Howard Was Talked Out of Singing "PIMP" Song that won a Oscar

Venom Skywalker said:
How could it set us back any amount of years when it's our current reality? You think rap music is some dirty secret that black folk have successfully hidden in the back of our closets? :retard: If you gone be embarrassed, dont just be embarrassed when you see it on the stage at the Oscars.

Yet, Northern Tiger has Twista (who collabs with 3 6 Mafia in his sig)

you are a sad case man.

wake up black man....quit being ashamed of yourself.

Re: Howard Was Talked Out of Singing "PIMP" Song

Shamocha said:
OK I almost fell out when the song actually won. Soon as Queen Latifah started chuckling I knew they had won.

When they sent Queen up there to introduce 'em, I knew they won!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Warndalyn said:
I actually enjoyed the performance, and everyone knows I'm not a rap fan. I thought it was good. The dancers were wonderful, too...and I'm glad they won. Who GAF what the white folks say about it? What did y'all think they'd say? :rolleyes: and I don't know why y'all black folks are/were embarrassed...hell, don't y'all listen to this music day in and day out?

and another thing...why was Terrance suppose to sing the song? It's not his damn song...he's an actor.

We as blacks still don't get it. We don't understand what makes us US. Most of us came from down trotten environments only to rise above it & become successful citizens in the USA. I will never act as if I don't know anything about that. I won't act as if I am ashamed of myself either, my childhood environment is apart of me...it didn't consume me but it did help shape me into what I am today.

Do I accept the conditions no, I want them to change...I don't want us to stay like this but these things are very real in our lives...me being black & not appreciating that type of music is lying to myself.

P.S. T. Howard did right not to perform the song...he is an actor NOT a Rapper. 3 6 represented well.

Warndalyn said:
I actually enjoyed the performance, and everyone knows I'm not a rap fan. I thought it was good. The dancers were wonderful, too...and I'm glad they won. Who GAF what the white folks say about it? What did y'all think they'd say? :rolleyes: and I don't know why y'all black folks are/were embarrassed...hell, don't y'all listen to this music day in and day out?

and another thing...why was Terrance suppose to sing the song? It's not his damn song...he's an actor.

I agree Warndalyn!

I was happy for them, and I am glad they won! As for that stupidazz comment up there about folks remind us that we are still N-words. They can't remind me of some S_hit that I never believed in the first place. That's some stupidazz stuff to say.

Brave said:
I thank you for showing yourself northen Tiger.

I have one question for you...do you even know what the true essence of hip hop arrived from? I'll answer it for you, Hip hop was an expression of the life some of us grew up around that mostly WHITE society, now YOU (uncle tom type) ignored as if it doesn't exist. It was a voice from the street, saying: hey we are HERE no matter how bad it seems to you...we living this, this is REAL, this is our REALITY. You can turn a deaf ear to it but it doesn't mean it isn't for real.

I thought Hip-Hop derived as a way to communicate about issues going on in the Black community at a time when Blacks weren't allowed to do that through the normal media. In a sense....Hip-Hop is teaching a lesson.
I was reading an interview with Tavis, and when asked about the direction hip hop was/is going on his response was along these lines..
He wasn't against today's music his only thing was that Chuck D said it was intended to deliver a message and his only question was what message is being delivered. Does it still hold the same purpose/truth it held when Hip Hop originated. I think we can all say, "No".
So with that being said...what message is being delivered through this song. I have the CD, know the words....~shrugs~

Brave said:
Reality is quality to me...you say I should be ashamed of something that is authentic & shows what is really going on in some parts of our black 'hoods' never. It needs to be displayed, now that it is out...people like you should help change that until it isn't a reality. Instead you want to hide it as if it really isn't going on.

You say you grew up around this...then it is apart of you, it made you into what you are today...you saw it & knew that wasn't the route you wanted to take....of all people you should be the one speaking in behalf of the representation. It spoke for your growing into a man & all that you had to go through as a black man to make it in TODAY's society.

