HBCU football coaches talk cost-benefit analysis of playing money games

Well one Delta's State called them out on Twitter so they are asking for a tune up. EWC at least in this case it was two HBCUS doing this vs going to Duke playing a jig for them at halftime and leave the night demoralized. I cringed looking at that too. In my opinion that’s not a boost to go into conference play.

Being down 1 score at the half and keeping it respectful for 3 quarters is demoralizing. Lol ok.

Again all FCS programs play these games. If u don't like them help your AD come up with ways to replace that income

Well one Delta's State called them out on Twitter so they are asking for a tune up. EWC at least in this case it was two HBCUS doing this vs going to Duke playing a jig for them at halftime and leave the night demoralized. I cringed looking at that too. In my opinion that’s not a boost to go into conference play.

Kentucky State called them out on Twitter too. No contract for that game

And if for some reason it isn't "good money," that doesn't make it bad money either. It's just a gott damm payday. Period. Nothing more...nothing less.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseam for years. And while I respect the various views made on this subject, the one thing I don't agree with this the "morale argument." These kids are not that damn fragile.

LOL....yes they are. I used to agree with you but I was comparing my son to other young men. Which was an unfair comparison.

Kenn these could not deal with half the mess we had to deal with in college.....take away their phones and they are lost.....

Kenn these could not deal with half the mess we had to deal with in college.....take away their phones and they are lost.....
But that's not my argument. I'm talking about a football player's mindset after a "demoralizing" loss to a P5/FBS program.

Like I mentioned previously, Alcorn State's players were so demoralized after that 41-0 loss to P5 Georgia Tech in 2018, they went on to win the SWAC that same year. But some want to overlook that.

Many of us have been saying this for years. The beatdowns from these money games are not worth it. Unfortunately, SWAC ADs are lazy in the area of creative fundraising and see these payouts as the only way to balance their budgets. Unless someone walks in their office every year and drops 500K on their desk, they won't even attempt to raise that kind of money.

Many of us have been saying this for years. The beatdowns from these money games are not worth it. Unfortunately, SWAC ADs are lazy in the area of creative fundraising and see these payouts as the only way to balance their budgets. Unless someone walks in their office every year and drops 500K on their desk, they won't even attempt to raise that kind of money.
They are if a school deems it worthy.

And can you provide an example of "creative fundraising?"

Being down 1 score at the half and keeping it respectful for 3 quarters is demoralizing. Lol ok.

Again all FCS programs play these games. If u don't like them help your AD come up with ways to replace that income
That’s all good but I’m the end result was an blowout surrounded by beckys and brads cheering and looking down on you. I get it some blacks are glad to be “the help” and will clean Mr Charlie house but a lot of us have pride and dignity to do for self.

Last edited:
That’s all good but I’m the end result was an blowout surrounded by beckys and brads cheering and looking down on you. I get it some blacks are glad to be “the help” and will clean Mr Charlie house but a lot of us have pride and dignity to do for self.

Pride has some HBCUs in horrible situations

I hate prostitution games! Folks talk about how much they help, but we are still struggling! Where in the F is Savannah State after that million dollar season they had when they collected all of those big time prostitution check? Where are they now? I guess it didn’t save them.

We have to get back to having multiple classics all around the states and using the HBCU Experience as a ticket seller. Our marching bands are the reasons for our winning FCS attendance numbers, and they are the reason why the majority of the crowds come to the game. Believe what you want, but if the bands don’t go to the games, the crowd is smaller and weak! We have proven that we can sell the HBCU experience when HBCU work together for big events.

We have to use what makes us different to sell our own tickets. Our AD’s have gotten lazy and sit around waiting for FBS calls and checks to survive. It’s sickening. I have seen HBCU’s make their own money in NFL stadiums through a non conference football games and marching band contest. I have worked with a PWI FCS programs that have hosted multiple events in their owns stadiums and athletic arenas that brought in checks that helped pay bills and enhanced the athletic facilities. It can be done. We don’t need to take these prostitution games or stay alive if he put the right people in charge of events and money.

If Deion is right, why did JSU just pay EWC to play in the Spring?

