How much longer will Avery Johnson last at Bama?

Sources: Bama negotiating buyout with Johnson

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer
9:03 PM PT

Alabama is in the process of negotiating a buyout with head coach Avery Johnson, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Johnson took over the Crimson Tide in 2015, replacing Anthony Grant after six seasons. He's only been to one NCAA tournament during his four seasons in Tuscaloosa, beating Virginia Tech last season in the first round and finishing 20-16. This season, the Crimson Tide came up short on Selection Sunday and then lost their first NIT game at home to Norfolk State on Wednesday.

…..

Do you post on Facebook? There plenty of proof over there. 😆

Dont let social media confuse you. A lot of folks you see on social media wearing Alabama/Auburn paraphernalia actually spend real money on A&M/State. Its a symptom of having no pro sports teams.

Dont let social media confuse you. A lot of folks you see on social media wearing Alabama/Auburn paraphernalia actually spend real money on A&M/State. Its a symptom of having no pro sports teams.
Uhhh....no, that wasn't my point. But carry on.

Uhhh....no, that wasn't my point. But carry on.

I know that wasn't your point, hence why I provided more boots-on-the-ground insight.

I don't expect people in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi to understand what's going on in a state they can't relate to. LOL

Black players play harder for White coaches? That's BS. Avery just couldn't get the job done. I saw on a Bama message board this morning that Mike Davis might get a look. I doubt he'd get the job but I think he'd be an improvement over Avery.

A lot of those players are wayyyy overrated - John Petty being the main one. He was overrated in high school and it has continued since he has transitioned to college.

Reactions: J C
Black players play harder for White coaches? That's BS. Avery just couldn't get the job done. I saw on a Bama message board this morning that Mike Davis might get a look. I doubt he'd get the job but I think he'd be an improvement over Avery.

Its easy for people unfamiliar with the situation to blame it on racism. It surely looks that way on the surface with the last two coaches being black and eventually fired. But what people dont realize is the 2 WHITE coaches hired before them had marginal results and flamed out and got fired as well.

Alabama basketball just isn't a destination program for highly desirable coaches OR players. It doesn't have the same success history, fan expectation (notice I didn't say support) and structure as Kentucky and other programs.

Alabama isn't a place for someone who has never built a winning basketball program.

Its easy for people unfamiliar with the situation to blame it on racism. It surely looks that way on the surface with the last two coaches being black and eventually fired. But what people dont realize is the 2 WHITE coaches hired before them had marginal results and flamed out and got fired as well.

Alabama basketball just isn't a destination program for highly desirable coaches OR players. It doesn't have the same success history, fan expectation (notice I didn't say support) and structure as Kentucky and other programs.

Alabama isn't a place for someone who has never built a winning basketball program.

I feel about Alabama basketball as I do about LSU (my alma mater) basketball. These programs don't have enough to sell to a top tier basketball player so if they are to be competitive they need to be doing something under the table. Avery had some recruiting successes but I think he was clean; not like Will Wade. And, I don't fault Will Wade. Will is doing what he has to do to make LSU basketball a success.

I feel about Alabama basketball as I do about LSU (my alma mater) basketball. These programs don't have enough to sell to a top tier basketball player so if they are to be competitive they need to be doing something under the table. Avery had some recruiting successes but I think he was clean; not like Will Wade. And, I don't fault Will Wade. Will is doing what he has to do to make LSU basketball a success.

I respectfully agree. Hell, I have been saying the same damn thing for years. And it ain't just basketball either. Just my opinion folks.

Case by case basis. You think black Indiana players liked Bobby Knight?

Auburn has players transfer out every year because of the racist good ole boys down there.

Nothing is absolute

I respectfully agree. Hell, I have been saying the same damn thing for years. And it ain't just basketball either. Just my opinion folks.
It depends on the players and how much respect they have for who the coach is.

The previous 2 white guys 1992-2009 17 years
Hobbs
110–76 (.591) 2 NIT & NCAA tourn (made it out the first round 3 straight years) 1 losing record
Gottfried
210–131 (.616) 2 NIT 5 Ncaa 3 first round exits 1 losing record
11 post seasons trips

10 years
Grant
117–85 (.579) 3 NIT 1 NCAA no losing season 1 first round exit
Johnson
75–62 (.547) 1 NCAA & 3 NIT post season every year 3 first round exits
8 Post seasons trips

There are schools who would KILL for this. Not just schools in the SWAC or MEAC.

Another knock on Avery. Remember, the 2006 NBA finals? He had the Heat down 0-2? What happened after game 2? 2007... He had the number #1 seed in the playoffs, and lost in the first round. Look, I support Avery. But, he doesn't make adjustments in the second half.

At least Alabama basketball is pretending to have standards.

How long has Lewis Jackson been at Alabama State? Hell, we just extended our coach that went 5-27.

How often are SWAC basketball coaches kept around with consistent sub .500 records? Can we not collectively raise the bar? Especially considering we are in the same D1 as everyone else....

I like Avery and I like what Bama is doing. Bama is a university that isn't resting on its laurels. Their student enrollment is booming because they have went outside of the State of Alabama to recruit some of the best students in the country while giving these students full academic scholarships and the football program is fueling all of this. Here's an article on how UA has expanded https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html. Bama is swimming in money and they went out and spent money to get Avery. And, they aren't hesitating to spend money on what they feel is a better coach to replace Avery.

Back