Best SU Drummajors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donovan Baker is working here in Houston I think as an intern for my company. I need to forward him that pic.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Thanks.

I'm sure I have others from that weekend, so have him hit me up at vgaines@vrgphotography.com . I'll try to contact him, as well.

For some people, it may not be a big thing, but when you have the opportunity to get pictures of yourself and the band you marched in, it's best to get it when it's available and FREE. :D

Batman said:
Thanks.

I'm sure I have others from that weekend, so have him hit me up at vgaines@vrgphotography.com . I'll try to contact him, as well.

For some people, it may not be a big thing, but when you have the opportunity to get pictures of yourself and the band you marched in, it's best to get it when it's available and FREE. :D

You take good pictures, how can I get copies of the ones you have taken. I currently have that picture of Donavon as my screen saver at home.

Hello,

Great Topic.

Help me out. Are the following correct?:

1983-84 Undre Ross
1984-1987 Derrick Moss
1988 Eric Pitts
1989-91 Darren Celestine
1992-94 Chanler Green
1995-1998 Terrell Jackson, Jr.
1999 (Kid from Atlanta - What's his name?)
2000-01 Xavier Gereld
2002-03 Donavan Baker

What is the name of the Drum Major between Jackson and Gereld? Are there any corrections?

I'm going to try and give everybody a treat when I post my reply, but I need your help to complete it.

Peace!

Hello,

Here are some pictures of all them since Andre' Ross in 1983: SU Drum Majors

There has been no one that has been as outstanding of a drum major at SU than Andre' Ross. Undre' Ross Andre' was unreal. He had it all. Everyone was crazy about him in the band. There was never a question of who should be drum major or who should have been drum major when he had the stick. There was conversation about some other great dancers in the band that had a chance to be it. But once he got it, it was clear it was his stick. He redefined the position. He did all the things that SU Drum Majors have done since the first, the great Roy Barnes, who was the first DM to bend back for any band. Andre's marching was imprectable. I've always been extremely serious about a high knee lift drive. Dre' had that, but it was soooooo effortless. It look like he could drive for days and not stop. He was soooo smooth with it all - his turns and all. I guess that was an asset acquired from his pop locking and other dance background. He was above all the greatest entertainer ever in front of the Jukebox. He often told me when I was a freshman, that he decided to do a lot of that just before he kicked out. John mentioned his intro in Nashville in '84. That was an example of how he brought the entire house down on his own, before the band took a step or blew a note. He started that intro after kicking out by vibrating his entire body. Hold on... the vibrating started with just his lower legs, then all his legs, then his upper torso and finally his head and arms. That did it!!! The crowd, especially the women, were done!!! He then broke into the rest of what JR mentioned earlier. We often felt as though we had to perform so in order to not be showned up by Andre', because he usually set the bar so high with his intro until you couldn't just be average following him. He did that sort of stuff. The stuff you've seen since then was done or influence by Andre'. The sad part is we only got 2 years of him. He decided to go to go to the Navy.

Note: I don't feel fair, since I'm leaving out those before Andre', but I only saw a couple of them in practice and the rest never. However, Roy Barnes must be an Honorable Mention for being the trail blazer to black bands drum majors being the first to bend back.

2. I'd say Dereck Ross. Dereck Opps Moss It is hard, because it was EXTREMLY hard to follow Andre'. Everyone was judging him early on to Andre', because that was the new definition of the SU Drum Major. In fact, he wisely followed a previous DM's advise (Danky) to just be very basic the first few weeks, because it was going to be impossible to live up to the fans expectations early on. Dre' had become a legend. But, Dereck "Opps" Moss hung in there and before the year was out begin to leave his mark on SU History. Opps was smooth also. But, he became another excellent intro performer and dancer in front of the band and with units (Dolls and Super 7). There were some great dancers in the band and Opps is the type of person that don't mind taking ideas from others and using the best ideas to his advantage. I was proud of my LB. He did what a lot of people fell at, followed a legend and left his own mark on history.

