Former JSU Band Director Retires from VSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be young. LOL. Prof Davis was JSU's legendary band director before Haughton took over. He was a true bandsman/musician. He would pen his arrangements SIVAD meaning his last name in reverse.

:nod:

And could write the HEYAL out of some music! It had that Big Band Era sound to it! :tup:

Ya'll know the song the Boom play now...."Working Day and Night"...who do you think wrote it...;)

Prof was sick the year I came to the Boom and died not to long afterward......:( I never got the chance to meet him...:bawling:

You must be young. LOL. Prof Davis was JSU's legendary band director before Haughton took over. He was a true bandsman/musician. He would pen his arrangements SIVAD meaning his last name in reverse.

Thank you for the explanation. It saves me a few keystrokes.

Prof. Davis was the one person I feared back then. His persona just commanded respect. You knew better than to cross him.

Funny anecdote about SIVAD. He arranged "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer for us one year ... maybe 1979. Most times, he let the band directors do the first run-through. For some reason, he greeted us at the evening rehearsal.

At the section where Donna "raps" (this was before rap was popular), Prof told us to say "Toot-Toot, band, repeat; Toot-toot, band, repeat). Um, Pops, it's supposed to Toot-toot, hey, beep beep!

We all looked at each other, and went along with what he wanted. I was cracking up on the inside, but you best believe I didn't say anything out loud. I think HJH gave him the correct lyrics. <still ctfu>

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

And could write the HEYAL out of some music! It had that Big Band Era sound to it! :tup:

Ya'll know the song the Boom play now...."Working Day and Night"...who do you think wrote it...;)

Prof was sick the year I came to the Boom and died not to long afterward......:( I never got the chance to meet him...:bawling:

Going to his funeral was one of the saddest days. We just didn't believe he was that sick, and never dreamed he would make his transition. :smh:

His arrangements were tough as hell. Anything by EWF ... wooooosaaaaaaaaa!

Going to his funeral was one of the saddest days. We just didn't believe he was that sick, and never dreamed he would make his transition. :smh:

His arrangements were tough as hell. Anything by EWF ... wooooosaaaaaaaaa!

All I can say is "Let's Talk"....:eek: :jump:
Soror, you were in the Boom when my brother was there...77-80.
Snare drummer/ Glenn.....:)
I was there 81-84.....:)

Are you a TBS?

Doc Greggs would always say Prof Davis was a helluva of arranger. He actually thought Prof marches were his forte. I know Doc respected him big time. Which is saying something, because the black man don't give out them type of compliments to anybody. I know he would always say he told Haughton he needed to come back to the SWAC. LOL. Told him he should have applied for the Gram job when Hutch was got sick and later died.

All I can say is "Let's Talk"....:eek: :jump:
Soror, you were in the Boom when my brother was there...77-80.
Snare drummer/ Glenn.....:)
I was there 81-84.....:)

Are you a TBS?

Now you know I gotta find my old yearbooks to look up names. :( The drummers were all the way in the back of the room and I was down front between the flutes and the trombones.

And, YES! I was on the second line of TBS, ZI chapter, #1 of the Seven Songs of Sonic Sound, Spring 1979. :D

Now you know I gotta find my old yearbooks to look up names. :( The drummers were all the way in the back of the room and I was down front between the flutes and the trombones.

And, YES! I was on the second line of TBS, ZI chapter, #1 of the Seven Songs of Sonic Sound, Spring 1979. :D

:wavey: Soror and Soror!

I was on the Spring 1983, Six Musically Inclined with TBS in Mind....#6....:)

I'll PM you my brother's name. I'm sure you know him......:uhoh: :lol:

Doc Greggs would always say Prof Davis was a helluva of arranger. He actually thought Prof marches were his forte. I know Doc respected him big time. Which is saying something, because the black man don't give out them type of compliments to anybody. I know he would always say he told Haughton he needed to come back to the SWAC. LOL. Told him he should have applied for the Gram job when Hutch was got sick and later died.

Yeah, I kinda wished Haughton had stayed in the SWAC, preferably at JSU, but we know how that went.

But you could definitely still see his influence at VSU...:tup:

Welcome, Soror! :wavey:

I'm Fall 96, ZI!

