Hampton, Monmouth and Stony Brook to CAA & now NCAT & Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

If this is what Hampton planned then congrats! However, is the basketball program carrying the other sports? The football program is only averaging about 4K per home game. Hampton obviously has some very generous athletic supporters and/or high student athletic fees. Someone explain how they fund their athletic programs.
Student fees carry the athletics department.

I know because we are on the FCS level that we are suppose to care about these schools but no right in the head child grew up saying I sure wish I could play for or against Stony Brook or Monmouth. Enjoy though.

True but everywhere they are going in their new conference they have active alumni chapters.

Looks like they are gonna engage with their alums

So didn’t the former MEAC Commish present this? Man I guess it’s whose lips it comes from that makes ideas seem grand. Black men in leadership catch fades from all sides. Wow.

No that's why the MEAC broke up. A&T and FAMU asked for divisional set up. A proposal was sent out but never acted upon.

Because it was the Southern schools that was filling stadiums on the road. And basketball gyms too

No that's why the MEAC broke up. A&T and FAMU asked for divisional set up. A proposal was sent out but never acted upon.

Because it was the Southern schools that was filling stadiums on the road. And basketball gyms too
Right but like you just said it was proposed. You say it wasn’t acted on but weren’t NCCU and WSSU added to start moving in that direction? At the time if I recall correctly, there was push back because it was too SWAC-like. No one wanted a MEAC championship game nor forego the playoffs.

Look at where things ended up. Multiple teams drop to D2 and four teams move to other FCS conferences all over operating cost. The splitting into divisions probably would have save at least some of the defection. The MEAC ended up in the bowl game anyway. I’m just an outsider though so what do I know.

Right but like you just said it was proposed. You say it wasn’t acted on but weren’t NCCU and WSSU added to start moving in that direction? At the time if I recall correctly, there was push back because it was too SWAC-like. No one wanted a MEAC championship game nor forego the playoffs.

Look at where things ended up. Multiple teams drop to D2 and four teams move to other FCS conferences all over operating cost. The splitting into divisions probably would have save at least some of the defection. The MEAC ended up in the bowl game anyway. I’m just an outsider though so what do I know.

There was no push back because it was SWAC like. It was push back because the Northern schools wouldn't see the Southern Schools. The Southern Schools were the ones who filled stadiums.

A&T, NCCU, FAMU, BCU, WSSU and SSU was the South.

The North was DSU, Howard , NSU, Morgan , Hampton,

North wanted NCCU, A&T and FAMU on their schedules every year. Wasn't gonna happen which why it didn't work.

No one cares about MEAC championship-game.

There was no push back because it was SWAC like. It was push back because the Northern schools wouldn't see the Southern Schools. The Southern Schools were the ones who filled stadiums.

North wanted NCCU, A&T and FAMU on their schedules every year. Wasn't gonna happen which why it didn't work.

And what you said at the end was the problem. How would you know no one cared unless you put the product out there?

Y'all the same ones that went years blasting the Celebration Bowl when it started out. Y'all really didn't buy-in until the last one you played. And yet and still y'all left the conference for the playoffs for the playoffs.

This is fascinating.

Were there attempts to reconcile concerns with some form of scheduling where teams dropped off? Or was it, we want them all on the schedule no matter what?

And why isn't there more smoke for the member schools' presidents, since they make the votes?

NCAT folks done explained this 1000 times lol. I think NCAT, FAMU and BCU made the right moves by leaving.

Not sure why yall keep giving Dennis Thomas a pass when this was clearly on him.

Sounds like it wasn’t Thomas but the schools being selfish and trying to blame him for their stupidity.

This is what it boils down to. As you said earlier, it all depends on WHO says it and not what was said. Since "Charlie" said it, it makes sense

It has been known for years that the biggest opponents of the CB were Hampton and A&T and the MEAC board only backs this up. Harvey was completely against it until the time they tucked tail to the Big South

This is what it boils down to. As you said earlier, it all depends on WHO says it and not what was said. Since "Charlie" said it, it makes sense

It has been known for years that the biggest opponents of the CB were Hampton and A&T and the MEAC board only backs this up. Harvey was completely against it until the time they tucked tail to the Big South
Hampton voted for the Celebration Bowl though. Message board chatter isn’t accurate as to what the admins were really believing.

It makes sense too as Dr. Harvey and Dennis Thomas worked together at Hampton and are friends.

NCAT folks done explained this 1000 times lol. I think NCAT, FAMU and BCU made the right moves by leaving.

Not sure why yall keep giving Dennis Thomas a pass when this was clearly on him.
Dennis could only do so much. Was he perfect? No. However, he was an employee at the end of the day. High president turnover, presidents with other priorities, and a Co-CEO group that could never get on the same page and find strong enough bonds to weather the storm of being an 11-team conference.

IMHO, it struggled with this allotment for much of existence but now it’s stronger than ever. I suspect that AutoBid was weight on the conference and it seems that they finally have a collective vision surrounding sticking together.

Hopefully, it’s enough.

And no, A&T isn’t going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back