Best SU Drummajors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
As far as leadership, probably Oops from 84-88....

Marching style overall I would give to TJ.... But from knowing both Oops seemed like a better leader than TJ was...

From what I have seen or been exposed to. I rank them like this:

1. Andre Ross 83 and 84. The best marching DM I have seen at SU. He could flat out drive. Also an outstanding dancer. Those who saw him dance outside of halftime shows know what I am talking about. Leadership skills were above average. The Band Captain had more control back then. But Dre was no slouch in that department. He could be a "B" when he had too. Their was much respect for him and the position. He had complete control of the band on the field as well.

2. Derrick "Oops" Moss 85-88. I am pretty partial to my crab bro and line bro. But he definitely set some high standards as a SU DM. He really exemplified the way the Drum Major should carry himself on and off the field. He was really not that vocal, but had command and respect of the band. Another execellent dancer. Not as great of marcher as Andre though. Oops was a fan favorite and he also garnered alot of respect from other SWAC Drum Majors. I always get asked who was the DM back in the mid 80s. Kind of legendary in some folks minds across the SWAC.

3. Darren Celestine BC 89,90-91. A terrific dancer as well. He much command of the band from what I could see. Had alot of style and flash. Some of "Oops" in him. Much love for the Jukebox. Really took the DM role seriously.

4. Terrel "TJ" Jackson, Jr. 95-98? Not sure about the years, but this cat could really march. Obviously he did his homework on the style of SU Drum Majors. His height set him apart from other DMs. Took it to another level in the 90s. Don't know about his leadership style. Did come off as very arrogant, but hey that may be part of the territory. He and Celestine are close in my rankings. The edge to Darren slightly.

5. Donovan "Showtime" Baker 02-03. I like this kid. Has all the tools. Height, style, dancing ability. Seemed to have control the band. My LB "Oops" told me he thought he was one of the best he had seen at SU in awhile. High praise from a former DM.

6. Gerald Banks 89. Just did not have the stick long enough. He could have been one the coldest DMs in SU history. He had all the potential.

Speaking of DMs, does anyone know who will succeed Mr. Baker as the next SU DM? Those are some big shoes to fill.

JR said:
Speaking of DMs, does anyone know who will succeed Mr. Baker as the next SU DM? Those are some big shoes to fill.

Lewis Broadway from Houston Tx. He crabbed Fall 03 played trumpet and he's about 6'2 or 6'3. He can dance good also and Donovan has been working with him.

1. Derrick Moss (The Best DrumMajor, in SU history)

2. Andre Ross (Set the standard)

3. Darrin Celistin (Very graceful)

4. Donovan Baker( That kid was nice)

5. TJ

Those are my top 5.

JR said:

1. Andre Ross 83 and 84. The best marching DM I have seen at SU. He could flat out drive. Also an outstanding dancer. Those who saw him dance outside of halftime shows know what I am talking about. Leadership skills were above average. The Band Captain had more control back then. But Dre was no slouch in that department. He could be a "B" when he had too. Their was much respect for him and the position. He had complete control of the band on the field as well.

2. Derrick "Oops" Moss 85-88. I am pretty partial to my crab bro and line bro. But he definitely set some high standards as a SU DM. He really exemplified the way the Drum Major should carry himself on and off the field. He was really not that vocal, but had command and respect of the band. Another execellent dancer. Not as great of marcher as Andre though. Oops was a fan favorite and he also garnered alot of respect from other SWAC Drum Majors. I always get asked who was the DM back in the mid 80s. Kind of legendary in some folks minds across the SWAC.

3. Darren Celestine BC 89,90-91. A terrific dancer as well. He much command of the band from what I could see. Had alot of style and flash. Some of "Oops" in him. Much love for the Jukebox. Really took the DM role seriously.

4. Terrel "TJ" Jackson, Jr. 95-98? Not sure about the years, but this cat could really march. Obviously he did his homework on the style of SU Drum Majors. His height set him apart from other DMs. Took it to another level in the 90s. Don't know about his leadership style. Did come off as very arrogant, but hey that may be part of the territory. He and Celestine are close in my rankings. The edge to Darren slightly.

5. Donovan "Showtime" Baker 02-03. I like this kid. Has all the tools. Height, style, dancing ability. Seemed to have control the band. My LB "Oops" told me he thought he was one of the best he had seen at SU in awhile. High praise from a former DM.

6. Gerald Banks 89. Just did not have the stick long enough. He could have been one the coldest DMs in SU history. He had all the potential.

