Dowell Taylor takes helm for 3rd time as leader of JSU’s band program!

bernard

THEE Realist
Dr. William B. Bynum Jr., president of Jackson State University, has named Dowell Taylor as interim director of bands effective Sept. 18.

Taylor has been lauded throughout the U.S. for his musical prowess. As the former leader of bands, he received several media highlights and honors. Bands were recognized by Jet Magazine, the Christian Science Monitor and People Magazine as well as serving as the “Special Guest Band of Honor” at the St. Petersburg, Florida, Martin Luther King Battle of Bands; 1991 NBA All-star basketball game in Charlotte, North Carolina; and Motown’s 30th Anniversary Celebration in Hollywood, California, 1990, among many other accomplishments.

“We appreciate Dowell’s commitment to Jackson State University and the music program,” said Bynum. “He has set the bar high throughout his career and during his previous two terms as director of bands.”

Dowell Taylor takes helm for 3rd time as leader of JSU’s band program | Jackson State Newsroom

Last edited:

Dr. William B. Bynum Jr., president of Jackson State University, has named Dowell Taylor as interim director of bands effective Sept. 18.

Taylor has been lauded throughout the U.S. for his musical prowess. As the former leader of bands, he received several media highlights and honors. Bands were recognized by Jet Magazine, the Christian Science Monitor and People Magazine as well as serving as the “Special Guest Band of Honor” at the St. Petersburg, Florida, Martin Luther King Battle of Bands; 1991 NBA All-star basketball game in Charlotte, North Carolina; and Motown’s 30th Anniversary Celebration in Hollywood, California, 1990, among many other accomplishments.

“We appreciate Dowell’s commitment to Jackson State University and the music program,” said Bynum. “He has set the bar high throughout his career and during his previous two terms as director of bands.”

He served as Director of Bands before?

Thank God Dowell Taylor coming back to help this sad 2017 edition of The Boom. It's a shame that an alleged Top Tier band has undergone so much leadership change in the past decade. To have to bring two directors out of retirement, Liddell & Taylor, is quite embrassing. Have y'all ever heard of succession planning? Murray, Liddell, Taylor, Little, Sandford, Taylor. Too much going on over there.

Dowell Taylor is a good drill master for sure. But let's not get it twisted, SU taxed DT's ass in 2014 at the lil gym battle and at halftime. And let's not mention 2012 and 2013. I like DT though. Clearly, even he knows Little not ready. Instead of worrying about SU, y'all need to fix y'all lil band.

Goodnight!

Thank God Dowell Taylor coming back to help this sad 2017 edition of The Boom. It's a shame that an alleged Top Tier band has undergone so much leadership change in the past decade. To have to bring two directors out of retirement, Liddell & Taylor, is quite embrassing. Have y'all ever heard of succession planning? Murray, Liddell, Taylor, Little, Sandford, Taylor. Too much going on over there.

Dowell Taylor is a good drill master for sure. But let's not get it twisted, SU taxed DT's ass in 2014 at the lil gym battle and at halftime. And let's not mention 2012 and 2013. I like DT though. Clearly, even he knows Little not ready. Instead of worrying about SU, y'all need to fix y'all lil band.

Goodnight!

So where in this thread do you see somebody mention your sorry ass school? This is pure dam pathetic lol. You can't be thirsty AND dumb. Either way #LuvDaBoom

So where in this thread do you see somebody mention your sorry ass school? This is pure dam pathetic lol. You can't be thirsty AND dumb. Either way #LuvDaBoom

Dummy, I'm just returning the favor from the SWAC/MEAC Challenge. Thread. Now go play in traffic! lol

Dummy, I'm just returning the favor from the SWAC/MEAC Challenge. Thread. Now go play in traffic! lol

So you're THAT butt hurt about that? Smh. I've seen it all. I knew y'all jags were pitiful but this is jus sad. Y'all are at an all time low. Get it together son.

Goodnight!
But The BOOM continues to remain at the top of most polls year in and year out. It's amazing that you left that bit of info out of your unsolicited diatribe.

We smell your fear. Taylor will demolish that novice and immature director with his experience and expertise.

There is nothing immature about Haymer . In fact, he has been a band director for 17 years. Unlike Little, he rose to the occasion to get the job done. Meanwhile, y'all struggling over there broke.

Taylor needed to come back. But as I said before, the boom need to blow the staff up and add Johnson as our chief arranger. Keep little on staff but we have too much alumni waiting at the helm. Taylor is great but older with an old school mentality that the students respect and love. However boom fans, this is a temporary commitment .... Taylor not going to be around 5 years let alone even 3 years from now. The Boom need fresh blood in their 30s or 40s as director of bands that can bring a fresh new approach, but still keep that boom tradition. The boom set themselves back in growth at least 2 years naming an outsider director of bands. At least this is a temporary band-aid for this year to restore some order.

Back