How to make the SWAC Tournament better

It was at Southern one year. The tournament was not at SU because SU was the top seed, I think the conference was trying to do Southern a favor.

I say that because the two prior years it was in Dallas and SU didn't win once. The following year the tournament moved to SU campus and SU still didn't win (Alcorn).

Bruh I don't need you to tell me when we hosted the games okay? I was referring to when sTu hosted the games.

The tournament isn't appealing to me. If I was to go I could imagine myself asking myself why is this tournament located here? The tournament really needs to be moved. I remember the tournament in Biloxi it was a great location.

The arena in Biloxi was a DUMP and that's putting it mildly. I went the year it was in Biloxi.

Bruh I don't need you to tell me when we hosted the games okay? I was referring to when sTu hosted the games.

I'm not sure if we were the top seed, but I believe we host the tournament when the HP&he Arena first open. I think TSU won one year and JSU won the other. Lindsay Hunter was on that JSU team.

That would be the best option but I was just picking a centralized location in case PV or a Bama school made the finals.

Houston offers everything except a centralized location. Maybe I should have ask, have you ever been to the championship game when your school wasn't playing? Is that too much to ask people to show up if their school is not playing?

Man think about it? Who in they right mind would have a SWAC BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT IN HOUSTON? How would you market that? All these different activities going on in Houston. Ain't nobody paying no attention to no SWAC BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT IN HOUSTON. If you have in Biloxi with a smaller area but things to do you could market it better. People would flock to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Im just saying if I go to HOUSTON I'm not thinking about no SWAC BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT especially at no major city like Houston. That's like having it in LA , Vegas, or New Orleans, and Miami. SMH

I bet it doesn't now. But the tournament should be in a smaller venue NOT the Toyota center. It looks crazy on tv with a big arena. It looks like 10 people inside the arena. I would have it at Biloxi, Jackson, Baton Rouge, or Delmar.

I just don't see a need to take the attention away from the conference schools when we have facilities that can accommodate the games.

I bet it doesn't now. But the tournament should be in a smaller venue NOT the Toyota center. It looks crazy on tv with a big arena. It looks like 10 people inside the arena. I would have it at Biloxi, Jackson, Baton Rouge, or Delmar.

Delmar is a Dump, cheaply built. There are 3 older arenas in the Houston area that are better than Delmar.

The tournament isn't appealing to me. If I was to go I could imagine myself asking myself why is this tournament located here? The tournament really needs to be moved. I remember the tournament in Biloxi it was a great location.

I thought so to, but those Mississippi Gulf Coast police and beach residences get stuck in their "you can't sit or park here" mode around black events. I have seen the difference during black rodeos, hoopsfest, and black spring breaks on the Ms Coast plenty of times.

I was fine with Houston. I would like to see New Orleans and Dallas on the radar as well. The SWAC is going to have to find a way to promote the tournament better and add in another event that might get folks interested in attending the semi final and final games.

I thought so to, but those Mississippi Gulf Coast police and beach residences get stuck in their "you can't sit or park here" mode around black events. I have seen the difference during black rodeos, hoopsfest, and black spring breaks on the Ms Coast plenty of times.

I was fine with Houston. I would like to see New Orleans and Dallas on the radar as well. The SWAC is going to have to find a way to promote the tournament better and add in another event that might get folks interested in attending the semi final and final games.
Yea I agree somewhere smaller.

Houston offers everything except a centralized location. Maybe I should have ask, have you ever been to the championship game when your school wasn't playing? Is that too much to ask people to show up if their school is not playing?

Bro I work 60 hours a week and I stay in Atlanta. Only way im going to a SWAC tournament is if its near by (Mississippi, Bama, GA..Ill go to Baton Rouge but thats pushing it)

Man think about it? Who in they right mind would have a SWAC BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT IN HOUSTON? How would you market that? All these different activities going on in Houston. Ain't nobody paying no attention to no SWAC BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT IN HOUSTON. If you have in Biloxi with a smaller area but things to do you could market it better. People would flock to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Im just saying if I go to HOUSTON I'm not thinking about no SWAC BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT especially at no major city like Houston. That's like having it in LA , Vegas, or New Orleans, and Miami. SMH

You have to market it to SWAC fans. If you come to Houston what are you coming here to do (just asking)?

Bro I work 60 hours a week and I stay in Atlanta. Only way im going to a SWAC tournament is if its near by (Mississippi, Bama, GA..Ill go to Baton Rouge but thats pushing it)

If you work 60 hrs a week you are getting it done. What is the difference between a flight to Baton Rouge and Houston? Hell, you need a mini vacation.

You have to market it to SWAC fans. If you come to Houston what are you coming here to do (just asking)?

Basketball is an entirely different animal than football as is baseball. You're not trying to to get 20-50k to attend all you're looking for is between 5-7k and those numbers come mainly from each school fanbase and the conference locals. (sorry atl-hornet)

You're not looking for people who want to shop or go gamble but whose interest is solely on the game and the players who play the game

Last edited:
Man how has Txsu and PV fans done in Houston at big arenas like Reliant and Astrodome? Man I've been to HOUSTON numerous of times to go to restaurants ever school on the wall but PV and Txsu. Houston so big with different activities, I could go to HOUSTON with the intention of going to the Swac tournament but find something better to do I'm just saying. Swac TOURNAMENT has to go point blank.

If SWAC people attended the tournament attendance would not be an issue. It is a matter of where you want to spend your money. When I could not make the entire four days I would make Friday and Saturday for sure...even if we were not in the finals. And if we got bumped before the finals I stayed for the finals. I did not pack my stuff and go home. Whether it was in Birmingham, Bossier City, Garland or Houston.

We need to stop being so selfish and support the SWAC. We support the conference the same way we support our schools. If you cannot afford to make the trip or have to work that is one thing and understandable but not coming because your school did not make the tournament or got bumped out before the finals is beyond sad and if it was held in your backyards you would not show up.

Man how has Txsu and PV fans done in Houston at big arenas like Reliant and Astrodome? Man I've been to HOUSTON numerous of times to go to restaurants ever school on the wall but PV and Txsu. Houston so big with different activities, I could go to HOUSTON with the intention of going to the Swac tournament but find something better to do I'm just saying. Swac TOURNAMENT has to go point blank.
Then you were not coming for the tournament.

There was a time sTu and PV would put 30+ thousand in the Astrodome. As a matter of fact sTu and GSU had standing room only in the dome. Marketing played a very big part in putting butts in the seats and they used the coaching personalities and halftimes as drawing cards for those games.

sTu v Grambling was billed as A Game and a Half and I am talking TV commercials not just radio.

If SWAC people attended the tournament attendance would not be an issue. It is a matter of where you want to spend your money. When I could not make the entire four days I would make Friday and Saturday for sure...even if we were not in the finals. And if we got bumped before the finals I stayed for the finals. I did not pack my stuff and go home. Whether it was in Birmingham, Bossier City, Garland or Houston.

We need to stop being so selfish and support the SWAC. We support the conference the same way we support our schools. If you cannot afford to make the trip or have to work that is one thing and understandable but not coming because your school did not make the tournament or got bumped out before the finals is beyond sad and if it was held in your backyards you would not show up.

You're 100% correct . Having said that the games need to go back to the old format of the top seeded school hosting . There is absolutely no rational reason to have those game played off campus when we have the facilities .

We need to stick with what works and not let a few shallow thinkers deter us from that. If it ain't broke folks need to stop trying to fix it

Last edited:
Back