Grambling's sagging law could affect GSU students

I'm sorry those days are over. You only have a handful of people really parenting. Look at the schools. It takes a village. If the parent isn't doing it, someone else needs to take up the slack.

So only seven people are actually parenting? Wow!

I wonder if the guys who wear sagging pants know the history of the "sagging pants"?

Sagging is such an odd trend, considering it started in prison to let others know you "get down".

Or maybe that is what many of these men wish to imply? For some, this is probably the case.

Still, it is not the responsibility of the Government to enforce dress code.

Sagging is such an odd trend, considering it started in prison to let others know you "get down".

Or maybe that is what many of these men wish to imply? For some, this is probably the case.

Still, it is not the responsibility of the Government to enforce dress code.

Which is why I can't understand for the life of me why it is glorified? Not to mention it looks ridiculous! But you're right, do we really need the government to start enforcing dress codes? This falls under the "we have bigger fish to fry" category.

So this is legal?

77c29427-702c-4034-8d3e-944fdaec4d09

gabby-quinteros--38.jpg

but this is not?

0418sagging-pants_fa.jpg

lead_pants.jpg

Oh the hypocrisy and double standards. This is a law designed to target a certain class of people. Which exposes more? Don't get me wrong, I don't like seeing men's underwear at all, and I love seeing a good set of cleavage and a nice female ass in a thong lol, but to have a law against it is just plain dumb and stupid. Hell you can see a bare ass on some tv shows on network tv.

First...I am all for the law.

I was on the campus last month and it was ridiculous to see so many men walking around campus with their draws showing. I mean everywhere I turned them MOFOs where showing their draws.

For those of you who argue there are more important things the city can do than this: that is likely true. However, those things probably cost money the city doesn't have. Well, guess where the money to get those "other things" done are going to come from? Yep, them saggin ass MOFOs on campus.

Those multiple $150 - $500 fines should add up quite nicely overtime. :nod:

Nice work City of Grambling! :tup:

:tup::tup:

Which is why I can't understand for the life of me why it is glorified? Not to mention it looks ridiculous! But you're right, do we really need the government to start enforcing dress codes? This falls under the "we have bigger fish to fry" category.

Its glorified because you have ignorant people in the black community that accept it, just look at some of the posts. Many are part of the problem and don't realize it.

First...I am all for the law.

I was on the campus last month and it was ridiculous to see so many men walking around campus with their draws showing. I mean everywhere I turned them MOFOs where showing their draws.

For those of you who argue there are more important things the city can do than this: that is likely true. However, those things probably cost money the city doesn't have. Well, guess where the money to get those "other things" done are going to come from? Yep, them saggin ass MOFOs on campus.

Those multiple $150 - $500 fines should add up quite nicely overtime. :nod:

Nice work City of Grambling! :tup:

Should the law apply to females as well, or just males?

Its glorified because you have ignorant people in the black community that accept it, just look at some of the posts. Many are part of the problem and don't realize it.

I'm not glorifying nor do I like guys sagging. My point is while there are people running to the chief complaining about it, you have dudes dealing drugs 30 yards away from the police department, police not responding to calls, sewage problems which can be resolved by applying for the correct grant, etc....

I wonder what the chief will do when his nephew and son are arrested....ooops....:emlaugh:

I was going to post this in the Black History Contribution thread that Law Dawg started, but I've been so busy that I didn't have time to post any Black History. It's ironic that there's a thread about sagging, so I'll post it:

Young men should know the origin of "sagging" and be able to discern the facts from the myths behind it. Knowledge is power and our young men deserve the chance to make an educated decision concerning the images they see and sometimes promote.

A lot of young men, particularly young Black men and boys, may view "sagging" as a form of rebellion, a way of saying they refuse to conform. The funny thing is that's exactly what they're doing....conforming to peer pressure. Our young Black boys and men are pulling away from mainstream society's idea of compliance.

