HBCU Basketball: February 27 - March 5

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Griffin is very athletic. In my opinion he's a better football player than basketball player. Great dunker but he really didn't make any post moves. We'll see them next week

Griffin is very athletic. In my opinion he's a better football player than basketball player. Great dunker but he really didn't make any post moves. We'll see them next week
Exactly. When I said that after SU played them, folks like C-leb caught feelings lol. They are fooled by the dunks, and that's really all he can do. I didn't see one single post move dude did lol. And he doesn't play no defense at all. Bama st could have feed the post all night and scored on him. He is good at helping on defense, but if it's up to him to stop somebody, it ain't happening lol. He isn't tall enough at just 6'7" just to out athlete folks in the league. He has to do more than dunk.

It's great winning another SWAC regular season championship!!! That was a fun game to watch!!! Derrick Griffin and Chris Thomas put on a show!!!

Exactly. When I said that after SU played them, folks like C-leb caught feelings lol. They are fooled by the dunks, and that's really all he can do. I didn't see one single post move dude did lol. And he doesn't play no defense at all. Bama st could have feed the post all night and scored on him. He is good at helping on defense, but if it's up to him to stop somebody, it ain't happening lol. He isn't tall enough at just 6'7" just to out athlete folks in the league. He has to do more than dunk.
Neither of you fellows have a clue....but that is cool. Keep thinking like that. Griffin can handle the ball in the open court and he has good range from outside. With the supporting cast there is no need for Griffin to carry the load. We don't need him clogging the lane when CT and Blanks can take anybody off the dribble at any time as evidenced by CT's triple double tonight and Blanks' point total. The Hornets should not have been close but we stopped running the offense at times and coach Davis even started trying different things.

Last edited:
Reactions: J C

Really!...........Griffin average 5 dunks a game and 10 rebounds per game. I bet you wish SU had a player like Griffin. Griffin gets a lot of attention in the paint.

Last edited:
Uhhhhhh, he's done it all season

Bama st could have feed the post all night and scored on him. He is good at helping on defense, but if it's up to him to stop somebody, it ain't happening lol. He isn't tall enough at just 6'7" just to out athlete folks in the league. He has to do more than dunk.

I think that's more so Davis philosophy than anything. The same thing happened with Aaric Murray so they could stay out of foul trouble.

Without Griffin, there is no way we could be where we are. He's leading the conference in rebounding by nearly 4, blocks by 1, and sheer number of dunks that the SWAC is unable to stop.

Exactly. When I said that after SU played them, folks like C-leb caught feelings lol. They are fooled by the dunks, and that's really all he can do. I didn't see one single post move.

That's part of offense and no one can stop him everyone knows what's coming. He's 3rd in the nation in FG percentage.

Don't be fooled - he has the moves. Provided a small glimpse last night. Mike Davis said last week his talent and basketball IQ could have him starting in every conference in America.

Last edited:
We could have reached the century mark several times this season but one of two things prohibited it from happening. either the guys began playing selfishly or coach Davis made mass substitutions and the subs did not get it done. Last night was one of those nights.

Man every school in the conference should be cheering Griffin on. The tremendous amount of buzz and exposure he is bringing to SWAC bball will be good for everyone.

I can't wait to see what kind of buzz will be created by him in football. Should be interesting since so many people suggest he is better at football than basketball, because he is quite impressive at bball.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
1225145_800x450.jpg

HOUSTON (KTRK) --
In front of a home crowd Monday night at HP&E Arena, Texas Southern men's basketball team claimed another Southwestern Athletic Conference regular season championship. The Tigers defeated Alabama State, 96-86.

Two-sport athlete Derrick Griffin lead the Tigers (16-12, 15-1) with 23 points and notched a total of 12 rebounds. Forward Chris Thomas added another triple-double with 20 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

http://abc13.com/sports/tsu-claims-third-regular-season-conference-title-in-four-years/1225146/

Nobody catching no feelings dude.

Davis has said before, Griffin can play the 2-5 but he's doing exactly what he wants/need Griffin to do.

Once we get a legit center next season you'll see what Griffin can do outside of what you think is his "one-dimensional dunking" (that's
if he doesn't declare for the NFL after next football season).

Griffin plays the same way he did in high school for the most part. He had the ball in his hands more just due to sheer greatness over everyone else on the court, but his game back then was dunk, rebound, layup, dunk, rebound block shots, occasional jumper. LOL Dude is/was a man amongst boys and it works. I will continue to say he will be on an NFL roster within 2 calendar years. His combine stats will be through the roof also for vertical and broad jump.

Really!...........Griffin average 5 dunks a game and 10 rebounds per game. I bet you wish SU had a player like Griffin. Griffin gets a lot of attention in the paint.

If Su had a Griffin-type player sujagtillidie would have to take a leave of absence from his job to post all the articles, videos, pics, Facebook, twitter, black planet, Myspace, Instagram, emails and text messages about him.

If Su had a Griffin-type player sujagtillidie would have to take a leave of absence from his job to post all the articles, videos, pics, Facebook, twitter, black planet, Myspace, Instagram, emails and text messages about him.
lmao +1

So much hope at the beginning of the season for Grambling. What happened?

Same thing that happened to Valley women: Injuries.

Our of best players (Christina Reed) was in a car accident a while back on an already thin team. Add more injuries to other players and that has led to the 30-50 point beat downs the Devilettes have been getting. At least the guys have shown improvement despite being undersized and probably 1 year away from making that leap JSU and Alcorn have made this year

Back