HBCU Basketball: December 4-31

Toledo 81

SU Women 76

Our women have been putting up some good fights against this bigger schools.

One of our former assistant coaches (Tony Greene) is now at Toledo so I'm sure they relied heavily on him to help win this game.

No ouch. Business as usual. They hung in there pretty well, significant height advantage and number of player. They will be fine under Donnie Marsh. They are using the TSu model. Tough preseason schedule. Hope they fire marsh at end of season and he returns to TSU

UAB 74
Valley 57

Another winless nonconference slate. hopefully the offense picks up in conference play because if they win 7-8 games again this year Payne is gone (only one player has stayed with Payne 3 years).

Our only saving grace is that on average, about 2 SWAC usually come in winless each season (past four years Valley has been one of them). This year half of the conference is winless. Valley, UAPB and AAMU might have been expected. TxSU and Alabama State? Not.

BYU 31
Texas Southern 28
Halftime

Tre Jefferson is not playing and I'm guessing it's because of the passing of his father a couple of days ago.

Texas Southern will most likely win the SWAC again, and then get beat in the first four round of the tournament. Unless they win every conference game including the conference tournament, they won't get an outright 16 seed after not winning 1 non conference game. I applaud Texas Southern for battling the big boys, but I think they need to throw in 5 games vs Southland, Big South, Southern and MEAC opponents during its non conference season. Although Texas Southern is the face of SWAC basketball, it's an ugly look when your champion has an horrible non conference record no matter how many tough teams they played. Texas Souhern fans should be ready to expand their winning ways as well. Just winning the SWAC crown shouldn't be anything new to them. It's time for the SWAC to have a bracket buster. Texas Southern seems to be the team who has the talent and coaching to do be this.

Texas Southern will most likely win the SWAC again, and then get beat in the first four round of the tournament. Unless they win every conference game including the conference tournament, they won't get an outright 16 seed after not winning 1 non conference game. I applaud Texas Southern for battling the big boys, but I think they need to throw in 5 games vs Southland, Big South, Southern and MEAC opponents during its non conference season. Although Texas Southern is the face of SWAC basketball, it's an ugly look when your champion has an horrible non conference record no matter how many tough teams they played. Texas Souhern fans should be ready to expand their winning ways as well. Just winning the SWAC crown shouldn't be anything new to them. It's time for the SWAC to have a bracket buster. Texas Southern seems to be the team who has the talent and coaching to do be this.
They have to pay for the high salary they are paying their coach lol.

Coach Mike Davis has been saying this for years ... he wants to be a "Bracket Buster". This team definitely isn't the most talented we've had to do it but it doesn't mean it can't happen. Yeah we will beat everybody in the SWAC as always which is something we still enjoy and never gets old ... Go Tigers!!

In my recollection, this is Grambling’s best out of conference performance I’ve witnessed ever. I just hope we can be top three in the SWAC this year. That would be a huge boast to the men’s program.

This team definitely isn't the most talented we've had to do it but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Coach says this is his best team during his TSU tenure. Considering we had the toughest schedule in the nation according to various media outlets, I will side with him for now. Even though we are 0-13, we averaged 34 points and our opponents scored 39 in the first half. The 2nd half, we were outscored 45-35 in the 2nd half.

Why are we going to find out starting on Monday January 1, 2018, Isn't school out and could we have started the season on Tuesday Jan 2. What difference does it make. We hurt ourselves in attendance.. Conference office stinks

Back