Hampton, Monmouth and Stony Brook to CAA & now NCAT & Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question I have had recently in the back of my mind is… If you could be motivate to raise millions because now you have to compete with those who have millions, why couldn’t you raise it to play black folk? Would that not have solved every so called financial issue you had?

That’s why I appreciate what Jackson is doing and what Grambling is attempting to do. We needed people to challenge us. Put you money where you mouth is. And, there is change coming without having to sacrifice any part of ourselves.

That is why I'll never get on board with these schools taking their talents to help "them" out. Imagine the impact having a top 5 track and field program would do for the MEAC now with the HBCU resurgance going on right now instead of a dead end Big South and now the CAA. They griped and moaned and complained in the MEAC but now that they are around "Uncle Charlie", they feel like they've made it and wanna raise millions to impress "them" instead of doing it while in a black conference like all of the SWAC schools have and continue to do. The young people have NO interest in William & Mary or Charleston Southern. None. TnSU has shown for over 30 decades that this wont work and it will continue to not work

Hampton at least tries to compete athletically but Howard just relies on their name and rolls it out athletically. There's no reason why they should have top tier athletic facilities on top of their "image". They got their heads so far up their a__es that they can't see that have top athletics is just as big a recruitment and fundraising tool as academics (see A&T and the CB).

Just a bunch of sell outs

Eager to make money for YT but with all the brilliant minds at Howard, Hampton and NCAT y’all couldn’t figure out how to make money in the MEAC? You all deserve whatever will happen to you in the future.

And trust us it WILL happen. Ask TnSU.

We're just built different in the SWAC

And trust us it WILL happen. Ask TnSU.

We're just built different in the SWAC
Definitely.

You should see the DUMB stuff they are saying on the MEAC board. lol

They blaming everyone but themselves. At the end of the day, they are just white-washed and doing what they wanted to do all along. Nobody but Hampton will admit it tho.

It’s going to be time to return to the logistical negotiation table pretty soon for the SWAC and what’s left of a depleted MEAC. I can tell you right now, if and when the meac falls, the Coach Prime’s , Gramblings, FAMU’s , Southerns , and anyone else in the SWAC who has a successful season will be clambering about post season opportunity outside of the conference championship.. Our commissioner had better pay attention to our brothers up north in the MEAC and not think things sweet cause we’re a 12 member conference now. You have to entice your money and house hold name institutions why they should stay and not look at the NCAT’s , Hamptons, and now Howard’s of the world and say you know they’re not so crazy after all… just saying… commissioner… don’t wait for the celebration bowl to be in limbo, just saying.

Yep. Get the FBS plan announced and put into motion ASAP.

Maybe it's easier to bail for MEAC schools because they don't really have the heavily attended in-conference rivalries.

I don't know what it's like in the Carolinas or Virginia, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in MEAC football up chere.

Last edited:
Maybe it's easier to bail for MEAC schools because they don't really have the heavily attended conference rivalries.

I don't know what it's like in the Carolinas or Virginia, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in MEAC football up chere.
Not at all. Not a single one of them could go FBS. A&T was the dumbest of all for leaving the MEAC.

The big question facing our HBCUs , are we ready to break tradition and look at these PWI’s as options to sustain dying conferences? Or , are we ready to move up and not see historical familiarity at the dinner table. SWAC can’t add everybody and keep classics alive and people schedules happy for the alumni.

And to my knowledge, the contingency plan for the celebration bowl if the meac goes under is the highest ranked HBCU that does not get a invite to the fcs playoffs would then play in the celebration bowl. I would encourage the commissioner to look into getting our automatic bid to the playoffs back and take in 2 teams max to move to 14 teams after further research while keeping the geographic integrity in tact.

The big question facing our HBCUs , are we ready to break tradition and look at these PWI’s as options to sustain dying conferences? Or , are we ready to move up and not see historical familiarity at the dinner table. SWAC can’t add everybody and keep classics alive and people schedules happy for the alumni.
Nobody is dying but the MEAC because they just some uppity negros like TNState.

There are three viable HBCU conferences. Each of which could love 2-3 members and not miss a beat.

(unless that loss is JSU, of course)

And to my knowledge, the contingency plan for the celebration bowl if the meac goes under is the highest ranked HBCU that does not get a invite to the fcs playoffs would then play in the celebration bowl. I would encourage the commissioner to look into getting our automatic bid to the playoffs back and take in 2 teams max to move to 14 teams after further research while keeping the geographic integrity in tact.
I think somebody made that up.
The agreement is between the MEAC and SWAC. You would have to have other conferences sign an agreement. Sponsors would have to also agree to it. That has not been done.

