Black preachers who 'whoop' -- minstrels or ministers?

orange tiger

Black preachers who 'whoop' -- minstrels or ministers?

By John Blake, CNN

October 20, 2010 10:45 a.m. EDT

CNN's Soledad O'Brien looks at how some are fighting debt from the pulpit in "Almighty Debt: A Black in America Special," premiering at 9 p.m. ET on October 21.

(CNN) -- The Rev. E. Dewey Smith Jr. bangs on the pulpit with his fist. He shuts his eyes and moans. Then a high-pitched sound rises from his throat like the wail of a boiling tea-kettle.

"I wish you'd take the brakes off and let me preach," he tells his congregation during his Sunday morning sermon.

Rows of parishioners stand to shout. One woman in a satiny blue dress jumps up and down like she's on a pogo stick. A baby starts to cry.

Smith had already given his congregation the "meat" of his message: scriptural references, archaeological asides, modern application -- all the fancy stuff he learned in seminary. Now he was about to give them the gravy.

It was the time to "whoop."

"One Tuesday morning, I heard the voice of Jesus saying, 'C'mon unto me and rest," Smith shouts as he punctuates his delivery with a series of guttural gasps and shrieks backed up by an organist's riffs. "But can I tell you what I did? I came to Jesus, just as I was. And I found in him joy in sorrow. Somebody shout yes. Yeessssss!"

To whoop or not whoop?

Smith may have sounded like he was screaming. But those who grew up in the African-American church know better. He was whooping. He was practicing a art form that's divided the black church since slavery.

Whooping is a celebratory style of black preaching that pastors typically use to close a sermon. Some church scholars compare it to opera; it's that moment the sermon segues into song.

Whooping pastors use chanting, melody and call-and-response preaching to reach parishioners in a place where abstract preaching cannot penetrate, scholars say.

Whooping preachers aim "to wreck" a congregation by making people feel the sermon, not just hear it, says the Rev. Henry Mitchell, a scholar who identified the link between whooping and African oral traditions.

"The old folks used to say, 'If you ain't felt nothing, you ain't got nothing,''' Mitchell says.

Yet the black church has long been ambivalent about whooping. Some scholars say contemporary black churches are abandoning whooping because they think it's crass. But more white preachers are discovering it through YouTube and by sharing the pulpit with black preachers.

The most persistent debate over whooping revolves around its legitimacy. Is it fair to call it an art form? What's so hard about a preacher screaming and sweating in the pulpit?

Those are the critics who say whoopers are minstrels, not ministers.

"The hairs on the back of my neck stand up when people say that," says the Rev. Martha Simmons, a whooping preacher and scholar. "It is a genuine art form."

Simmons says the best whoopers use their voices like instruments. They're following rules of rhythm, tone and melody. All good whoppers have some "music" in their throat, says Simmons, editor of "Preaching with Sacred Fire," an anthology of black sermons dating back to 1750.

If you think whooping is easy, Simmons says, try listening to a preacher who can't whoop but tries to anyway.

"It's like listening to someone try to sing opera who is not an opera singer," she says. "It's a train wreck."

Earning the right to whoop

Whooping isn't confined to vocal gymnastics. The greatest whoopers combined "learning and burning." They are theologically sound, well-read and excellent storytellers, scholars say.

Smith, senior pastor of Greater Travelers Rest Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia, says a good whooper has to preach a solid message before they whoop.

"When I was in seminary, I was taught that you had to earn the right to whoop," Smith says. "What earns you the right is solid exegesis, scholarship, being able to apply the message."

Those whooping legends that blended theology with "whoopology" are people like the Rev. Caesar Arthur Walker Clark Sr., a diminutive man with a powerful voice that could sound like God's trombone.

Contemporary whooping legends include the Rev. Charles Adams, dubbed the "Harvard Hooper" because of his Ivy League education, and the Rev. Jasper Williams, who teaches "whoopology" classes through a DVD series.