But in a sense, isn't this 'glorifying' something that is not helping the 'hoods'?
Why would you want to continue to 'glorify' it just b/c it is a part of the 'history' of Black hoods.
Should we be ashamed of our 'history' no, but I think we should be ashamed that we are still doing the same thing in the Black 'hoods' that we were doing over 20 years ago and it is not helping the 'hood'.
Shouldn't we start to grow from this at some point?

Brave said:
Yet, Northern Tiger has Twista (who collabs with 3 6 Mafia in his sig)

you are a sad case man.

wake up black man....quit being ashamed of yourself.

Yaw n@gg@z need to stop. Evidently you a all have a comprehension problem. I already posted that I might be more a tad bit familiar with the topic of pimps than the next. I believe I stated that I am far from ashamed. My point since you all missed it was the bigger picture of the glorification of "our" negative images. If the song was satirical I could understand. But see, yaw on here talkin' about the song like it's the sh@t.

Don't be on here tryin' to front me about Twista. He falls in the same category as Do or Die, Da Brat (comin' straight from the 60644), Crucial Conflict, Robert Townsend, Isiah Thomas. Larenz Tate, and The Bishop Don "Magic" Juan.

WE ALL
WESTSIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I claims them all.

Just keep it in perspective.

Passin' judgement azz kneegrows talkin about somebody is a sad case. :smh:

southsuburbs said:
I thought Hip-Hop derived as a way to communicate about issues going on in the Black community at a time when Blacks weren't allowed to do that through the normal media. In a sense....Hip-Hop is teaching a lesson.
I was reading an interview with Tavis, and when asked about the direction hip hop was/is going on his response was along these lines..
He wasn't against today's music his only thing was that Chuck D said it was intended to deliver a message and his only question was what message is being delivered. Does it still hold the same purpose/truth it held when Hip Hop originated. I think we can all say, "No".
So with that being said...what message is being delivered through this song. I have the CD, know the words....~shrugs~

But in a sense, isn't this 'glorifying' something that is not helping the 'hoods'?
Why would you want to continue to 'glorify' it just b/c it is a part of the 'history' of Black hoods.
Should we be ashamed of our 'history' no, but I think we should be ashamed that we are still doing the same thing in the Black 'hoods' that we were doing over 20 years ago and it is not helping the 'hood'.
Shouldn't we start to grow from this at some point?

Only a ignorant soul can listen to music & not get the message. If you ask any rapper they will tell you. "We just telling you what goes on in the hood." Of course, mainstream has watered down the effectiveness of the message but it is still there. Some of the REALNESS in hip hop has lost its luster...it is so commerical now that the ART of the Music isn't authentic. It is up to US listen & not be consumed by 'Music'. Just like it is up to us to see that life style & not be consumed by 'it'. Get it? We can't help that we were born into those environments...all we can do is change it.

As long as it is going on, hip hop has a voice that SHOULD speak that, when we change...so will hip hop. You say we still doing the same stuff from 20years ago....that means me & you as blacks getting out of that environment still have WORK to do to bring US out of that. Ignoring it and acting like it isn't going on won't do that.

The fight is still on kid.

northern tiger said:
Passin' judgement azz kneegrows talkin about somebody is a sad case. :smh:

I apologize for that statement, for that I am sorry.

Your deragotory thoughts struck me wrong.

NASTYNUPE said:
Sometimes we hate us more than they do.

Co-sign!

Congrats to Three 6 Mafia. They did the darn thing! I agree, they will get more pub and deals because of this win. I read in an article posted on USAToday last week that they were going to keep the performance clean. They wanted to use this as an opportunity to collobarate on more movies. Now, they will definitely get their chance. Very smart of them. :tup:

I think what needs to be recognized and applauded is the effort made by the Academy of Motion Pictures to seriously consider an ethnic, urban film (to start with). There have been blaxploitation and hop-hop films for years that never got any seriously recognition from the Academy. And the fact that not only did they consider the movie, the voters voted for the soundtrack (and it won) speaks volumes about how far our 'art' (in the motion picture sense) has become... John Singleton, the Hudlin Brothers, Melvin and Mario Van Peebles, Robert Townsend, Keenan Wayans and others have directed and produced films for years, with little attention from the 'mainstream' movie associations.....

