Former JSU Band Director Retires from VSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrknowitall91

This Monday legendary band director Harold J. Haughton Sr. annoucnced he will be retiring at the end of this semester.

Harold J. Haughton is a Jackson State Universtiy Graduate, where he started his legendary journey in the HBCU music world. He came to Viginia State University in 1984 with his assistant arranger James Holden from Jackson State. When they came to VSU, they knew of the reputation and outstanding band of the VSU "Marching 110". However, things weren't so wonderful when they arrived. With the change of directors, only seventeen students showed up for the first day of practice when he joined Virginia State University as band director.
The famed "Marching 110," built during the leadership of Dr. F. Nathaniel Gatling and expanded during the tutuledge of O'Neal Sanford, that he had heard so much about had dwindled. But Haughton didn't let the lack of members rattle him, even though he had just come from directing a outstanding 180-member marching band at Jackson State University. Armed with commitments from the administration, faculty and staff, Haughton channeled his resources and student leaders such as Kurt D. Hampton to help swell the bands membership to 48 during his first year at the helm. It was hard because they were constantly reminded of the past bands status.

Yet, Haughton's first group "had a lot of heart," he said, which was a major reason he decided to hang in there, rather than throw up his hands and walk away. Eighteen years later, the "Marching Trojan Explosion" is stepping strong and has more than trippled in size. He doesn't believe in medicrocity. "We accept too much of that, which I don't believe is necessary. I believe students will rise to whatever standard or level you expect of them. I want students to leave VSU knowing they have played top-level, challenging music and played it well. Then they can hold their heads up and talk to anybody else in the country about what they played and how they played it."

"I just believe we can be just as good as we want to be if we are willing to pay the dues," Haughton said. "My moment of truth comes when I see what happens to a student who some people have written off, and they find that they have talent and can be real good at something. Then all of a sudden their whole attitude changes toward people and toward life, because they are productive. And people who are productive don't create problems, they help improve situations. That's what I love to see happen."

The band's sound is one of its greatest assets and that quality is attracting students who just want to play in the band, even without having a scholarship, he added.

Assistant band director James Holden, who worked with Haughton at Jackson State and came with him at the same time to Virginia State, said whatever level of support is offered to the band, Haughton does whatever it takes to accomplish his goal, often working miracles to keep the group intact.

The band's drills and arrangements have influenced other bands in the CIAA, he said. "People talk about B.B. King as the King of the blues-I would call Harold the King of marching bands," Holden added, pointing to Haughton's respected reputation among major colleges and universities across the country.
Mr. Haughton has done it all at VSU, from chairman of VSU's Department of Music, to balancing the department chairmanship and band director duties, in addition to teaching courses in instrumental methods, conducting methods, applied music and music theory. He also directs the approximately 40-member Pep Band which performs during basketball games and the roughly 50-member Concert Band which plays during University convocations and other special events. The Trojan Explosion has earned invitations to a variety of showcase performances-giving opening and halftime performances for the University of Virginia home games, appearances in the Whitney M. Young Classic at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands and the classic bowl in Savannah, Georgia, as well as the annual African American Parade, the Celebration in Hartford, Connecticut.

The style and reputation of the current band is a testiment to Mr. Haughton and his upbringing. His students and alumni have always respected him and have tried to represent him and the Trojan family to the highest of levels.
He will be greatly missed but we know that he will not be to far from the band that he helped to build.
Maybe we will see him and Dr. Hodge chilling at a game sipping on a brew talking about the bands of today that they both helped to influence.

Harold J. Haughton, Sr. a HBCU marching band legend.
Thanks for 43 Years of Musical Excellence

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Mrknowitall91
This Monday legendary band director Harold J. Haughton Sr. annoucnced he will be retiring at the end of this semester.

Yet, Haughton's first group "had a lot of heart," he said, which was a major reason he decided to hang in there, rather than throw up his hands and walk away. Eighteen years later, the "Marching Trojan Explosion" is stepping strong and has more than trippled in size. He doesn't believe in medicrocity. "We accept too much of that, which I don't believe is necessary. I believe students will rise to whatever standard or level you expect of them. I want students to leave VSU knowing they have played top-level, challenging music and played it well. Then they can hold their heads up and talk to anybody else in the country about what they played and how they played it."

"I just believe we can be just as good as we want to be if we are willing to pay the dues," Haughton said. "My moment of truth comes when I see what happens to a student who some people have written off, and they find that they have talent and can be real good at something. Then all of a sudden their whole attitude changes toward people and toward life, because they are productive. And people who are productive don't create problems, they help improve situations. That's what I love to see happen."

... "People talk about B.B. King as the King of the blues-I would call Harold the King of marching bands," Holden added, pointing to Haughton's respected reputation among major colleges and universities across the country.

And that is why I love the man, and what made The Boom great during his tenure in Jackson.

A true gentleman who was given the utmost respect from his students. The Boom was a force to be reckoned with when it came to precision drilling and marching techniques. Mr. Haughton was and still is an inspiration to those that marched under his direction. :bowdown:

Sonic Boom 81'

LOL. I thought he was still director of bands there.

