Gov. Barbour calls for merger of Alcorn and Valley into Jackson State University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all Governor is about a Dumb as James Bell!!!

If he's trying to cut cost, why is he proposing to merge the campuses and not close them all together? Not saying they should be closed, but if the Valley and Alcorn campuses are going to remain open, but under the JSU name, the state will still have to grant funding to keep them operational. Infrastructure dollars will still have to flow into these campuses whether their name is Valley, Alcorn, JSU or Winnie The Pooh..........

Re: Gov. Barbour: Merge Mississippi universities

Then the Republicans (especially Rush, O'reilly and Hannity) would REALLY have a field day, as well as racists and other groups of people, if Obama specifically set aside that amount of money only for HBCU's.
They'd instantly cry...."reverse racism".

I think RB knows this. He can't be that naive and gullible.

Couldn't have said it better myself. But yes, I do think he's that naive and gullible.

Haley Barbour: Obama's Plan to Cut Deficit Still Leaves Us With Largest Deficit in the Universe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRykJYnz4IE&feature=related

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour Talks About The Stimulus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fo8yhdOVHU

(CNN) -- Though they support some federal action to help their states recover from the recession, several Republican governors said Sunday they plan to turn down a portion of what's offered in the stimulus bill that President Obama signed last week.

"If we were to take the unemployment reform package that they have, it would cause us to raise taxes on employment when the money runs out -- and the money will run out in a couple of years," Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday. http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/22/stimulus.governors/index.html

Barbour, who was quoted over the weekend as saying he was not certain he would accept the stimulus money, repeated his concerns Monday about strings being attached and states having to pick up the tab when the programs expire in July 2010.

"It's not a possibility of strings being attached, it's a certainty ... and until we get a look at what finally passes and all of the implications, it is my belief that there may be some things that we'd be better off not to take," he said.

Barbour said the House-passed bill would extend unemployment benefits to people who work part-time.

"The law in our state is clear. Before you can get unemployment, you have to be ready, willing and able to work full-time," he said.

Mississippi employers, he said, would be left with a tax increase to pay for that change once the stimulus money expires, Barbour said. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/03/gov-shuns-stimulus-stuns-lawmaker/

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
To: All Media Outlets
From: Othor Cain, Advisor, Jackson State University Branch
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
Re: Students Protest proposed education cuts
They are demonstrating and protesting against proposed recommendations by Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour to merge Mississippi Valley State University and Alcorn State University with Jackson State University.
The theme is No Closure, No Merger but Adequate Funding. The protestors believe that in order for Mississippi to move forward and compete on a global level ALL students must be able to access to an education that meets their academic needs.
“Education is an economic equalizer,â€￾ said Othor Cain, Jackson State University NAACP advisor. “If the governor is serious about fiscal responsibility he should understand that students need a quality education in order to rise out of poverty.â€￾
“Malcolm X said that education is the passport to the future,â€￾ Lafeyounda Brooks, president, Jackson State University, NAACP member. “If that is true, then the governor does not want minorities or women in this state to go very far!â€￾
For more information contact, Othor Cain at 601-502-4951.
-30-

Barbour, who was quoted over the weekend as saying he was not certain he would accept the stimulus money, repeated his concerns Monday about strings being attached and states having to pick up the tab when the programs expire in July 2010.

"It's not a possibility of strings being attached, it's a certainty ... and until we get a look at what finally passes and all of the implications, it is my belief that there may be some things that we'd be better off not to take," he said.

Barbour said the House-passed bill would extend unemployment benefits to people who work part-time.

"The law in our state is clear. Before you can get unemployment, you have to be ready, willing and able to work full-time," he said.

Mississippi employers, he said, would be left with a tax increase to pay for that change once the stimulus money expires, Barbour said. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/03/gov-shuns-stimulus-stuns-lawmaker/

To keep our universities open and viable, I don't mind a reasonable tax increase. It's a drop in the bucket compared to them closing or wasting away.
Let him try and combine Ole Miss and Miss. State and see what the White folks will say. They'd be saying the same exact thing we're saying or even worse. Barbour won't dare touch that one.

To keep our universities open and viable, I don't mind a reasonable tax increase. It's a drop in the bucket compared to them closing or wasting away.
Let him try and combine Ole Miss and Miss. State and see what the White folks will say. They'd be saying the same exact thing we're saying or even worse. Barbour won't dare touch that one.

It's easy to say you don't mind a tax increase when you're not running the company that's forced to pay the taxes.

