report that accused Voncile Gibson of taking $33,500 by
''falsifying payroll documents.''

The money was earmarked for an Army Enhanced Skills
Training Program, which was designed to help ROTC
cadets improve academic and social skills that are
required for Army officers.

Gibson said Thursday that his wife, who has been on paid
leave since January 2000, will return to the A&M faculty
this fall as director of developmental education.

The July 9 agreement with the U.S. attorney's office in
Birmingham, announced Thursday, calls for A&M to refund
the money to the Army in three installments between this
week and October 2002, plus 8.5 percent interest on the
unpaid balance after the first $145,000 payment.

With the interest, the settlement could cost A&M as much
as $409,000. Signing the agreement were Gibson, A&M
board attorney Rod Steakley, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim
Gann and an attorney for the Army.

Gibson said Thursday that the money would be paid out of
''residual funds in an ROTC account.''

''It's been something that was an undue burden for five
years,'' Gibson said. ''We're happy it's behind us, so we
can push this university to great heights.''

A&M made no admission of liability, according to the U.S.
attorney's office.

Gann said the agreement set University will pay $395,000
following U.S. probe A&M Continued from page A1 tles the
matter as far as A&M ''as an institution'' and the U.S.
attorney's office are concerned. But, he said, the
agreement does not prevent the Army from proceeding with
its own investigation.

Federal prosecutors also could take future criminal or civil
actions against A&M or other relevant parties if new
information is found, he said.

Paul Kotakis, chief of public affairs for the U.S. Army
Cadet Command in Fort Monroe, Va., said Thursday that
the Army's fraud and procurement division is still
investigating the A&M matter.

''The settlement agreement does not constitute the final
word on the subject,'' he said.

Kotakis said the division is focusing on actions by
individuals whom he would not name.

About one month before the settlement, at a meeting of
A&M trustees June 8, Gibson, 52, received a three-year
contract extension. His contract now runs through July

Gibson's salary was $162,701 in the 1999-2000 academic
year, the latest figures on file with the Alabama
Commission on Higher Education.

Steakley said the A&M trustees were ''deeply interested'' in
the validity of the charges before extending Gibson's
contract.

''It is my belief that had they not been convinced these
matters were behind him, they would not have taken the
action they did,'' Steakley said.

Steakley said he considered the accusations ''politically
motivated.'' The Alabama attorney general's office began its
investigation after the Alabama Ethics Commission, in a
unanimous vote, said in May 1998 there was ''probable
cause'' to believe the Gibsons used their office for personal
gain.

''They were carefully calculated attacks to undermine (his)
credibility and to try to hurt Dr. Gibson and his
administration,'' Steakley said of the accusations.

State Ethics Director Jim Sumner said that although
prosecutors have a heavier burden of proof than the Ethics
Commission, ethics investigators felt there was conclusive
evidence to win a conviction.

''We feel very comfortable we reached the right conclusion,''
Sumner said.

Richard Allen, chief deputy of the Alabama attorney
general's office, said this week that the state ethics
charges were dropped for ''insufficient evidence.''

The Gibsons denied wrongdoing. In 1999, the Army
conducted an audit of the campus-based ROTC tutoring
program and documented several irregularities. The
classes of the Enhanced Skills Training Program are
designed to boost the social and academic abilities of
prospective Army officers.

The audit found A&M billed and the Army paid $1.5 million
for the skills program over seven years. But the school
collected $641,512 ''above its cost in what was supposed
to be a nonprofit venture'' and transferred the money to the
school's general fund, according to the audit.

The audit said the university inflated the number of
students it reported in the program those years by claiming
50 to 114 students served when the enrollment was
actually 21 to 81 students. The audit said Voncile Gibson
and a secretary were paid nearly $91,000 for work that had
nothing to do with the ROTC skills program.

The contract has strict reporting requirements and
specifically prohibits the program manager from doing any
other work during regular hours. From October 1991 to
September 1999, Voncile Gibson held a combined position
of program manager for the skills program and director of
developmental education.

Gann on Thursday declined to say specifically what portion
of the audit the settlement addresses. He did say,
however, that a big problem is over how the ROTC money
was obtained.

The U.S. attorney's office "had to base it on whether they
got that money through submitting false claims - in this
case, the student-load issue - or if they submitted
inaccurate cost and pricing information when they
negotiated this contract with the government,'' Gann said.

Gann said the $395,000 A&M agreed to repay falls far
short of what auditors believe the Army lost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Dare you Steal from the boys in uniform. :( What makes people think they can steal from uncle Sam? he is gonna get his no matter what.

JST,

Some schools will do anything to make the headlines. I guess this is their way of "marketing the university". :confused:

Now I'm beginning to understand this undying loyalty to Coop. If you can support a thieving couple to run your school, you can support an idiot coach to run your football team.

Gotta be jedi mind tricks.:(

To all:

Unlike some schools, we were able to complete an investigation and pay the fees for it. This in no way stopped the completion of our New Apartment Village, New football practice area(s), New Softball Field for our girls, New Business building, New Library that is set to go under construction, New Student center that will go under construction, New Engineering Building that the President and dean marketed the school and got the money for the whole project, or The New CAN OF ASS-Whippin we just bought for you lames. :D

We believe in justice. When allegations are made in Alabama a grand jury in convened. Then charges are made. The judge will allow the charges to be file or he/she may deny. Lawyers go to work to present their cases if their is enough evidence. Then you asked witnesses to come forward. Hearsay is not acceptable evidence in this State. We understand the system and political aspirations of many folks who live in and around Alabama. However, we don't want our leaders to resign just because someone cannot get their way and start reporting things that were given to them because they didn't get promoted or don't want to do their job.

