Do you Know anyone who ever denounced their letters?

Is it Larry Stockstill's church?

That church has always had student and faculty crusaders on Southern's campus to harass most of the student organizations. I've always wonder if they did the same thing at LSU? I remember the dean of the freshmen male dormitory (Jones Hall) at Southern in 1983, who was a member of this church and pledged Kappa, decided to make it his thing to place gay male students in the same room with freshmen band members who didn't have roommates when the semester started, which was like mixing oil and water, because Southern's band was all male then. A particular incident happened that required Doc. Greggs and school to counter sue because of this. This same dean would overlook the fact what gay male students were doing in the dorms, but would threaten heterosexual male students with expulsion if caught with a female in their room. This dude was the King of Hypocrisy.

Also, was there a Chancellor at one time, who also pledged a fraternity and was member of this church?

That church has always had student and faculty crusaders on Southern's campus to harass most of the student organizations. I've always wonder if they did the same thing at LSU? I remember the dean of the freshmen male dormitory (Jones Hall) at Southern in 1983, who was a member of this church and pledged Kappa, decided to make it his thing to place gay male students in the same room with freshmen band members who didn't have roommates when the semester started, which was like mixing oil and water, because Southern's band was all male then. A particular incident happened that required Doc. Greggs and school to counter sue because of this. This same dean would overlook the fact what gay male students were doing in the dorms, but would threaten heterosexual male students with expulsion if caught with a female in their room. This dude was the King of Hypocrisy.

Also, was there a Chancellor at one time, who also pledged a fraternity and was member of this church?

I do not understand why people do stuff like this. I lived with 7 other teammates in a suite on campus and after one of us moved off-campus, they sent a fun-boy to live in the room. Needless to say, he was gone by the time the day ended. I know it is controversial but I think sexual orientation needs to be accounted for when staying on campus.

Yeah I know of a Few....... Their reasons are Religious....Based on teachings of a Certain Church in Baton Rouge.....If they believe that they are idolizing something other than God... Then Go for it!!!

Personally, my FAITH has not staggered due to my organization(s) affiliation... But that's just me.:noidea::noidea:

Interesting you bring this up. The one person that has expressed to me they were not active anymore is a member of this church. That is a strange place IMO.

I do not understand why people do stuff like this. I lived with 7 other teammates in a suite on campus and after one of us moved off-campus, they sent a fun-boy to live in the room. Needless to say, he was gone by the time the day ended. I know it is controversial but I think sexual orientation needs to be accounted for when staying on campus.

Ya'll were wrong for that. There was a fun-boy who lived across the courtyard from me in the suite with my boys. They never had an incident. We just picked on his roommate all the time. One time I got drunk and my boys put me in the fun-boys bed after I passed out. The next week, I was tellin my room mate the story and he walked out of the room... I forgot to tell him the part about the fun-boy was gone home for the weekend! :lmao:

He came back in and said, "OK, now tell me the part about being in ___________ bed again." :lol:

Interesting you bring this up. The one person that has expressed to me they were not active anymore is a member of this church. That is a strange place IMO.

Is this church simply called the Baton Rouge Church of Christ? I used to be in the Tallahassee Church of Christ and everyone said it was a cult. I enjoyed my time with them tho.

They did. It was the 7th floor of Dixon Hall. It was the floor for transfer students and "Milk and Cooo-kees".

They did. It was the 7th floor of Dixon Hall. It was the floor for transfer students and "Milk and Cooo-kees".

These stories sound too familar. In the fall of 1983, freshmen band members at Southern stayed on 4th floor of Jones Hall.

I'm sure the church we are talking about in Baton Rouge is part of the Christian right-wing. I bet a particular person (RB) on this board was a member of a similar church in Jackson.

Last edited:
Is this church simply called the Baton Rouge Church of Christ? I used to be in the Tallahassee Church of Christ and everyone said it was a cult. I enjoyed my time with them tho.

:noidea:

If it isn't a Cult..... It shole is quite Cultish...:lol:

Yeah, I had to shoot them the peace sign at the end of the summer when they tried to get me to stay at Florida State, giving up my full ride at JSU to stay in their church. Honestly, I considered it but at the end of the day, I knew that there had to be a God somewhere in Jackson. :lol: At the time, we didn't have a Jackson Church of Christ. When I went to ATL, I was approached at Tech twice but I never went back to their church. When I moved to Philly, I was gonna seek them out but I never have.

They were cool people tho....and yes, if we are talkin about the same church, we only had one goal: to make disciples. No matter what we did or where we went (mall, bball court, etc...), that was our purpose. In fact, I met those dudes at the mall. I was new to Tally-ho and I was out looking for 1.) a church to attend the next day and 2.) a club to go to that night... :lol: We didn't have internet back then so I while I was out lookin over the city, I happened to pass the malll...and a 21 year can't pass a mall and not go in. As I was entering the mall, they approached me, told me about their church, and I beat them to church the next day. I didnt know what I was getting myself into tho. :lecture: But again, I really enjoyed that church. Never did I feel so close to God and never did I study the bible as much. It was a truly enjoyable experience.

I think I know exactly who you're talking about...:shame:

I don't know anyone who has denounced their letters, but I have come across some folks who were trying to persuade Greeks to denounce theirs. There was one fool on Black Voices who was trying to get people to denounce their letters and send him a copy of their ritual.