But the Rev. C.L. Franklin, the father of singer Aretha Franklin, is widely considered the greatest whooper. Many of Franklin's sermons, like the classic, "The Eagle Stirreth Her Nest," and "Dry Bones in the Valley," were sold as popular records during his lifetime.

Whoopers not only sound different; they preach different, says Mitchell, the preaching scholar and author of "Black Preaching: The Recovery of a Powerful Art."

Most whoopers shun abstractions. They preach with stories, parables and metaphors -- like Jesus did.

"When Jesus wanted people to be compassionate, he didn't say 'Be yea compassionate,''' Mitchell says. "He told the story of the Good Samaritan."

Mitchell says European culture tends to distrust emotion. That instinct, he says, goes as far back as the Greeks who frowned upon the exuberant worship of pagan religions.

Scholars quibble over the origin of whooping.

Most trace it back to West Africa griots, the dramatic storytellers who preserved a people's oral tradition. Some trace it to the "tonal" nature of African languages, the drums of Africa; the need for the slave preacher to rouse the battered spirits of enslaved Africans.

"It's in the DNA of our people," Smith says. "When people were beaten and bruised, the slave preacher, with the intonation of the voice, was able to lift the spirits of the people."

Can white people whoop?

If whooping is the soundtrack for the black church experience, some want to change the record.

More black megachurch pastors are classifying themselves as "teaching" or "word" ministers. Their sermons resemble lectures, complete with studious congregations taking notes.

Smith, the Atlanta pastor, says some of the discomfort blacks have with whooping springs from "self-hate." They're ashamed of an authentic expression of black culture.

He cited E. Franklin Frazier, the black sociologist who wrote "The Black Bourgeoisie."

"Frazier wrote that the higher we climb on that social and economic ladder, the less intense and heartfelt our worship becomes," Smith says.

Some of the criticism of whoopers, though, is warranted, even some whoopers will acknowledge.

The Rev. Patrick Clayborn, an assistant professor of homiletics at Methodist Theological School in Ohio, says some preachers treat whooping as mere entertainment.

Clayborn says he was once accompanying his brother-in-law, a church organist, to a Sunday morning service when the visiting preacher slipped in a quiet request before the service.

"He said make sure you're in D-flat when I get to the end of my sermon," Clayborn recalls.

Teresa L. Fry Brown, director of black church studies at Emory University in Atlanta, says people use to scoff at the itinerant "jackleg" preachers in the 1940s and 1950s who whooped their way through empty sermons, making up texts.

Preachers who give their congregation a whoop but no substance leave their parishioners with nothing to get them through the week, Brown says.

"They deliver diabetic sermons. You have a shot of insulin, but you have to come back later," Brown says. "It's like a candy high. They never look at the text; never any substance. All they give you is sounds."

Another debate in the whooping world revolves around race: Can white preachers whoop?

Some black preachers say yes, and point to white pastors such as the Rev. Paula White.

Featured at many of Bishop T.D. Jakes' events, White says she doesn't try to whoop. It's simply an "authentic" expression of her preaching passion.

"Can I whoop? Yes," White says. "It's very natural for me. But I don't try to be black. I don't try to be white. All I know is to be me."

Yet Clayborn, the homiletics professor in Ohio, says the fuel for the whoop grows out of the black perspective, the experience of being among "the least, the last and lost."

"When I see a white preacher do it, it feels like they went and learned it, just like a parrot can imitate the human voice," he says. "They're like spiritual parrots."

Despite criticism, whopping is still popular, says Simmon, editor of "Sacred Fire." Preachers who don't practice whooping will call whoopers when they want to pack their churches for special events.

"Tell me about somebody who is having a revival," she says, "and I will tell you where the whoopers are."

No matter how sophisticated they get, whooping still speaks to black folks, Mitchell says.

One of Mitchell's preaching students who earned all sorts of advanced degrees had something odd happen to her after a family tragedy.

