Coach Prime Addresses The College Refund Process

Hopefully, they can nip that in the bud and move on. Social media isn't good for everything....LOL

The entire administration of JSU should be happy to have Coach Prime. Because, he was one more interview away from being the Head Coach at Arkansas or FSU.😊

If one has never worked in the profit-driven and highly successful private sector, one will never comprehend coach Prime's drive for fixing what is actually broken using efficient and effective solutions, tactfully, and with (reported) transparency.

Einstein's definition of mental insanity is too appropriate in 2022. I'm sure there will be movement to actually fix what is broken.

Do shit the RIGHT way and perhaps the ncaa, DOE, fed offices, state offices, et al overseers wouldn't be running up your dumb ass imposing well earned penalties for ignorant malfeasance. *gasp*

😂🤮

If one has never worked in the profit-driven and highly successful private sector, one will never comprehend coach Prime's drive for fixing what is actually broken using efficient and effective solutions, tactfully, and with (reported) transparency.

Einstein's definition of mental insanity is too appropriate in 2022. I'm sure there will be movement to actually fix what is broken.

Do shit the RIGHT way and perhaps the ncaa, DOE, fed offices, state offices, et al overseers wouldn't be running up your dumb ass imposing well earned penalties for ignorant malfeasance. *gasp*

😂🤮

Stop making sense. What’s even crazier is, you have current students from every SWAC school agreeing with Prime while their alums are on here saying Prime should hush. That mindset is the exact reason we aren’t further along as HBCUs as we should be. Our mentality needs to be the biggest change.

Stop making sense. What’s even crazier is, you have current students from every SWAC school agreeing with Prime while their alums are on here saying Prime should hush. That mindset is the exact reason we aren’t further along as HBCUs as we should be. Our mentality needs to be the biggest change.
Field coloreds mentality. That's why their ancestors picked cotton and our ancestors were inside listening, learning, IMPROVING, and then implementing a better "way."

The truth hurts us all. Thanks for leading the way yet again, JSU. 👍🏿

So is this only happening at HBCUs and not PWIs?
This happens at PWIs as well. Had a couple of students at my job complaining about this same thing.

This argument is above Coach Prime’s pay grade. He gotta go to the state and US education departments.

On thing no one is talking about is the 12th day of attendance. A student must be in attendance for the first 12 days of class in the fall/spring in order to get their financial aid disbursements. Thats after years of students getting the money and immediately dropping.

This happens at PWIs as well. Had a couple of students at my job complaining about this same thing.

This argument is above Coach Prime’s pay grade. He gotta go to the state and US education departments.

On thing no one is talking about is the 12th day of attendance. A student must be in attendance for the first 12 days of class in the fall/spring in order to get their financial aid disbursements. Thats after years of students getting the money and immediately dropping.
Exactly! But this is what happens with people who are determined to be EVERYTHING to EVERYONE within a space they know next to nothing about. Every time an issue occurs at (Jackson State) Deion Sanders wants to label it an HBCU problem when the issue is likely to be more mainstream than he or most others realize. Every problem that a student encounters isn't just an HBCU problem.

The issue of late refund checks at PWIs simply isn't as common at PWIs as it is at HBCUs. I'm sorry y'all. Even if it was a common issue at PWIs, can HBCUs have a higher standard than PWIs?

Exactly! But this is what happens with people who are determined to be EVERYTHING to EVERYONE within a space they know next to nothing about. Every time an issue occurs at (Jackson State) Deion Sanders wants to label it an HBCU problem when the issue is likely to be more mainstream than he or most others realize. Every problem that a student encounters isn't just an HBCU problem.
Well, he said that other SWAC coaches expressed similar sentiments with refund checks, too.

You dealing with n****s here mane!
And HATERS... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The PWI alum is showing his PWI side

I'd feel some type of way as a FA officer if I saw this

He is an HBCU alum.
But a part of his platform is WHY do we accept things to be the way they are. Why must our business practices not reflect others in 2022. If you don't have expectation, you wont get any better.

But honestly, the REAL reason goes back to black people... MOST of us don't give. PWIs can give out their OWN money for refund checks or have ways to collect the funds if a kid does not stay in school.
HBCUs dont have that money and they have to wait until after a certain day to give those funds out. I have known people who go to school just to get a refund check and drop out.
Also, MAJORITY of kids at HBCUs are on some type of grant or assistance. PWIs can give checks our faster because they have the staff and resources to do it for a smaller percentage of kids.

Also, while REALISTICALLY this wont help anything, it COULD help with staffing issues of funding issues for HBCUs. Some things are not worth us even complaining about BUT when we someone from the outside sees how we operate, it's mind boggling. Its a good thing to put it out there, even to the governor. If he gets to the root of the issue, I am SURE it will be funding.

Last edited:
Coach Prime is a major influencer so shining a light on issues that impact students is a good thing. However, the financial aid process is obviously new to him:).

