Honda, What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FAMU/Southern Debate will continue until The end of Time and probably after that. It's a matter of preference. Even as a Alumnus of The 100 I still love watching the JukeBox and watching them do what they do.

Good post Viper Phi. Both bands do their thing. No doubt about it. The great thing is both do not worry about what other bands do and pretty much stick to what is their staple. Can't hate on that. I just hate the MEAC and now the SWAC schedule mandates don't allow both schools to play each other every year. This is one of the longest out of conference rivalries in HBCU football.

The FAMU/Southern Debate will continue until The end of Time and probably after that. It's a matter of preference. Even as a Alumnus of The 100 I still love watching the JukeBox and watching them do what they do.

Mannn, no truer words have been spoken in this thread!!!! :clap: I've been saying for years to people that you are either going to like FAMU or you are going to like SU, it's a choice of preference.

FAMU has it's distinct style and SU has it's distinct style, neither band trys to conform to the other style.

This is what I think hurts some bands that could be great, IF they would only develop their own style and not copy another band. A band that comes to mind from the MEAC is BCU and a band that comes to mind from the SWAC is TSU.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mannn, no truer words have been spoken in this thread!!!! :clap: I've been saying for years to people that you are either going to like FAMU or you are going to like SU, it's a choice of preference.

FAMU has it's distinct style and SU has it's distinct style, neither band trys to conform to the other style.

This is what I think hurts some bands that could be great, IF they would only develop their own style and not copy another band. A band that comes to mind from the MEAC is BCU and a band that comes to mind from the SWAC is TSU.

Hate to be blunt about it but...when talking about the originality of both FAMU and SU... the only bands I can think of from the swac that don't mimick SU is UAPB......I'm talking stands or field ....as far as the Meac....I don't know of a band that doesn't take pages out of FAMU Book be it stand or field...to me the only battle worth arguing about... 2 totally different philosophies and 2 totally different beliefs......

Other bands only get props from FAMU because they see certain traits of their program in other bands....and the only reason most SU folk tend to favor other bands in other battles is because of the traits we see in those bands that obviosly pick up a few things we've been known to do...

Hate to be blunt about it but...when talking about the originality of both FAMU and SU... the only bands I can think of from the swac that don't mimick SU is UAPB......I'm talking stands or field ....as far as the Meac....I don't know of a band that doesn't take pages out of FAMU Book be it stand or field...to me the only battle worth arguing about... 2 totally different philosophies and 2 totally different beliefs......

Other bands only get props from FAMU because they see certain traits of their program in other bands....and the only reason most SU folk tend to favor other bands in other battles is because of the traits we see in those bands that obviosly pick up a few things we've been known to do...

Juke,
I would throw PV in that mix on who does their own thing in the SWAC. Since their late longtime band director was a grad of FAMU. I never have seen them do anything like us. You probably can add Bama State and AAMU to that mix as well. I think Bama State has more FAMU influence as well. AAMU I am not sure. Everyone else I aint commenting on.:D Wait, how can we forgot Gram. They don't either. They have their own style as well.

In the MEAC, some of those guys were from FAMU. I guess it is hard to not want to incorporate some of the FAMU influence. If I am not mistaken isn't that how SC State became the Marching 101? Don't pay any attention to too many MEAC bands. Howard has a SU influence with their directors as does Norfolk State and I know Morgan State used to have a SU grad up there. Don't know what they look like now or if they still have that SU style. Back in 83 they came to BR looking just like Southern. LOL.

Last edited:
Juke,
I would throw PV in that mix on who does their own thing in the SWAC. Since their late longtime band director was a grad of FAMU. I never have seen them do anything like us. You probably can add Bama State and AAMU to that mix as well. I think Bama State has more FAMU influence as well. AAMU I am not sure. Everyone else I aint commenting on.:D Wait, how can we forgot Gram. They don't either. They have their own style as well.

In the MEAC, some of those guys were from FAMU. I guess it is hard to not want to incorporate some of the FAMU influence. If I am not mistaken isn't that how SC State became the Marching 101? Don't pay any attention to too many MEAC bands. Howard has a SU influence with their directors as does Norfolk State and I know Morgan State used to have a SU grad up there. Don't know what they look like now or if they still have that SU style. Back in 83 they came to BR looking just like Southern. LOL.

You right about PV...gram surely have their own style on the field.... I think their arrangements trying to compete and have a brassy style arrangement is what hurt them... GSU used to do their own thing well in both the stands and field...wish they would tell my homeboys from new orleans that play are student arrangers that write for them to take their asses to BR and try out for SU because this is not the place for that...

Some other bands seems to want the HEAVY SU influence and have a bad habit of acting like they thought of it all by themselves...smh..and when the obvious originators speak up they tend to want to make it seem as if the originators are suggesting they invented the wheel...