3. This one is really hard. Gereld was next to Ross in his presentation, entertainment, smoothness, drive, (a little short in the creativity), etc... But, it was too short lived to put him in the top 3. So, Darren Celestine takes No. 3. Darren Celestine As A Crab Trumpet (Celestine as a Crab 3rd trumpet from the right ? I?m first, my ?85 crab is 2nd and Celestine is 3rd.) Darren Celestine the Drum Major I'm especially proud of Celestine, because he was my crab in 1986. For those who that doesn't make sense, I was an Assist Section Leader that year, but more importantly, I was a Squad Leader and Celestine was the crab I got that year. He had the drive and the heart. As a drum major, he had seen Dre', but he really respected Opps and wanted to wear that uniform also. So, I was glad to see he got the chance. He did and he brought that great excitement back that Opps and Andre' gave the crowd. He benefited more that all prior Drum Majors, because he hit all kinds of national magazine covers and features. In football features, he may have been the only bandsmen mention and thus a lot of the magazines started doing features on Drum Majors and he was named the best. So, he brought publicity to the position that hasn't been seen since. A couple of DMs after him benefited from the exposure he had brought to the stick.

Just for mentions: That darn Chandler looked Great in that uniform! Chandler Green & Chandler Green 2 I used him in several high school Recruiting displays. Xavier did also. Xavier 1 & Xavier 2 I thought Xavier could have been more in line with Opps and Celestine with his Ursher style dance background, but I think the drum majors now feel a little limited in what they can do and thus we never saw him break loose with it like that. Baker was live. Donavan & Baker His dispositon reminded me of OPPS and so did his performing style. I felt that he probably could have been more of a house getter, but played it safe to not get on Doc's bad side. I think he stretched out more than Xavier, especially on big games. However, that may have been because he had Xavier's support and input after his term. No slight to the others, but that is my two cents.

Enjoy the pictures of them all...

Peace!!

ZNSPR8502... Those are some cold pictures. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are those dance routine pics with Oops the "No Parking on the Dance Floor" Show??? Also, 83 had some nice azz Dolls... M.I.L.F. :nod2:

Hello,

No Parking On The Dance Floor was 1983. So that would have been Andre'. And Yes, that was the most performed dance routine they did that year (Beat It, Hand Dance, where a couple of others that I recall). The picture you are referring to is Opps with the Super 7 (7 featured dancers). This was the show in BR that we WAXED FAMU. This was pre-game and they were dancing to the very hot song then - Crazy For You. I think that was by The Deal. That pre-game was probably our 2nd best show that year with the halftime being our best show. Too bad for FAMU, they caught both in one night.. :)

JR said:
Frat,
You are so right about that. Dre and Oops were the total package. Oops tried things that no other SU DM had before him.

BTW, the ZN and HH bruhs did have some good times back then. I just saw a pic with all of us in it when yall came down one weekend. We were all standing outside Devo's room at North Hall. I think the TxSU bruhs were there too. Man those were the good ole days. Must have been a 100 bruhs on the yard that weekend.

Hello JR,

Are you referencing this weekend: ZN Spring 85 with EE Note: JR squating in lower left conner and I'm on the right holding up the KKPsi shirt... I think I recall reading someone referring to Peabo. He is behind JR with the shirt that has "Greatest" on it.

Peace!!!

ZNSPR8502 said:
Hello JR,

Are you referencing this weekend: ZN Spring 85 with EE Note: JR squating in lower left conner and I'm on the right holding up the KKPsi shirt... I think I recall reading someone referring to Peabo. He is behind JR with the shirt that has "Greatest" on it.

Peace!!!

Damm .............................. Arrowhead, Bengal E, Cleveland Wright, Miller, and ME........... ON THE LEFT. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Look at little JR. :goof:

Printing picture now.

Ahhh Frat,

I hate to correct you & all, but that ain't Peabo. That's me!!! OMG!!! Man this picture brings a tear to my eye! I was going thru the slide show and this popped up and I almost fainted! WOW look at that!

It was Peabo's shirt but that was my body in it. LOL @ the way we looked!

Ima hafta use this!

Hey JSU83, cmere!! you gotta see yourself! :tup:

Bengal E said:
Ahhh Frat,

I hate to correct you & all, but that ain't Peabo. That's me!!! OMG!!! Man this picture brings a tear to my eye! I was going thru the slide show and this popped up and I almost fainted! WOW look at that!

It was Peabo's shirt but that was my body in it. LOL @ the way we looked!

Ima hafta use this!

Hey JSU83, cmere!! you gotta see yourself! :tup:

Now LB ................ YOU KNOW I KNOW YA. :goof: :goof:

YO BODY IN PEABO'S SHIRT.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

lEFT TO RIGHT STANDING 2nd ROW.

Me, Bengal E, Chuck, Miller Max, Arrowhead.