"She was preaching one morning and, before she knew anything, she started whooping and the place went crazy," Mitchell says. ""She didn't know she had it in her."

Simmons wouldn't be surprised by such a story. Some people may look down on it, but many black people still respect the power of the whoop.

"There's a sense of home in it," she says. "If you're a black person that hasn't been acculturated away from it, you say, 'This is us.' '

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/10/20/whooping/index.html?hpt=C1

"Different strokes for different folks".

I personally cannot STAND a "whooping" preacher. It seems fake, like one minute he is preaching then out of nowhere...he just starts hollering. Didn't lead into it or anything...just BAM yelling. Like someone in the back held up a card that said, "2 minutes left"...and then it was on. LOL

I also don't like a lot of noise...and yelling into a microphone gives me a headache.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
"Different strokes for different folks".

I personally cannot STAND a "whooping" preacher. It seems fake, like one minute he is preaching then out of nowhere...he just starts hollering. Didn't lead into it or anything...just BAM yelling. Like someone in the back held up a card that said, "2 minutes left"...and then it was on. LOL

I also don't like a lot of noise...and yelling into a microphone gives me a headache.

I hate those extra noises that comes through the mic when they start doing that foolishness..

I look forward to the day when I can go to the Boombox Classic and not hear any cheering nor see any animated mascots, DM's strutting or backbends, fist pumping, or high 5's. No pom-poms pumping, dancing after touchdowns, "spontaneous steps" when they think the game is in the bag, or chants of "Go Home".

I look forward to the day when I can go to the Boombox Classic and not hear any cheering nor see any animated mascots, DM's strutting or backbends, fist pumping, or high 5's. No pom-poms pumping, dancing after touchdowns, "spontaneous steps" when they think the game is in the bag, or chants of "Go Home".

Choose another game just like I chose another Church...

Anyone think Jesus whooped? The Apostle Paul? Peter?

Did they say anything about entertaining the people? Or just teaching.

:read:

What's that noise they are making when you hear something that sound like it's beating at the back of their throat...

I remember when I was young I went home and tried to make that sound and it hurted like hell...

Do they teach that in theology school?

I grew up a Missionary Baptist Church in Sharkey County, where Rev. V.T. Taylor would 'get happy' and get to whooping.. Whether it was an act, it came across as genuine as the nose on my face. You can usually tell when a preacher gets 'consumed' with the holy ghost and start going off. You can also tell when you're watching an entertainer.

Look at this clip.. He preaches the Spring and Fall revivals at my church, and he packs 'em in. I've both instances with him. Sometimes you can feel the fire and brimstone. And sometimes you can sense him struggling to reach the audience..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVOCCMmtDpY

But I'll tell you this, a good whooper will always have a pulpit somewherre......waiting on him...

I was born and raised pentecostal. And honestly, I can do without the 'whooping.' I like a preacher who teaches. My pastor does that 'whooping' thing, too (THANK the Lord not in excess). But he's such a good teacher and does a great job of taking stories from the Bible and making it related to today's issues.

Disclaimer: This message is only to those who believe in the one and only true God, the God who provided the Saviour (Jesus Christ).

:shame: Come on dacontinent, Comparing the Boombox Classic to whooping Preachers...(when you think you have heard it all..there is always more.)

God did not ordain the Sonic Boom or the Human JukeBox as the means of bringing man to Christ. Thus, the Boombox Classic in no way should be compared to preachers whooping. The Boombox classic is worldly entertainment (things of Caesar). However, God has ordained Preaching (a thing of God) as the primary means of bringing a sinner to Christ. Any kind of Preaching that is done without clarity and is done in a manner to excite the flesh, serves not the will of God.

Matthew 22:21. They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Applying Mat. 22:21 to the Boombox Classic and Preaching: Render to those who go to the Boombox Classic, the Sonic Boom and the Human JukeBox; and render unto those who seek God, a Godly Preacher who presents the Word of God with clarity.

