Gov. Barbour calls for merger of Alcorn and Valley into Jackson State University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Well Mississippians...

Has anybody notice that the south is the only part of the country that has this issue?

I blame it on mindless repulicans, A.K.A. this past gov't under the Bush administration, for all the problems. You see when things seem to be fine the republicans are always trying to spend "BIG" and the problems is not the fact that business was going bad but it is the fact that when that "supply and demand" dwindles it leaves a large surplus and they have to do a lot cutting back which cause the economy to fall sharply and in this case the Bush administration has created a large surplus and the demands are so low that the economy almost shut down.

Now that Obama has created certain stimulus plans to some of our business so we want be at a total loss and then the republicans come "calling" about over spending and keep in mind the country should have been thinking of saving like the War in Iraq that cost this country miserably in terms of financially but the republicans never said a word. And, couple that with things like Madoff and Standford that rips the economy where key players or businesses in the stability of the wealth of the country no longer have their place. Also take a look at California whose economy is just as bad as the U.S. itself was having to send out I.O.U's to other networks because their spending is shot to 'you know what.' It is almost amazing how a wealthy (so we thought) California is which shows the the republican agenda which is to make as much money as possible and at the same time 'spend to make our pockets richer :retard:' which will drain the heck out of country how greedy they are, IMBO (IN MY BEST OPINION)!

Last edited:

They can't really do squat.
One of the opinion writers did a story on this a couple weeks ago.
If anything, JUCO's will be merged like Hinds and Utica JUCO's did years ago to save money before ony one of the 8 public universities are merged.

All of them down at the capitol know that nobody has the support to pull off the merger of any of the universities in Mississippi anyway.
These mofo's don't even have the support to merge highschool, school districts and you know we got way to many of those.

:confused::confused:
I blame it on mindless repulicans, A.K.A. this past gov't under the Bush administration, for all the problems. You see when things seem to be fine the republicans are always trying to spend "BIG" and the problems is not the fact that business was going bad but it is the fact that when that "supply and demand" dwindles it leaves a large surplus and they have to do a lot cutting back which cause the economy to fall sharply and in this case the Bush administration has created a large surplus and the demands are so low that the economy almost shut down.

Now that Obama has created certain stimulus plans to some of our business so we want be at a total loss and then the republicans come "calling" about over spending and keep in mind the country should have been thinking of saving like the War in Iraq that cost this country miserably in terms of financially but the republicans never said a word. And, couple that with things like Madoff and Standford that rips the economy where key players or businesses in the stability of the wealth of the country no longer have their place. Also take a look at California whose economy is just as bad as the U.S. itself was having to send out I.O.U's to other networks because their spending is shot to 'you know what.' It is almost amazing how a wealthy (so we thought) California is which shows the the republican agenda which is to make as much money as possible and at the same time 'spend to make our pockets richer :retard:' which will drain the heck out of country how greedy they are, IMBO (IN MY BEST OPINION)!

:confused::confused::confused: What the heck are you talking about?

Gov. Barbour: Merge Mississippi universities

Will this be a good thing for the SWAC community?

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says the state should consider merging some of its universities to save money.

Barbour, in announcing his budget recommendations Monday, said Mississippi University for Women should merge with nearby Mississippi State University and that Alcorn State and Mississippi Valley State be merged into Jackson State.

Barbour said none of the campuses would close.

The Democratic chairman of the House Universities and Colleges Committee, Rep. Kelvin Buck, opposes the Republican governor's proposal. Buck says Mississippi would hurt its own economic future by limiting higher education.

Barbour's consolidation proposal is part of his suggested budget for the fiscal year that begins next July 1.

Gov. Barbour: Merge Mississippi universities

He wants to merge Alcorn and MVSU with JSU and MUW with MSU. First of all, this plan is DOA. Second, even if you're for merger, it makes no sense to merge Alcorn and Valley into JSU. Different schools, different programs. Third, if you want to save money, start with the over abundance of community colleges. There's a CC within an hour radius of every citizen in MS. That's too many.
Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says the state should consider merging some of its universities to save money.
Barbour, in announcing his budget recommendations Monday, said Mississippi University for Women should merge with nearby Mississippi State University and that Alcorn State and Mississippi Valley State be merged into Jackson State.
Barbour said none of the campuses would close
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091116/NEWS/91116018/Barbour++Merge+Miss.+universities

Last edited:
Re: Gov. Barbour: Merge Mississippi universities

He wants to merge Alcorn and MVSU with JSU and MUW with MSU. First of all, this plan is DOA. Second, even if you're for merger, it makes no sense to merge Alcorn and Valley into JSU. Different schools, different programs. Third, if you want to save money, start with the over abundance of community colleges. There's a CC within an hour radius of every citizen in MS. That's too many.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091116/NEWS/91116018/Barbour++Merge+Miss.+universities

These folks are going to do their best to either close down or merge the HBCUs. Like you said, close some of those damn JUCOs.

