Direct TV vs Comcast

kellis

SU Jags!!!
I am seriously contemplating getting Direct TV in my living room. However, I want to keep my Comcast in the other rooms. I only want Direct TV for the NFL package. What are the pros and cons of Direct TV?

When I had Direct TV it went out everytime it rained or got cloudy. I switched to comcast this year and i'm happy. Now I think that NFL package is a good deal, but I don't like DTV.

kellis said:
I am seriously contemplating getting Direct TV in my living room. However, I want to keep my Comcast in the other rooms. I only want Direct TV for the NFL package. What are the pros and cons of Direct TV?

I've been considering getting Direct TV also. I understand that they will have all NFL games in HD this fall. I've spoken to a couple of people about it and they've said the same thing Cee Dog noted about the rain.

I am/was considering the same thing here in Huntsville. My neighbor has Direct TV and he told me the following:
1. Yes, when it storms it goes out
2. You don't get the local weather channel
3. You will miss AAMU
4. You will miss the school board meetings that are televised

I would like to keep my cable but Comcast will not add the black channels or channels for women. I want MBS, TV1, Oxygen, LMC, Women's channel, etc.

If anyone comes up with some other suggestions please let me know. I have all these channels and the same movies are always playing including On Demand. :bawling:

I want the Tennis channel and ESPNU - but I dont see comcast adding those anytime soon. :kaioken: :redhot: :kaioken:

I refuse to upgrade my comcast (digfital - which they really want me to do) until they offer both of those channels.

Since Comcast just bought Adelphia (who picked up ESPNU when it first came out), we may get ESPNU on Comcast before the end of the year. It may be on the $4.99 Digital Sports tier, though.

Smiley said:
I am/was considering the same thing here in Huntsville. My neighbor has Direct TV and he told me the following:
1. Yes, when it storms it goes out
2. You don't get the local weather channel
3. You will miss AAMU
4. You will miss the school board meetings that are televised

I would like to keep my cable but Comcast will not add the black channels or channels for women. I want MBS, TV1, Oxygen, LMC, Women's channel, etc.

If anyone comes up with some other suggestions please let me know. I have all these channels and the same movies are always playing including On Demand. :bawling:

They really must not like kneegrows in Huntsville. :lol: They have the black channells in Nashville. They don't have WE ("Single In The City" in New York was the sh@t). It's been recently though.

northern tiger said:
They really must not like kneegrows in Huntsville. :lol: They have the black channells in Nashville. They don't have WE ("Single In The City" in New York was the sh@t). It's been recently though.

We also get the black stations in Atlanta..........It is probably all about demographics. I doubt H'Ville has the amount of AA customers compared to N'Ville or ATL...ect.

JROCK said:
We also get the black stations in Atlanta..........It is probably all about demographics. I doubt H'Ville has the amount of AA customers compared to N'Ville or ATL...ect.

Ain't no kneegrows in n'ville. :lmao:

I have DirecTV and the NFL Sunday Ticket. Love it. Yes, when it rains really, really hard, it goes out, but only when it rains really really hard.

The only reason I consider cable is because it's cheaper to get it in all rooms of the house.

northern tiger said:
Ain't no kneegrows in n'ville. :lmao:

The population of the eight-county MSA is more than 1.2 million. That's a lot of people, and those numbers continue to grow rapidly. Nashville is one of the fastest-growing large cities in the nation, with vigorous population growth that has continued for more than three decades. Rutherford County, the fastest-growing county in Tennessee, and Williamson County, meanwhile, are among the 50 fastest-growing counties in the nation.

Nashville itself has a diverse ethnic makeup, with blacks comprising about a quarter of the population, and other ethnic groups such as Asians and Latin Americans also present in growing numbers.

I have Directv and will not be changing soon but they are not the best if you are looking to get High Definition (HD). You have to buy a box that costs about $300 (more if you get TIVO) plus an HD antena ($75+) to get your local channels in HD whereas Comcast get's all the channels w/ their HD cable box. Remember you own the equipment with DTV. I'm cool for now because I'l don't have HD. Hopefully, DTV will have made improvements when I decide to upgrade. I sometimes miss the REALLY local channells like the school board meetings, some of the Braves Games and Falcons Network but I'm cool.

To those that have experience with both satellite and cable, what is the consensus now? I am in the same boat - DirecTV or Comcast.

Comcast has the local access channels. Directv does not.
Directv has ESPNU. Comcast does not (at least, I think they don't)

I still have Directv. Although, I'm thinking that I'm gon get Comcast too. (for their DSL, cause Bell South sucks). The price for DSL (with cable) is about the same as cable alone, so I'll get it with cable. (if that's stupid, will somebody with dsl/cable "smarts", let me know)

Outside of not being able to get the NFL Sunday Ticket, I love Comcast's Digital Cable. ESPNU is not on the bill just yet, but I'm sure it won't be that far off, the company is always upgrading.

Also, I think Comcast gives you more station choices. I was looking to make the switch a little while ago, but when I noticed that alot of the stations that I have now, are not available on DTV, and I didn't see where making the switch for 2 channels, that were mainly seasonal for me would justify making the move.

Direc TV is the cheaper of the 2, and outside of local stations, no matter where you are in the country the channels are the same, which helps if you're moving, you don't have to get acclimated to the channels in the new area. I see those 2 as being bigger advantages over cable.

kellis, you must really be balling down there in the ATL, or you have some nice disposable income to afford 2 television packages. Do yo thang playa, I ain't mad atcha.

