HBCU football coaches talk cost-benefit analysis of playing money games

I actually agree with Coach Prime on this one. All money ain't good money. Yet, the problem is our universities need to design better fundraising campaigns and alumni and fans of the school need to actively and consistently contribute.
And if for some reason it isn't "good money," that doesn't make it bad money either. It's just a gott damm payday. Period. Nothing more...nothing less.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseam for years. And while I respect the various views made on this subject, the one thing I don't agree with this the "morale argument." These kids are not that damn fragile.

And if for some reason it isn't "good money," that doesn't make it bad money either. It's just a gott damm payday. Period. Nothing more...nothing less.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseam for years. And while I respect the various views made on this subject, the one thing I don't agree with this the "morale argument." These kids are not that damn fragile.
I beg to differ, we had a kid with NFL talent leave the team because he's super soft! Tremendous upside but has been coddled all his life. Don't underestimate the fragility of the student athletes! It's a new day!

Deion says drop "b" from HBCU yall going to run with it?

"We" ain't buying 50K season tickets - aint happening
"We" paying our coaches $250K or more now plus a staff, these games can take care of that in less than 24 hours - Deion ain't coaching for free
"We" have been playing these games for quite some time - just play a bad FBS program and there are benefits to winning such as A&T
"We" don't give back to our alma maters like we do the nail shop lady, the crab leg people at $31 a pound, the dry cleaners, the BMW dealer, the church, etc. so we got to play these games
"We" ask the students to fund a facility upgrade to which we don't even fill consistently whch would decrease these games but those things cost cash to build

80% of NCAA schools play these games - even the big dawgs play classic games to get more money

hell - "we" post on facebook like clockwork and making Zuckerburg RICHER and he censors us but refuse to post on this site consistently so we can make our own selves rich

again - why do we need these games now?
Been hearing these excuses for at least a decade now. It’s 2021 and if we still haven’t figured it out maybe it’s time to shut it down and play club ball.

Question for you:

Has pimping out our programs worked at all for any HBCU so far?
It does not and yes PWC do it too. HOWEVER when you listen to those broadcasts of games it's NIGHT and DAY.

Grand Canyon versus Kansas-MONEY is never mentioned and it's always something positive.
Jackson State versus Kansas-they playing for a CHECK.
Evansville versus Kentucky-you did not hear about that CHECK until AFTER they beat Kentucky.

You can't NOT expect to get recruits worth a DANG under the banner of being a HBCU no matter how much Black Lives Don't Matter and Fake Woke folks scream or write hit pieces attacking PWC.

That KID looks at Jackson State's OOC record from 2013-2021 and sees 29-107. 1 post season.
Texas Southern's OOC record from 2013-2021 and sees 49-95. 7 post seasons. 5 NCAA, 1 NIT and 1 CIT. 7 out of 8 years.
He looks at Grand Canyon's OOC record from 2013-2021 and see 77-56. 6 post season (1 NCAA).
He looks at Vanderbilt's OOC record from 2013-2021 and sees 56-46. 3 post season (2 NCAA).
He looks at North Texas's OOC record from 2013-2021 and sees 65-49. 1 title and 3 post season.

What school would he go to?
Texas Southern makes a case with the post season runs. Tx Southern went after some coaches with SKINS. Not someone cheap.
The other HBCUs can't boast that.

Lets not forget how many kids get TOLD sometimes by ALUM that you are playing those games for a check not a win or to see how good you are.

Been hearing these excuses for at least a decade now. It’s 2021 and if we still haven’t figured it out maybe it’s time to shut it down and play club ball.

They are playing. It's the adults who are the issue. What are these other schools doing that you are NOT?

What is that D2 school doing that gets them players drafted that some HBCUS can't or will not do?

Who are you hiring not just as coach but ADs and all those positions?

Lance Irvin just lost his job at Chicago State because his school is CHEAP and on the way out of the WAC. Where is the phone call to HIM? His family is all over Chicago basketball scene and he knows the Dallas market. How many players are from Chicago in the SWAC?

How many players are the SWAC missing out on because of a lack of recruiting in certain places?

Yet, the problem is our universities need to design better fundraising campaigns and alumni and fans of the school need to actively and consistently contribute.

That's what needs to be done. Quit asking for the hook-up on tickets, buy them just like everyone else. Donate to the cause without asking "What's in it for me?"

Great points all around the topic. Obviously each program has to do what is best for itself. (That was easy to say). My view is you have to play highest paying FBS with the weakest program. Then mix that in with a comparable FCS team that travels well for home and home. You top that off with a close by well traveled D2 HBCU team (for homecoming, or Classic ). That gets you appx $450k, $150k and 300k - 80k payout. Those numbers will vary from Valley to JSU. Six home games as much as possible.
No one should get beaten 62 to 0.
There should be a different strategy for basketball.

I’d imagine it don’t feel good to get your head kicked in multiple weeks by P5 schools.