He had issues in Texas at the high school level with an administration. He needs to try to resolve issues internally and stay in his lane when he can….LOL

Last edited:
Bottom line: fix (/improve) the problem there and elsewhere, if possible. Fire preventer or fire fighter, choose wisely.

The ncaa steering committee helped certain schools and is STILL helping schools comprehend honest math that 5+5 does not equal 0 so please report 10 as accurate. (ie, "5+5=0," who does that? smh )

The issue of late refund checks at PWIs simply isn't as common at PWIs as it is at HBCUs. I'm sorry y'all. Even if it was a common issue at PWIs, can HBCUs have a higher standard than PWIs?

I think you mean can we have the same standard as the PWI when it comes to disbursing these funds. Just because it's not as common, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Some of the things that PWIs don't worry about, we worry about at our schools like the students' higher dependence on federal/state financial aid and our habit of enrolling students way after the cut off date just so our schools can get the bodies in the seats.

Not all HBCU students — athlete or non-athlete — deal with late refund checks. Is some of the blame on the individual school's practices? Yes. Is some of the blame on the individual student? Yes. Is some of the blame on the systems in place at the state and federal level? Yes.

All I'm saying the problems require more than a simple fix and a wave of a magic wand.

I know one snag is income verification on the FAFSA. That started in the late 90s, along with that 12th day of attendance thing. Kids at HBCUs and PWIs get snagged on the income verification because of various reasons dealing with how the government verify parent or individual student income.

The 12th day of attendance was a way of making sure students didn't simply enroll, get the money and leave. Have to show that student was there for at least the first two weeks of fall/spring or the first week of summer.

I think you mean can we have the same standard as the PWI when it comes to disbursing these funds. Just because it's not as common, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Some of the things that PWIs don't worry about, we worry about at our schools like the students' higher dependence on federal/state financial aid and our habit of enrolling students way after the cut off date just so our schools can get the bodies in the seats.

Not all HBCU students — athlete or non-athlete — deal with late refund checks. Is some of the blame on the individual school's practices? Yes. Is some of the blame on the individual student? Yes. Is some of the blame on the systems in place at the state and federal level? Yes.

All I'm saying the problems require more than a simple fix and a wave of a magic wand.

I know one snag is income verification on the FAFSA. That started in the late 90s, along with that 12th day of attendance thing. Kids at HBCUs and PWIs get snagged on the income verification because of various reasons dealing with how the government verify parent or individual student income.

The 12th day of attendance was a way of making sure students didn't simply enroll, get the money and leave. Have to show that student was there for at least the first two weeks of fall/spring or the first week of summer.

No, I meant we need to seek a higher standard than PWIs or white folks. Same? No. Be better.

No, I meant we need to seek a higher standard than PWIs or white folks. Same? No. Be better.
So what’s the higher standard: instant deposits upon registration?

The white folks are simply following state and federal protocols.

Are you meaning we have better trained people handling this?

Well, he said that other SWAC coaches expressed similar sentiments with refund checks, too.

He stated that some coaches even lost players due to not getting a refund on time. I know factually that he isn’t talking about JSU. Maybe Kenn just wishes it was a lie so he can have something else to complain about. I mean, his coach agreed with Prime so I’m trying to see why Kenn wants him to lie so bad lol

29DF8A4B-EE27-473F-8FDA-38A7860F9500.jpeg

So what’s the higher standard: instant deposits upon registration?

The white folks are simply following state and federal protocols.

Are you meaning we have better trained people handling this?

A better standard would be thinking and operating at a high level in each department and be more proactive. HBCUs are too reactive about everything. Hire people in place that know and understand better protocols and can come in and create a new system at our schools so that things run smoothly. Too many times we accept what is and let that be our standard versus actually thinking outside the box effectively and actually doing better. We also have many lazy people at our schools that don’t want to do their job. When was the last time you been to your financial aid office to see how they operate and run things? Was it the best they could do for these students? Or were they just ok with the old way they were already taught to handle things? Often times, many things people could take care of in 2 seconds, they rather do it in 2 months. That’s sad

A better standard would be thinking and operating at a high level in each department and be more proactive. HBCUs are too reactive about everything. Hire people in place that know and understand better protocols and can come in and create a new system at our schools so that things run smoothly. Too many times we accept what is and let that be our standard versus actually thinking outside the box effectively and actually doing better. We also have many lazy people at our schools that don’t want to do their job. When was the last time you been to your financial aid office to see how they operate and run things? Was it the best they could do for these students? Or were they just ok with the old way they were already taught to handle things? Often times, many things people could take care of in 2 seconds, they rather do it in 2 months. That’s sad
Y'all making too much damned sense. Stop it!!! 😡😡😡

Let me go put on my OLD smelly Panther school spirit and pretend like everything is a-ok and acceptable in the year 2022 with business as usual by inept people in leadership positions with NO transparency. 👀🚩

smgdh

Back