Grambling's sagging law could affect GSU students

I'm just shocked that some of you are so sensitive to think this is aiming at black people and pushing them to jail.

So, why else would it be considered?

We can't go around throwing folks in jail because they're ignorant of where a fashion trend allegedly started. Besides, who is placed at risk by young people sagging? Is there a public safety/health concern? Will it cut down on crime and violence?

I need data and figures to support this idea.

I was unable to attend the metting but there were a number of people who spoke out against it here were some of the reasons:

1. Should girls who wear shorts where their but cheecks are showing be issued a ticket?
2. Should girls who wear see through shirts be issued a ticket.

If I am working in my yard and my pants are sagging and I walk across the street....am I wrong.

There are people who's yards are flooding everytime it rains, people almost being hit by cars because streets are too dark, and a host of other issues...

I cant' wait until a Grambling student is arrested for sagging simply b/c he forgot his belt and was running late for class, or was running an errand off campus. This will be a straight A student that never gets in trouble and is a leader or campus. But oh...he's sagging so he broke the law.

This is a dumb law and I'm sure there are other issues in the City of Grambling that needs to be addressed that are waaayyyy more important than kids pants sagging. :smh:

Too damn many....

I cant' wait until a Grambling student is arrested for sagging simply b/c he forgot his belt and was running late for class, or was running an errand off campus. This will be a straight A student that never gets in trouble and is a leader or campus. But oh...he's sagging so he broke the law.

This is a dumb law and I'm sure there are other issues in the City of Grambling that needs to be addressed that are waaayyyy more important than kids pants sagging. :smh:

This is part of what I wrote in a letter to the city council addressing this. The REAL reason this law is taking effect is because of the city's deficit and nothing more. An easy way to get money since the speed traps are not working.

Hell right now the City has a rule where is your water is turned off there is a $150 reconnect fee even if the water was turned off by accident.

Right now for the City of Grambling there are more pressing issues. I can't wait until I am on my spare lot doing yard work and sagging a bit for a cop to come and try to issue me a ticket.

So, why else would it be considered?

We can't go around throwing folks in jail because they're ignorant of where a fashion trend allegedly started. Besides, who is placed at risk by young people sagging? Is there a public safety/health concern? Will it cut down on crime and violence?

I need data and figures to support this idea.

Man do you even leave your bedroom? Seriously. Your whole basis is based on the fact that only black men sag when it's the furthest thing from the truth. AND, if it IS only black men doing it then shouldn't you be more concerned with the root of that than what this law MIGHT be aimed at? It's simple really, if you don't want to be targeted by it then wear your clothes like you're supposed to, it's not hard. If you can walk around with $100 tennis shoes on and $80 pants then buying a $5 belt i'm sure isn't out of the question. Personally, no, I do NOT want to walk around and see men's azz cracks. If that's your thing so be it but I don't want to see it. You should be more worried about how it adds to an already blatant stereotype that we have to deal with. I don't feel sorry for anyone that walks around like this:

saggy-pants.jpg

Notice the shoes? $120 Jordans but they can't put on a belt? My parents would've broken my neck if I even thought about leaving the house looking like that.

I don't think there should be any jail time attach to it, a stiff fine that can be escalated should more than so the trick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Man do you even leave your bedroom? Seriously. Your whole basis is based on the fact that only black men sag when it's the furthest thing from the truth. AND, if it IS only black men doing it then shouldn't you be more concerned with the root of that than what this law MIGHT be aimed at? It's simple really, if you don't want to be targeted by it then wear your clothes like you're supposed to, it's not hard. If you can walk around with $100 tennis shoes on and $80 pants then buying a $5 belt i'm sure isn't out of the question. Personally, no, I do NOT want to walk around and see men's azz cracks. If that's your thing so be it but I don't want to see it. You should be more worried about how it adds to an already blatant stereotype that we have to deal with. I don't feel sorry for anyone that walks around like this:

saggy-pants.jpg

Notice the shoes? $120 Jordans but they can't put on a belt? My parents would've broken my neck if I even thought about leaving the house looking like that.