Why are they playing Delta state this fall season?
Delta State is not a FBS.
EWC is an lesser division HBCU being helped by another, and got a chance to play on ESPN.

McNeese State can play LSU all they want. F what they do. They have no great history to hold, or no significance team in their history that LSU refused to play because they were too athletic, too good and too black. Grambling and Southern have teams in their history that LSU refused to call to their stadium play because of those reasons. Why sell our names to LSU after they didn’t want to have anything to do with us when we were in our primes? I am not with it.

I will leave tap dancing for coins to the ones who don’t know any better and allow my pride to call on North Carolina A&T and Howard and set up a meeting to work on a HBCU Classic Game in a NFL Stadium that is going to attract a bunch of people who want to see the HBCU experience and will buy tickets. We have forgotten that we can make our own money.

EWC is an lesser division HBCU being helped by another, and got a chance to play on ESPN.

McNeese State can play LSU all they want. F what they do. They have no great history to hold, or no significance team in their history that LSU refused to play because they were too athletic, too good and too black. Grambling and Southern have teams in their history that LSU refused to call to their stadium play because of those reasons. Why sell our names to LSU after they didn’t want to have anything to do with us when we were in our primes? I am not with it.

I will leave tap dancing for coins to the ones who don’t know any better and allow my pride to call on North Carolina A&T and Howard and set up a meeting to work on a HBCU Classic Game in a NFL Stadium that is going to attract a bunch of people who want to see the HBCU experience and will buy tickets. We have forgotten that we can make our own money.

Your point is understood but again if we make all this money, then why aren't all the schools doing it.

Where is the proof that attendance and classics provides the necessary money. Coach Prime said JSU facilities lacked when he got there. Grambling players striked years ago over facilities. And those are the big name schools.

But that's not my argument. I'm talking about a football player's mindset after a "demoralizing" loss to a P5/FBS program.

Like I mentioned previously, Alcorn State's players were so demoralized after that 41-0 loss to P5 Georgia Tech in 2018, they went on to win the SWAC that same year. But some want to overlook that.

I get your point on that spectrum.

Personally speaking HBCUs just need to do a better job at fundraising overall so we won't have to play these games.

Your point is understood but again if we make all this money, then why aren't all the schools doing it.

Where is the proof that attendance and classics provides the necessary money. Coach Prime said JSU facilities lacked when he got there. Grambling players striked years ago over facilities. And those are the big name schools.
It’s called proof of inconsistent leadership.

Personally speaking HBCUs just need to do a better job at fundraising overall so we won't have to play these games.
Not necessarily. I personally don't have a problem with HBCUs playing these games. The so-called "money games" have NOTHING to do with long-term fundraising. They only serve the purpose of satisfying the fiscal budget of that given year. This is the part that many don't understand.

Great points all around the topic. Obviously each program has to do what is best for itself. (That was easy to say). My view is you have to play highest paying FBS with the weakest program. Then mix that in with a comparable FCS team that travels well for home and home. You top that off with a close by well traveled D2 HBCU team (for homecoming, or Classic ). That gets you appx $450k, $150k and 300k - 80k payout. Those numbers will vary from Valley to JSU. Six home games as much as possible.
No one should get beaten 62 to 0.
There should be a different strategy for basketball.
they wouldn't have been beaten like that if they fixed special teams. 2 block kicks cost them 10 points and that was the ball game.

Even if we did better fundraising we would still play these games. There aren’t many schools turning down these games. The issue for all of us is where are we investing the funds after we get them.

100% on the morale thing. I understand why they have to be played but when you basically pimp the basketball and football teams because you can't raise money it's a recipe for disaster. The concept of smart scheduling is foreign to her
Y’all simply don’t have the enrollment to do anything else.

Not necessarily. I personally don't have a problem with HBCUs playing these games. The so-called "money games" have NOTHING to do with long-term fundraising. They only serve the purpose of satisfying the fiscal budget of that given year. This is the part that many don't understand.

I get that....but how about HBCUs find more innovative ways to raise funds so we won't have to play these games.

Amen.

Back