HAZING OR PLEDGING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wftmb05

AS YOU MIGHT HAVE ALREADY KNOW THE OMEAGS OF SU ARE ON SUPSENSION. DO YOU THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE TAKING HAZING TO AN EXTREME THESE DAYS. TIMES HAVE CHANGED AND YOU CAN'T DO CERTAIN THINGS NOW BECAUSE HAZING IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE NOW AND IT IS A SERIOUS OFFENSE. PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT PEOPLE AREN'T THE SAME AND THEY WILL MESS YOUR FRAT OR SORORITIES UP WITH ALLEGATIONS AND LIES, PUT THE SCHOOLS HAVE TO TAKE THE STUFF SERIOUS BECAUSE SO MANY ORGANIZATIONS ARE DOING IT. I REALLY FEEL THAT THERE IS MORE BEATING THAN TEACHING AND THAT IS SAD. CHECK OUT THESE LAWS AND DEFINITIONS AND PUT YOUR THOUGHTS INTO IT AND RESPOND:

"No organizations shall indulge in any physical

abuse or undignified treatment (hazing) of its members or

prospective members. Hazing is defined as: any action

taken or situation created intentionally or unintentionally,
whether on or off Fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort,

embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Such activities and situations include, but are

not limited to: paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and

psychological shocks; quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips or any other

activities carried outside the confines of the campus or chapter house; wearing publicly

apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in any public

stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; late work

sessions (past 12 Midnight) which interfere with scholastic activity; and any other

activities which are not consistent with Fraternal Law, Ritual, or Policy or with

Regulations and Policies of the educational institution. Hazing is forbidden by the

Fraternity's Constitution and by public laws of the various states."

Pledge (pleg). (1) A person undergoing a trial period before formal initiation into a fraterinity or sorority. (2.) To accept tenative membership in a fraternity or sorority, to be accepted as a pledge. (3.) Something promissed sep. money to be contributed in regular payments.

Haze (haz) vt. hazed, haz'ing[<?OFr haser] (1) Naut. to punish or harass by forcing to do hard, unneccassary work. (2) to initiate or discipline (fellow students) by forcing to do ridiculous, humiliating, or painful things
If you have read the previous information in this site you have gathered quite a bit about the philosophies of Black Greek Lettered Organizations. How we began, what we represent, and for many of us what we have lost. You have been given a glimpse into the things that unifies us in the hope that knowledge will destroy those things that separated us. It is sad to say that one thing that separates us, not as much as organizations, but more as members is the issue of how a person should be brought into an organization. If you ask a member about hazing, in most cases you will get the rehearshed, "We are a non-hazing organization." Yet there are many chapters of any organization that are known to make their pledges do some questionable deeds. Here, we make excuses for what others do, and at the same time we don't want to come off as liars.

For a moment let us go back in time. Back to the time of the Egyptian/African traveler. Let us take a look at him before he set out on the journey to the land of the Greeks as a bringer of LIGHT. Let us remember what it was like when the traveler himself walked in DARKNESS in search of light. First, the traveler had a desire to become more than he was. He had a thirst for knowledge; a thirst so strong that the traveler prayed to God for the right direction. The traveler next inquired of the great minds of the time, for he wanted to become like them. Once a sage or griot (teacher) was found that would take the traveler in, the traveler was set with a challenge or as we call it a CHARGE. There were four charges that existed: The Charged of Instruction, The Charge of Liability, The Charge of Duty, and The Charge by wood and fire. The definition of The Charge of Liability is to put liability on a person or to make liable. The definition of The Charge of Duty is to have care, custody, or supervision over.

When the first three charges were given out the traveler was joined by others who, like him were in search of light. It was by instruction they were taught how to walk in the ways of great thinkers. Together they were made liable for knowledge they were given. If one possessed light they must all possess light. If one was to fall short then it was up to them "ALL" to carry that person. It was their duty to protect the knowledge and each other with engineers, architects, and leaders amongst men and women. For one day they would take on the titles of great sages or griots charged with the job of dispensing light to those walking in "DARKNESS".