Hi Soror! :wavey:

I have no clue as to what's happening on the Yard these days. I went on campus in November and didn't recognize a thing. :smh: Everything has changed, except the music and administration buildings.

You can guess where I spent most of my time. :swink:

Hi Soror! :wavey:

I have no clue as to what's happening on the Yard these days. I went on campus in November and didn't recognize a thing. :smh: Everything has changed, except the music and administration buildings.

You can guess where I spent most of my time. :swink:

Don't feel bad....last year was the first time I had been back since I left the yard, and I live in Jackson.....:lol:

But you could definitely still see his influence at VSU...:tup:

Especially his last two years at VSU..... he actually had VSU do a 'marching' version of the Tiger Run On their last game of the 01 season.....

The mans' a genius. Good peoples too. I haven't seen him in a few years, but I haven't been at a good HBCU game in a minute....

Especially his last two years at VSU..... he actually had VSU do a 'marching' version of the Tiger Run On their last game of the 01 season.....

The mans' a genius. Good peoples too. I haven't seen him in a few years, but I haven't been at a good HBCU game in a minute....

I went to the Honda BOTB in 2006 in ATL. VSU was on the field preparing to drill when the announcer came on and did like a 8/10 minutes thing where he got the crowd hyped. VSU never budged/moved around the whole time that was going on. They stood at attention until it was time to perform. It was awesome to see that discipline! :tup:

Then the same thing happened when JSU came to the field. I was truly disappointed at how they moved around, looked around, got out of line, etc....:shame: *sigh*

That's what I mean when I say leadership has to start at the top...:tup:

I went to the Honda BOTB in 2006 in ATL. VSU was on the field preparing to drill when the announcer came on and did like a 8/10 minutes thing where he got the crowd hyped. VSU never budged/moved around the whole time that was going on. They stood at attention until it was time to perform. It was awesome to see that discipline! :tup:

Then the same thing happen when the JSU came to the field. I was truly disappointed at how they moved around, looked around, got out of line, etc....:shame: *sigh*

That's what I mean when I say leadership has to start at the top...:tup:

That's interesting, and disturbing. I don't remember us behaving that way at all. Shoot, the directors didn't have to say a thing. The drum majors were enough to keep us in line.

I remember once when Hawk made me do push ups at the door for being two minutes late for rehearsal. He didn't even want to make me, but rules are rules.

Wow. I got to get back to campus one day.

That's interesting, and disturbing. I don't remember us behaving that way at all. Shoot, the directors didn't have to say a thing. The drum majors were enough to keep us in line.

I remember once when Hawk made me do push ups at the door for being two minutes late for rehearsal. He didn't even want to make me, but rules are rules.

They sure did! The DM's were no joke....:uhoh:

I had to do some Sonic Boom pushups myself for being just a tad bit late...:lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Do you remember a trumpet player during that time from Liberty, Ms. name Ellis Ray Addison. I believe he played from 78 and 79 or so.. I know it was 2 of the three years 77, 78, 79

Do you remember a trumpet player during that time from Liberty, Ms. name Ellis Ray Addison. I believe he played from 78 and 79 or so.. I know it was 2 of the three years 77, 78, 79

:blush:

I'm thinking about this one. Is he short, light brown color? I would mention afro, but just about every guy wore one back then. :eek:

I'm just glad I left before the mess came to a head. My years in the Boom, 1978-1981, were phenomenal. No one could touch us, and we didn't let anyone touch Harold J. :angry:

Prof Davis was the exception because NO ONE would cross that skinny red man. :scared:

Hello CocoaLove! I played in the Boom, 1976-1979!

All Sonic Boomers that stay around Jacksons PM me here or email me. There is a picnic this Saturday for all Old School, Alumni, Current and Former Members and KKY-TBS as well................

All Sonic Boomers that stay around Jacksons PM me here or email me. There is a picnic this Saturday for all Old School, Alumni, Current and Former Members and KKY-TBS as well................

Yall twerps would schedule a picnic the weekend BEFORE I come home......

Bastids..... :winkgrin:

Luv da Boom betch.....

:tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back