Nope. I’m at the point I will just do my part and donate. I am tired of trying to explain anything to people. Like I’m really really tired of hearing the excuses to maintain the status quo or constant bitching just to get out trying something new to continue to improve.

I feel your pain.

At least your school is winning in football. Imagine being bottom tier since 2013 yet mofos still would rather make every excuse to not do their part but pocket watch Jerry and Dancy

The name of the game is ECONOMICS. When we will finally understand the principles of this system. Maybe, we will see the bigger photo.

We are quick to give our money to the white man without hesitation. But, will find every reason to avoid doing business with black people

I beg to differ, we had a kid with NFL talent leave the team because he's super soft! Tremendous upside but has been coddled all his life. Don't underestimate the fragility of the student athletes! It's a new day!
I don't deny that the overall mentality of kids today is different, but that's not what I'm talking about. I just don't believe that kids are so caught up in a lopsided loss against a P5 program that they somehow can't recover for the next week.

Didn't we witness Alcorn get shutout by Georgia Tech in 2018, but yet managed to win the SWAC that year? It wasn't that long ago. And kids have not changed that drastically since 2018.

STFU.... YOU ARE ONE OF THE WORST KIND! I will elaborate if you want me to! Couple of cocktails in my system.... :)
beat-his-ass-joe.gif

L
I don't deny that the overall mentality of kids today is different, but that's not what I'm talking about. I just don't believe that kids are so caught up in a lopsided loss against a P5 program that they somehow can't recover for the next week.

Didn't we witness Alcorn get shutout by Georgia Tech in 2018, but yet managed to win the SWAC that year? It wasn't that long ago. And kids have not changed that drastically since 2018.

They want to play those games cause that’s easy NFL tape if you perform well - Darius Leonard against Clemson was a big reason he went 2nd round

Get the money from sponsors.

Sponsors like to see numbers - show up at home (Paid attendance not freebies) and sponsors will take notice

Suppose HBCU's didn't play 'money games',
1) Where is the money coming from?
2) Has anyone noticed the 'classics' are drying up?
3) Is the attendance at "Home Team" enough to negate the 'money game'?
4) Where is the money coming from?
5) Newsflash - Most of the Top 25 FCS programs don't want to play HBCU's anyway.....and fo'sho ain't about to pay you 6 figures
to come to their stadium!!!
6) Where is the money coming from?

I wonder if this is just a HBCU thing or an entire FCS thing? I think I know the answer. But, why does the SWAC (since we don't have any FBS wins since grambling defeated Oregon St) ppl complain so much about these money games? Does the Southland schools and it's fans complain?

Furthermore, do you think if the SWAC (top HBCU conference) doesn't need to play these schools because 'we' might get hurt, then why do 'we' accept the transfers from these schools? I mean, they're big and skrong!!! Somebody might get hurt!!! When I lived/worked in Charleston, Charleston Southern was so happy to play Florida.....knowing the outcome. But, we sked.

And Lastly, if we (HBCU's) are so concerned about the kids, why don't we push for our schools to stop pimping the basketball teams more than the football teams??? Our football team(s) play 1 P5 maybe every other year and yet the basketball teams are pimped out from November to 1st Saturday in January.

He is 100% right. I just cringe looking at these money games. How can you look at your student athletes in the eye and trick them out for a paycheck. Then comeback the next week and expect them to be motivated to win a conference championship.
By doing this you have set a standard in their mind to know their place in NCAA sports and you are also teaching them that students at PWIs are superior to you. And it also justify the blacks folks that are at these PWI’s narrative that they are superior as well. But I know somehow we will figure out to a way defend the status quo. Again I’m just going to do my part to help where I can. I am totally sold on what Deion’s is talking about from the names on the jerseys to create innovative ways increase our market share in college football.

If Deion is right, why did JSU just pay EWC to play in the Spring?

Why are they playing Delta state this fall season?

The name of the game is ECONOMICS. When we will finally understand the principles of this system. Maybe, we will see the bigger photo.

We are quick to give our money to the white man without hesitation. But, will find every reason to avoid doing business with black people
Dont forget the Asians especially. We will take an ass whipping or a bullet to go in their stores.

Because our athletic director at the time scheduled those games well in advanced. But also because Delta State called us out and wanted to schedule and play us based on our historical match ups!

Bottom line is we don't need to be scheduling top tier Power 5 schools for a paycheck. We have to crawl before we walk, and walk before we run!

Because our athletic director at the time scheduled those games well in advanced. But also because Delta State called us out and wanted to schedule and play us based on our historical match ups!

Bottom line is we don't need to be scheduling top tier Power 5 schools for a paycheck. We have to crawl before we walk, and walk before we run!

I hope u feel the same in basketball as well

Well one Delta's State called them out on Twitter so they are asking for a tune up. EWC at least in this case it was two HBCUS doing this vs going to Duke playing a jig for them at halftime and leave the night demoralized. I cringed looking at that too. In my opinion that’s not a boost to go into conference play.

Last edited:
Back