After it was seen fit that they were ready to become full fledged travelers, they were tested by wood and fire. Wood was believed to be the purest form known to man. In Egypt, known as Kemet then, wood was exalted because it contained three of the four elements: Earth, Wind, and Water. The fourth element, Fire, returned the wood to its basic components. Since wood was considered to be so pure, the Egyptians took it and "GENTLY" tapped the female sex organ with it. They believed that it would bring fertility to the female. It is for this reason that would be travelers were tested. They were "TAPPED" with wood in order to return them to their original elements that made them men.

Now you might ask how does this apply to the differences between pledging and hazing. Think for a minute over the journey of the traveler; read the two definitions. You must know that the pursuit of knowledge is similar to the trial period by which men are made. Understand that at some point in our lives, each one of us set out in search of light. this smae light was meant to manifest a love in our hearts for God, ourselves, our fellow man, our fellow woman, and our world. Pledging was designed to bring out the best in the pledgee or aspirant. It was created to be a time of bonding, a time of struggle, a time of growth, but most of all a time of joy. For those who pledged they walked in darkness in search of the light that the organization had to offer. For those who did the pledging; it was meant to be their transistion from recipients of light to dispenseres of light.

Unfortunately, the process of pledging at some point for many became a process of hazing. The trials for the purpose of bonding became trails of who could make a person laugh at the torment of others. The trials by which knowledge was taught and learned became trials of a person's pain threshold. the day that pledging became hazing, many members of Black Greek Lettered Organizations lost the knowledge of who we are and why we exist. If you were to ask a person who claims they pledged why the wood was used; there are many who would shrug their shoulders at you and say they didn't know. If you asked them why their line is name like a vessel; they would just ignore you. If you asked them what they are doing not just for their organization, but for empowerment of the Black Community; they would have to sit and wonder. If you ask them how they claim to be unified, but at the drop of a dime they disrespect other Greek Lettered Organizations: they would not know what to tell you.

To be honest there are many who fall prey to at least one of these situations. There is no easy way to say this, but there is one thing that must be considered. If you fall victim to the previously stated situations then it is possible that you were hazed and not pledged. If you don't know why wood was used, yet you are somone who thinks WOOD=PLEDGING; then i am sorry to say that you have a lot to learn about pledging. If you think that being forced to stay up all night for someone else's amusement is pledging; then you have got a lot to learn about pledging. If you disrespect or look down on other organizations; I am sorry to say you were not pledged. If you think that because you didn't take wood that you didn't pledge; you might be surprised to find out it is possible that you did pledge.

Pledging is supposed to teach three things. Loyalty to the principles of the organization, loyalty to brotherhood/sisterhood amongst all men/women, and loyalty to the community from which you came. If you learned all these things, no matter what your process was like, my brother.......my sister you were pledged. If you did not.......sorry you were hazed. To all my Greek, Non-Greek, etc. this is a charge of two questions only you can answer. Were you pledged or were you hazed? Do you pledge or do you haze?

Unfortunately, the process of pledging at some point for many became a process of hazing. The trials for the purpose of bonding became trails of who could make a person laugh at the torment of others. The trials by which knowledge was taught and learned became trials of a person's pain threshold. the day that pledging became hazing, many members of Black Greek Lettered Organizations lost the knowledge of who we are and why we exist. If you were to ask a person who claims they pledged why the wood was used; there are many who would shrug their shoulders at you and say they didn't know. If you asked them why their line is name like a vessel; they would just ignore you. If you asked them what they are doing not just for their organization, but for empowerment of the Black Community; they would have to sit and wonder. If you ask them how they claim to be unified, but at the drop of a dime they disrespect other Greek Lettered Organizations: they would not know what to tell you.

To be hones there are many who fall prey to at least one of these situations. There is no easy way to say this, but there is one thing that must be considered. If you fall victim to the previously stated situations then it is possible that you were hazed and not pledged. If you don't know why wood was used, yet you are somone who thinks WOOD=PLEDGING; then i am sorry to say that you have a lot to learn about pledging. If you think that being forced to stay up all night for someone else's amusement is pledging; then you have got a lot to learn about pledging. If you disrespect or look down on other organizations; I am sorry to say you were not pledged. If you think that because you didn't take wood that you didn't pledge; you might be surprised to find out it is possible that you did pledge.