These lawmakers will not cease until some type of merger happens. I don't see how it will save money, but it's definitely an agenda item...

I'm headed to an alumni meeting tonight, so I know it will be a topic of discussion.

There are a lot of wasteful things in Mississippi, but Higher Education isn't one of them. The state has an abundance of community colleges and school districts that are not spending efficiently.

:retard:....

Since his proposal will not close any of the campuses would it be
Jackson State University at Itta Bena? Or Jackson State University at Lorman?

JSU/99 I said the same thing..Mississippi has too many jucos!!! They should merge just like some did here in GA!!! That racist pig won't do that because those juco's are breeding grounds for Ole Miss and Miss. State...This aint gonna happen!! :upset::upset::upset:

Personally I feel that it is too costly for the universities to merge. Think about, Alcorn merging with JSU and no CCC :retard: and the rivalry between them and MVSU and also other phenomenas that apply to each institution.

:retard:....

Since his proposal will not close any of the campuses would it be
Jackson State University at Itta Bena? Or Jackson State University at Lorman?

I would assume so kind of like the university of phoenix online, it is the same school but in different locations.

Personally I feel that it is too costly for the universities to merge. Think about, Alcorn merging with JSU and no CCC :retard: and the rivalry between them and MVSU and also other phenomenas that apply to each institution.

Traditions would be lost but I don't think it would cost us any money. I am sure that Alcorn and Valley don't make any money on athletics and JSU is losing money too.

I just don't see the cost savings in university merger. I do see it in University closure. As long as you STILL paying the same utility bills, security, professors, ect... I can't see any cost savings.

IF and this is an IF.. this merger were to happen, the lights at Valley and Alcorn would need to be turned off ...Not saying I support merger/closer, I am just trying to see where the cost savings are. If they are talking about chipping $2M off the $300M deficit, I don't see the real point here.

I would assume so kind of like the university of phoenix online, it is the same school but in different locations.

I would be similar to the SU system... but not ran by a separate board. This plan is going to be an EPIC FAIL!

Im sure we have to do something but university merger is going to be a last resort.

When Hinds and Utica merged, did both campuses remain open?

MASON RESPONSE:

Our universities work independently and collectively to ensure that
Mississippi’s students receive the best education possible. The
governor’s proposed budget cuts will change the face of higher
education in Mississippi for decades. While the full meaning of the
proposal concerning the Historically Black Universities is unclear,
what is clear is that Mississippi needs historically black colleges
because they are dedicated to serving the needs of the State’s most
underserved. Mississippi needs all of its eight public universities to
be strong in order to build a better future for Mississippi.

Traditions would be lost but I don't think it would cost us any money. I am sure that Alcorn and Valley don't make any money on athletics and JSU is losing money too.

I just don't see the cost savings in university merger. I do see it in University closure. As long as you STILL paying the same utility bills, security, professors, ect... I can't see any cost savings.

IF and this is an IF.. this merger were to happen, the lights at Valley and Alcorn would need to be turned off ...Not saying I support merger/closer, I am just trying to see where the cost savings are. If they are talking about chipping $2M off the $300M deficit, I don't see the real point here.

I see.

this is a statement from the national alumni. NOT THE SCHOOL!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

RESPONSE TO UNIVERSITY MERGERS

November 16, 2009

Greetings Fellow Alcornites:

As by now, many of you are aware that Governor Haley Barbour expressed his desire to merge Alcorn State and MS Valley with Jackson State today during his press conference on the State's budget.

The National Alumni Association is working diligently with the University to respond to this issue and will respond at the appropriate time.

On Saturday, we ask that you wear your purple and gold to show your support for our beloved alma mater.

As always we thank you for your support and patience.

James McDonald

National President

Alcorn State University National Alumni Association

http://www.asunationalalumni.com/

some folks really think this is a good idea.....

WAPT just reported that the merger plan includes eliminating athletics at ASU and Valley.

some folks really think this is a good idea.....

IMO, Mason and Barbour cut a deal to make JSU the largest HBCU in the nation. Not only would this increase funding for JSU, but this will also add additional programs for students to select from. I would be lying if I stated I'm against such a move.

The only thing I'll miss is the rivalry.....

IMO, Mason and Barbour cut a deal to make JSU the largest HBCU in the nation. Not only would this increase funding for JSU, but this will also add additional programs for students to select from. I would be lying if I stated I'm against such a move.

The only thing I'll miss is the rivalry.....

RB,
I saw this proposal coming along time ago. Once he got a black voice to agree (Democratic Rep from Vicksburg), it was moving forward..

WAPT just reported that the merger plan includes eliminating athletics at ASU and Valley.

Which means JSU's athletic budget would increase by $5-8 million........IMO. This would also give JSU the funds it needs to move up to FBS, and possibly join the Sun Belt.

RB,
I saw this proposal coming along time ago. Once he got a black voice to agree (Democratic Rep from Vicksburg), it was moving forward..

..Heck say his name..A black democratic named GEORGE FLAGGS who is a JSU alum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back