Ole Miss and State proudly do what the majority of HBCU alumns refuse to do. They financially support their beloved university.

It's easy to say you don't mind a tax increase when you're not running the company that's forced to pay the taxes.

Ole Miss and State proudly do what the majority of HBCU alumns refuse to do. They financially support their beloved university.
And what company do you own for crying out loud? You're speaking for them now?

Both Ole Miss and Miss. State get the bulk of our tax money to fund their schools too, so by the process of justification, they should be paying more in tax dollars.

Dude, you're so blind to this Republican/religion jargon that you don't even think logically.
This has nothing to do with mere taxes, it has to do with Barbour wanting to see these schools waste away, while Ole Miss and Miss State remain untouched. Why couldn't he offer to shut down some of their satellite schools? Why target two predominantly Black schools when the budgets of these schools aren't anywhere near that of Ole Miss, Miss. State or USM? Why not cutback on their budget and combine those schools, since they require the bulk of our tax dollars allotted towards education?

This state education-wise would be setback decades for Black people (and Whites) if this ever happens. You don't seem to care or understand the seriousness of this matter.

This is not about merging, it's about slowly eliminating these schools out of existence. Merging is merely a stepping stone towards elimination.

Last edited:
And they still get the bulk of our tax money to fund their schools too.

Dude, you're so blind to this Republican/religion jargon that you don't even think logically.
This has nothing to do with mere taxes, it has to do with Barbour wanting to see these schools waste away, while Ole Miss and Miss State remain untouched. Why couldn't he offer to shut down some of their satellite schools? Why target two predominantly Black schools when the budgets of these schools aren't anywhere near that of Ole Miss, Miss. State or USM? Why not cutback on their budget and combine those schools, since they require the bulk of our tax dollars allotted towards education?

This state education-wise would be setback decades for Black people (and Whites) if this ever happens. You don't seem to care or understand the seriousness of this matter.

This is not about merging, it's about slowly eliminating these schools out of existence. Merging is merely a stepping stone toward elimination.

No, you're blind to the tax burden on the American people. You should seriously do your research on taxes and the negative effect from it. If HBCUs need money, then they should do like Mason, get on their knees, and beg white folks.......that simple.

No, you're blind to the tax burden on the American people. You should seriously do your research on taxes and the negative effect from it. If HBCUs need money, then they should do like Mason, get on their knees, and beg white folks.......that simple.

Dude, you could care less about a tax burden. When President Bush's cabinet on 9-10-01 admitted that they'd lost track of 2.3 trillion dollars (which were stolen by defense companies), you said not a peep, but when ole Haley Barbour mentions saving a few million on the backs of poor folks, you're suddenly all excited for saving tax dollars. How hypocritical can one be? C'mon man, you can't be serious and you can't be this disengaged from reality.

Your own Republican party admitted to losing track of 2.3 trillion....yes TRILLION dollars, yet you on here harping about a few million?! Like I said, your logic is unbelievably illogical.

Here's the evidence.....
http://benfrank.net/patriots/news/national/pentagon_missing_trillions

Dude, you could care less about a tax burden. When President Bush's cabinet on 9-10-01 admitted that they'd lost track of 2.3 trillion dollars (which were stolen by defense companies), you said not a peep, but when ole Haley Barbour mentions saving a few million on the backs of poor folks, you're suddenly all excited for saving tax dollars. How hypocritical can one be? C'mon man, you can't be serious and you can't be this disengaged from reality.

Your own Republican party admitted to losing track of 2.3 trillion....yes TRILLION dollars, yet you on here harping about a few million?! Like I said, your logic is unbelievably illogical.

Here's the evidence.....
http://benfrank.net/patriots/news/national/pentagon_missing_trillions

Again, if black folks need money, then they should do as Mason, get on their knees, and beg white folks. Stop trying to place the burden on the taxpayers.

Last edited:
Again, if black folks need money, then they should do as Mason, get on their needs, and beg white folks. Stop trying to place the burden on the taxpayers.

I see you're still weaving and dodging the issue of the lost (stolen) 2.3 trillion dollars under the Republican regime. LOL!! Imagine how much the taxpayers could've benefitted from that much stolen money. Where's your enthusiastic outrage against them, plus you can bet they were mostly White folks who stole that money. Did they have to bow the knee to steal it?

Seems like you want to avoid and excuse the thievery of the rich, while having no problem whatsoever placing the blame on the poor. Not surprised though.

DAM MAN.......