"Sagging" dates back centuries among African Americans. But back then, "sagging" wasn't a fashion statement:

Slavery-before and during the Civil War era, slaves were forced to wear over-sized clothing as a means to discourage any attempts of escape. It was thought escape attempts would be pointless and prevented if the slaves couldn't run. Now, "sagging" has gone from physical captivity to a form of mental "enslavement". If parents, teachers, churches took the time to educate our young Black boys and men that slaves were deprived of well-fitting pants that we take for granted today, maybe they would begin to take more pride in their appearance and pull their pants up!

Late 80's, early 90's-"sagging" is a symbol of incarceration. There is some truth in the age old rumor of "sagging" being a "sexual signal" in prison; but before there were prison jumpsuits, prisoners wore uniforms based on what was available, and in many cases, those uniforms were over-sized. Also, due to murders and suicides that happened in prison, belts weren't issued to prisoners, thus "sagging" was prevalent among the prisoners.

After being released from prison, gang members continued to "sag" their pants to indicate they'd "done time". This look was glorified and glamorized among rap and hip/hop artists and soon the "sagging' fad was born.

Today-many African American boys and young men don't even know the sexual signal they send to predators who are attracted to "sagging"; this is wide-spread more than many of us think. Our sons, brothers, uncles, cousins, young fathers, and friends don't even realize they're the silent focus of lustful eyes as they walk down the streets with sagging jeans/pants.

It's time we encourage our African American young men to rise above trends and define their own personal style. Mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, aunts, everyone, we must let every young Black man know that they don't have to bow to peer pressure. When the majority of our young brothers develop and take on a more positive self-image, the negative one will fade away and few will want to be associated with it. Once the new concept of "fitting in" has a more positive spin, then fitting in will for once be good thing!

Just something to think about TSPN!:swink:

I was going to post this in the Black History Contribution thread that Law Dawg started, but I've been so busy that I didn't have time to post any Black History. It's ironic that there's a thread about sagging, so I'll post it:

Young men should know the origin of "sagging" and be able to discern the facts from the myths behind it. Knowledge is power and our young men deserve the chance to make an educated decision concerning the images they see and sometimes promote.

A lot of young men, particularly young Black men and boys, may view "sagging" as a form of rebellion, a way of saying they refuse to conform. The funny thing is that's exactly what they're doing....conforming to peer pressure. Our young Black boys and men are pulling away from mainstream society's idea of compliance.

"Sagging" dates back centuries among African Americans. But back then, "sagging" wasn't a fashion statement:

Slavery-before and during the Civil War era, slaves were forced to wear over-sized clothing as a means to discourage any attempts of escape. It was thought escape attempts would be pointless and prevented if the slaves couldn't run. Now, "sagging" has gone from physical captivity to a form of mental "enslavement". If parents, teachers, churches took the time to educate our young Black boys and men that slaves were deprived of well-fitting pants that we take for granted today, maybe they would begin to take more pride in their appearance and pull their pants up!

Late 80's, early 90's-"sagging" is a symbol of incarceration. There is some truth in the age old rumor of "sagging" being a "sexual signal" in prison; but before there were prison jumpsuits, prisoners wore uniforms based on what was available, and in many cases, those uniforms were over-sized. Also, due to murders and suicides that happened in prison, belts weren't issued to prisoners, thus "sagging" was prevalent among the prisoners.

After being released from prison, gang members continued to "sag" their pants to indicate they'd "done time". This look was glorified and glamorized among rap and hip/hop artists and soon the "sagging' fad was born.

Today-many African American boys and young men don't even know the sexual signal they send to predators who are attracted to "sagging"; this is wide-spread more than many of us think. Our sons, brothers, uncles, cousins, young fathers, and friends don't even realize they're the silent focus of lustful eyes as they walk down the streets with sagging jeans/pants.

It's time we encourage our African American young men to rise above trends and define their own personal style. Mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, aunts, everyone, we must let every young Black man know that they don't have to bow to peer pressure. When the majority of our young brothers develop and take on a more positive self-image, the negative one will fade away and few will want to be associated with it. Once the new concept of "fitting in" has a more positive spin, then fitting in will for once be good thing!

:lecture: :clap:

Indeed. It takes a village.

Back