1 Corinthians 1:18. For the preaching (not the Boombox classic) of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:21. For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching (not the Boombox classic) to save them that believe.

If preaching is delivered in and inaudible / confusing manner that is not understood, can we truly say that God is the author of such message?

1 Corinthians 14:33. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Good Day and God Bless

Disclaimer: This message is only to those who believe in the one and only true God, the God who provided the Saviour (Jesus Christ).

I grew up a Missionary Baptist Church in Sharkey County, where Rev. V.T. Taylor would 'get happy' and get to whooping.. Whether it was an act, it came across as genuine as the nose on my face. You can usually tell when a preacher gets 'consumed' with the holy ghost and start going off. You can also tell when you're watching an entertainer.

Look at this clip.. He preaches the Spring and Fall revivals at my church, and he packs 'em in. I've both instances with him. Sometimes you can feel the fire and brimstone. And sometimes you can sense him struggling to reach the audience..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVOCCMmtDpY

But I'll tell you this, a good whooper will always have a pulpit somewherre......waiting on him...

Fact: If God has a message for a hearer, that hearer will receive that message even through whooping.

If we ignore traditional claims and personal opinions about the power behind whooping; Are there any statements in scripture that implies that whooping is the work of the Holy Spirit?

• Are we confusing the work of the Holy Spirit with the Energy of the Flesh?
  • Is not response to Whooping similar to the crowd response at a Rock/HIP-HOP/Heavy Metal concert?
  • Can those who get excited from whooping be identified as those who live a more spiritual life?

The above questions are more so for thought (rhetorical) than for answers, for we are not to walk by sight but by Faith (that which is supported by Biblical facts).

However, this is what we do know from scripture:

The purpose of the Holy Spirit is not to bring attention to itself or man. The Holy Spirit is to focus only on one object and that is object is Christ. All of this extra activity seems to bring more attention to the subject (man) not the object (Christ).

John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it

God never asked man to excite the flesh of man in an effort to create an environment conducive to hearing His word. It is God and God alone who opening man’s ears, it may just please God to keep some men ears closed.

Romans 9:15-16. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Good Day and God Bless

:shame: Come on dacontinent, Comparing the Boombox Classic to whooping Preachers...(when you think you have heard it all..there is always more.) ...
Everything that you said in this post is valid ... except the premise. The comparison is not the event but the people.

Tens of thousands show up ... they tailgate, talk smack, preach and prophecy before the game ... they dance, step, and pontificate as the bands enter ... they live and die with every first down, big hit, touchdown, and interception ... they sing every song and shake more rump that the Dolls and 'Cettes combined ... they cuss at the refs whether they do a good job or a bad one ... they fight after the game becaue they disapprove of someone else's rhetoric ... they hang around until the security force runs the bands out of the stadium ... and then they go find a club to rehash everything all over again.

These same people, still half hungover from the previous day(s) have the nerve to criticise the preacher who whoops while enjoying the Word and Spirit that he is preaching about.

When preaching is delivered in an audible, enjoyable, manner that is whooped (or not), sung (or not), danced (or not), and understood, we can truly say that God is the author of such a message! To us are are saved, such preaching is the power of God.

Last edited:
Whoopin is alright to me. I like Jasper Williams, Leo Daniels, GE Patterson,Clay Evans, and I love the old gospel songs. Jasper was off the chain! I can understand their messages and they really hit home. No compromising sermons like I hear alot of today.Them OL cats was preachin about JESUS and seeing GOD. I liked that.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's funny we as black folks critize every thing our elders or fore fathers did, yet we got more money, education, luxuries and every thing else they didn't have, and we have more struggles in this generation then they ever had. I wonder why? Why is it that every other race looks upon their fore fathers and they are grateful and they are acheiving way more than us, but we on the other hand are falling further behind? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Somebody help me out here? :noidea:

Come on what’s wrong with a little “whooping” Honestly, I was raised in a Baptist Church and cannot remember Rev. Mann “whooping” a lot. But, I do recall one sermon “A Tree Planted By the Water” he “whooped” and one of the females got happy and started running between the pews. Being a young lad as I was, she scared the crap out of me.

