Dowell Taylor takes helm for 3rd time as leader of JSU’s band program!

Taylor needed to come back. But as I said before, the boom need to blow the staff up and add Johnson as our chief arranger. Keep little on staff but we have too much alumni waiting at the helm. Taylor is great but older with an old school mentality that the students respect and love. However boom fans, this is a temporary commitment .... Taylor not going to be around 5 years let alone even 3 years from now. The Boom need fresh blood in their 30s or 40s as director of bands that can bring a fresh new approach, but still keep that boom tradition. The boom set themselves back in growth at least 2 years naming an outsider director of bands. At least this is a temporary band-aid for this year to restore some order.

SU people always fuk up our band. Recall how bad the band was in 1991 when Duplesis was the BOOM director? Even Valley beat our ass....lol and Alcorn ran us off the field. Then in the late 90s when McGruder etc left, we were left with Paul Adams having more say. The BOOM was so soft those years. smh

SU people always fuk up our band. Recall how bad the band was in 1991 when Duplesis was the BOOM director? Even Valley beat our ass....lol and Alcorn ran us off the field. Then in the late 90s when McGruder etc left, we were left with Paul Adams having more say. The BOOM was so soft those years. smh

Pops band wasn't sorry in 91. He just liked drilling over dancing. LOL. The Boom was far from sorry. But it was different from where Taylor had them after the Motown 90 Band which may have been his best band.

A bunch of noise. Arranger tried too hard to go viral.

Interesting. Well I liked the arrangement and that comes from an old school super 1st trumpet player who normally hates all these new songs. Folks have never like our tubas so I aint shocked. Oh well.
Di

Pops band wasn't sorry in 91. He just liked drilling over dancing. LOL. The Boom was far from sorry. But it was different from where Taylor had them after the Motown 90 Band which may have been his best band.

Well all I remember is us getting boo'ed off the field when that dude was director. We sounded good but his halftime shows were TURRIBLE. You can't go from Taylor halftime to that dude. Liddell came in and saved us.. THANK GOODNESS.

But all of this is 100% JSU fault. We have no business letting SU people come in to make our product wack. There are enough JSU alums available to fill our staff.

Last edited:
Where have you been homie?! You still in the DFW?

You see our HS Alma Mater having an Alumni Band for HC?

What's up, fella?? I hadn't been on the boards much recently, been busy at the J...O....Bee

Yeah, I'm still out chere, Mayne....

I wasn't aware CWay was having Alumni band for homecoming. Shidd, I don't even know when HC is..........

Back