Pledging is supposed to teach three things. Loyalty to the principles of the organization, loyalty to brotherhood/sisterhood amongst all men/women, and loyalty to the community from which you came. If you learned all these things, no matter what your process was like, my brother.......my sister you were pledged. If you did not.......sorry you were hazed. To all my Greek, Non-Greek, etc. this is a charge of two questions only you can answer. Were you pledged or were you hazed? Do you pledge or do you haze?

Think about it!

Ok....Long Post...I read about the first 3 lines. I'm sure you make some great points, but this thread is being moved to a more appropriate forum...

s phi s

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
:read: I Know this guy's post is long, but so be it. Its excellent and was well needed. After all, who said knowledge could be gained in seconds. A long post is a long post but I think this one should be taken more seriously!!!
:nod2: I encourage everyone to go back and READ IT........don't be scared, you just might learn something..................I did!!!

Man Hazing is not going to stop, FRATS are going to still beat ***** all day everyday no matter if they get threatened or kicked off or whatever it will still happen.. Why because *****S in da frat feel like... If i went through dis Bull ish, then you are too an even worse because im frat and you not.... na shut tha...... up an GET IN DA CUT!!!!

This topic is a waste of time... but u made a good point!

^^^

Realistik:

You thoroughly live out your swacpage username, because even though it's a harsh statement, it is very true...
Hazing is not going to stop. I don't condone the idea of physical hazing, but it unfortunatly still exists, even when people are severely injured. It would be nice, but some jiggas don't know when enough is enough. They thrive on that temporary opportunity of POWER.

ANYBODY who willingly bends over and allows another to beat your tail until it is blacker than the sole of an old slave shoe, he/she is stupid.

I hate hazing and will tell anybody it does not make me closer to you because you beat me....it makes me want to kick off in your tail!

You can put yo mamas pearls on that one!

Sincerely,
Kema

2,3 or 4 Team??

Oh my bad you said Kema.

Had Flashbacks....................Im back now.

HAZINGS is BAD!!!! :lecture:

:lecture: Yea once agin, hazing will never stop.. thats why there is something called UNDERGROUND... and when u dont get touched or pattled, you will be refeered to and labeled as PAPER in the FRAT or SORORITY.... You will not receive any respect, no matter how smart you are, no matter if you know the most info bout the organization than the oldest person or anybody else knows, you still will get no respect all because you didnt GET IN THE "CUT" and you didnt go through what the neo's from the previous line and on up went through.... So that sums up this whole topic... Thank You :lecture:

:shame: Half of these ni**as in most frats that promotes hazing be the first one to hide if some sh*t pop off.!!! :angry: Further, the cats that get the sorority/fraternity kicked off the yard or get the chapter snacthed is never no where to be found or puts in no effort to get it back on its feet!!! :argue2:

And you mean to tell me, a "pledgee" is pager if they don't respect those kinds of individuals......YOU OUT YO MU** FUGGIN MIND!!! Personally, it takes more nuts to tell a person like that to kiss yo azz!!! Does this mean disrespect members of a prospective organization.....hell naw but you got to give respect to get respect!!! We as greeks are so quick to say, "we don't need you"....bull s**t!!! The hell we don't......how the hell else is the legacy gonna continue!!! I'm not saying let just anybody in but colligate people need to act like it and stop this non-sense!!! If the frats/sororities were left to these renegades.....we'd be non-existent!!!

I don't care how you came in the frat....as long as you uphold the morals and values of the fraternity....and WORK for it, you alright with me.

:angry: For those who cause a SEGREGATION over this paper vs real bull****.......I hate everything you fuggin stand for cause yall the reason why sh*t is fugged up now!!! The sad thing is, you doing to each other what DR. King faught racist people for.....segregation Now the white folks are laughing at us saying...."them damn n***ers are doing are job for us, and even better... :lmao: .....they are the "educated" ones.

