Gov. Barbour calls for merger of Alcorn and Valley into Jackson State University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gov. Barbour: Merge Mississippi universities

good story. wapt went to the coaches luncheon today and did the rival story

JACKSON, Miss. -- Some Mississippi House members said Tuesday that Gov. Haley Barbour's more politically sensitive budget ideas might be dead on arrival -- including a proposal to merge eight universities into five.

Rep. Cecil Brown, a Democrat on the Legislative Budget Committee, said he doesn't think the state would save much money by merging Mississippi University for Women into Mississippi State or by combining the three historically black universities into one. Barbour also proposes merging Alcorn State and Mississippi Valley State into Jackson State.

http://www.wapt.com/money/21642671/detail.html

Royal Blue your bob and weave method is unbelievable.

Aint no bob and weave method here. Think about what I'm saying. Our federal government is handing out billions to organizations who don't deserve it, but they can't figure out how to get money to HBCUs. The point I'm making is that black folks are afraid to ask Obama to help the HBCUs. Why is it so hard to hold him accountable for our education? These clowns printing money like crazy and we aint made one step to get some of that $$$. We have a black president, and HBCUs are struggling. How backwards is that?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

IMO, Mason and Barbour cut a deal to make JSU the largest HBCU in the nation. Not only would this increase funding for JSU, but this will also add additional programs for students to select from. I would be lying if I stated I'm against such a move.

The only thing I'll miss is the rivalry.....
The name proposal is University of Jackson not Jackson State. The names would be The University of Jackson at Jackson, The University of Jackson at Itta Bena and The University of Jackson at Lorman.

Last edited:
Re: Well Mississippians...

Has anybody notice that the south is the only part of the country that has this issue?
The South is where most HBCU are located. The other states that have them usually have only 1 of them. That maybe what Barbour is looking into.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour wants Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University be merged into Jackson State University.

November 16, 2009 2:41:00 PM

The Associated Press

Printer friendly version of this article

JACKSON — Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said today the state should consider merging some of its universities to save money.

Barbour, in announcing his budget recommendations, said Mississippi University for Women should merge with nearby Mississippi State University and that Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University be merged into Jackson State University.

Barbour said none of the campuses would close but the proposed mergers would save money by reducing the number of administrative jobs.

The proposed change would leave Mississippi with five public universities rather than the current eight.

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=3774

ississippians, if you allow this to take place the fall of the HBCU's will be on your back. Now get up off of your asses and go fight your master on this foolish ideal.:kaioken:

You're just showing your arse off now.......... :argue2:

I'm just tired of black folks not asking our own to help out financially. We put our folks in office, and they help out white folks more than they help out their own. There aint no valid reason why HBCUs can't receive at least $1 billion of stimulus money, with a black president in office........no reason.:shame:

Got this info below from JSU Alumni emails. WE need to make our voices heard.

In case anyone wanted to let the Chairmen of the Mississippi House and Senate Universities & Colleges Committees know their thoughts on potential mergers their contacts are below. Let your voice be heard!!!

Senator Doug E. Davis – Republican
MS College Alum
Chair, Senate Universities and Colleges Committee

Contact Information:
Capitol:
P. O. Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215
(601)359-2220

Email: ddavis@senate.ms.gov

Home:
P.O. Box 235
Hernando, MS 38632
(662)449-5617 (H)
(662)449-4115 (W)

Kevin Buck – Democrat
Chair, House Universities & College Committee
Rust College Alum

Contact Information:
Capitol:
P. O. Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215
Email: kbuck@house.ms.gov
(662)252-2899 (H)
(901)323-2430 (W)

Representative Buck is affiliated with the NAACP and the Boys Scouts of America. He is a former City Alderman of Holly Springs.

Representative Buck was born July 23, 1961 in Tupelo Mississippi. He is of the United Methodist faith.

This will be DOA when/if it gets to the legislature....

It's discussed every year......

(Hank Bounds said this has been mentioned every year for a long time, but there is never enough support to even bring it up in public)

Gov. Barbour has throws it out there and then lets State Democratic Senator

Flaggs (a black guy) lead the effort to try to get support for this......

Barbour must have promised Flaggs a job in his Lobbying firm after this,

because he definitely won't get re-elected. Plus, Barbour can't run for

Governor anymore (this is his second term), so he had nothing to loose by

stirring the pot.

I'm just tired of black folks not asking our own to help out financially. We put our folks in office, and they help out white folks more than they help out their own. There aint no valid reason why HBCUs can't receive at least $1 billion of stimulus money, with a black president in office........no reason.:shame:

So are you saying that the race of the president should correlate into how much money black schools should get? Why couldn't HBCUs get that same $1 billion when Bush was in office?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

RB, if your Republican Governor, Haley Barbour, wouldn't have rejected the stimulus money allocated for Mississippi, we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

You seem to be so caught up with what Democrats aren't doing, that you're ignoring what your own Republican governor isn't doing. How ironic.

RB, if your Republican Governor, Haley Barbour, wouldn't have rejected the stimulus money allocated for Mississippi, we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

You seem to be so caught up with what Democrats aren't doing, that you're ignoring what your own Republican governor isn't doing. How ironic.

Dang, we just said the same thing. :lol:

Aint no bob and weave method here. Think about what I'm saying. Our federal government is handing out billions to organizations who don't deserve it, but they can't figure out how to get money to HBCUs. The point I'm making is that black folks are afraid to ask Obama to help the HBCUs. Why is it so hard to hold him accountable for our education? These clowns printing money like crazy and we aint made one step to get some of that $$$. We have a black president, and HBCUs are struggling. How backwards is that?

Most universities are struggling. And it is insane to suggest that the President can just drop a billion each on HBCUs. INSANE.

Most universities are struggling. And it is insane to suggest that the President can just drop a billion each on HBCUs. INSANE.

Then the Republicans (especially Rush, O'reilly and Hannity) would REALLY have a field day, as well as racists and other groups of people, if Obama specifically set aside that amount of money only for HBCU's.
They'd instantly cry...."reverse racism".

I think RB knows this. He can't be that naive and gullible.

So are you saying that the race of the president should correlate into how much money black schools should get? Why couldn't HBCUs get that same $1 billion when Bush was in office?

Because white folks aren't as pasionate about our schools.

Why can't $1 billion be set asside for all HBCUs to share?

I never said $1 billion each. I stated $1 billion should have been set aside forall HBCUs to share. I never said $1 billion each. These clowns are printing money like crazy, why can't HBCUs get a piece of the pie?

All I know is that the Governor of Mississippi is stupid...
And anyone that supports him is stupid....

I'm glad I moved away, but I will do everything in my power to help secure the future of my alma mater!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back