I would throw PV in that mix on who does their own thing in the SWAC. Since their late longtime band director was a grad of FAMU. I never have seen them do anything like us. You probably can add Bama State and AAMU to that mix as well. I think Bama State has more FAMU influence as well.

Yep.....Dr. Lyle was Dr. Foster's assistant before he came to ASU in the 60's and started MMH. :tup:

Not to mention Danny Davis (ASU BD 88-95) was a FAMU grad and was Dr. Lyle's assistant in the early 70's.

... how can we forgot Gram. They don't either. They have their own style as well ...
Absolutely!

No smack intended here but I think that's Grambling's biggest problem today -- they have totally lost sight of what made them great way back in the day. They always had their own style, their own sound and they did their own thing.

Somebody ought to make the current directors at Gram sit down and check these out:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJKHCp4clcU&

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zgUmJsdR6s

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zgUmJsdR6s

That's back when Grambling was Grambling.

That is a well-spoken, well-put comment!:clap::clap: I would have love to see my M4 represent, but I think Southern represented the SWAC well. I would have liked to see the Jukebox march in President Obama's Inaugural Parade, also. I was sure they would be there to represent the SWAC and the state of Louisiana.

My mother is am AM&N alumni, but she too loves FAMU!
:D

Glad to know that I'm not the only one to see that. I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy the Jukebox along with M4. The Jukebox has always had a style of it's own, and when I hear them against M4 or vice versa I'm never disappointed with either band! Never will forget 5th quarter back in 2008; SU vs UAPB at A.W. Mumford. Both bands clowned! Me & MSLION98 almost missed the bus ride back trying to stay to listen to both.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken isn't that how SC State became the Marching 101?

SCST current band director came from Morris Brown after they started having financial difficulties. A lot of people tend to forget or over look MBC. However, I have seen Morris Brown embarass a whole of lot of so called elite bands ( I would include Grambling and Texas Southern in coming to Atlanta and getting waxed by MBC.......AND when i say waxed, i do mean waxed!). IMHO MBC was outstanding back in the day (not too long ago).

Last edited:
SCST current band director came from Morris Brown after they started having financial difficulties. A lot of people tend to forget or over look MBC. However, I have seen Morris Brown embarass a whole of lot of so called elite bands ( I would include Grambling and Texas Southern in coming to Atlanta and getting waxed by MBC.......AND when i say waxed, i do mean waxed!). IMHO MBC was outstanding back in the day (not too long ago).

Yes they were. MBC had their own style also.

Yeah I know their current Band Director is from Mo Brown. The guy I am talking about was there way before this guy and was the one coined the Marching 101 nickname. So I am talking history. Nothing current.

Yeah I know their current Band Director is from Mo Brown. The guy I am talking about was there way before this guy and was the one coined the Marching 101 nickname. So I am talking history. Nothing current.

Yes, I know..... I was just reflecting on the way MBC used to kick ass and take names (btw, count SCST in the so called elite bands that came to Atlanta and got waxed and waxed good!) :lol: :emlaugh:

Yes they were. MBC had their own style also.

The first time I saw them perform, I could not believe what I was looking at........They were kind of a sleeper in my world. I knew all of the heavy weights so imagine my surprise when I saw those purple Wolverines running on the field. :lol: :emlaugh: JROCK's all time "FAV 5":

1) Southern U. (complete package)
2) FAMU (drilling below par; too many people on the field; great sound)
3) Morris Brown College (complete package)
4) Jackson State (glad they got rid of those cotton hats but copy S.U. too much)
5) Tennessee State (love their distinct musicality)

Honorable Mention: Grambling State (a great ambassador)

(keep in mind I'm not a band alum but and HBCU grad that think he knows what he is looking at..... :lol: :emlaugh: )

Last edited:
The first time I saw them perform, I could not believe what I was looking at........They were kind of a sleeper in my world. I knew all of the heavy weights so imagine my surprise when I saw those purple Wolverines running on the field. :lol: :emlaugh: JROCK's all time "FAV 5":

1) Southern U. (complete package)
2) FAMU (drilling below par; too many people on the field; great sound)
3) Morris Brown College (complete package)
4) Jackson State (glad they got rid of those cotton hats but copy S.U. too much)
5) Tennessee State (love their distinct musicality)

Honorable Mention: Grambling State (a great ambassador)

(keep in mind I'm not a band alum but and HBCU grad that think he knows what he is looking at..... :lol: :emlaugh: )

The times I saw Morris Brown when I lived in ATL, I was not impressed. Maybe they were good but I was looking for more. In ATL, they were proclaimed the schitt. I recall when I went to the HS BOB in ATL and JSU was the guest in like 96. These people around us kept talkin MoB this and MoB that but when they saw the BOOM, they had to admit that MoB had never put it down like that. I think TNState is much better than MoB ever was.

