Grambling's sagging law could affect GSU students

usa today

Sgt Backfire
GRAMBLING -- Sagging in the city of Grambling may become a costly fashion statement for Grambling State University students, their visitors and city residents.

On Thursday night, the Grambling City Council passed an ordinance making indecent exposure -- the showing of undergarments and underwear – illegal. Failure to comply may result in fines of $150 to $500, community service, and even time in jail.

Some university students feel attacked by the new law and others are happy that something is being done about a fashion statement they consider unacceptable.

Read the rest.....http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...bling-s-sagging-law-could-affect-GSU-students

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't see a problem with it. One of the sadest and most disgusting thing I see is young men walking around with their pants half off of their ass looking as much nasty as a circus clown. Many fools in metro Atlanta are actually walking around holding their pants up. This is a daily thing.

This is stupid.

No it's stupid to walk around like that especially the health issues that sagging can cause.

If it's targeting blacks-why do it?

A little sagging is not the issue-it's the sagging where a guy's penis is the only thing holding up those pants. All you see is dirty underwear. Then we want to complain about not being able to get jobs-what real company is going to hire a bunch of us with sagging pants? Especially the group of boys that have not be taught on how to dress.

You are one of the problems in the black community.

I doubt it.

Don't you see this is just yet another ploy to target black males, especially young black boys who society already see as threats to begin with? Sure, sagging pants -- extreme or otherwise -- is unsightly to many. However, this style of dress, which is a form of rebellion and a counterculture to the status quo, shouldn't garner legal consequences either.

How deep do you want to go?

Do we go after chicks for exposing too much cleavage or not leaving much to the imagination? We let the good ole boys roam around with apparel and bumper stickers that feature all sorts of racists messages and odes to the Confederacy. Certainly we should go after them, right?

What about tattoos? Many people can't stand folks who have these very ubiquitous tatts covering their bodies with various explicit images, words and symbols. What about cross-dressers? Who wants to walk down the street and witness Budda in a sundress wearing four-inch heels? How about those kids who adopt the Gothic look? Should these people be fined and thrown in jail because their style of dress offends our sensibilities?

Last edited:
I doubt it.

Don't you see this is just yet another ploy to target black males, especially young black boys who society already see as threats to begin with? Sure, sagging pants -- extreme or otherwise -- is unsightly to many. However, this style of dress, which is a form of rebellion and a counterculture to the status quo, shouldn't garner legal consequences either.

Do we go after chicks for exposing too much cleavage or not leaving much to the imagination? We let the good ole boys roam around with apparel and bumper stickers that feature all sorts of racists messages and odes to the Confederacy. Certainly we should go after them, right?

What about tattoos? Many people can't stand folks who have these very ubiquitous tatts covering their bodies with various explicit images, words and symbols. What about cross-dressers? Who wants to walk down the street and witness Budda in a sundress wearing four-inch heels? How about those kids who adopt the Gothic look? Should these people be fined and thrown in jail because their style of dress offends our sensibilities?

USAToday was correct. You are certainly a part of the problem.

I'm part of the problem by being concerned about the intention of this law?

Your ability of discernment is weak at best in this instance. You can't reconcile between the buffoonish and immoral behavior of clowns running around in society with their pants half off their ass walking around holding their pants up and the intention of the law. The garbage your wrote earlier isn't deep but dumb (tough love). It is a very sad commentary that you would try to justify this disgusting behavior with any rational. I am not totally dismayed though after reading a few of your posts/blogs/commentaries.

They should make it illegal EVERYWHERE to sag. You sag.......then take yo ass to jail. Nobody wanna see that.

Your ability of discernment is weak at best in this instance. You can't reconcile between the buffoonish and immoral behavior of clowns running around in society with their pants half off their ass walking around holding their pants up and the intention of the law. The garbage your wrote earlier isn't deep but dumb (tough love). It is a very sad commentary that you would try to justify this disgusting behavior with any rational. I am not totally dismayed though after reading a few of your posts/blogs/commentaries.

There are plenty examples of disgusting behaviors that aren't subject to fines or imprisonment in this country. So spare me. Attempts to pass anti-sagging laws in various states, cities and counties have been shot down over the years due being ruled unconstitutional or a waste of tax payer dollars to enforce.

This issue is low hanging fruit.

Such laws do not, regardless of its intention, address any of the ills that many believe plague black youth, black males or black communities as a whole. It only reinforces stereotypes that if young men are wearing their pants in this fashion they must be troublemakers, gang bangers or drug dealers. You know, the scary black dudes folks see on the news and read in the newspaper.

This is no different than "stop and frisk" in my opinion, and sets up racial profiling.

Remember last year when the football player was kicked off a flight because he was wearing baggy jeans or refused to pull up is baggy jeans? Come to find out that same airline allowed a white dude to wear fishnets and women's undergarments on board without confronting him.

Yeah, stuff like that is why I'm apprehensive to support such laws.