I think the good preaching made up for the whooping. I cannot recall any Church of Christ Ministers “whooping”

There is no scripture concerning “whooping” but, it cannot be classified as a sin. If it was, we would have to look at instruments in the church [none in the first century church], ushers, different boards and committees, choirs. There are a number of things that’s practiced in churches, that cannot be found in the bible and all are not sin.

I love to hear the old preachers “whoop” it came naturally. Well these young preachers, what can I say “they cant whoop”

It's funny we as black folks critize every thing our elders or fore fathers did, yet we got more money, education, luxuries and every thing else they didn't have, and we have more struggles in this generation then they ever had. I wonder why? Why is it that every other race looks upon their fore fathers and they are grateful and they are acheiving way more than us, but we on the other hand are falling further behind? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Somebody help me out here? :noidea:

How do you know that our "elders and forefathers" whooped?! LOL

I'm sure just like ther are some Preachers now that don't whoop...there were some back then that didn't whoop.

Come on what’s wrong with a little “whooping†Honestly, I was raised in a Baptist Church and cannot remember Rev. Mann “whooping†a lot. But, I do recall one sermon “A Tree Planted By the Water†he “whooped†and one of the females got happy and started running between the pews. Being a young lad as I was, she scared the crap out of me.

I think the good preaching made up for the whooping. I cannot recall any Church of Christ Ministers “whoopingâ€

There is no scripture concerning “whooping†but, it cannot be classified as a sin. If it was, we would have to look at instruments in the church [none in the first century church], ushers, different boards and committees, choirs. There are a number of things that’s practiced in churches, that cannot be found in the bible and all are not sin.

I love to hear the old preachers “whoop†it came naturally. Well these young preachers, what can I say “they cant whoopâ€

Does whooping cause one to focus more on man or more on Christ? Is the whooping a distraction for some?

Romans 14:13. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

I'd rather hear the word explained clearly via useful applications where I can gain edification. I do a lot of teaching and participation in Bible Study, Sunday School and Men's Bible Study; often after a whooping sermon, I ask the question "what was the sermon about", most often I hear that that they were so into the Spirit (their assessment of whooping) they did not remember the message. That is contrary to the purpose of the Holy Spirit. Whooping is simply, the energy of the flesh. Whether we like it or not mean little if such does not aid in our spiritual growth. God does not use carnal means to do His will (2 Corinthians 10:4).

Whooping is not going away. Just like most things, it is supplied because it is demanded by lots of black church members (it is a simple matter of supply and demand). Case in point:

Taylor-Made'90 nailed it…

STC_60 confirmed it…

Whoopin is alright to me. I like Jasper Williams, Leo Daniels, GE Patterson,Clay Evans, and I love the old gospel songs. Jasper was off the chain! I can understand their messages and they really hit home. No compromising sermons like I hear alot of today.Them OL cats was preachin about JESUS and seeing GOD. I liked that.

Many even think there is no preaching without whooping. I challenge anyone (teachers, preachers and servants) to provide clear Biblical teaching with open questioning and answering with Bible in tow to provide scripture support. Do this and I guarantee the people will not want to go back to whooping! This type of Preaching seems to be what Jesus provided; only He was the Living Word and needed not the Bible for support.

As with all sermons (whooping or not), we are to sort thru (subject all to Scripture) and use what is good and discount that which is bad (not supported by scripture); Bible clearly tell us to:

1 Thessalonians 5:20-21. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

In the end, we can not blame anyone (whoopers or none whoopers) for our lack of spiritual knowledge.

:lecture:..beware...Some of the whooping is just a sermon filler

Good Day and God Bless

Jesus: Hard to say
Peter: Not known for his eloquence, so maybe not.
Paul: Most definitely

You made a similar statement in another Thread, which I found to be so strange that I did not know how to respond to it. However, since you continue to make this claim, I just want to know "What in your listed passage imply or convey that Paul whooped or was using flair"?