The best back-bend ever recorded was 1983(Alcorn in Mumford) Andre slipped in the mud while kicking out. That boy did a backbend that looked like someone took his spine out of his back. :bowdown:

It's hard for me to name my favorites. Styles change alot as years pass by. I've seen footage of all of them named by JR. Even a few others like Eric Pitts(Fall 88).

What about Chandler Green?!?!?! He was the DM i first noticed when i started paying attention to SU my early teenage years thru high school. I think TJ sort of patterned his style a bit off of Celestine but took it to another level! Oops gets my vote for showmanship. I've seen maybe one tape with Andre Ross on it.

Donovan Baker is/was the total package. Xavier Gerald wasn't so shabby either. Neither was Mario Garrett(had to fill TJ's shoes, thats why he doesn't get the credit he deserves in my opinion).

I have to agree with you JR on your analyses, however, these remarks aren't in any particular order.

I don't know anything concerning Andre Ross, so I can't comment. As far as Oops, the show that sticks out in my head is his very last performance at the Classic. You all played Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston. Man, Oops kicked out, snaked back, came BACK up, hit the vibrator, then finally went down. On the tape you hear women and men screaming Oops!!! Go head Oops!! I'm like dayum!! The whole kickout took about a good 30+ seconds. Cold dude, wouldn't mind meeting him. Celestine was actually the first DM I saw in person. It was like 91 in Mobile against Bama State. Your boy kicks out does the backbend and I'm like what the hell was that! I forgot what game this was but Georgia Tech's logo was on the 50 yard line. Celestine kicks out from the sideline, does a lil' move sorta like he was still nervous or whatever, then just starts grindin like it was a broady in front of him. Crowd goes crazy and you even hear this dude on the tape whistling like Doc does, but constantly. As you said, TJ brought in a whole new style derived from the aforementioned brothers, yet still unique. It was the first time the DM was seen ticking and doing the full body vibrate that hard. There are so many shows that you can name, but I'm going with Bama State 97 in Mobile, AL. SUTrp96, help me out if I'm wrong, but I think it was the L drill. Of course again women screaming. Yeah, your boy is head strong... but like Roy said on the mic that time... We're not conceited, just convinced. :cool: Donovan Baker is my crab brother from 99. I remember looking around the room crabweek and saying to myself..."He's gonna be drummajor." When we did Super 7... I always told him. For the time he had the stick, he proved his point. Great stamina down the field...whipped the stick with the best of them...and was an entertainer. Donovan introduced me to the new drummajor... they were on the field grinding, but I didn't see him march or anything. The only thing I can give you is that the brother is tall as hell.

jukebox89 said:
The best back-bend ever recorded was 1983(Alcorn in Mumford) Andre slipped in the mud while kicking out. That boy did a backbend that looked like someone took his spine out of his back. :bowdown:

Exactly. That's why I rank him number 1. Dre could just do things all the others I have seen couldn't. I remember us playing Tn State in Nashville in 84. He pop-locked to put his whistle in his mouth. Plus he did the smoothest moon walk I ever seen aside of Michael Jackson or the originator Jeffery Daniel of Shalamar. Just cold. Even "Oops" will tell ya Dre was the coldest.

JR said:
Exactly. That's why I rank him number 1. Dre could just do things all the others I have seen couldn't. I remember us playing Tn State in Nashville in 84. He pop-locked to put his whistle in his mouth. Plus he did the smoothest moon walk I ever seen aside of Michael Jackson or the originator Jeffery Daniel of Shalamar. Just cold. Even "Oops" will tell ya Dre was the coldest.

"Single Life" JR, you are about to make me re-rank the 1st 2. Ross was a bad boy. That 's TRUGSU 1st cousin.

JR said:

For those of you that do not know what I am talking about, get a copy of the 1983 season tape. Alcorn game. It is UNREAL !! The backbend this man does, NOONE will EVER duplicate it. That is "On the Whistle."

jukebox89 said:
For those of you that do not know what I am talking about, get a copy of the 1983 season tape. Alcorn game. It is UNREAL !! The backbend this man does, NOONE will EVER duplicate it. That is "On the Whistle."

Man does anyone have a 83 season tape I could get??

Mom-E said:
:cool: Donovan Baker is my crab brother from 99. I remember looking around the room crabweek and saying to myself..."He's gonna be drummajor." When we did Super 7... I always told him.