Arron from Valley and Sweetstix -J. Miller in back.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
ZNSPR8502 said:
Hello,

No Parking On The Dance Floor was 1983. So that would have been Andre'. And Yes, that was the most performed dance routine they did that year (Beat It, Hand Dance, where a couple of others that I recall). The picture you are referring to is Opps with the Super 7 (7 featured dancers). This was the show in BR that we WAXED FAMU. This was pre-game and they were dancing to the very hot song then - Crazy For You. I think that was by The Deal. That pre-game was probably our 2nd best show that year with the halftime being our best show. Too bad for FAMU, they caught both in one night.. :)

"Crazy for You" was by Jesse Johnson. Man those are some tight arse pictures. You out-did yourself on this one. And you guys did wax FAMU pregame and half time. Bayou Classic 83 was tight."Jam to the mutha." I miss Roy Johnson

jstate83 said:
Now LB ................ YOU KNOW I KNOW YA. :goof: :goof:

YO BODY IN PEABO'S SHIRT.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

lEFT TO RIGHT STANDING 2nd ROW.

Me, Bengal E, Chuck, Miller Max, Arrowhead.

Arron from Valley and Sweetstix -J. Miller in back.

That looks like Peabo in the white t-shirt between"world greatest" and the guy in the blue and gold striped shirt.

ZNSPR8502 said:
Hello,

Great Topic.

Help me out. Are the following correct?:

1983-84 Undre Ross
1984-1987 Derrick Moss
1988 Eric Pitts
1989-91 Darren Celestine
1992-94 Chanler Green
1995-1998 Terrell Jackson, Jr.
1999 (Kid from Atlanta - What's his name?) Mario Garret
2000-01 Xavier Gereld
2002-03 Donavan Baker

What is the name of the Drum Major between Jackson and Gereld? Are there any corrections?

I'm going to try and give everybody a treat when I post my reply, but I need your help to complete it.

Peace!

ZNSPR8502 said:
Hello,

Here are some pictures of all them since Andre' Ross in 1983: SU Drum Majors

There has been no one that has been as outstanding of a drum major at SU than Andre' Ross. Undre' Ross Andre' was unreal. He had it all. Everyone was crazy about him in the band. There was never a question of who should be drum major or who should have been drum major when he had the stick. There was conversation about some other great dancers in the band that had a chance to be it. But once he got it, it was clear it was his stick. He redefined the position. He did all the things that SU Drum Majors have done since the first, the great Roy Barnes, who was the first DM to bend back for any band. Andre's marching was imprectable. I've always been extremely serious about a high knee lift drive. Dre' had that, but it was soooooo effortless. It look like he could drive for days and not stop. He was soooo smooth with it all - his turns and all. I guess that was an asset acquired from his pop locking and other dance background. He was above all the greatest entertainer ever in front of the Jukebox. He often told me when I was a freshman, that he decided to do a lot of that just before he kicked out. John mentioned his intro in Nashville in '84. That was an example of how he brought the entire house down on his own, before the band took a step or blew a note. He started that intro after kicking out by vibrating his entire body. Hold on... the vibrating started with just his lower legs, then all his legs, then his upper torso and finally his head and arms. That did it!!! The crowd, especially the women, were done!!! He then broke into the rest of what JR mentioned earlier. We often felt as though we had to perform so in order to not be showned up by Andre', because he usually set the bar so high with his intro until you couldn't just be average following him. He did that sort of stuff. The stuff you've seen since then was done or influence by Andre'. The sad part is we only got 2 years of him. He decided to go to go to the Navy.

Note: I don't feel fair, since I'm leaving out those before Andre', but I only saw a couple of them in practice and the rest never. However, Roy Barnes must be an Honorable Mention for being the trail blazer to black bands drum majors being the first to bend back.

2. I'd say Dereck Ross. Dereck Opps Moss It is hard, because it was EXTREMLY hard to follow Andre'. Everyone was judging him early on to Andre', because that was the new definition of the SU Drum Major. In fact, he wisely followed a previous DM's advise (Danky) to just be very basic the first few weeks, because it was going to be impossible to live up to the fans expectations early on. Dre' had become a legend. But, Dereck "Opps" Moss hung in there and before the year was out begin to leave his mark on SU History. Opps was smooth also. But, he became another excellent intro performer and dancer in front of the band and with units (Dolls and Super 7). There were some great dancers in the band and Opps is the type of person that don't mind taking ideas from others and using the best ideas to his advantage. I was proud of my LB. He did what a lot of people fell at, followed a legend and left his own mark on history.