I was at our State Conference last year and one of our events was on a college campus. As I was walking out of the venue, I saw some dudes reading and discussing the Bible. I stopped and spoke with them for a minute, mainly because it was good to see some younger dudes studying the Word. Everything was fine until I told them that I was in town for my fraternity's state conference. That's when they started talking about denouncing my letters and how my fraternity goes against the Word of God. I kindly bid them farewell and kept it moving.

Yeah he's over Bradford Hall (The Honors Dorm) now. He caught me sneaking a chick into my room and I thought my days were numbered but surprisingly he didn't report it. That fool is crazy though.....:shame:

Last edited:
I only know one that denounced her AKA letters. *thinking*...missed my opportunity to holla, too....*smh*

I guess cuz I ain't ever been the denouncing type...I just don't understand denouncing something that you knew was lifelong. Or, how denouncing your letters has a direct correlation with the religious beliefs you, most likely, had before you pledged?

lol

Methinks they're the closest thing to the truth that's offered these days via the entity referred to as "religeon." :read: Their rituals are quite differing though, for those of us who were brought up in the lies and deceit lol of southern baptism. :)

Last edited:
There was this guy who had a website that I stumbled upon out of sheer happenstance. His name was Minister Hatchett who was a Que and he went on a damn rampage about the so-called meaning about Greek-letter organizations, of any ilk.

He went after PBL and I just shook my head at the wasted energy and lack of life.

There was this guy who had a website that I stumbled upon out of sheer happenstance. His name was Minister Hatchett who was a Que and he went on a damn rampage about the so-called meaning about Greek-letter organizations, of any ilk.

He went after PBL and I just shook my head at the wasted energy and lack of life.

That's the guy that I was thinking about earlier. He used to go on Greek sites trying to spread his "message".

lol

Methinks they're the closest thing to the truth that's offered these days via the entity referred to as "religeon." :read: Their rituals are quite differing though, for those of us who were brought up in the lies and deceit lol of southern baptism. :)

Blasphemy!

I know this is the wrong thread but:

Actually, I agree with Panther88. Honestly, the ONLY reason I did not rejoin their church is because there are certain "bad" things that I do that I ain't ready to let go of yet. :lol: We see that church as a cult becasue they are "different". It's hard to understand their ways unless u are a part of them. They are about accountability and the word... PERIOD. They don't play that saved on Sunday and cussin on Monday mess. They don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. :lecture: Some of us ain't ready for that.

It's cultish, because they are almost like one big herd and they have one purpose (conversion from half hearted worship to yielding totally to God)... They do everything together and ENJOY being around each other. They keep very active schedules and missing church is not an option unless you have the flu or in the hospital.

.... Till the day I die....

This is what happens when people pledge or join organizations to enhance their resume's.

What one fails to realize is most hiring managers prefer not to see any greek affiliates on a person's resume including myself as it usually shows a sign of failed attempts to sway one's thinking process.

To answer the question at hand "NO"... nor do I care to know any.

This is what happens when people pledge or join organizations to enhance their resume's.

What one fails to realize is most hiring managers prefer not to see any greek affiliates on a person's resume including myself as it usually shows a sign of failed attempts to sway one's thinking process.

To answer the question at hand "NO"... nor do I care to know any.

I used to think it helped because a "bruh" might see my application. I now know better.

Co-sign. See, I'd be interested in those kinds of numbers and percentages. How many of these people that are quitting only got their letters for the things their frat/soror could do for them, instead of the other way around?

I just don't understand something being in your heart...then, having something being broke on your arse...and, just throwing that down one day.

I know this is the wrong thread but:

Actually, I agree with Panther88. Honestly, the ONLY reason I did not rejoin their church is because there are certain "bad" things that I do that I ain't ready to let go of yet. :lol: We see that church as a cult becasue they are "different". It's hard to understand their ways unless u are a part of them. They are about accountability and the word... PERIOD. They don't play that saved on Sunday and cussin on Monday mess. They don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. :lecture: Some of us ain't ready for that.

It's cultish, because they are almost like one big herd and they have one purpose (conversion from half hearted worship to yielding totally to God)... They do everything together and ENJOY being around each other. They keep very active schedules and missing church is not an option unless you have the flu or in the hospital.

You're dead on. They don't play and certainly look like they enjoy coming together. What they do ritual wise, I certainly believe in. The lack of instrumentation in the sanctuary, the lack of a "choir" to <b>entertain</b> folx lol, the confession via mouth before EVERYONE in the church whenever they come together, the taking of the Lord's supper every 1st day of the week (Sunday) vs the old baptist ritual of once a month-first Sunday lol, women don't enter the pulpit area ever and do not lead, etc etc etc. :) Even all the way down to the actual name of the church. :read: Straight from the bible, which I do agree w/.

My ex- and her fam were CofC and I attended their services quite frequently through the years and it made me look @ my own baptist upbringing as a pack of lies and a bunch of hooligans, esp when I saw folx raising that ONE slave finger up BEGGING to be excused lol. I didn't like the CofC city ppl, because I'm prejudiced and do not do "urban" folx lol, but the services I enjoyed. It caused a lil' friction between the ex- and I because of her love for those folx and my severe hatred for them. She invited them to my home and I couldn't stand it. I made all of them park on the street as it irked me knowing their vehicles were in my driveway. :| (I'd pull out 4 bikes and park them in the long driveway; bring my tractor over from other land I owned and park it in the driveway, and other vehicles I kept remote lol)

Last edited:
Man, those Church of Christ people are crazy. When they started saying that they were the only ones that were going to heaven and everyone else were going to hell, I dipped.

Back