I'm just glad the voters recognized the song, in relation to the role it played in the movie. The song would've never won if the movie wasn't taken seriously.... Remember that....

silentrage said:
Co-sign!

Congrats to Three 6 Mafia. They did the darn thing! I agree, they will get more pub and deals because of this win. I read in an article posted on USAToday last week that they were going to keep the performance clean. They wanted to use this as an opportunity to collobarate on more movies. Now, they will definitely get their chance. Very smart of them. :tup:

The performance put me in the mind of folks dancing on both West Side Story and on the Michael Jackson's "Beat It" Video.

Taylor-Made'90 said:
I think what needs to be recognized and applauded is the effort made by the Academy of Motion Pictures to seriously consider an ethnic, urban film (to start with). There have been blaxploitation and hop-hop films for years that never got any seriously recognition from the Academy. And the fact that not only did they consider the movie, the voters voted for the soundtrack (and it won) speaks volumes about how far our 'art' (in the motion picture sense) has become... John Singleton, the Hudlin Brothers, Melvin and Mario Van Peebles, Robert Townsend, Keenan Wayans and others have directed and produced films for years, with little attention from the 'mainstream' movie associations.....

I'm just glad the voters recognized the song, in relation to the role it played in the movie. The song would've never won if the movie wasn't taken seriously.... Remember that....

Why should we thank them? Like you said there have been "bloxploitation and h(i)p-hop films" in the past that were overlooked.
Instead of saying "thank you" I think we should say, "bout daymn time".
Also...just as we benefitted from it they basically were trying to get more Black and/or younger folks to tune in for that long, dry, boring show.

southsuburbs said:
Why should we thank them? Like you said there have been "bloxploitation and h(i)p-hop films" in the past that were overlooked.

:tup:

southsuburbs said:
Also...just as we benefitted from it they basically were trying to get more Black and/or younger folks to tune in for that long, dry, boring show.
That was exactly it...the Oscars knew what they were doing. They're trying to broaden their audience. I'm sure there were more black/younger folks tuned in last night, than ever before. Not many folks of color watch the Oscars, anyway. The show is normally boring as hell.

Brave said:
I thank you for showing yourself northen Tiger.

How dare yo ****re azz call me Uncle Tom. It's obvious that you haven't been exposed to much as far as diversity as a youth, shoot, even adult hood. The world isn't all just black and white.

I have one question for you...do you even know what the true essence of hip hop arrived from? I'll answer it for you, Hip hop was an expression of the life some of us grew up around that mostly WHITE society, now YOU (uncle tom type) ignored as if it doesn't exist. It was a voice from the street, saying: hey we are HERE no matter how bad it seems to you...we living this, this is REAL, this is our REALITY. You can turn a deaf ear to it but it doesn't mean it isn't for real.

Reality is quality to me...you say I should be ashamed of something that is authentic & shows what is really going on in some parts of our black 'hoods' never. It needs to be displayed, now that it is out...people like you should help change that until it isn't a reality. Instead you want to hide it as if it really isn't going on. And where are you from with this passin' judgement mess?

You say you grew up around this...then it is apart of you, it made you into what you are today...you saw it & knew that wasn't the route you wanted to take....of all people you should be the one speaking in behalf of the representation. It spoke for your growing into a man & all that you had to go through as a black man to make it in TODAY's society.

You want us to be ashamed of how we grew up & hide it....I guess you are ashamed of yourself. So do you got a grill and a platinum chain?

If you told your life story would you leave this part out of it? if so you need to re-examine yourself.

How dare yo simple minded azz call me an Uncle Tom. I was involved in the planning and organization of a sit in at JSU right before I left. It's obvious that you haven't been exposed to much as far as diversity as a youth, shoot, even adulthood.

I don't need your interpretation because I've been buying it since '80 (I have the original "The Message" which was on 12" inch). Public Enemy, Boogie Down Production, Dela Soul, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane as well as many others were in major rotation while I was @ JSU. How many times have you been behind the turntables. Were you in the park with Kool Moe Dee and Busy B.? Have you ever been to the Burning Spear, The Latin Quarters, or The Fever? If not, takin your comments some where else. What kind of culture is crunk? House and Steppin' are cultures. Like I said before, passin' judgement azz kneegrows!!!!!