As far as I am concerned these are two guys fixing their car? So would you fine a girl with her but cheecks out in some hootchie shorts?

saggy-pants.jpg

Of course black males aren't the only group which fashions this style of dress. But sagging isn't associated with Jimmy Chetwood in the 'burbs or Juan in Little Mexico.

Folks who look like them are not the face of this fashion trend in society's eyes. Nor it is considered symbolic of the problems that plague to their people and their culture.

My whole premise is based on the concern that black males will be disproportionately targeted, fined
and jailed just like stop and frisk, which has come under fire in New York and Philadelphia, or other laws that are supposed to maintain order.

Whites commit crimes just like black folks do. But it seems our kind, as studies have shown, serve longer sentences and garner harsher penalties than our majority counterparts, even as it relates to committing similar crimes.

So, forgive me for being skeptical.

Last edited:
I don't think there should be any jail time attach to it, a stiff fine that can be escalated should more than so the trick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

A stiff fine and community service picking up trash in an orange jump suit. :lol: :emlaugh:

A stiff fine and community service picking up trash in an orange jump suit. :lol: :emlaugh:

Having been at some of the meetings when this was discussed a citizen asked how will officers approach someone. The chief said that officers will "observe" the individual then approach them. Another question raised was what if someone is in the neighbors yard and the chief was like the officer would ask for proof of residency....

So if I'm helping my neighbor rake some leaves and my pants are sagging then the officer can write me a ticket...when this was stated...the chief was like...damn...uh oh...we goin have a problem.

Is the problem with GSU students, or non-students off-campus?

Seems to me that if the problem was with students on campus, the school would tackle the issue. After all, they are trying to mold these young men into future professionals.

If criminals want to walk around with their pants around their knees, I am all for it, as it will slow them down when fleeing the cops!

Is the problem with GSU students, or non-students off-campus?

Seems to me that if the problem was with students on campus, the school would tackle the issue. After all, they are trying to mold these young men into future professionals.

If criminals want to walk around with their pants around their knees, I am all for it, as it will slow them down when fleeing the cops!

Campus security don't care as long as students are not breaking laws. The chief presenting this option because people in the community were complaining to him about kids saggin. GSU has a dress code and usually teachers let it slide as long as students are doing their work etc...

What people are complaining about is that why is the city worrying about sagging pants when there have been complaints about officers not responding to 911 calls, taxes increasing when the city has purchased the chief his car, the mayor his car, etc.... The citizens have also been vocal about unsafe streets because of poor lighting, the need for sidewalks, sewage issues etc...

Hell the police would have to fine EVERY trash worker and water employee because they always saggin...:emlaugh:

Really, it's just bigger issues than sagging pants.

Well the law might come back to bite the City of Grambling in the ass and cost it more money because judges across the Country are ruling the law unconstitutional.

If some of you would keep up the world other cities have already implemented no sagging laws. I would start off with hefty fines, hit them wallets. If they are foolish enough to keep it up then go to other measures. The black community has to start somewhere, we got to focus on things one at a time. If we continue to allow things like this, we might as well allow our grandkids go out in their damn boxers and boxer briefs, hell we might as well since they love to show their azz.

If some of you would keep up the world other cities have already implemented no sagging laws. I would start off with hefty fines, hit them wallets. If they are foolish enough to keep it up then go to other measures. The black community has to start somewhere, we got to focus on things one at a time. If we continue to allow things like this, we might as well allow our grandkids go out in their damn boxers and boxer briefs, hell we might as well since they love to show their azz.

The home should be that place.

First...I am all for the law.

I was on the campus last month and it was ridiculous to see so many men walking around campus with their draws showing. I mean everywhere I turned them MOFOs where showing their draws.

For those of you who argue there are more important things the city can do than this: that is likely true. However, those things probably cost money the city doesn't have. Well, guess where the money to get those "other things" done are going to come from? Yep, them saggin ass MOFOs on campus.

Those multiple $150 - $500 fines should add up quite nicely overtime. :nod:

Nice work City of Grambling! :tup:

Back