Covid 19- HBCUS Enrollments FALL 2020

How did your school enrollment fair for the Fall of 2020, did it increase or decrease?

In Louisiana, I think schools have until the 14th day of classes to first report enrollment numbers to the state Board of Regents. I think SU started classes on August 12, 2020, and was the first Louisiana university to open for the 2020-2021 school year. SU started so early because it will end the semester on November 24. The university was trying to get ahead of the anticipated confluence of flu season meeting up with covid19.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I heard on the local news today that 3000 to 4000 students were expected to be lost between Louisiana Tech and Grambling State Universities enrollments due to covid19. As a matter of fact, a national survey shows that 1 out of 5 students will not return this fall semester.

Last edited:
I'm sure total enrollment will be down for everyone across the board which is sad because I expected PV to go closer to or above 10,000 before covid. According to the first article, PV is expecting close to 5000 on-campus students which is near capacity. I'm not sure about the off campus or graduate students returning or those at the College of Nursing in Houston. The second news clip says that 2300 freshmen already moved in.

Last edited:
Historically back - Why is interest growing in America’s black colleges and universities?

Ruth Simmons, the president of Prairie View A&M in Houston, says she braced for enrolment falling by 5% this year, but it has risen “as people wait out the economic downturn”. She met students who slept in cars nearby, anxious to get back early. Quinton Ross, president of Alabama State University, says he budgeted for 400 fewer students; instead numbers rose by 1,000. Not all are back on campus, but as 15% of his students—notably in rural Alabama—have no internet at home, they demanded to get back. “HBCUs have been shelters in a storm for years,” he says.

Despite Covid-19, SU has experienced enrollment growth, while embraced for enrollment decline. All of SU's campuses are reporting enrollment increases: SUBR 7922 which includes 7091 students on the Baton Rouge campus, and 831 at the SU Law Center; SU New Orleans 2418; and SU Shreveport 3025. System enrollment is 13,365. These enrollment numbers were revealed on Friday, September 25, 2020, at a meeting of the SU Board of Supervisors, whose meetings are available via zoom. Law School enrollment increased by 22.8% due to an influx of out of state students. Louisiana requires its universities to report enrollment numbers by the 14th day of classes, although final enrollment numbers, ususually higher, are due at a later date. For fall 2019, the difference in our enrollment numbers reported on the 14th day of classes and our final enrollment was 109.

Last edited:
PV may not post the final enrollment #s until the day after official class w/draw can occur (mid-Oct).

We don’t count incoming #s but rather enrolled/retained #s after the official cutoff date.

Despite Covid-19, SU has experienced enrollment growth, while embraced for enrollment decline. All of SU's campuses are reporting enrollment increases: SUBR 7922 which includes 7091 students on the Baton Rouge campus, and 831 at the SU Law Center; SU New Orleans 2418; and SU Shreveport 3025 System enrollment is 13,365. These enrollment numbers were revealed on Friday, September 25, 2020, at a meeting of the SU Board of Supervisors, whose meetings are available via zoom. Law School enrollment increased by 22.8% due to an influx of out of state students.

Geaux Jags!!!

PV may not post the final enrollment #s until the day after official class w/draw can occur (mid-Oct).

We don’t count incoming #s but rather enrolled/retained #s after the official cutoff date.
Louisiana universities are required to report enrollment numbers as of the 14th day of classes. The numbers reflect students who are paid in full. Final enrollment numbers are due at a later date. Final enrollment numbers for current Fall 2020 should increase to just over 8000 students for the Baton Rouge campus,based on Fall 2019 final numbers that increased by 109 students from the 14th day of reporting.

Last edited:
Except for ULL, I believe most of Louisiana schools enrollment increased. I'm sure that number will reverse once John bel Edwards is no longer the governor and another Republican is elected. I believe he has two more years left in his second term.

Voting is IMPORTANT.. And from the master plan, I think we are ahead of projection on the BR campus.
SUNO with Dr. Ammons will be the HBCU on the rise, I give him about 4 more years

Except for ULL, I believe most of Louisiana schools enrollment increased. I'm sure that number will reverse once John bel Edwards is no longer the governor and another Republican is elected. I believe he has two more years left in his second term.