Also, uuuum why did he leave JSU for a non-existent program?

LOL. I thought he was still director of bands there.

Also, uuuum why did he leave JSU for a non-existent program?

You don't even want to know.........let's just say him and his frat brother didn't see eye to eye anymore. Ask SLT, Bengal E or Staggalee how this put a damper on Fall 83 which was Haughton's final season.

I wish Taylor would have left for somewhere else too. He was a good band director and was still young at the time. Hell he is still young enough to take over somewhere. Politics/control/money made him step down too.

You don't even want to know.........let's just say him and his frat brother didn't see eye to eye anymore. Ask SLT, Bengal E or Staggalee how this put a damper on Fall 83 which was Haughton's final season.

I wish Taylor would have left for somewhere else too. He IS STILL a EXCELLENT band director. Hell he is still young enough to take over somewhere. Politics/control/money made him step down too.

:lmao:........Dowell Taylor had me rolling the other day when he said that after over 15 years people still want HIS RETURN or talking about his impact. He has read these and several other posts that have made it here and other sites.

Dr. Haughton is a great person. I have met me several times over the past few years. I last spoke with him at the 2007 Honda Battle of the Bands.

Haughton, Peoples & JabberJaw.....:smh: @ that season.

Peoples ran Haughton off? I sorta remember the deal with Taylor. I came to JSU a year after he was uuuum, well no longer band director.

...and yes, people do want Taylor back...NOW

However, the way things go in Jackson, he probably would have worn out his welcome by now too.

I wish Taylor would have left for somewhere else too. He was a good band director and was still young at the time. Hell he is still young enough to take over somewhere. Politics/control/money made him step down too.

I was in the Boom from 1979-1983, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

People ran Haughton off. I sorta remember the deal with Taylor. I came to JSU a year after he was uuuum, well no longer band director.

However, the way things go in Jackson, he probably would have worn out his welcome by now too.

People ran Haughton off? Do you mean President Peoples or do you mean a certain person help run Haughton off. Because the latter is the case. Same with Taylor but with a different twist to it. I need call ole Dowell up. LOL.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was in the Boom from 1979-1983, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

I am sure you got to see it first hand. You were in some great versions of the Boom back then. I don't think anybody on the outside would have even imagine Haughton wouldn't have been there until he retired. I know we were shocked our Sr year at Callaway to see all that unfolded in Fall 83-Spr 84.

My Grandmother attended Pearl St AME along with Jimmie James, before she died in 1994; she said "Jimmie James was messy and that Jimmie James was the reason Haughton and Taylor resigned as Band Director".

I am sure you got to see it first hand. You were in some great versions of the Boom back then. I don't think anybody on the outside would have even imagine Haughton wouldn't have been there until he retired. I know we were shocked our Sr year at Callaway to see all that in unfold in Fall 83-Spr 84.

Man that next year when Haughton was gone, Taylor didn't come in until band camp was dang near over.

It was KKPSI, TBSigma, and PAPPA DUP running the show.
Let's just say FALL 84 was not the year to be a crab in the BOOM.:scared:

Over 100 freshmen came to band camp that year.:nod:
Problem was there was a huge number of upperclassmen comming back.:winkgrin:

Bout 30 of those freshmen survived band camp that year. :goof:

My Grandmother attended Pearl St AME along with Jimmie James, before she died in 1994; she said "Jimmie James was messy and that Jimmie James was the reason Haughton and Taylor resigned as Band Director".

:read:

:read:

Man that next year when Haughton was gone, Taylor didn't come in until band camp was dang near over.

It was KKPSI, TBSigma, and PAPPA DUP running the show.
Let's just say FALL 84 was not the year to be a crab in the BOOM.:scared:

Over 100 freshmen came to band camp that year.:nod:
Problem was there was a huge number of upperclassmen comming back.:winkgrin:

Bout 30 of those freshmen survived band camp that year. :goof:

Wasn't Haughton absent in band camp of 83 as well. I remember the Boom barely doing a show for the first game against Bama State that Fall. Seemed like folks were wondering where Haughton was that summer leading into the Fall. I thought he showed up a week before the 1st game or something like that.

I remember Ron and I working out that late summer in 84 before any band camp started. I can't remember when JSU's started but I had to leave for SU's for August 4th of 84. I am sure it was unruly with Taylor being new coming in. Especially with yall Spr 83 and Spr 84 Eta Eta bruhs ready to deal with the Crabs........err......I mean Freshmen.

Peoples ran Haughton off? I sorta remember the deal with Taylor. I came to JSU a year after he was uuuum, well no longer band director.

How do you figure that??????????????????????

The man..writes music, charts field shows, helps on the dance routines and caters to the fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And KKY WOULD BE BACK ON the yard by now!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt that very seriously! Taylor is still well liked by JSU Alumni, the man has natural born talent, that's something a PhD in music can't give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back