How to make the SWAC Tournament better

Last year at this time I was all about giving it a shot in Houston and trying to grow it like the CIAA. I think next year is the last year of the contract for Houston (or 2019. It's one of those years for sure). If you got a hometown team in the semifinals and championship game and can't draw 4-5K people then you gotta look at going back to regular season champs hosting it. A few people pointed out to me that the conference, presidents, coaches and SIDs want it in Houston but at some point, some people are gonna have to swallow their pride and admit that paying over $100K a day to rent and operate the Toyota Center doesn't make sense if you ain't drawing 1500 people a day

If you decide to keep it in Houston and want student support at these games, the conference will have to look at bumping up the tourney one week and start the conference slate last week of December like a number of conferences do. That would also allow the championship game to get on ESPN/ESPN2 instead of ESPNU

Damn five different thread spinning the same thing. It ain't rocket science if they want larger crowds and spend less money the games need to be played on the top seeded school campus or a swac school in close proximity that can at least hold 5-7k.

Damn five different thread spinning the same thing. It ain't rocket science if they want larger crowds and spend less money the games need to be played on the top seeded school campus or a swac school in close proximity that can at least hold 5-7k.

Would you rather play or watch the game at JSU, SU, TSU, Al St. or the Toyota Center?

Another thing....we areally competing with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo...UIL Playoffs (although held in San Antonio we miss out on those athletes and fans) plus our Spring Break is after the tournament.

Move it to Delmar since holding it on our campus is an issue. Better parking...less traffic...decent eating places in the area and not far from the Galleria.

I was trying to dig up some archives to see where they played when it was the top seeded school hosting.

What about offering the Alabama schools a special ticket? They must purchase in advance, buy tickets for more than one session, half off tickets, and they must show proof of living in Alabama in order to get in with this special ticket.

I was trying to dig up some archives to see where they played when it was the top seeded school hosting.

It was at Southern one year. The tournament was not at SU because SU was the top seed, I think the conference was trying to do Southern a favor.

I say that because the two prior years it was in Dallas and SU didn't win once. The following year the tournament moved to SU campus and SU still didn't win (Alcorn).

Back