How much longer will Avery Johnson last at Bama?

Alabama basketball can be good. The fans just have ignorantly high expectations due to being spoiled with football. If they aren't as good as Kentucky/Duke, etc, then the average Alabama fan thinks they suck. Thing is, most average Alabama fans don't understand basketball. Ask one about KemPom rankings, and they'll just stare you in the face.

I guess this shows you how much I really know or follow Crimson Tide Basketball. The last time I remember them having any kind of relevance was when Wimp Sanderson was around. After he was fired, Bama seemed to have some good individual players but I never thought of them as a Basketball school.

@DAHILL How was they horrible under Grant? They went to the NIT his second year and the NCAA Tourney his third year (something they had not done in like 5 or 6 years before) then back to the NIT. What more can you ask from a school where football is King?

I've simply never thought highly of Crimson Tide Basketball. I used to joke and say UAB or South Alabama would have better shot of winning a National Championship before Alabama. But that was when those schools were much stronger than they are now in the sport. Remember when Bama would not play them and when they did, it was because they had to in the NCAA or NIT tourneys and Bama lost to both of them?

@2kool I think Crimson Tide Basketball will never rise above it's hip as long as football is king...now on the other side of the state, long as Bruce Pearl is over there not getting caught up in something shady, War Eagle Basketball is what you want to watch out for...LOL! He as made them relevant just like that!

Both Bama and Auburn programs are on the uptick. Johnson and Pearl have recruited talented players and the fans are excited. There were 51 NBA scouts and the Cleveland owner at the Bama/Oklahoma game and they were not there only to see Trae Young.

I didnt say the team was horrible... I said Grant as a coach as horrible.... Thus the reason a lot of players transferred. His style was BORING. He had athletes but didnt want to run. Thats the reason Trevor Lacey transferred then was ALL ACC at NC State. I was GLAD to see him go..... also Avery kicked Pearl ass this year!
That's kind of weird considering he learned under Billy Donovan.

Avery Johnson's Crimson Tide blasts #23 Florida in a dominant second half performance.
I don't know what to make of Florida. I know they've been having injury problems with their bigs all season, but one game they'll shoot top-ranked teams out the gym, then follow it up losing to sorry teams or not having much offense against solid teams like Bama.

From what I am hearing, Alabama fans are happy

I would say more of "understanding' than "happy", Alabama is a football school. I hate to say it, but if the A.D., President, and Nick Saban are happy, Avery will be ok. Next year could be special if everything falls in place. Most coaches in any sport need a 4 year plan when rebuilding a program. The plan should look like the following:

Year 1 - Lose big
Year 2 - Lose close
Year 3 - Win close
Year 4 - Win Big
Year 5 and above - Stabilize the program or take to a higher level

Women

Grambling vs Southern
Game Time: 12:00pm CT
TV/Stream: ESPN3

Jackson St vs Prairie View A&M
Game Time: 6:00pm CT

Men

Grambling vs Prairie View A&M
Game Time: 2:30pm CT

Alabama St vs Texas Southern
Game Time: 8:30pm CT

Every since, Alabama hired Avery Johnson to be the head basketball coach. I have probably been his biggest advocate in this state. Well, the die-hard black Alabama football fans ask, "why do you support him?" Ahhhhh, he attended an HBCU. Man, it's crazy. These folks will harm, or injure you about Alabama football. But, they want even support Avery Johnson.

Last edited by a moderator:
its bama basketball - kinda like Clemson basketball, Texas A&M basketball, USC basketball, etc.

the mission at those schools for basketball is to be competitive every so often and make a tourney run to buy time for spring football. Make some national noise some years and that's it. The demographics of the "true" Bama fan doesn't mesh with basketball nor track, etc. Baseball arguably is the second most popular sport on campus and they take that more serious that basketball.

He just hasn’t been able to get the job done. He has brought in some good recruits. If Bruce Pearl can win and have success at Auburn, AJ should be able to at Alabama.

He just hasn’t been able to get the job done. He has brought in some good recruits. If Bruce Pearl can win and have success at Auburn, AJ should be able to at Alabama.

I wouldn't say going to the second round of last year NCAA regional tourney and having a 1st round draft pick to the NBA isn't "getting the job done." 3 out of 4 years post season appearance though two was the NIT and 4 overall winning season's isn't exactly shabby either. No one was in that arena before Avery Johnson arrived....BTW, Alabama hasn't won a basketball conference title in 18 years and a tourney championship in 28 years so they aren't exactly a bastion of basketball tradition....smh & lol

Last edited:
Reactions: J C
He aint a college coach.
I wouldn't say going to the second round of last year NCAA regional tourney and having a 1st round draft pick to the NBA isn't "getting the job done." 3 out of 4 years post season appearance though two was the NIT and 4 overall winning season's isn't exactly shabby either. No one was in that arena before Avery Johnson arrived....BTW, Alabama hasn't won a basketball conference title in 18 years and a tourney championship in 28 years so they aren't exactly a bastion of basketball tradition....smh & lol

Avery got the same exact team he had last year minus Sexton and regressed. NO player got better.... hell 3 players regressed. I wanted him to be successful but he isn’t a college coach. He can recruit but is horrible at developing . Bama has much better talent than Auburn and Bruce just won the SEC.

He aint a college coach.

Avery got the same exact team he had last year minus Sexton and regressed. NO player got better.... hell 3 players regressed. I wanted him to be successful but he isn’t a college coach. He can recruit but is horrible at developing . Bama has much better talent than Auburn and Bruce just won the SEC.

The NBA coach on the college level is so unproven. Dunleavy just got fired, Mark Price didn't work out at UNCC, Eddie Jordan, Isiah Thomas, etc etc

Bruce Pearl took over the worst program in the SEC and has won an SEC regular season championship and an SEC tournament championship in five years. AJ has had much better talent than Pearl at Auburn.

He aint a college coach.

Good thing you don't make that decision...LOL All you're saying here is the Sexton made the people around him better.

Good thing you don't make that decision...LOL All you're saying here is the Sexton made the people around him better.

He told no lies. The team has added more talent (a 5 star guard from Huntsville) and they have regressed due to poor coaching.

College ball is different than the NBA.

And Bruce Pearl gone leave Auburn in shambles. He aint on the up and up. LOL.

Back