Direct TV vs Comcast

I got Direct TV back in 1999 and didn't have any problems with the signal until I had the second dish install last year to get the local channels. I call them a couple of times and they told me it was the weather. I didn't buy it because I didn't lose signal before during bad weather. I threaten to have my service disconnected unless they fix the problem ASAP. Here's what I found out. First the second dish was not install in the right place to receive a strong signal. My installation took place in the winter time when the trees were bare, second the installers were not professionals. My second dish was causing the primary dish to short out during bad weather or cloudy days. Since they moved the dish to another location and replaced the converter that feeds into the primary dish I don't lose signal during bad weather.

Check your signal...first check the 101.2, you're probably getting a signal in the 90s. Then check 72.2, anything less than 90 you 're going to have problems during bad weather or cloudy days.

The NFL Ticket and NBA Pass is worth it, plus satellite radio tops it off.

Ice Man said:
Check your signal...first check the 101.2, you're probably getting a signal in the 90s. Then check 72.2, anything less than 90 you 're going to have problems during bad weather or cloudy days.

QUOTE]

there are very few markets that require the second dish for locals.. most locals come off of the 101 sattalite.... You must live in an area that just got locals through DTV. About 10% of our customers get locals from the 72 sat. On the 101 any signal above 70 will get you a picture.. but IF is right 70 (on a clear day).... you automatically lose some of your signal when it rains... and it will drop to the 60s or 50s and start to pixelize... anything under 50 you will just get the searching for sattellite message... With my satellite I get a 94 signal strength on a clear day... bad weather drops my signal but it is still over 70 so I dont have a problem unless it is a severe storm... by then I dont need to have the tv on anyway.

D-NICE said:
kellis, you must really be balling down there in the ATL, or you have some nice disposable income to afford 2 television packages. Do yo thang playa, I ain't mad atcha.
NICE

Actually, I got rid of Comcast in January 06 and ordered additional Direct TV boxes for the other rooms in the house.

I replaced Comcast with Claudia. ;)

DAHILL said:
tip for anyone with dtv (dont say I aint look out for you).... if you call in and say you are going to cancel your renewal for NFL Sunday Ticket.... we have to offer either a free DVR, HD receiver, or HD DVR to get you to keep NFL Sunday Ticket... (DTV makes ALOT of money off of NFL Sunday Ticket) we have to throw stuff at you to get you to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket because they are paying us ALOT to sell it.

So, I can call today and try this? I usually order the NFL and NBA package.....hmmmmmm

I've had DTV for the last 10 months............I have no desire to return to cable tv......

DAHILL said:
... as far as internet... BELLSOUTH IS THE WORST
You shole is right. I hate Bellsouth DSL. I'm thinking that I'll go with Comcast for the dsl and keep Directv. (although my 6 month discount just ended last month and my bill is right at $100/month :smh::smh:.
I'm gon use my ole standby "trick" and call and threaten to switch to cable to see if I can get another discount) :lol:

mighty hornet said:
I'm gon use my ole standby "trick" and call and threaten to switch to cable to see if I can get another discount) :lol:

Then you will get to MY department :).... If I see anything from Montgomery come in YOU AINT GETTIN **** lol.... I love working in retention because the power is in MY hands... talk wrong Ill cut your ish off... come cool, no telling what I will give you free. With white folks... Ill call there bluff... they will make up some outrages offer that Dish is giving them (like EVERY channel for 35 dollars)... I tell them ok so when do you want your service cut off... then they will be like "so you just gone let me go that easy"....MH trust we KNOW how to see if you serious or just talkin ish to get a credit.

another thing they dont tell you (well hell I dont tell nobody)... everytime you get a "retention offer" that adds a one year programming committment to your account.

mighty hornet said:
You shole is right. I hate Bellsouth DSL. I'm thinking that I'll go with Comcast for the dsl and keep Directv. (although my 6 month discount just ended last month and my bill is right at $100/month :smh::smh:.

What do you hate about BellSouth? I have them and haven't experience any problems. I have the 2nd level and it navigates real fast, excellent radio stations, excellect security, ABC New live ect. I can't imagine more speed or anything better........You must have that 1st level of DSL ( now I would not recommend that to anyone ). I paid $5.00 more to upgrade and have been happy since.

JROCK said:
What do you hate about BellSouth? I have them and haven't experience any problems. I have the 2nd level and it navigates real fast, excellent radio stations, excellect security, ABC New live ect. I can't imagine more speed or anything better........You must have that 1st level of DSL ( now I would not recommend that to anyone ). I paid $5.00 more to upgrade and have been happy since.

I now have the second level also.... Cable is just WAY better than DSL... I went from Comcast cable model to Bellsouth DSL... and now I feel like I am back on dial up... I use to be able to download a whole album in like 3 minutes (zip file).... not it takes about 45 minutes. If you never experienced cable modem and started off at dsl you wouldnt really understand.... Cable internet is WAY better and faster than dsl.

DAHILL said:
Then you will get to MY department :).... If I see anything from Montgomery come in YOU AINT GETTIN **** lol....
:lol::lol:
well then some poor soul from Montgomery gon be S.O.L. then, cause I live in Atl.
:lol:

and JROCK,
I don't know which level I have (must be the first one though)

mighty hornet said:
well then some poor soul from Montgomery gon be S.O.L. then, cause I live in Atl.

and JROCK,
I don't know which level I have (must be the first one though)

DAHILL said:
I now have the second level also.... Cable is just WAY better than DSL... I went from Comcast cable model to Bellsouth DSL... and now I feel like I am back on dial up... I use to be able to download a whole album in like 3 minutes (zip file).... not it takes about 45 minutes. If you never experienced cable modem and started off at dsl you wouldnt really understand.... Cable internet is WAY better and faster than dsl.