Now go pledge that!!!!!!!!

Interesting.

As chapter advisor of a belligerent undergraduate chapter, I am carefully figuring things out.

Once the Omegas at Southern were suspended, I put my chapter on notice. After all the resistance failed, I put my proverbial foot down. A choice was given - cease the bullsh!t or get put out of school. Damn the fraternity...out of school.

I had to get real with these fools. Just like the post above. The "real" culprits are the "Brothers" who are out of school and not financial. The undergrads are allowing these has-beens to potentially ruin what they have. So, the sh!t was cut.

As advisor, I refuse to give any potential candidate cause to sue me for my house and/or my earnings for the next 25 years. Not gon' happen.

That's "real".

jagface said:
Interesting.

As chapter advisor of a belligerent undergraduate chapter, I am carefully figuring things out.

Once the Omegas at Southern were suspended, I put my chapter on notice. After all the resistance failed, I put my proverbial foot down. A choice was given - cease the bullsh!t or get put out of school. Damn the fraternity...out of school.

I had to get real with these fools. Just like the post above. The "real" culprits are the "Brothers" who are out of school and not financial. The undergrads are allowing these has-beens to potentially ruin what they have. So, the sh!t was cut.

As advisor, I refuse to give any potential candidate cause to sue me for my house and/or my earnings for the next 25 years. Not gon' happen.

That's "real".

As a fellow advisor, I agree 1000%!!!! :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Realistik said:
:lecture: Yea once agin, hazing will never stop.. thats why there is something called UNDERGROUND... and when u dont get touched or pattled, you will be refeered to and labeled as PAPER in the FRAT or SORORITY.... You will not receive any respect, no matter how smart you are, no matter if you know the most info bout the organization than the oldest person or anybody else knows, you still will get no respect all because you didnt GET IN THE "CUT" and you didnt go through what the neo's from the previous line and on up went through.... So that sums up this whole topic... Thank You :lecture:

Are you advocating hazing, or speaking out against it? It's difficult to tell according to your post.

:confused:

Realistik said:

As long as you are uplifting and staying true to the foundation for which the org was founded on, who cares about a 'label'. :rolleyes:

I understand what all of you are saying.. but i think i made a valid point on both of my posts... it cant get any more truth and being real than that. We all know how frats are ran. We know that at SU, its a 80% chance the Omegas will have a underground line for the next time they want to have inductees coming to the organization... dont let SU be an example of what can happen, L it been happinin so that is nothing new. All im saying is HAZING will never come to an end as long as there are the DIVINE 9 and other organizations.

jagface said:
Interesting.

That's "real".
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jagface said:

That's "real".

This is why I don't even deal with anything that has the word intake in it. I don't agree with intake so rather than be like these other fools and do stupid **** anyway, I just stay away. It ain't worth being sued over for someone who thinks that having a certain job or GPA qualifies them for membership.. I try to tell people all the time that this is not an honor society or The United Way, THIS IS A FRATERNITY!!! Look up the dayum word. It ain't rocket science .. so I just stay active and chill with the old cats and frats from the lineage that I already know and trust. ..I have no problem chillin with the 50 year old cats in my chapter....LOL They are the ones that can help you anyway.

Also, to a previous poster, pledging is not about having nuts but I know that most of us have that perception. If you want to see pledging and what is supposed to happen when it is done RIGHT, watch Coach Carter. I find it amazing that people I know who are against hazing, like that movie. One thing that has always held us down as a peope is pride. Pride is a sin. No one has to be your mama and daddy to teach you something but I digress.

Also, hazing ain't outlawed...it's outlawed for the Black frats and sororities. The things that we do underground and would get in trouble for, white frats advertize on STAMPED/APPROVED campus fliers and official meetings with sponsors present.

what about students like myself who work full-time and goto school full-time and want to pledge?;anyone with suggestions? :topic:

mrbungles said:
what about students like myself who work full-time and goto school full-time and want to pledge?;anyone with suggestions? :topic:
Suck it up!!!!! Do it if you want!!! Stop all this crying!!!

Oh, THAT'S "REAL"!!!! :redhot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back