I SURE DO HOPE NOT......

BLACK HISTORY......Lost, Stolen, Strayed, Covered Up and Merged/Combined......Why does it ALWAYS have to be OUR schools, OUR History, Our Founders, OUR EVERYTHING?????????

What was his reaction to Bush's waste-laden stimulus package?

Re: Well Mississippians...

RB, if your Republican Governor, Haley Barbour, wouldn't have rejected the stimulus money allocated for Mississippi, we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

You seem to be so caught up with what Democrats aren't doing, that you're ignoring what your own Republican governor isn't doing. How ironic.

Bobby Jindal and Louisiana .... part two.

Royal Blue, are you a graduate of Jackson State University?

I only ask this question because I could not ever, even as a Republican, support something that could possibly lead to the destruction of Southern University. Nor could I do that to Grambling State.

Like others have said, the ONLY way this could help Mississippi is if Alcorn and Valley were closed .... otherwise, electric bills still need to be paid, teacher salaries, physical plany upkeep.

About the ONLY savings in that situation would be lack of an athletics program.

Now, if Barbour were willing to do a consolidation of those schools, why won't he advise that for USM, Ole Miss, and Miss. State. Surely, they have programs that overlap.

Bring Obama into this is ridiculous. First, he can not set aside money JUST for HBCU's anyway. Imagine the thought of a black president doing that. That would almost ensure a Republican in office next time. Second, it would have to go through the states anyway, just like the stimulus plan. And just like Jindal and Barbour did, no one could be sure the HBCU's would even see that money.

However, it all goes back to separate but equal. We SETTLED for being TOGETHER and being able to sit by them instead of demanding that we get the same things THEY had and not worry about having to sit next to Mr. James' lily daughter.

But that is not the issue.

What was his reaction to Bush's waste-laden stimulus package?

Why can't you deal with who's in office now. Where is this hope Obama promised to america. Why are we still losing jobs by the millions? Why can't Obama give HBCUs $1 billion is stimulus? Bush is long gone, and he has no power to make a difference. Obama, however, has the power to help HBCUs, and he has not lifted one finger, nor has he given to HBCUs. What he did accomplish, was take $85 million away from HBCUs. Why would he do that, but give billions to ACORN, banks, AIG and etc?

Hello everyone! I hope this makes it to the board because this is a topic I hold near and dear to my heart. I am a proud graduate from an HBCU that, too, was seduced by "the Dark Side of the Force". I love UAPB with all my heart, and will love and support them until the day I die. Even though I was only a year old when it happened, I don't agree with the merger that happened between Arkansas AM&N and the UA (University of Arkansas) System.

My mother graduated from Arkansas AM&N in 1966, and still talks of how the school was vastly loved and well taken care of. From 1927 to 1972, AM&N received no outside interference from the State of Arkansas and thrived successfully, producing prominent citizens around the Nation and world. While that tradition of producing prominent citizens continues today, the school, now known to us a UAPB, has to depend upon funds given by the State. Keep in mind, this is an HBCU that shares the state with UA-Fayettville (SEC Razorbacks). As most states, funds are allocated to the five UA System schools (Fayettville, Monticello, Pine Bluff, Little Rock, and UAMS-school of medicine). You can all guess as to who receives more $$$$$$$$, and who gets the leftovers. If you can't, here are the schools, based on who gets the most: Fayettville, UAMS, Little Rock, Monticello, and Pine Bluff). UAPB has to often depend upon the generosity of its alumni, sometimes often exhausting those who donate constantly.

I am sure the governor of Mississippi will make a great effort to make this merger proposal seem appealing by using what (in his opinion, no doubt) appeals to us Black Americans: $$$$$. He'll probably say that JSU would get more money from the State of Mississippi. But we must realize that money is not everything. If this merger were to happen, so many people from Alcorn and MVSU would lose their job, and possibly some JSU folks, too. The state will ultimately have more control over JSU, who seems do be doing okay without a lot of state input. JSU would also be under the watchful eye of some kind of University System President (in the case of Arkansas, the UA System has B. Alan Sugg, in other words Chancellor Davis' boss).