NICE

mighty hornet said:
I still have Directv. Although, I'm thinking that I'm gon get Comcast too. (for their DSL, cause Bell South sucks). The price for DSL (with cable) is about the same as cable alone, so I'll get it with cable. (if that's stupid, will somebody with dsl/cable "smarts", let me know)

MH, I had both, and to be honest I really couldn't tell the difference. My apartment wasn't too far from Verizon's Computer Center, so my DSL speed was pretty fast. I've had Comcast's Internet, and it's slightly faster, but nothing to the point that I'm like "Dayum! this is fast."

I was told that the further you're away from the the DSL center the slower your speed would be, I don't know how true that is, but I was pretty close, and now that I have cable internet, it's no big difference.

Also, the bad thing with DSL is, if the provider is having trouble, you're having trouble, the thing can drag out as if you had dial up, and with Comcast every now, and again you'd lose the connection, and have to unplug the modem for a few seconds, and then'll it be back up. Oh, and with Comcast you don't have to worry about buying new virus protection every year, because it's free with your subscription, I don't know if you're a Macafee person, or not, but I haven't had any trouble with them.

Giving it to ya str8 though, I just go with whoever has the better deal for the moment.

NICE

D-NICE said:
and with Comcast every now, and again you'd lose the connection, and have to unplug the modem for a few seconds, and then'll it be back up.
That's one of the main problems I have with Directv. Some of the channels won't show, unless you unplug the box for a couple of seconds. That gets to be irritating to the point, where I normally don't even bother seeing whats on those channels.

mighty hornet said:
That's one of the main problems I have with Directv. Some of the channels won't show, unless you unplug the box for a couple of seconds. That gets to be irritating to the point, where I normally don't even bother seeing whats on those channels.

That problem is more with Comcast's internet service, but on occasion I'll have to do it with the DVR box. Not that often though.

NICE

mighty hornet said:
Comcast has the local access channels. Directv does not.
Directv has ESPNU. Comcast does not (at least, I think they don't)

DTV has local channels also... well about 92% of its markets... (Last I checked Montgomery was one of the few areas in the South that didnt get locals, but that may have changed now)... as far as internet... BELLSOUTH IS THE WORST.... I really miss my Comcast cable modem.

WOW, I am really shocked to see what is being said about DTV. I have DTV and I love it. And to be honest, my signal is not lost everytime it rains. Keep in mind that with satellite, it is NOT the rain that causes you to lose your signal, it is cloud density. So it can rain "cats and dogs" and you can still get a signal.

I think it was DaHill that stated that it really all depends on how well your satellite is installed and how strong your signal is during regular conditions.

I have no problems with DTV. I had comcast years ago and the customer service was horrible.

GSUperTiger said:
To those that have experience with both satellite and cable, what is the consensus now? I am in the same boat - DirecTV or Comcast.

Would not have anything but SATELLITE.

Mine only go out during a MAJOR STORM..............The kind where you can't see across the street. Regular rain showers don't affect mine since they switched satellite dishes on my house.

The price is GREAT.
I have had mine for for years and my basic plus package........(110 tv stations and 30 stations of sat radio)..........has stayed at $42. Getting ready for the NFL Ticket.....................Watching the NFL channel now showing all the games from last year and training camps starting this month.

Heck, I was paying almost $80 for cable from Time Warner..........raising the price every 6 months..........Taxes, franchise fees,etc. Got sick of it.:upset:

Digital Cable didn't work for me after I purchased a TV with the HD Turner. I upgraded my Digital Cable package (Charter Communication) to include the HD Channels and for some reason the HD Channels did not have a Digital Sound. But if I used my Off-Air antenna, I not only got the HD picture, but I also got the Digital Sound.

After researching the net, I found that Digital Cable does not have a true HD Picture. So I order a Satellite (Dish Network). I kept Charter (because of the internet service), but I lowered my service to the bare minium. Satellite service is on MY TV and cable service is on all the kids and my wife TV.

There is NO COMPARISON between the two. DISH BEATS CABLE!

SAME OLD G said:
WOW, I am really shocked to see what is being said about DTV. I have DTV and I love it. And to be honest, my signal is not lost everytime it rains. Keep in mind that with satellite, it is NOT the rain that causes you to lose your signal, it is cloud density. So it can rain "cats and dogs" and you can still get a signal.

I think it was DaHill that stated that it really all depends on how well your satellite is installed and how strong your signal is during regular conditions.

I have no problems with DTV. I had comcast years ago and the customer service was horrible.

exactly.... what it is, is the ORIGINAL install... thats the most important part of getting a good signal.. if you are not getting a high signal when the tech leaves... then you are going to have problems....DTV doesnt have our own technicians... they are contracted out... EVEN if you see them with a DTV shirt or truck... there is no such thing as a DTV technician. Some of the technicians dont know NOTHING about DTV....they are just there to get you to sign the paperwork so they can get payed. I tell the customers to make sure you are getting a 90 plus signal strength (on a clear day) when they leave.. with that... it would take damn near a tornado to take it out. I have seen my tv go out TWICE in the last year and we were under a tornado warning. But it doesnt bother me because if you have a tivo.. just watch programs you have recorded until the storm passes over.

tip for anyone with dtv (dont say I aint look out for you).... if you call in and say you are going to cancel your renewal for NFL Sunday Ticket.... we have to offer either a free DVR, HD receiver, or HD DVR to get you to keep NFL Sunday Ticket... (DTV makes ALOT of money off of NFL Sunday Ticket) we have to throw stuff at you to get you to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket because they are paying us ALOT to sell it.

Back