As for SU vs FAMU.... I think those styles are very different and you like either one or the other. I can see certain styles in certain bands ...like some FAMU in AAMU, PV or AlaState.

As for people saying JSU copies SU, for the life of me, I can't see anything about JSU that resembles SU aside from the arrangement of 2-3 songs (ie "Neck" but who is to say who made that change becasue our early 90s version of Neck would kill the one SU plays..but then again, we kill SU with the one we play now :lecture:). Sure we have added more brass but SU has added more wind. JSU has always been able to play anything, SU (ballads) and FAMU (rap) have not. SU is on one extreme and FAMU is on the other and other bands are somewhere in between. But also, keep in mind that SU and FAMU are not the only bands copied. I am sure that lots of schools can say other bands copying them. Alcorn and Valley totally developed their style off of JSU. UAPB definitely copies JSU and to go even further, their dance girls COPY the hell outta the J-Settes almost move for move. I can see where JSU changed our style from the 70s but at the same time, I think we developed our own style and we make changes to keep with the times. We certainly didn't develop our style from SU or FAMU. It's called evolving but the things that make us the SONIC BOOM have and always will be there. Some say that JSU added power after 1999. That IS true but those 1998 and 1999 bands were NOT typical JSU bands either. We had much more sound and balance before then.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I don't know who MEAC bands pattern after. Their shows are so horrible and only FAMU and BCU even attempt to drill. I do know that a former DM at Del State from the 80s said they used to watch JSU and SU clips from BET to make their shows. :lol:

Yes JR. He was Sarge brother from Famu. They were Twins. Sarge handled the upper brass at FAMU back in the day.

Negative. Maybe better than SU but not JSU.

It really get on your nevers that Morris Brown Marching Wolverines were better. :lol: :emlaugh:

J-State could not out drill MBC if their collective lives depended on it. And you people certainly did not have more power than MBC. TigerPride, you can't be that myopic! :lol: :emlaugh: Oh i forgot you're TP! :lol: :emlaugh:

Jackson State never played Mo Brown in 1991, that game was cancelled.

See you Sippi. JSU came to Fulton County for a battle of the bands. They also played Bama St and Marched in the parade. Man look, you kids who came to college after 92 don't know nothing about bands. That's why I was addressing JR, TP ad Jrock. I don't talk to yall about bands. You no nothing but tapes okay.

The times I saw Morris Brown when I lived in ATL was not impressed. Maybe they were good but I was looking for more. In ATL they were proclaimed the schitt. I recall when I want to the HS BOB in ATL and JSU was the guest in like 96. These people around us kept talkin MoB this and MoB that but when they saw the BOOM, they had to admit that MoB had never put it down like that. I think TNState is much better than MoB ever was.

As for SU vs FAMU.... I think those styles are very different and you like either one or the other. I can see certain styles in certain bands ...like some FAMU in AAMU, PV or AlaState.

As for people saying JSU copies SU, for the life of me, I can't see anything about JSU that resembles SU aside from the arrangement of 2-3 songs (ie "Neck" but who is to say who made that change becasue our early 90s version of Neck would kill the one SU plays..but then again, we kill SU with the one we play now :lecture:). Sure we have added more brass and SU but SU has added more wind. JSU has always been able to play anything, SU (ballads) and FAMU (rap) have not. SU is on one extreme and FAMU is on the other and other bands are somewhere in between. But also, keep in mind that SU and FAMU are not the only bands copied. I am sure that lots of schools can say other bands copying them. Alcorn and Valley totally developed their style off of JSU. UAPB definitely copies JSU and to go even further, their dance girls COPY the hell outta the J-Settes almost move for move. I can see where JSU changed our style from the 70s but at the same time, I think we developed our own style and we make changes to keep with the times. We certainly didn't develop our style from SU or FAMU. It's called evolving but the things that make us the SONIC BOOM have and always will be there. Some say that JSU added power after 1999. That IS true but those 1998 and 1999 bands were NOT typical JSU bands either. We had much more sound and balance before then.

I have to agree with what you said about MBC... I saw them when I was in the Juke (early-Mid 90s) and was not impressed, they were a bad imitation of SU with high schoolish drum majors. Now in 2000 when they came to Mumford they were ok in the stands... But I have never understood hype of that band:noidea:

Oh yeah TP, the rest of your post was BULLSH@T!!!:lol:

Y'all have excuse TP....dude typed a whole thesis full of lies because he is upset of what people outside of jackson think of jsu.....gawd help him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back