Grambing/ Jackson game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by SUtrp96
You can't tell by listening to it?

:confused:

Of course if you look at both scores, it won't LOOK the exact same.... It's about the sound that is being produce.....

What it sound like is all that matters...

~1~
The arrangements are not the same. Our arrangement is written differently in the beginning however,... I know that the chromatic resolution was an idea derrived from SU!!! :bawling: :smh: It would appear that we used your idea and expanded on it.

This is starting to remind me of Coming to America!!!
McDowells vs McDonalds.

Please let SU be SU and Let Grambling be Grambling!!!!!!

That is all I have to say in public!!!!

Originally posted by Legend35
I know that the chromatic resolution was an idea derrived from SU!!! :bawling: :smh: It would appear that we used your idea and expanded on it.

This is starting to remind me of Coming to America!!!
McDowells vs McDonalds.

Please let SU be SU and Let Grambling be Grambling!!!!!!

Contradiction

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What? SU Trump, JSU handed your azz on a platter, maybe you shouldn't have slept on Jackson like yall will on Grambling. Oh by the way, did SU really call that a fieldshow in Memorial? Besides the phasing problem, Jackson out marched and out sounded you, too. SU can't talk. Noise Talka, dont let me get on you and you know what I mean!

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
First and foremost, Legand35 and Prof K...

lol. Dude all yall had to do was go down to the ramp. It just depends on who the security person is. I know most of them, but the dude on yalls side and the White guy at the ramp were trippin i see. smh. i tried. lol....just like grams band. Grambling was better this year....still no cigar. But they are better. SUtrp96, Grambling's version of THE SHOW is not similar to yalls...its exactly the same. lol@ someone sayin i like GSU's interpetation....lol..dude its a carbon copy of SU's arrangement....that's so garbage. smh. Anyway...it was a good game.
LOL! You just can't give a straight complement without putting in a slap to the face, can you? I'm surprised you heard the beginning of the show because JSU was running a cadence. If I remember correctly, the beginning was piano.

GSU has improved. I don't remember anyone saying they doubted they improved. But I have a few comments on the game.

1. Why did GSU go up into the stands as soon as they reached the stadium of going all the way down and coming up the ramp like everyone else? I guess their plan was to go into the stadium there then come back out where the band is supposed to sit. I guess when it started raining, they had no choice but to stay bacl there.

2. Why did both bands stay in the back until half-time. The BOOM was probably only 15 panchos short. They could have sent ONLY the woodwinds back there.

But now on to the game. At Half-time the BOOM took it, but GSU has improved. They were never totally garbage on the field, but at times they seemed to be suffering from the way dillusions that FAMU was. But this year their drill and their performance of it was actually very good. Probably one of the better drills I saw this year with the exception of SU. I have to go back at look at the TxSU tape to determine which of them had more going on. But so far, with the exception of how dry Valley was the 2 times I saw them, all the bands in the conference seem to be pretty good on the field. I wasn't too impressed with the GSU dancing girls and I thought their dance was a bit boring compared to what I was expecting from them. But I think they proved my point that dancing while playing only doesn't make a dance more exciting. You still have to have exciting dances while playing. But GSU had a good drill and a good on the field sound. They probably had more power on the field than any band I've heard other than SU and FAMU. Their directors had good song selection at half-time. Speaking of song selection, that may be the only thing GSU did better than the BOOM this half-time. They chose powerful music that was upbeat and just felt like something you could drive to. I personally have not cared for the BOOM's drill music all season.