I love how people talk from the outside in. Always trying to conceptualize sh@t when they have NO clue.

If the concept of my sig didn't go over you and anyone else who wanted to make reference to it's head, we would be havin' this conversation. :smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hold on now kid, don't get upset with me

you are the one saying that, that performance set us back 100yrs. You are angry with yourself don't take it out on me.

I just told the truth in your messed up ideas....you are the one who stated that you are ashamed. If you did all of that & still feel sick in the stomach because of what 3 6 did...that is YOU.

Just because you don't agree with the FORM of hip hop doesn't mean it isn't hip hop. I'm not a fan of 3 6 Mafia but I can appreciate their music & what they try to get across. I've seen them live in concert with Twista (though not a fan of either).

Even the white kids can express what goes on in their hood if they want to. M&M exposed some of the hardships in white america (though I'm not a fan). The white community has a problem with prescription drugs as of now...if a rapper wants to rap about that in a song then so be it.

Hip Hop is a big melting pot...reading the info in your previous post seems you should know that?

Sorry for the judgement but you were out of line...I had to say what I had to say.

You let it be known that you are WORRIED about what 'Whitey' is saying about us. Bump Whitey...they don't know what it is to be black...we are US in our entirety good & bad. You however do know what it is....3 6 even displayed some of your environment growing up into a man....if you don't want to acknowlege that and accept it then that is you.

Brave said:
Hold on now kid, don't get upset with me

you are the one saying that, that performance set us back 100yrs. You are angry with yourself don't take it out on me.

Take that Jedi Mind Trick mess somewhere else. I love how some people can harp on one point when there's actually ten. See, that's why you gotta take kids to museums and plays (non Tyler Perry) so they can be exposed to culture so when there introduced to others as they grow older, they're more accepting. Misinterpretation, sorry, lack of comprehension, my fault, not having a clue of your own race's culture is a mug. I didn't mean to go that deep with you. I will throw you a life saver so you can stop drowning in the "shallow" end of the pool.

Congrats!!! I am extremely proud of 3-6 Mafia!!!! This performance did not set us back by any means! Heck same mofos talking about it set us back will be the ones at the concert bobbing they heads talking bout they gave a hayell of a show!!!

Congrats Again!!!

northern tiger said:
What kind of culture is crunk? House and Steppin' are cultures.
You have no clue. Crunk, which is an offspring of New Orleans bounce, has plenty of culture in it. New Orleans was the only city where slaves were premitted to keep their African culture. African music is big on chants and drums. Bounce music foundation is chanting and strong drums and so is crunk. There is a documentary on Mardi Gras, New Orleans music and culture, that you need to check out.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
You have no clue. Crunk, which is an offspring of New Orleans bounce, has plenty of culture in it. New Orleans was the only city were slaves were premitted to keep their African culture. African music is big on chants and drums. Bounce music foundation is chanting and strong drums and so is crunk. There is a documentary on Mardi Gras, New Orleans music and culture, that you need to check out.

So the "crunk" music that Lil Jon puts out is the culture that you're speaking of?

southsuburbs said:
So the "crunk" music that Lil Jon puts out is the culture that you're speaking of?
He uses strong drum patterns and uses chants in his music, which he got from New Orleans artist, who got it from their ancestors, so yea. Do some research on New Orleans music.

Taylor-Made'90 said:

Actually, the theme from "Shaft" by Issac Hayes won best original song at the Oscars back in 1972, but the message in your post is on point. I'm not a big rap fan myself, but I said much the same thing about the Academy, in that they actually considered the score, and its context in the movie. That's how the Oscar for Best Original Song is supposed to be evaluated.

Looks like the Academy is getting out of its stuffed shirts, and staring to loosen up a bit.

Now, as far as the Wayans' movies are concerned....I haven't seen any of their mess YET that deserved any consideration from the Academy! They don't even get nominated for NAACP or Soul Train awards....and they shouldn't!!

Back