I downloand CD(s) all of the time usually from that Walmart website utilizing Media Player. I can download 15-18 songs on a 80 minute CD in about 5 minutes. Something has to be wrong with your wiring or connection.

JROCK said:
I downloand CD(s) all of the time usually from that Walmart website utilizing Media Player. I can download 15-18 songs on a 80 minute CD in about 5 minutes. Something has to be wrong with your wiring or connection.

The distance your home is from the central station for the phone company makes big difference in your speed for DSL service. That's not the case with cable internet service.

JROCK said:

Im not talking about burning a cd... im talking about downloading a full cd off sites like winrar... It dont take me no time to burn a cd. I use to be able to watch clips on youtube without it "buffering" ever 2 minutes when I had my cable modem.... cant do the same thing with dsl

DAHILL said:
Im not talking about burning a cd... im talking about downloading a full cd off sites like winrar... It dont take me no time to burn a cd. I use to be able to watch clips on youtube without it "buffering" ever 2 minutes when I had my cable modem.... cant do the same thing with dsl

I watch clips all of the time on youtube and it never buffers after I start watching it. I believe you have one of two problems: The cheapest DSL (not good at all; wouldn't recommend it to anyone........the cheap DSL won't even play BellSouth player well :lol: :emlaugh: I think they do that to make people upgrade ) or a very poor connection and/or wiring. ( I did not know that it is a radical difference from burning a CD and downloadding a full CD. I was under the impression that downloading was a part of the burning process. I can honestly say that I've never tried using "winrar" so I'm not sure about their process )..........Interesting

cat daddy said:
The distance your home is from the central station for the phone company makes big difference in your speed for DSL service. That's not the case with cable internet service.

I C...........I've had DSL in two locations. I have noticed a big improvement since moving in my house. However, I thought it had something to do with the wiring being a little newer. I really don't know.....you may be right. I can definetly say though that it is real fast though (I'm very pleased with it).

JROCK said:
II did not know that it is a radical difference from burning a CD and downloadding a full CD. I was under the impression that downloading was a part of the burning process. I can honestly say that I've never tried using "winrar" so I'm not sure about their process )..........Interesting

burning cd to cd is quick either way.... but for instance if I had a cd and I emailed you a file containing the full cd... it would take much longer than just burning a cd from another cd.

I told Direct TV I was cancelling my NFL package and I just got a free HD DVR . :jump: :jump: Thanks CJ!!!

DAHILL said:
burning cd to cd is quick either way.... but for instance if I had a cd and I emailed you a file containing the full cd... it would take much longer than just burning a cd from another cd.

i c..........I've never burned a cd from another cd.

DAHILL said:
exactly.... what it is, is the ORIGINAL install... thats the most important part of getting a good signal.. if you are not getting a high signal when the tech leaves... then you are going to have problems....DTV doesnt have our own technicians... they are contracted out... EVEN if you see them with a DTV shirt or truck... there is no such thing as a DTV technician. Some of the technicians dont know NOTHING about DTV....they are just there to get you to sign the paperwork so they can get payed. I tell the customers to make sure you are getting a 90 plus signal strength (on a clear day) when they leave.. with that... it would take damn near a tornado to take it out. I have seen my tv go out TWICE in the last year and we were under a tornado warning. But it doesnt bother me because if you have a tivo.. just watch programs you have recorded until the storm passes over.

tip for anyone with dtv (dont say I aint look out for you).... if you call in and say you are going to cancel your renewal for NFL Sunday Ticket.... we have to offer either a free DVR, HD receiver, or HD DVR to get you to keep NFL Sunday Ticket... (DTV makes ALOT of money off of NFL Sunday Ticket) we have to throw stuff at you to get you to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket because they are paying us ALOT to sell it.
That wouldn't help me any...I don't have HD tv's...I'll be cancelling my NFL Sunday ticket, this year too.

Why are you cancelling your NFL Ticket W?

I thought that The NFL Ticket was going to hype but I was disappointed in the ticket. It didn't live up to the hype. The game has changed so I not a big fan of the NFL as I was in the 90's. If I had the paper and the ticket existed in the 90's DTV would have all my money.

pv_symbiotic said:
Why are you cancelling your NFL Ticket W?

I thought that The NFL Ticket was going to hype but I was disappointed in the ticket. It didn't live up to the hype. The game has changed so I not a big fan of the NFL as I was in the 90's. If I had the paper and the ticket existed in the 90's DTV would have all my money.
it'll cost too much...I'm about to adjust my entire line-up...too expensive. I got Directv last year, when I purchased my home, and I had the NFL Sunday Ticket free. That won't be the case, this year.

mighty hornet said:
I called 'em yesterday, and it didn't work. :smh:
Told her my bill was too high and I was thinking about switching to cable. She didn't try to "convince" me to stay by offering me any discounts and/or freebies. She was basically like IDGAF if you switch! :lol::lol:

what she don't know is, I'm gon keep calling back "threatening" to switch, until I get the discount.

mighty hornet said:
I called 'em yesterday, and it didn't work. :smh:
Told her my bill was too high and I was thinking about switching to cable. She didn't try to "convince" me to stay by offering me any discounts and/or freebies. She was basically like IDGAF if you switch! :lol::lol:

what she don't know is, I'm gon keep calling back "threatening" to switch, until I get the discount.

Reggie, call and threaten to cancel the NFL package. That is what I did and I am getting a free HD Receiver. The installer will be here on Aug 5th.

Back