In the stands GSU must of thought they were SU because they tried to crank up Neck as the BOOM was coming off the field. They sounded pretty tight and were powerful as ell on it, but ofcouse Neck has always been one of the songs I thought they play 10 times better than anything else they play similar to Valley and Devil's Gun. They played one other song, and it was clean and powerful also. Then they crunk up ESPN. The same can be said about that. By then the BOOM was back in the stands and they played ESPN back and forth at each other. GSU seemed to fade out from what they were when they first started playing it around maybe the 4th time. The BOOM seemed to get louder each time until the last time. I don't know what happened the last time they played it back. IT really wasn't there. After those 3 songs GSU played, I really thought they came to give some serious. But like on ESPN, they seemed to be fading out more with each song. Power isn't usually their thing, and I guess they're not conditioned for it. I'll say the BOOM took every section except F-horns. Everyone was saying GSU's tubas were beast. I just didn't hear it. Although now that I think back, maybe the tubas were a toss-up. GSU's trumpets and trombones were weak in my opinion. I don't think our f-horns were better than theirs, but since neither had a good game, saying it was a toss-up is kinda mutt point. The one thing GSU did have was b-tones. That seems to be a consistency around the conference this season. Everyone seems to have pretty good drills and a strong b-tone section. IF they hadn't faded out as the game went out, GSU's b-tones could have been more comp.

Althought individual sections can't match-up, I think overall band GSU did a good job of putting it together. I didn't hear any individuals trying to do too much and making the same mistakes Valley did. Although as they game came close to the end GSU played a few songs that made he feel kinda like I did at the Valley game against SU. They started off sounding good, then started sounding like the same ole same ole. They have improved a lot, but arrangements seem to still be a problem.

In the 5th I say the BOOM took 4 of 5 songs. There were a few GSU people including Machiavelli who say more like 3 of 5, but I guess each has their opinion. GSU sounded aight in the 5th but not as good as at half-time or early 3rd quarter. I think they may have been running out of gas, and a few of their arrangements were ok at best. That Crazy is Love to me wasn't that good. It was a good idea though. Instead of playing exactly like the song, they mixed it up a little. That was good to hear something different, but the overall arrangement could have been better.

OVerall GSU is improved. They sounded much better 80% of the time and they didn't have people sticking out messing up the sound of the whole band. Their only problems seem to come from arrangements and maybe some weaknesses in individual sections. If GSU could look and sound like they did at half-time and sound in the stands the way they did at least at the start of the 3rd quarter and get some better arrangements, they could be a top 5 band. I tihnk they sound good on probably 80% of thier stands tunes, but there were just a few songs that sounded like the old GSU. GSU had good song selection and they have people that can play, but they have to keep improving their arrangements. I didn't really get to meet anyone but Machiavelli and 1 other GSU person. The band loaded the bus as soon as they got outside.

Overall I give GSU a B-

Although they have improved, I don't think they have enough to hang with SU in the stands just yet at the Bayou Classic.

You can't tell by listening to it?

:confused:

Of course if you look at both scores, it won't LOOK the exact same.... It's about the sound that is being produce.....

What it sound like is all that matters...

~1~
Ay bruh I can't speak for the rest I give SU credit. I might not agree with some of the things that go on but I respect you all. That is trill. I mean the classic this year is a month away we still have Tex. South and I really don't know who all you have left before us. So when the time comes for the classic we will talk about it. Like I have been stating all I wanted was for other SWAC bands to RESPECT us. And I am glad to that we got some respect from some of you JSU. But to let you know the best part of the game was fellowshiping with some of the "Boom". Under the stands.

Hey Funky tone
Question: Are you an arranger.
Compare to the arrangements that I have heard of crazy in love. Grambling has the better one. Sounds more closer to the song. Arrangements is not our problem. I promise you

Originally posted by FunkyTone_98_2

1. Why did GSU go up into the stands as soon as they reached the stadium of going all the way down and coming up the ramp like everyone else? I guess their plan was to go into the stadium there then come back out where the band is supposed to sit. I guess when it started raining, they had no choice but to stay bacl there.

2. Why did both bands stay in the back until half-time. The BOOM was probably only 15 panchos short. They could have sent ONLY the woodwinds back there.

I can't speak for Jackson but, as far as Grambling is concerned,........for some reason the band was not equipped for the rain. People get sick that way. The well being of the students comes first as far as I am concern.

Second. We just got the whole band outfitted with new instruments and we got to take care of them. Probably if they had rain coats,.....the brass might have went out while the woodwinds stayed behind.