3. This one is really hard. Gereld was next to Ross in his presentation, entertainment, smoothness, drive, (a little short in the creativity), etc... But, it was too short lived to put him in the top 3. So, Darren Celestine takes No. 3. Darren Celestine As A Crab Trumpet (Celestine as a Crab 3rd trumpet from the right ? I?m first, my ?85 crab is 2nd and Celestine is 3rd.) Darren Celestine the Drum Major I'm especially proud of Celestine, because he was my crab in 1986. For those who that doesn't make sense, I was an Assist Section Leader that year, but more importantly, I was a Squad Leader and Celestine was the crab I got that year. He had the drive and the heart. As a drum major, he had seen Dre', but he really respected Opps and wanted to wear that uniform also. So, I was glad to see he got the chance. He did and he brought that great excitement back that Opps and Andre' gave the crowd. He benefited more that all prior Drum Majors, because he hit all kinds of national magazine covers and features. In football features, he may have been the only bandsmen mention and thus a lot of the magazines started doing features on Drum Majors and he was named the best. So, he brought publicity to the position that hasn't been seen since. A couple of DMs after him benefited from the exposure he had brought to the stick.

Just for mentions: That darn Chandler looked Great in that uniform! Chandler Green & Chandler Green 2 I used him in several high school Recruiting displays. Xavier did also. Xavier 1 & Xavier 2 I thought Xavier could have been more in line with Opps and Celestine with his Ursher style dance background, but I think the drum majors now feel a little limited in what they can do and thus we never saw him break loose with it like that. Baker was live. Donavan & Baker His dispositon reminded me of OPPS and so did his performing style. I felt that he probably could have been more of a house getter, but played it safe to not get on Doc's bad side. I think he stretched out more than Xavier, especially on big games. However, that may have been because he had Xavier's support and input after his term. No slight to the others, but that is my two cents.

Enjoy the pictures of them all...

Peace!!

Do you live in Houston. I would love to get with you and get some 84 footage if you have any. I have been trying to get peabo to mail me some tapes because he has everything, all the way back to 81. he hasnt call me back yet

I was watching some good 88 and 89 footage....

Man I ain't know 88 played that Al B. Sure cut...."I won't Let you Go"...

talk about that fiya!!!!!!!! :nod2:

Thanks Jukebox89 for bringing this thread to my attention!! Andre would be very proud of all the great things being said about him in this thread. Everyone that knows Andre personally knows that Andre was a perfectionist in the gifts that he was given, all the way down to the jerry curl. lol Even going back to the days when Andre was in the Green Oaks H.S. marching band, he was a cold soldier. His talents earned him the name "Boss Ross". Well respected by his peers. Andre was/is not lacking in the confidence department at all. I noticed that noone mentioned him playing the saxophone, which he was not bad at either. Like someone mentioned Andre is in the Navy now (San Diego,Ca) He does not get home to often but was here in Shreveport (home) in May to see his nephew graduate from High School. Very good thread guys!!

SUtrp96 said:
I was watching some good 88 and 89 footage....

Man I ain't know 88 played that Al B. Sure cut...."I won't Let you Go"...

talk about that fiya!!!!!!!! :nod2:

Man, those boys had a playlist unlike no other. Roy had those guys playing some stuff. "Jammin in Manhattan" and "The Approaching Storm" by Chicago and "Make Me Smile" :nod2:

Man that was some of Roy Johnson'sbest writing.

TRU2GSU said:
Thanks Jukebox89 for bringing this thread to my attention!! Andre would be very proud of all the great things being said about him in this thread. Everyone that knows Andre personally knows that Andre was a perfectionist in the gifts that he was given, all the way down to the jerry curl. lol Even going back to the days when Andre was in the Green Oaks H.S. marching band, he was a cold soldier. His talents earned him the name "Boss Ross". Well respected by his peers. Andre was/is not lacking in the confidence department at all. I noticed that noone mentioned him playing the saxophone, which he was not bad at either. Like someone mentioned Andre is in the Navy now (San Diego,Ca) He does not get home to often but was here in Shreveport (home) in May to see his nephew graduate from High School. Very good thread guys!!

:tup:

jukebox89 said:
Man, those boys had a playlist unlike no other. Roy had those guys playing some stuff. "Jammin in Manhattan" and "The Approaching Storm" by Chicago and "Make Me Smile" :nod2:

Man that was some of Roy Johnson'sbest writing.

When I heard that ...Al B. Sure.... I was about to piss in my pants...That's a tune I never knew SU played and I always wanted the S to play it....
He wrote that batch just as I imagined it!!!!... FUC that nucca could write his arse off..!!!!! FUUUUCCCCC!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back