Black College Athletes Seem To Be Waking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

A possible trend of 5 star athletes committing to HBCU's? I thought it would never happen. There is something different about the year 2020 that is astonishing. We get a pandemic, Black Lives Matter stenciled near the White House, and a 5 star committing to Howard. Major props to Howard University! It is so sad that Mr. Floyd had to die to bring change to America...

A possible trend of 5 star athletes committing to HBCU's? I thought it would never happen. There is something different about the year 2020 that is astonishing. We get a pandemic, Black Lives Matter stenciled near the White House, and a 5 star committing to Howard. Major props to Howard University! It is so sad that Mr. Floyd had to die to bring change to America...

As his daughter (6 years old) stated, "her daddy is everywhere". I'm sure he didn't plan on being a matyr but it was watching his murder on video that made black people say "Enough is enough". We just have to keep the momentum and keep the grifters out from hijacking the movement

Bringing it back to sports, basketball is that sport where 5 stars can not only have an immediate impact not only on the court but moreso on the bottomline (especially if they are a lottery pick). HBCUs are also more likely to be more open as far as allowing these athletes to get a bigger cut of merch sales off their likeness as compared to a P5 school

With football, it would take a few years of 3-5 star classes before the impact that can be seen

Last edited:
I mean it might as well happen. For example, I met several UH black athletes on TSU campus. They might as well enroll because they love the HBCU social scene and culture on our campuses which is a big part of the college experience and your personal development as a young adult.

I been to UH campus several times and um .... yeah it was wack as hell. Hated it.

I sure hope so be prepared for a slick campaign move to get attention off of this.

I sure hope we have leadership in place (especially ADs) that have plans in place to handle athletes like this (this also means allowing them to get their fair share off their likeness) and all the extras that come with it

Basketball is gonna have to be that sport that allows almost immediate benefit from a one and done playing for us

Football will be a multi-year process

Mike Davis learning that 5 stars are now willing to consider and commit to hbcus.
giphy.gif

Mike Davis learning that 5 stars are now willing to consider and commit to hbcus.
giphy.gif

Yet he still did the best he could with what he had. I am sure he's a bit bitter but I doubt he would have wanted that to happen at the expense of not just George Floyd but Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Sandra Bland, Walter Scott and so many others.

Yeah it's nice and cute to see these guys doing this BUT lets see how long it lasts once it cools down.

A trend will happen when HBCUS enter conference play with multiple not ONE or NONE teams with winning records.

When HBCUS can actually have non-conference games at home with D1 school.

When HBCUs start making some noise in tourney games-ALL of them not just NIT or CBI. We saw some of that last year.

Also you have to have the right folks in charge this time, who are not going to sit and do little to nothing like they have in the past.

I mean it might as well happen. For example, I met several UH black athletes on TSU campus. They might as well enroll because they love the HBCU social scene and culture on our campuses which is a big part of the college experience and your personal development as a young adult.

I been to UH campus several times and um .... yeah it was wack as hell. Hated it.

lol - they’re always at the basketball games when they don’t have one with a big smile on their face. They want what we have socially but get caught up in the hype and force themselves to think what’s across the street is better to justify going.

the tsu-pv game full atmosphere can’t be recreated anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back