Okay. Here is a DIRECTIVE to whoop/flair:

Here is Paul using his own ministry as an example.
1 Cor 9:20-23 KJV
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.​

In this passage, Paul is abandoning his liberties as to remove all stumbling blocks to those he wish to minister to. This is consistent with what God inspired Paul to the write (this is profitible for all Christians to do):

Philippians 2:4-5. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Romans 14:13. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

You also mentioned flair. If Paul was using flair he was proving himself to be a hypocrite for he said he did not use enticing words as others did.

1 Corinthians 2:4-5. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

This passage clearly states that man's added works (whooping, humor, dancing or big words) provides NO foundation for true faith to stand on. If God allow such, it would not be of Grace.

I think your definition of whoopin differs from most. I still do not know how you are able to determine that Paul is whoopin in 1 Cor 9:20-23.

:crazy:You just can't just say what you want and expect all to believe.

Good Day and God Bless

You made a similar statement in another Thread, which I found to be so strange that I did not know how to respond to it. However, since you continue to make this claim, I just want to know "What in your listed passage imply or convey that Paul whooped or was using flair"?
In this passage, Paul is abandoning his liberties as to remove all stumbling blocks to those he wish to minister to. This is consistent with what God inspired Paul to the write (this is profitible for all Christians to do):
You also mentioned flair. If Paul was using flair he was proving himself to be a hypocrite for he said he did not use enticing words as others did.

1 Corinthians 2:4-5. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

This passage clearly states that man's added works (whooping, humor, dancing or big words) provides NO foundation for true faith to stand on. If God allow such, it would not be of Grace.

I think your definition of whoopin differs from most. I still do not know how you are able to determine that Paul is whoopin in 1 Cor 9:20-23.

:crazy:You just can't just say what you want and expect all to believe.

Good Day and God Bless
As for 1 Cor 9:20-23, Paul makes identification with whoopin' in his first statement, though indirectly. Paul was a Pharisee (Acts 23, Acts 26, Philippians 3) and the Pharisees were whoopers. Paul had the liberty to address the Jews as a Pharisee would and he had the candor to address the Gentiles as a teacher would that he might gain some of each.

In 1 Cor 2:4-5 (which happens to be the thematic scripture for my own ministry) Paul simply says that his speaking and preaching were followed with signs and wonders (Acts 2:22, 2:43, 5:12, 14:3, Romans 15:19); that God's approval on what he preached was substantiated by the manifestation of his presence following that preaching. The Gnostics, who were constantly after the Corinthians, pontificated profusely without such manifestations. The statement is clearly directed toward their ministering: enticing words of man's wisdom. They could talk a good game, but God was not confirming what they were saying in this manner. On the other hand, Paul went on this way:
Phil 3:3-14
3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. 4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee ; 6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; 11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

When he needed to be eloquent, he was. When he needed a sing-song type of the presentation, he delivered it. When he needed to express his passion, he did so...and God confirmed it.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that the content of what whooper is saying is necessarily of the flesh. I want to encourage those persons to pay closer attention.

And ... in answer to the question of the thread ... preachers who whoop - Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, African, Australian (I haven't had the pleasure of hearing an Native American or Eskimos yet) - are both ministers and minstrels.

I have no problem with whooping as long as the message is being delivered in a clear manner. I have heard some pastors whoop and not really say much other than some cliche statements and it just wasn't my preference. I will never knock a man of God for his preaching style though. The church that I used to attend in the DC area had a really young preacher, who would try to whoop and just sound silly. I basically ignored it. However, I left that church because he never really went in depth during his sermons. The church I go to now also has a young preacher but he doesn't whoop.

I will also say this. I now see the value of having a pastor with formal education.

common sense would tell you pick up your bible and read it yourself instead of trying to listen to someone who isn't meek and humble...

Back