On your take of the arrangements,..... I don't have a problem with them. They are a whole lot better than they were before. As I study the tapes I notice that we have problems at the end of phrases in terms of how long to hold a note before moving on to the next phrase or a counter melody between phrases that is not clean. As long as they are moving forward,...that's all we can ask for.

Is there a problem????

Originally posted by Blue Giant
Arrangements is not our problem. I promise you
I'm just sittin' here thinking about this statement. If there is a problem that doesn't have anything to do with arrangements,......What is the problem??????

Please PM me.

Amen. lol. Did someone comment on GSU's "CRAZY IN LOVE"......Oh My God.....stop the madness. LMAO. I thank Dr. Liddell for not even playing that back. lol. LMAO@GRAMBLING's Version of "CRAZY IN LOVE"

My comments are not up for debate Legand...lol. they are just my comments. You Gram folks have obviously not heard SU's version of the show....whoever wrote yall's version has, so go ask him. lol. You don't have to explain it...i'm not mad about it, you're Grambling....it's expected of yall, yall are slaw. period. lol. It's just in your backwoods, usher-shoe character. lol. Gram yall are doing alot better, but take the "reck shop" theory to Itta Bena or something...you still have a long way to go before you can hang with the big boyz. lol. Get off the porch Grambling, get off the porch. lol.

My comments are not up for debate Legand...lol. they are just my comments. You Gram folks have obviously not heard SU's version of the show....whoever wrote yall's version has, so go ask him. lol. You don't have to explain it...i'm not mad about it, you're Grambling....it's expected of yall, yall are slaw. period. lol. It's just in your backwoods, usher-shoe character. lol. Gram yall are doing alot better, but take the "reck shop" theory to Itta Bena or something...you still have a long way to go before you can hang with the big boyz. lol. Get off the porch Grambling, get off the porch. lol.
:slap::spin: And then you woke the he!! up!!!!
I have heard SU's version and I'm tellin' you all they are not the exact same arrangement!!!! the Chromatic resolution is the ONLY similarity!!!!
The End of Discussion!!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was disappointed in the fact that jsu started to play after Grambling was already playing. That is truly sad.

What about yalls arrangement of ESPN, your marching style, when you played "Hay in the Middle of the Barn"(That arrangement Sucked by the way), I'm Doing Just Fine, and countless other songs that you had when Southern had them first. Coincidence? I think not! You say we had the same arrangement Southern had but look at all the stuff you steal from other bands especially Southern. You would steal the A-OH if you could, but the season is nearly over. Even on the field, you stole that laying on the ground crap from FAMU! If we we're so "slaw" then why do you waste your time talking to us? YOU must be SLAW too 'cause you like to talk to us! After all, birds of a feather flock together!:lmao:

Originally posted by Prof K
What about yalls arrangement of ESPN, your marching style, when you played "Hay in the Middle of the Barn"(That arrangement Sucked by the way), I'm Doing Just Fine, and countless other songs that you had when Southern had them first. Coincidence? I think not! You say we had the same arrangement Southern had but look at all the stuff you steal from other bands especially Southern. You would steal the A-OH if you could, but the season is nearly over. Even on the field, you stole that laying on the ground crap from FAMU! If we we're so "slaw" then why do you waste your time talking to us? YOU must be SLAW too 'cause you like to talk to us! After all, birds of a feather flock together!:lmao:

Come on now Prof K. I know you're trying to prove a point, but JSU's ESPN sounds nothing like Southern's version. JSU's marching style is not identical to Southern, although similar, but considering the fact that Pop Duplessis formulated that style over thirty years ago, and was a grad of SU, wouldn't you expect them to be. Hay in the Middle of the Barn was actually played by JSU first. We played it for the first time in '96 at Southern as part of the dance routine and in the stands. Soon after that everyone was playing it, but that's not a big deal seeing that the song was popular at that time, so everyone picked up on it. Doing Just Fine is another popular song, that's like saying someone copying another band playing Crazy in Love this year. I know you're trying to prove a point but some of those examples are faulty man. Some people say that JSU played "Do What You Wanna" first, but does that mean SU is copying them by playing it, no. It was a Louisiana song and very popular so it wouldn't matter if JSU played it first or not. If you want to say JSU stole "Rocks the House" from GSU cool. But seeing that was about 20-25 years ago I think it has very little to do with anybody relating to the JSU program now. They couldn't stop doing it if they wanted to, its now their tradition. Hell, JSU had a whole different staff at that time, so its not even the current staff's doing. It's too late now.
JSU just Debo'd Grambling. In the words of Debo from Friday, "Dis my bike, punk.":D

JSU wasn't the first band SU heard play "HAY" since you said ya'll first played in at the SU game, you all wasn't the first.....

Alabama St. played it..... Heck everybody in the SWAC played it before SU whole band played it...Our Bass horns played it all season long.....

But it took SU to play it for people to go ....."WOE"...
:cool:

JSU wasn't the first band SU heard play "HAY" since you said ya'll first played in at the SU game, you all wasn't the first.....

Alabama St. played it..... Heck everybody in the SWAC played it before SU whole band played it...Our Bass horns played it all season long.....

And next, you'll be saying that SU was the first to play "Get Ready"...sheesh, give it a rest already!

Actually we played Alabama St. the very first game in '96 and we played it in the dance routine, but I think only the tubas did the bass line. I only remember that game because of the fight. I don't think ASU played it that game but I'll have to look at my tape to be sure. So if they played the full version before us it may be possible since we saw them the 1st game and played SU in the middle of the year. They may have played it in the following week or two and we (JSU) wouldn't have known. I don't think we played the full version until then, the SU game, but it may have been earlier than that. That's the first time I remember but that was damn near ten years ago. Either way I think you & I both seem to agree JSU played it before SU. That's what I was pointing out to Prof K. He was using that song as an example to say JSU copies SU's songs.

But SUtrp96 I think you missed my point, even if that example was wrong, and it may be as far as us being the very first to play it, but you made the very point I was talking about. No one was copying anyone by playing it because it was a very popular song at the time and everyone probably started playing it around the same time, just like Doing Just Fine and Crazy in Love and other popular songs.:)

Originally posted by jaydog
Actually we played Alabama St. the very first game in '96 and we played it in the dance routine, but I think only the tubas did the bass line. I only remember that game because of the fight. I don't think ASU played it that game but I'll have to look at my tape to be sure. So if they played the full version before us it may be possible since we saw them the 1st game and played SU in the middle of the year. They may have played it in the following week or two and we (JSU) wouldn't have known. I don't think we played the full version until then, the SU game, but it may have been earlier than that. That's the first time I remember but that was damn near ten years ago. Either way I think you & I both seem to agree JSU played it before SU. That's what I was pointing out to Prof K. He was using that song as an example to say JSU copies SU's songs.

But SUtrp96 I think you missed my point, even if that example was wrong, and it may be as far as us being the very first to play it, but you made the very point I was talking about. No one was copying anyone by playing it because it was a very popular song at the time and everyone probably started playing it around the same time, just like Doing Just Fine and Crazy in Love and other popular songs.:)

SU still plays it the best

:)

SUtrp96....you should hear Grambling's rendition of the SHOW. lol. Even the tuba part is the same during the break down part. lol. That's not in the original song.....so you know they stole it from Southern. I just doubt if two arrangers thought to add that...ya know. SMH>.....GRAMBLING IS SOOOO SLAW. LMAO.

SUtrp96....you should hear Grambling's rendition of the SHOW. lol. Even the tuba part is the same during the break down part. lol. That's not in the original song.....so you know they stole it from Southern. I just doubt if two arrangers thought to add that...ya know. SMH>.....GRAMBLING IS SOOOO SLAW. LMAO.

They did copy it....:lmao:

They director wrote it while watching SU play it at the SU/JSU...And that came from the HORSES mouth!!!!!:eek2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back