Otherwise, as is stands now, the SWAC could invite TNState to the CB and not give the OVC a dime.

...and you can give up any thought of us getting an autobid back. We have never had it and never wanted it.

We could form a similar relationship with the MEAC that the Southland and OVC have to assist them until they can bring in another school.
That would not work for us. They can do it because they lack teams. We have 12 teams. It would be hard to work in another conference.

I think somebody made that up.
The agreement is between the MEAC and SWAC. You would have to have other conferences sign an agreement. Sponsors would have to also agree to it. That has not been done.

Otherwise, as is stands now, the SWAC could invite TNState to the CB and not give the OVC a dime.
Oh Hell na fam...

The remaining MEAC schools should seek to join the CAA or drop down to Division II. The MEAC caused its own demise because of poor leadership and then they doubled down and hired a new commissioner probably because she's a Black woman but she was part of the MEAC leadership that failed and saw A&T and Hampton leave.

That would not work for us. They can do it because they lack teams. We have 12 teams. It would be hard to work in another conference.
We just have to get them to their minimum games needed. They would only need one game for each team. So that’s five games. FAMU and BCU already play them. AAMU has no issue playing them. Then, you have the MEAC/SWAC challenge where you can put Delaware State in so the travel cost isn’t an issue. So, one more game needed. An old school Grambling vs Morgan State game? I don’t know the requirements for that type of relationship but it doesn’t seem much of a stretch For a year or two. They just need Virginia State to move up.

We could form a similar relationship with the MEAC that the Southland and OVC have to assist them until they can bring in another school.

I've suggested this on multiple ocassions the past year or so (including this thread I believe). Looks like the MEAC doesn't have a choice now unless they let their snobiness get the best of them and would rather cut off their nose to spite their face (although the uppity schools have bolted/will bolt so the remaining schools might stay put for the time being. I definitely would put Chicago State on hold and get feelers about KSU)

Serious question. What changes in the CAA?

If some of those school kept decent records in sports-this would be easier..
What is Howard, NCAT and Hampton's record versus that conference?

They are going to the 12th strongest basketball conference leaving the 30th worst.
In Non-conference
Townson (NIT) had the 97th toughest schedule
NC Willington was 229 (CBI champs)
Delaware (conf champ & NCCAA tourn) 117.
William and Mary was the worst at 228 (298 at the end)

MEAC
Coppin State 95
5 schools bottom 310
At the end of non-conference Howard was 281 (NC was 280)-everyone else bottom 300.
The Swac
PV was number 4-at the end of non-conference PV was number 2 behind Villanova.
Jackson State 38
Tx Southern 41

So they are leaving a conference where they were the best ranked team at times. To to one that is among the best in the nation and rank low?

Yep. Get the FBS plan announced and put into motion ASAP.

What the hell are y’all or any other school going to do in the FBS?!

Play in front of half-filled stadiums?
Get pimped by the P5?
Become irrelevant like every school outside of the ACC, SEC, Big 10, & Pac 12?
Play in the Bad Boys Mowers Gasparilla Bowl in front of 500 people?

Y’all are insane thinking FBS is the way to go.

What the hell are y’all or any other school going to do in the FBS?!

Play in front of half-filled stadiums?
Get pimped by the P5?
Become irrelevant like every school outside of the ACC, SEC, Big 10, & Pac 12?
Play in the Bad Boys Mowers Gasparilla Bowl in front of 500 people?

Y’all are insane thinking FBS is the way to go.
Tell that to Charles, not me. I’m not the one developing a plan to move the SWAC to the FBS level.

We don’t need to be better than LSU.
We need to better than ULM, LA Tech, UL, etc.

Yeah let's work on beating the bottom tier FBS schools first and then worry about the P5 schools WAY down the line. When was the last time a SWAC school beat a FBS school? We've had way too many close calls but no cigar (Alcorn a couple of times recently, JSU and BCU last year, Grambling a couple years ago)

We don’t need to be better than LSU.
We need to better than ULM, LA Tech, UL, etc.

HBCUs would be strongest if they moved as a bloc. But, this SWAC member school to FBS stuff is a Crack pipe dream. Be better than McNeese, Southeastern and Northwestern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back