Covid 19- HBCUS Enrollments FALL 2020

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Well the Houston Chronicle says TSU's enrollment is down 22%. Without knowing y'alls enrollment last year, I'd say it's currently somewhere between 7500-8500

Well TSU is very expensive and keeps going up. That's a terrible strategy to get enrollment up.

PVAMU cost less and has more affordable housing nearby.

According to the Fall 2020 "1876 Magazine ", PV's enrollment is 9,516 which now means we're the largest school in the SWAC again.

If it wasn't for Covid those numbers would be a lot higher with the number of more off campus housing available and the plan to push more of the upperclassmen into off campus housing.

Since The Southern University System has 13K we're going to place an asterisk by that....LOL

There always has to be one.....LOL

According to the Fall 2020 "1876 Magazine ", PV's enrollment is 9,516 which now means we're the largest school in the SWAC again.

Hadn't gone through the mag yet but that is great news. During a novel pandemic and to achieve those #s is a very good sign. Constant growth and attraction. It's a great place to be as we continue to ascend.

Since The Southern University System has 13K we're going to place an asterisk by that....LOL

As if PV isn't a part of a largeR system. :D lol

PV is the largest SWAC school, until FAMU enters w/ their ~10K #.

Last edited:
I am JUST glad enrollment's are up at some of our HBCUS. SU is back on track, just think a few years ago SU was at 5,000 we are almost pushing 8,000.

Hadn't gone through the mag yet but that is great news. During a novel pandemic and to achieve those #s is a very good sign. Constant growth and attraction. It's a great place to be as we continue to ascend.

Enrollment in the College of Engineering is above 1500 and growing. That's going to be a major area of growth with recruiting and the new facility being built.

*****If your name is not on it, it's not your system Patron! LOL

126294758_10221540491034526_2354821670680691_o.jpg

Enrollment in the College of Engineering is above 1500 and growing. That's going to be a major area of growth with recruiting and the new facility being built.

Yes sir. It's a whole complex of what... to be 4 separate facilities. Remarkable, considering how and where we started.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I am JUST glad enrollment's are up at some of our HBCUS. SU is back on track, just think a few years ago SU was at 5,000 we are almost pushing 8,000.
SU's final enrollment numbers for the fall semester did exceed 8000. I can't remember what the actual final numbers were (will post as soon as I can ascertain), and system enrollees exceeded 13,500. The earlier numbers that were reported were as of the 14th day of classes. But the last day of classes for the fall semester was today, November 24, and final enrollment numbers went up. Southern University System is the only black college higher education system in the United States, boasting five campuses, each headed by its own chancellor. This fact is not a reference by which to boast, but should be a point of pride for all of us who call ourselves Black

Last edited:
Hopefully our growth will continue to flourish in the positive direction and we hit that proverbial 10K+ number soonest.

Remarkable for us since our campus #s were historically smaller, as a smaller school. The larger urban universities always enjoyed the larger #s so their maintaining those #s are a given. PV is shooting for 15K and it is highly possible soonest if the moons and stars continue to align rightly to brighten our path.

Hopefully our growth will continue to flourish in the positive direction and we hit that proverbial 10K+ number soonest.

Remarkable for us since our campus #s were historically smaller, as a smaller school. The larger urban universities always enjoyed the larger #s so their maintaining those #s are a given. PV is shooting for 15K and it is highly possible soonest if the moons and stars continue to align rightly to brighten our path.

It took me a while to realize that HBCUs in general are not "big" enrollment-wise. Ive read in multiple sources, that among HBCUs only Howard was larger than PV enrollment wise up until the 50s when TSU presented another option for Texas kids who wanted to go to a public HBCU. Woolfolk's book referenced HBCU enrollments in the 40s. Even in the 1930s , PV had a larger enrollment than what Valley, Alcorn, and UAPB has today. When I got to PV in 1996, enrollment was only 6,500. I'd consider that small compared to PWIs but that would still be in the top half in the SWAC today. A&T is the biggest HBCU but still almost 10k less than a Plan B school like Sam Houston.

But yeah, a rural school has challenges especially when it has to pull the surrounding city up as well. The city of Prairie View never pulled it's own weight. That's changing though. I think we would've been over 10k this semester if it werent for covid.

It took me a while to realize that HBCUs in general are not "big" enrollment-wise. Ive read in multiple sources, that among HBCUs only Howard was larger than PV enrollment wise up until the 50s when TSU presented another option for Texas kids who wanted to go to a public HBCU. Woolfolk's book referenced HBCU enrollments in the 40s. Even in the 1930s , PV had a larger enrollment than what Valley, Alcorn, and UAPB has today. When I got to PV in 1996, enrollment was only 6,500. I'd consider that small compared to PWIs but that would still be in the top half in the SWAC today. A&T is the biggest HBCU but still almost 10k less than a Plan B school like Sam Houston.

But yeah, a rural school has challenges especially when it has to pull the surrounding city up as well. The city of Prairie View never pulled it's own weight. That's changing though. I think we would've been over 10k this semester if it werent for covid.

Fi can correct me but I think we were somewhere between 3200-3600, thereabouts during the mid-late 80s. It’s almost mind-boggling witnessing the tremendous growth over the last 25+ years.

PV and Howard were HBCU heavyweights during the middle periods. PV was the only HBCU west of the Mississippi river which offered advanced certs for educators, so it wasn’t uncommon for too many other SWAC undergrads and others to also attend PV.

The northern Louisiana/deep eastern texas area with Grambling, Texas college, Jarvis, Wiley, et al grads with PV advanced degrees/certs is remarkable.

Last edited:

Is PV not considered an "urban university?" I have never visited PV's campus, but I thought it was a part of the metro Houston area.

Is PV not considered an "urban university?" I have never visited PV's campus, but I thought it was a part of the metro Houston area.

It is part of the Houston metro but Waller County is still considered rural. Cypress (a suburb of Houston) is only 15-20 minutes away from PV. With the planned development along 290 in the coming years, PV could be suburban but not "urban".

Dr. Ruth Simmons is a jewel ... PV is so lucky to have her. Everything about PVAMU has improved since her taking office.

TSU is falling further behind without permanent leadership. At first I was upset Dr. Lane was forced out but I later realized it was for the best because he wasn't ambitious enough. We need someone who clearly states they want TSU to be a top institution ... he never said that and didn't really seem like it was happening outside of our campus looking more top tier. Dr. Simmons is showing us she wants PVAMU at the top.

So it looks like the top 5 largest SWAC schools are ....

1) FAMU
2) PVAMU
3) Texas Southern
4) Southern
5) Jackson State

So it looks like the top 5 largest SWAC schools are ....

1) FAMU
2) PVAMU
3) Texas Southern
4) Southern
5) Jackson State

No, PV would still be #1. FAMU is right under 9k this year

Back