HBCU Bands vs. DCI Drum Corps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicFan

Friends,

Granted, HBCU Bands such the ones fielded by Southern University, Jackson State, FAMU, Tennessee State, etc.. can be very entertaining. However, does anyone feel that the musicianship and precision that they display are even in the same league with DCI corps such as the Santa Clara Vanguard, Concord Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, Crossmen, Cadets of Bergen County, etc..?

I feel it is a shame that many of us mistakenly lump the DCI Corps into the same category as college bands (especially SEC) that take the field on Saturdays.

Sure, it's like comparing apples and oranges but I thought it would be especially interesting to hear from those of you who play or played musical instruments.

Looking forward to hearing comments from those who are familar with the top notch HBCU Bands and DCI corps.

Thanks,

MusicFan

MusicFan said:
Friends,

Granted, HBCU Bands such the ones fielded by Southern University, Jackson State, FAMU, Tennessee State, etc.. can be very entertaining. However, does anyone feel that the musicianship and precision that they display are even in the same league with DCI corps such as the Santa Clara Vanguard, Concord Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, Crossmen, Cadets of Bergen County, etc..?

Thanks,

MusicFan
NO!!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MusicFan said:
However, does anyone feel that the musicianship and precision that they display are even in the same league with DCI corps such as the Santa Clara Vanguard, Concord Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, Crossmen, Cadets of Bergen County, etc..?

That's an entirely different league.

roadblock-2-spr97 said:
NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

HBCU bands for the most part "entertain" and main focus is not primarely on competitions. DCI students or members are prepared primarely for competitions year round so the focus is not gonna be the same. Also, DCI members have to pay to be a part. HBCU band members don't actually have to pay out of pocket.

There are some people in HBCU bands that would wreck shop in DCI though.

roadblock-2-spr97 said:

True....but the discipline would have to be on point. None of that showcasing.

BTW...how you gonna quote your own self.....:lol:

SLT said:
True....but the discipline would have to be on point. None of that showcasing.
...:lol:

There are a number of HBCU bandsmen in DCI. And, there is far more showcasing in DCI than there is in any HBCU band. The showcasing is just done differently.

dacontinent said:
There are a number of HBCU bandsmen in DCI. And, there is far more showcasing in DCI than there is in any HBCU band. The showcasing is just done differently.

You know what I mean when I say showcasing. :rolleyes:

roadblock-2-spr97 said:

Yeah ok :xeye:I respect everyones own views,but on this my friend ,I think you're way off.

I could see it now... FAMU doing the shake...shake..shake.shake.shake.shake.shake.shake.shake.shake after playing Tee Shirt and My Panties On!!!! Next I could see the su DM doing a back bend on the 50 yard line and them doing the half time score during a DCI competition!!!! Yeah, we (HBCU's) would fit right in!!!!!

All of that is all in "PREFERENCE".......

If bands was to switch their programs to try to be like DCI them we would have a comparison.....

But you can clearly hear and see an SU and FAMU isn't trying to do such...

As far as same league, YES they are in the same league in my opinion..... You just have two style of bands in the same league with different approaches....

Honestly, some of you all with that.... Oh it's a different league mentality I would like to know why you think that... And if it is because "they better" alot of you all need to check that.....

I know ALOT of musician from SU that could have been in DCI including myself.. But I did not PERFER DCI over HBCU......

And as great as a musicin as I am If I choose HBCU over DCI it must be in the same league...

My strong opinion......

But I knew alot of you would ride the coat tails of DCI.......lol
That inferior mentality at it's best in this thread....
Not knocking the thread starter one bit he asked one question....

He probably sitting back right now reading, I knew these "SREGIN" knew their places... :rolleyes:

SLT said:
To each his/her own, but that is OUR opinion.

True,

So in a nut shell you feel as far as leagues go, you was apart of a league that wasn't on the level of DCI? Am I understanding that correct?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SUtrp96 said:
True,

So in a nut shell you feel as far as leagues go, you was apart of a league that wasn't on the level of DCI? Am I understanding that correct?

Didn't I say for you to HUSH up! :upset: :kiss:

Seriously, in my opinion, the level of DCI is intense. The degree of percussion that is used during shows are phenomenal. I didn't say that HBCU's(SU, JSU, etc) were not good in what they do, but in most DCI, you don't just waltz in because you want to play in the band. And you don't come in half-stepping on your chosen instrument. I believe it is a truly earned position. :tup:

That's all I was saying cutie-pie!

:wavey: @ Jared.

Now again....hush up! :mad: :D

SLT said:
Didn't I say for you to HUSH up! :upset: :kiss:

Seriously, in my opinion, the level of DCI is intense. The degree of percussion that is used during shows are phenomenal. I didn't say that HBCU's(SU, JSU, etc) were not good in what they do, but in most DCI, you don't just waltz in because you want to play in the band. And you don't come in half-stepping on your chosen instrument. I believe it is a truly earned position. :tup:

That's all I was saying cutie-pie!

:wavey:mad: Jared.

Now again....hush up! :mad: :D

:wavey: back at you..... :)

I understand that..... but what they do, is what they want to do....

What SU, JSU etc. does, is what they want to do.....

Now I can speak for JSU...