They should make it illegal EVERYWHERE to sag. You sag.......then take yo ass to jail. Nobody wanna see that.

Yep. And the powers that be would love nothing more than to lock our asses up for any reason, and profit off our imprisonment.

There are plenty examples of disgusting behaviors that aren't subject to fines or imprisonment in this country. So spare me. Attempts to pass anti-sagging laws in various states, cities and counties have been shot down over the years due being ruled unconstitutional or a waste of tax payer dollars to enforce.

This issue is low hanging fruit.

Such laws do not, regardless of its intention, address any of the ills that many believe plague black youth, black males or black communities as a whole. It only reinforces stereotypes that if young men are wearing their pants in this fashion they must be troublemakers, gang bangers or drug dealers. You know, the scary black dudes folks see on the news and read in the newspaper.

This is no different than "stop and frisk" in my opinion, and sets up racial profiling.

Remember last year when the football player was kicked off a flight because he was wearing baggy jeans or refused to pull up is baggy jeans? Come to find out that same airline allowed a white dude to wear fishnets and women's undergarments on board without confronting him.

Yeah, stuff like that is why I'm apprehensive to support such laws.

Sure, I'll spare you alright. :lol: :emlaugh: We'll agree to radically disagree.

Yep. And the powers that be would love nothing more than to lock our asses up for any reason, and profit off our imprisonment.

Contrary to popular belief you have a ton of young white males that sag too. Carry they ass to prison as well.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yep ignorant people that sag might as well take their ass to jail, show yo azz in jail and see what you get. Hell it seems thats what they want anyway.

No it's stupid to walk around like that especially the health issues that sagging can cause.

If it's targeting blacks-why do it?

A little sagging is not the issue-it's the sagging where a guy's penis is the only thing holding up those pants. All you see is dirty underwear. Then we want to complain about not being able to get jobs-what real company is going to hire a bunch of us with sagging pants? Especially the group of boys that have not be taught on how to dress.

Say it again man, he didn't hear you.

I doubt it.

Target? If you allow ignorance to manifest it only gets worse. Standards need to be set and if they aren't set in the home, someone else has to step in. My son knows i don't play that mess and his friends know it also. Even when i go home to Shreveport my nephews know they aren't going to do that around me. By the way the black community can't tackle every issue at once but sagging is definitely a start.

Yep ignorant people that sag might as well take their ass to jail, show yo azz in jail and see what you get. Hell it seems thats what they want anyway.

Then if the jackasses pants aren't falling off of their stinky behinds they're walking around like some kind of low life pervert holding them up. No one in public should be subjected to that trash. :smh: :lol: :emlaugh:

Last edited:
Target? If you allow ignorance to manifest it only gets worse. Standards need to be set and if they aren't set in the home, someone else has to step in. My son knows i don't play that mess and his friends know it also. Even when i go home to Shreveport my nephews know they aren't going to do that around me. By the way the black community can't tackle every issue at once but sagging is definitely a start.

No one has yet to explain how these laws will improve the circumstances for the greater good aside from, "Don't nobody wanna see that" or "it's ignorant or it's disgusting." As those are good reasons to lock somebody up. Shoot, if we went by that logic, everyone would have a record.

Last edited:
I agree with Kendrick on this one. All this is is the fashion police. It only adds more men... Black men... Into the legal system.

So we as the black community should just allow the generation to continue to look like fools? If we as a community don't stand for something, we fall for anything, which has created this problem in the black community anyway. I know more than black people sag but who does the media push into the spotlight? The black community has been to complacent and allow things like this to happen far to long. I'm just shocked that some of you are so sensitive to think this is aiming at black people and pushing them to jail. These ignorant mofos know where pants sagging originated and still do it so it is what it is.

Those laws are absolutely ridiculous.

How is it indecent exposure to expose clothing?

Is it indecent exposure if one wears another set of underwear underneath the set of underwear that is showing?

Is it indecent exposure if one doesn't wear any underwear?

Nothing is being exposed.

There should be no fines until the "pants are on the ground".

Last edited:
I cant' wait until a Grambling student is arrested for sagging simply b/c he forgot his belt and was running late for class, or was running an errand off campus. This will be a straight A student that never gets in trouble and is a leader or campus. But oh...he's sagging so he broke the law.

This is a dumb law and I'm sure there are other issues in the City of Grambling that needs to be addressed that are waaayyyy more important than kids pants sagging. :smh:

I cant' wait until a Grambling student is arrested for sagging simply b/c he forgot his belt and was running late for class, or was running an errand off campus. This will be a straight A student that never gets in trouble and is a leader or campus. But oh...he's sagging so he broke the law.

This is a dumb law and I'm sure there are other issues in the City of Grambling that needs to be addressed that are waaayyyy more important than kids pants sagging. :smh:

This is the same city that petitioned the NCAA to recognize Eddie Robinson as the Division I all-time wins leader. Yeah, the folks down in those parts have a history of having their priorities in order.

Back