We (and I say we because I am in this fight, too) must continue to educate ourselves by learning what we can to prevent this proposed merger. Mississipians, go out to the public meetings concerning this and find out what's going on. Write letters to your congressman, Senators, and heck to President Obama protesting this. Get the word out to your respective alumni chapters and get the word out to local high schools; shoot, get the word out to the other 100+ HBCUs in the country. Talk to some of the old Arkansas AM&N graduates to develop some kind of understanding as to how were as opposed to how they are now. I believe the state of Louisiana has their eye on Grambling. Talk to their President and get his input. Lastly, we must invest in what we believe in. Support your Mississippi HBCUs. Not only do I contribute to UAPB, but I am also a financial contributor to the United Negro College Fund. My 16 year old daughter plans to attend Southern University in 2011; I want to ensure our HBCUs will be there for her and her 14 year old sister (UAPB 2013)!

The race is not given to the swift, but to the one who endureth to the end. We must endure! I've said before and I'll say it until the day I die.....HBCUs FOREVER ROCK!!!!!!!!

Why can't you deal with who's in office now. Where is this hope Obama promised to america. Why are we still losing jobs by the millions? Why can't Obama give HBCUs $1 billion is stimulus? Bush is long gone, and he has no power to make a difference. Obama, however, has the power to help HBCUs, and he has not lifted one finger, nor has he given to HBCUs. What he did accomplish, was take $85 million away from HBCUs. Why would he do that, but give billions to ACORN, banks, AIG and etc?

Why couldn't you deal with all of Bush's screw ups while he was in office? You're a hypocrite.

It takes time to fix all these problems. Obama inherited one big mess. Do you think he can snap his finger and fix this stuff overnight? Progress takes time.

Last edited:
Why couldn't you deal with all of Bush's screw ups while he was in office? You're a hypocrite.

It takes time to fix all these problems. Obama inherited one big mess. Do you think he can snap his finger and fix this stuff overnight? Progress takes time.

Didn't you see him snap his fingers for the bankers, AIG, ACORN, and others? How can you seriously ask that question? Obama has the power to do exactly what Rod Paige did for Jackson State.

Why hasn't Obama given money to the HBCUs?

Didn't you see him snap his fingers for the bankers, AIG, ACORN, and others? How can you seriously ask that question? Obama has the power to do exactly what Rod Paige did for Jackson State.

Why hasn't Obama given money to the HBCUs?

You can't be serious. He hasn't been in office a whole year yet? Give him time. If he singled out money just for HBCUs, you know you and those nutcases on Fox News and other pundits and republicans will have a field day saying he's showing favoritism. What about that don't you understand? These are STATE schools, not federal schools. What happens to state schools are under that state's governor, not the president. Let me ask you this, out of all those commencement speeches that Bush gave while he was in office, how many of those were at HBCUs? Why weren't you asking these same questions 2 years ago, about why the president wasn't giving money to HBCUs, and don't give me that crap about only worrying about who's in office now. Your bias is unbelievable. I'm surprised you're not blaming Obama for bad weather outside.

Last edited:
Well said Lioness.......

Being an Alcorn alum I am opposed to any type of even a talk of merger in the state of MS. I remember very vividly when Gov. Barbour and other lawmakers fought to get control of roughly $600 million federal dollars from HUD in 2008 that had been set aside for the development of affordable housing on the coast that was greatly affected by Katrina. Although not to balance the state's budget nor to fund education in the state. Instead, the money is being used to expand the port of Gulfport which primarily benefits private industry and lastly the state's citizens. I am not saying that all $600 million should have gone to education but I am saying that some consideration should have been taken on our lawmakers' parts to set aside a certain amount of that money for our colleges and universities. What I am saying is not justifying alums from either of these universities not supporting the way they should financially. What I am saying is that cannot be used as a means to justify the extermination of HBCU's in the state of MS.

Well said Lioness.......

Being an Alcorn alum I am opposed to any type of even a talk of merger in the state of MS. I remember very vividly when Gov. Barbour and other lawmakers fought to get control of roughly $600 million federal dollars from HUD in 2008 that had been set aside for the development of affordable housing on the coast that was greatly affected by Katrina. Although not to balance the state's budget nor to fund education in the state. Instead, the money is being used to expand the port of Gulfport which primarily benefits private industry and lastly the state's citizens. I am not saying that all $600 million should have gone to education but I am saying that some consideration should have been taken on our lawmakers' parts to set aside a certain amount of that money for our colleges and universities. What I am saying is not justifying alums from either of these universities not supporting the way they should financially. What I am saying is that cannot be used as a means to justify the extermination of HBCU's in the state of MS.

Another crime committed by a GOP governor and the Bush Administration. That money was suppose to be spent on rebuilding the Gulf Coast of MS. There are still folks down there living in tents and trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back