I thought you were thinking "I'm gonna get the stick...".? :hat: *runs out of room*

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mom-E said:
I have to agree with you JR on your analyses, however, these remarks aren't in any particular order.

I don't know anything concerning Andre Ross, so I can't comment. As far as Oops, the show that sticks out in my head is his very last performance at the Classic. You all played Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston. Man, Oops kicked out, snaked back, came BACK up, hit the vibrator, then finally went down. On the tape you hear women and men screaming Oops!!! Go head Oops!! I'm like dayum!! The whole kickout took about a good 30+ seconds. Cold dude, wouldn't mind meeting him. Celestine was actually the first DM I saw in person. It was like 91 in Mobile against Bama State. Your boy kicks out does the backbend and I'm like what the hell was that! I forgot what game this was but Georgia Tech's logo was on the 50 yard line. Celestine kicks out from the sideline, does a lil' move sorta like he was still nervous or whatever, then just starts grindin like it was a broady in front of him. Crowd goes crazy and you even hear this dude on the tape whistling like Doc does, but constantly. As you said, TJ brought in a whole new style derived from the aforementioned brothers, yet still unique. It was the first time the DM was seen ticking and doing the full body vibrate that hard. There are so many shows that you can name, but I'm going with Bama State 97 in Mobile, AL. SUTrp96, help me out if I'm wrong, but I think it was the L drill. Of course again women screaming. Yeah, your boy is head strong... but like Roy said on the mic that time... We're not conceited, just convinced. :cool: Donovan Baker is my crab brother from 99. I remember looking around the room crabweek and saying to myself..."He's gonna be drummajor." When we did Super 7... I always told him. For the time he had the stick, he proved his point. Great stamina down the field...whipped the stick with the best of them...and was an entertainer. Donovan introduced me to the new drummajor... they were on the field grinding, but I didn't see him march or anything. The only thing I can give you is that the brother is tall as hell.

That show you talking about was 87 SU/FAMU Celestine was on super 7 that game.

I have 83 footage..
Jukebox89,

I forgot to ask you if you remember Ken(Beaver) should be your CB...But me him, his cousin Derek(Oops)Moss, Lawrnce Rawlins ...and a few other or getting together the New Orleans All-Pro band...

BTW ,
Lo, and Will Rawlins father passed 2 days ago...

JR said:

Damm ............... Had forgot all about my boy. Had some good time's hangin' though. :nod2:

SUtrp96 said:
I have 83 footage..
Jukebox89,

I forgot to ask you if you remember Ken(Beaver) should be your CB...But me him, his cousin Derek(Oops)Moss, Lawrnce Rawlins ...and a few other or getting together the New Orleans All-Pro band...

BTW ,
Lo, and Will Rawlins father passed 2 days ago...
:what: Man, I am sorry to hear that about their Father. I will say a prayer for their family. Those are my boys.

:tup: Good Luck on the Band. I look forward to hearing great things about it. Tell Beav.. "What's up." (E from Shreveport) He will know who I am. I saw
Beav in the NO during the classic. Same ole' Beaver. Cool Arse Brother! :nod2:

jstate83 said:
Damm ............... Had forgot all about my boy. Had some good time's hangin' though. :nod2:

Oops was tight! Very versatile as a DrumMajor. Truly the DrumMajor prospective SU D-Majors should watch if they want to learn the style. :nod2:

I remember all these cats...from hearing the name D Moss from my days in SU Labs band(83-85) up until seeing Donovan Baker...

:nod2:

:nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2:

:tup: :tup: :tup:

Jax1906 said:
I remember all these cats...from hearing the name D Moss from my days in SU Labs band(83-85) up until seeing Donovan Baker...

:nod2:

:nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2:

:tup: :tup: :tup:

donovan is definitely one of my favorites. He appears to be a good person. Very nice to the kids that ran up to him. I remember TJ being same way.

It gets harder for me to rank. From all the tapes, and from actually marching under 2 drummajors, I can't put them in any order cause all the Juke-majors were on their ish.

jukebox89 said:
:what: Man, I am sorry to hear that about their Father. I will say a prayer for their family. Those are my boys.

:tup: Good Luck on the Band. I look forward to hearing great things about it. Tell Beav.. "What's up." (E from Shreveport) He will know who I am. I saw
Beav in the NO during the classic. Same ole' Beaver. Cool Arse Brother! :nod2:

Silveran Monroe "Mighty Mouse" from 87 also died not to long ago, we are honoring him at the picnic this year along with Calvin "MUMMY" Weams Fall 77'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back