Dowell Taylor takes helm for 3rd time as leader of JSU’s band program!

Yea that dam Redbone is super trash. Garbage juice. Flat out shitty.

Bro, southern folks all crankfest, media hype,an occasional good field show that will be repeated throughout season heading into the bayou classic, and a stand band and slowly falling off there too. Let them fall in their own classless ghetto misery over there. They know them arangements they got aren't up to "Southern of old standards" since "they don't compete with nobody in the swac cause there is no competition" lol

There is nothing immature about Haymer . In fact, he has been a band director for 17 years. Unlike Little, he rose to the occasion to get the job done. Meanwhile, y'all struggling over there broke.

If you knew anything about JSU politics you wouldn't sound so dumb and illinformed lol. Just stick to your sorry ass school and let us worry about the Boom and JSU.

Bro, southern folks all crankfest, media hype,an occasional good field show that will be repeated throughout season heading into the bayou classic, and a stand band and slowly falling off there too. Let them fall in their own classless ghetto misery over there. They know them arangements they got aren't up to "Southern of old standards" since "they don't compete with nobody in the swac cause there is no competition" lol

Most of the time they just sit and talk just because. They know they arrangements and shit is trash this year and their band ain't doing shit, yet they all on JSU d*ck (per usual). They just trying to take the attention off them bland ass arrangements but don't realize it ain't working and they still sound like fighting flamingos. Smh, po su.

A jag trying to tell JSUers about our school. If he only knew how funny that shit is to us. Folks don't know a dam thing. Not a nothing. Lol

There is nothing immature about Haymer . In fact, he has been a band director for 17 years. Unlike Little, he rose to the occasion to get the job done. Meanwhile, y'all struggling over there broke.
It was immature of him to scream back at JSU fans when they were laughing at the Jukes marching out of Memorial. Let me find that video. LOL!!

Taylor was also Director of Bands from 1984 to 1992.

He wasn't Dir of Bands from 84-92. One of the reasons he stepped down after the 90-91 season was because he wanted to create that title of Dir of Bands with Dr. James approval. He was simply the Marching Band Director and a Music Professor. I believe Dowell taught Music Technology. I remember him always asking me how Doc pulled off that Dir of Bands title and was separate from the SU Music Dept.

It was immature of him to scream back at JSU fans when they were laughing at the Jukes marching out of Memorial. Let me find that video. LOL!!

Was it immature for Doc to order blowing on the Boom as they marched in 97? BTW, Haymer was an assistant at the time you keep talking about. Hell your football coaches have screamed at people after games. Were they immature? Comegy and Hughes? Was Bob Hill immature for slapping Casem at midfield after a game? Was Big John Merritt immature for wearing home blue uniforms to Memorial in the 80s when he knew JSU would be in their home blue? Just asking for a friend.

Last edited:

That was 7 years ago. Doc cused whoever out. It just wasn't on camera. I heard Lidell cuss band members out. Is he immature?

A jag trying to tell JSUers about our school. If he only knew how funny that shit is to us. Folks don't know a dam thing. Not a nothing. Lol

I know a lot about the Boom as I have several friends and family marched in the Boom. I probably know more than you.

Most of the time they just sit and talk just because. They know they arrangements and shit is trash this year and their band ain't doing shit, yet they all on JSU d*ck (per usual). They just trying to take the attention off them bland ass arrangements but don't realize it ain't working and they still sound like fighting flamingos. Smh, po su.

Sit down. JSU band isn't doing crap.

He wasn't Dir of Bands from 84-92. One of the reasons he stepped down after the 90-91 season was because he wanted to create that title of Dir of Bands with Dr. James approval. He was simply the Marching Band Director and a Music Professor. I believe Dowell taught Music Technology. I remember him always asking me how Doc pulled off that Dir of Bands title and was separate from the SU Music Dept.

Really? The official JSU press release says otherwise. Thanks for sharing.
mod.gif

Last edited:
I know a lot about the Boom as I have several friends and family marched in the Boom. I probably know more than you.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that lol. You don't even wana bet on that lmao. Don't matter who you knew or had in the band. You might wana let this one go lil buddy lol.

Bad arrangements, wack drills = JSU

Let's not go there. su is barely supbar this year with those half thought out arrangements. I bet you thought all those random dumb notes sounded good too huh? Smh. Pathetic.

So yall really think that Redbone arrangement is trash? Interesting. What is so bad about it? I am usually critical of arrangements. But that one was on point to me.

First time I have heard anyone really question Haymer, Simmons or Kedric Taylor's arrangements. Usually that is their strong point.

Now I will say this. This era of musicians do not know how to play in the pocket or groove a song. Nobody is funky. Black bands all sound like the white boys now, just louder in some cases. It's like SOUL left our folks. But it's par for the course. Most of today's artists are slaw. No more Cameo's, EWF's, Frankie B's and Maze's, Stevie Wonder, Rick James, etc etc.

Glad I didn't have to come through this era as a bandsman.

Sounds high schoolish and thrown together. Tubas sound thin and you can barely hear the baseline til they have to take it up but they still sound bad there too so they might not want to keep that up. Mellos thin as well. The arrangement lacks the soul, finesse, and emotion their arrangements usually bring, especially compared to other schools. I'd even pic some All-Star bands arrangements over that one. Redbone is one of those arrangements you either throw away or it doesn't leave the bandroom.

Last edited:
So yall really think that Redbone arrangement is trash? Interesting. What is so bad about it? I am usually critical of arrangements. But that one was on point to me.

First time I have heard anyone really question Haymer, Simmons or Kedric Taylor's arrangements. Usually that is their strong point.

Now I will say this. This era of musicians do not know how to play in the pocket or groove a song. Nobody is funky. Black bands all sound like the white boys now, just louder in some cases. It's like SOUL left our folks. But it's par for the course. Most of today's artists are slaw. No more Cameo's, EWF's, Frankie B's and Maze's, Stevie Wonder, Rick James, etc etc.

Glad I didn't have to come through this era as a bandsman.

Not true. We've teased the "Pizza delivery" guy and his arrangements before. Some songs should be left unarranged by inexperienced arrangers. William Davis (SIVAD) could arrange "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and they would sound awesome.

Bringing in old blood is bad news for JSU Band. They new energy, new director, and new direction like our amazing band the Ocean of Soul. The Ocean of Soul actually taught other SWAC bands when it comes to putting on a show.

Lol @JSU even discussing arrangements. Brown Sugar?! Get a professional arranger and then chat with us.

I will give J-Stank credit for one thing. Drum Majors.

Sounds high schoolish and thrown together. Tubas sound thin and you can barely hear the baseline til they have to take it up but they still sound bad there too so they might not want to keep that up. Mellos thin as well. The arrangement lacks the soul, finesse, and emotion their arrangements usually bring, especially compared to other schools. I'd even pic some All-Star bands arrangements over that one. Redbone is one of those arrangements you either throw away or it doesn't leave the bandroom.

Do you think 90% JSU rap tunes are good arrangements? They all sound the same. I'll wait on your response.

Do you think 90% JSU rap tunes are good arrangements? They all sound the same. I'll wait on your response.

I think you got us mixed up with y'all lol. This was a real dumb response because NONE of our rap tunes sound alike. Now y'all on the other hand? That's a diff story lol.

Lol @JSU even discussing arrangements. Brown Sugar?! Get a professional arranger and then chat with us.

I will give J-Stank credit for one thing. Drum Majors.

Don't get mad at me cause y'all shit sound like ass sauce. Then again, you didn't disagree or correct anything I said so I must be right. *shrugs*

Back