But at SU, it don't matter what type of musician you are.... be it (Great, Good, Average, Ok)

SU program will run it self......

I still say it is all in preference....

My opinion is, if so many of you like DCI over SWAC style why you did march DCI?

I would have made it with out a problem I am more than certain of that...

SUtrp96 said:
My opinion is, if so many of you like DCI over SWAC style why you did march DCI?

I don't think anybody said they prefer DCI over SWAC. We just answered the question posed on whether we thought they were in the same league musicianship and precision wise. And some felt they are different when it comes to the degree of musicality. Not that they are better, but to me they are just a little more intense. I mean, you would have to be intense when you are constantly playing and drilling 90% to 95% of your show.

I personally enjoy both, but my preference as far as participation in is showstyle! :D

Plus, it would take a person 40 years to graduate from college with the schedule a DCI has. :lol:

Those are some traveling/competing folks!

SUtrp96 said:
All of that is all in "PREFERENCE".......

If bands was to switch their programs to try to be like DCI them we would have a comparison.....

But you can clearly hear and see an SU and FAMU isn't trying to do such...

As far as same league, YES they are in the same league in my opinion..... You just have two style of bands in the same league with different approaches....

Honestly, some of you all with that.... Oh it's a different league mentality I would like to know why you think that... And if it is because "they better" alot of you all need to check that.....

I know ALOT of musician from SU that could have been in DCI including myself.. But I did not PERFER DCI over HBCU......

And as great as a musicin as I am If I choose HBCU over DCI it must be in the same league...

My strong opinion......

But I knew alot of you would ride the coat tails of DCI.......lol
That inferior mentality at it's best in this thread....
Not knocking the thread starter one bit he asked one question....

He probably sitting back right now reading, I knew these "SREGIN" knew their places... :rolleyes:
If collegate bands were in the same league then they would invite college bands to compete. Right? But they don't because they are in two different leagues. Is sorta like the NFL and the Arena League. Both are professonal but the teams dont compete because they are in different leagues.
The Phantom Regiment and the Blue Devils have different styles and different approaches but they are in the same league thats why they compete. College bands are used in a different way. College bands are primarily used for school spirit like putting the school letters on the field while playing the fight song, playing defense or "Let's Go jags!!! Let's Go!!! Faggs!!! Faggs, Lets Go!!! (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself! :cool: ) It's part of the school spirit. It's not even all about football because they have the pep bands for the basketball games to promote the team and the school. DCI's don't do that. They are about showing themselves off for the competition. Hence, different leagues! su could compete in precision because they have some of the best precision Iv'e seen(don't let that go to your head sutrp!!!) Fam could compete with the overall sound quality.
As far a individuals go, I have no doubt in my mind that you or any band member of an HBCU could make it in to a DCI and be first chair... as Iv'e said before, we have some of the most talented musicians in the world but we have different taste.

SLT said:
I don't think anybody said they prefer DCI over SWAC. We just answered the question posed on whether we thought they were in the same league musicianship and precision wise. And some felt they are different when it comes to the degree of musicality. Not that they are better, but to me they are just a little more intense. I mean, you would have to be intense when you are constantly playing and drilling 90% to 95% of your show.
SU drills 95% of their show...constantly playing
I personally enjoy both, but my preference as far as participation in is showstyle! :D

Plus, it would take a person 40 years to graduate from college with the schedule a DCI has. :lol:

Those are some traveling/competing folks!

You have to realize too, DCI plays at competitions......It ain't many competition HBCU bands participate in....So that lil 7 to 8 minutes on the field is hard to compare to the bands that performs all day on the field.....

SUtrp96 said:
You have to realize too, DCI plays at competitions......It ain't many competition HBCU bands participate in....So that lil 7 to 8 minutes on the field is hard to compare to the bands that performs all day on the field.....

That why most of the replies where like....NO!....and "That's a whole other league".

I don't think we were comparing, but mainly saying that HBCU and DCI can not be compared because other than being marching bands, that's the only thing they have in common...... IMO.....:)

SLT said:
That why most of the replies where like....NO!....and "That's a whole other league".

I don't think we were comparing, but mainly saying that HBCU and DCI can not be compared because other than being marching bands, that's the only thing they have in common...... IMO.....:)

Naw, I just see it as they just have way more time to prepare for competition....
HBCU band IMO definitely have the tools to compete.....

I can't speak for all, but I know SU do...just my opinion...

MusicFan said:
Friends,

I feel it is a shame that many of us mistakenly lump the DCI Corps into the same category as college bands (especially SEC) that take the field on Saturdays.

Sure, it's like comparing apples and oranges but I thought it would be especially interesting to hear from those of you who play or played musical instruments.

Looking forward to hearing comments from those who are familar with the top notch HBCU Bands and DCI corps.

Thanks,

MusicFan
Nope!!!!

If there ever came a time when SWAC and DCI Bands competed,.......truth being told,...we would loose and loose big!!!!

MACBFAC said:
Yeah ok :xeye:I respect everyones own views,but on this my friend ,I think you're way off.

Actually, you are way off. Everyone in HBCU bands didn't come from "show" style marching bands. And even thought the rest didn't, they still harness the skills that would make a DCI member jaw drop. I'm really dissappointed that you think no one in an HBCU band has what it takes for DCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back