House of Payne

I finally sat through a full episode last nite. I actually watched both episodes to try to give it a fair shake. I just wasn't that interested. It wasn't that funny to me and I felt like I was just waiting for things to happen. I tried, but I don't think this is the show for me.

Lawd knows I love me some Tyler Perry, but I feel the same way. Certain parts were funny.

And :lol: @ "grindiddy!" Now that shat was funny, but honestly, I think Brown is a LOT funnier on the stage than on the sit com. :nod:

The funniest I've ever seen him was in "Meet the Browns." Brown had not only the audience hollering, but even Cora laughed so hard, she had to excuse herself from the stage. :emlaugh:

Supporting things simply because black people are involved no matter the level of quality is a detriment to our race. Rather than demand a higher standard we reward mediocrity and doom ourselves to remain at that level. In all honesty the best way to support TP in this is to either tell him to get some experienced sitcom people on his team or pack it up and take it back to the movies and stage before he kills the brand and then we will have nothing. The show actually makes it LOOK like black people can't write a sitcom.

Preach my brotha!!!!

House of Payne is very painful to watch. :xeye: T.P. has recycled all of his plays into a sitcom.

I really wish he would do better.:rolleyes:

I have to be honest, as it is documented in previous posts of this thread, I didn't like this show at all. But for some reason, i stuck with it and I have done a complete 180. Curtis Payne is funny as hell! The show is funny and I have yet to miss an episode (thanks to my DVR).

Supporting things simply because black people are involved no matter the level of quality is a detriment to our race. Rather than demand a higher standard we reward mediocrity and doom ourselves to remain at that level. In all honesty the best way to support TP in this is to either tell him to get some experienced sitcom people on his team or pack it up and take it back to the movies and stage before he kills the brand and then we will have nothing. The show actually makes it LOOK like black people can't write a sitcom.

I can watch some of the show. I know it can be bad at times. And we can demand better from our writers, however if they don't have a forum to air their show-nobody can really make any demands.

Look at the state of black sitcoms that are still in production:
Girlfriends, Everybody Hates Chris and The Game on The CW
Just Jordan on Nick
House of Payne
Romeo (just renewed for a new season) on BET of all networks.
No dramas, cartoons or soaps.

It would be REAL nice if BET was like our Hispanic network counterparts. Everything on their network is for them. Hispanic soaps, talk shows, news and so on. You don't hear them complaining even when George Lopez got axed for Caveman, a show that pokes fun at blacks (it was so obvious to the test audience that saw the pilot that they refilmed it).

Remember this series is pretty much the first series since Cosby not to share writers with other shows. In other words you can find the same writers for Moesha doing One on One, The Game, Girlfriends, Half & Half and other black shows.

Plus this series is pretty much what happen during the span of the first ten episodes that TP floated around to sell the series. You can only do so much in term of story since that 10th episode reveal everybody's fate. They also film the shows cheaply to save costs.

The ratings must be getting better because I heard a commercial during lucnh that said they are going to show 2 hours of this show now.

House of Payne is very painful to watch. :xeye: T.P. has recycled all of his plays into a sitcom.

I really wish he would do better.:rolleyes:

That is probably the reason why I am enjoying the sitcom so much because I haven't seen any of the plays.

That is probably the reason why I am enjoying the sitcom so much because I haven't seen any of the plays.

The plays are MUCH MUCH MUCH funnier. :nod: :nod:

U may not care for the singing, but personally I love it cause it's some folks on there that can sang something serious!! Like Cora and Brown (they married in real life)- Cora's voice gives me goose bumps everytime she sings. :tup:

To be honest, the plays are better than the sitcom. I think it's b/c it's live and they get to adlib more. I do believe the sitcom has definitely improved. :tup:

I can watch some of the show. I know it can be bad at times. And we can demand better from our writers, however if they don't have a forum to air their show-nobody can really make any demands.

Look at the state of black sitcoms that are still in production:
Girlfriends, Everybody Hates Chris and The Game on The CW
Just Jordan on Nick
House of Payne
Romeo (just renewed for a new season) on BET of all networks.
No dramas, cartoons or soaps.

It would be REAL nice if BET was like our Hispanic network counterparts. Everything on their network is for them. Hispanic soaps, talk shows, news and so on. You don't hear them complaining even when George Lopez got axed for Caveman, a show that pokes fun at blacks (it was so obvious to the test audience that saw the pilot that they refilmed it).

Remember this series is pretty much the first series since Cosby not to share writers with other shows. In other words you can find the same writers for Moesha doing One on One, The Game, Girlfriends, Half & Half and other black shows.

Plus this series is pretty much what happen during the span of the first ten episodes that TP floated around to sell the series. You can only do so much in term of story since that 10th episode reveal everybody's fate. They also film the shows cheaply to save costs.

Everytime I see a new black show coming out I get pissed at BET and soon to be TV One. The hispanics hit the ground running with their stations. But at the same time do we really have enough of an audience that wants to see more than just videos. If it were up to me though we'd have a black CNN as well.

Back