Actually his second term just started on January 13, 2020.

Last edited:
Voting is IMPORTANT.. And from the master plan, I think we are ahead of projection on the BR campus.
SUNO with Dr. Ammons will be the HBCU on the rise, I give him about 4 more years
Dr. Ammons is currently the actng chancellor, and the Board voted at its last meeting to initiate a national search for a permanent chancellor. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) is requiring that the chancellorship be filled on a permanent basis by a date certain. I am sure Dr. Ammons will be a candidate, and the obvious frontrunner, for the permanent job. I don't know much about Dr. Ammons, personally, but you seem to have high regards for him. I do know that he was once at FAMU. Could you share your knowledge of him relative to his qualifications for higher education leadership?

Ammons became the ninth chancellor of North Carolina Central University (NCCU) on June 1, 2001.

At NCCU, enrollment reached an all-time high during his tenure, climbing from 5,473 in fall 2001 to 8,675 in fall 2006- a 58.4 percent increase. NCCU became the fastest growing institution in the University of North Carolina System at that time.

Since his tenure, NCCU attracted its first National Achievement Scholars with three finalists and three semifinalists in its fall 2002 freshman class. Chancellor Ammons also managed the $121 million 2000 Bond Program, which includes a $36 million science complex. A new Biomanufacturing Research Institute and Technology Enterprise was also built on the campus. This institute produces bachelor's, master's and Ph.D.'s degree holders for the biomanufacturing industry. He worked to expand program offerings by planning Ph.D. programs in communications disorders, information sciences, bioprocessing and biomedical sciences. Currently, NCCU offers academic programs in the Schools of Law, Education, Library and Information Sciences, Business; and the College of Arts and Sciences

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
And besides the drum major death, FAMU under Ammons tenure was probably the best public HBCU around..

Last edited:
It would be nice to see Dr. Ammons grow SUNO. It is a tough assignment and needs strong leadership to maximize this endeavor.

I have said this before, SUNO has potential if they can get a leader with a vision. But I will say this they need to get out of SUBR shadow. I would change the name of the school, NorthLake University, North Shore etc SUNO is more of a public liberal arts university, with over 90 million dollars worth of new buildings on campus its a hidden gem to me. I do hope they add nursing soon and maybe add a dual type program in engineering with the BR campus.
Also I know SU is in talks of adding EAsports. If SU System is thinking big, I could see a SU EAsports campus in NOLA.

These are 3 of 5 new buildings on campus below the other two are School of Social Work and SS and the Business Education Building.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201003-150151(1).png
    Screenshot_20201003-150151(1).png
    487.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20201003-150121(1).png
    Screenshot_20201003-150121(1).png
    245.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20201003-150043(1).png
    Screenshot_20201003-150043(1).png
    636.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Does SWAC have an esports league? If not, how many individual SWAC institutions compete as a varsity entity?

Ammons became the ninth chancellor of North Carolina Central University (NCCU) on June 1, 2001.

At NCCU, enrollment reached an all-time high during his tenure, climbing from 5,473 in fall 2001 to 8,675 in fall 2006- a 58.4 percent increase. NCCU became the fastest growing institution in the University of North Carolina System at that time.

Since his tenure, NCCU attracted its first National Achievement Scholars with three finalists and three semifinalists in its fall 2002 freshman class. Chancellor Ammons also managed the $121 million 2000 Bond Program, which includes a $36 million science complex. A new Biomanufacturing Research Institute and Technology Enterprise was also built on the campus. This institute produces bachelor's, master's and Ph.D.'s degree holders for the biomanufacturing industry. He worked to expand program offerings by planning Ph.D. programs in communications disorders, information sciences, bioprocessing and biomedical sciences. Currently, NCCU offers academic programs in the Schools of Law, Education, Library and Information Sciences, Business; and the College of Arts and Sciences
Thank you!

I know I heard Alcorn was looking into it, but overall I think it's new to the SWAC. I could be wrong, but I think as of right now SU, Alcorn

According to the Fall 2020 "1876 Magazine ", PV's enrollment is 9,516 which now means we're the largest school in the SWAC again.

Back