My position is that all leaders should fight rather than resign, because 99% of the time the public receive misinformation.

I like what Farrakahan (sp) told Congress when they were quoting from the newspaper about his visits overseas. He put them to shame when they tried to get him to answer what was printed in the newspaper.

Presidents at all HBCUs need all the help they can get. The majority of us definite will support ours. No Attorney General IS GOING TO TAKE PEOPLE AT THIS LEVEL TO COURT UNLESS THEY HAVE THE EVIDENCE. There will be more and more allegations, but until a conviction takes place, we support our President and the First LADY.

Gibson said Thursday that the money would be paid out of

It appears the money is still at AAMU.

Mighty Dog,

1. The woman got money she should not have received.

2. The president is in on the deal...if not he's one dumbazz.

3. The isht ain't over, cuz if she didn't report this additional income
the IRS will be on her azz like Spears on a throwback pass.

I understand your school pride makes you want to defend this on the smack page. I felt the same way when GSU was catching heat. But bruh, it's really time we started giving these sadazz thieving, incompetent folk some serious jailtime. It's an embarassing how these people claim to love our alma maters and then steal us blind.

MikeBigg,

They think it's over.:rolleyes: Man the criminal charges haven't even been filed. Military hasn't finished it's investigation. From what Mighty Dog just posted, it's OK to overlook the crime simply because it was reported by someone who may have a grudge.:confused: I would understand if the snitch was making the stuff up, but A&M is paying the money back. Had to be some merit to the allegation.

But this is A&M we are talking about. And as long as they are improving their football fields, athletic facilities, apartments and what not, it don't matter that the president and his wife are stealing from the federal gov't. I mean, if they'll steal from Uncle Sam, they'll damn sho rape 0-7.

I can see it now:

Judge: President and Mrs. Gibson, you have been found to have stole money from the U.S. Gov't. Any words in your defense before I impose sentencing???

Pres. Gibson: Yes, your Honor. I would like to say that "we were able to complete an investigation and pay the fees for it. This in no way stopped the completion of our New Apartment Village, New football practice area(s), New Softball Field for our girls, New Business building, New Library that is set to go under construction, New Student center that will go under construction, New Engineering Building that the President and dean marketed the school and got the money for the whole project, or The New CAN OF ASS-Whippin we . . ." are about to put on the SWAC. (courtesy of MIKE, with modifications)

Judge: Is that your defense??? You are stupider than I thought. Hope you enjoy Leavenworth(sp). Get out of my sight. Both of you.

AAMU made more than just one headline that day.

AMCOM helps new A&M school get off ground

Donated helicopter will be used in mechanical engineering program

07/20/01

By ERIKA COTTON
Times Staff Writer htimes@htimes.com

Kendrick Pryor watched Thursday as an Army general passed the keys of a Huey helicopter to the president of Alabama A&M University and couldn't wait to start tinkering with it in his mechanical engineering class.

"We deal with a lot of forces and motion. This is one of the first tools we've gotten," said Pryor, an Alabama A&M junior.

Maj. Gen. Al Sullivan, commander of the Aviation and Missile Command at Redstone Arsenal, turned over the UH-1 Huey to A&M President John Gibson during a ceremony at the school. The university's new School of Engineering and Technology will use the aircraft to help get its mechanical engineering program off the ground.

AMCOM helped the university navigate government red tape to find the helicopter, which was donated by the U.S. General Services Administration and formerly owned by the Arkansas National Guard.

"We want to teach students how to operate the machine, watch how it performs and show them the structure and aerodynamics of the helicopter," said Dr. Ruben Rojas-Oviedo, chairman of the department of mechanical engineering. The helicopter is worth an estimated $250,000, but the UH-1 series is going to be retired by fiscal 2004, said Bob Hunt, AMCOM spokesman.

Rojas-Oviedo said he plans to use donated tools like the helicopter, along with advice from local aerospace companies and the government, to learn how the university can better teach and prepare students for professional engineering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess there isn't really any hard fellings between the government and A&M is there? I wonder if someone with a grudge will try to have us audited for this too.:rolleyes:

You all are _ _ _.:( Can you reach a little higher next time JST?:idea:

Mike Bigg and robber, the newspaper is hearsay. They cannot reveal their sources. If they did then those sources would have to step forward. If you evaluate what you are saying about the situation it amounts to hearsay.

Mike if you read the article again which is hearsay, you will see that the money will be paid out of the ROTC account. How can money be taken when it is present in the ROTC account?

MB, school pride has nothing to do with it. The Attorney General has investigated this matter. It appears to me that he knows this situation better than anyone else.

I guess you missed the point that the U.S. Attorney General reached an agreement with AAMU. Do you understand that the U.S. Attorney General is the Federal Government.

robber, what appear to be a crime may not be a crime.

Therefore, we will support our President and if they are convicted sentenced for a crime, we will appoint a search committee and get another one.

When it is determined that our football team cannot win under the present coach, we will form a seach committe and get another. At AAMU you find anyone around here crying over spilled milk. We are 0-7 against the big three. As you can see we keep right on talking. AAMU folks just don't worry about small time stuff.

In my opinion Favors should not have resigned but they gave him such a good deal to resign he could not refuse.

Originally posted by MightyDog
Mike Bigg and robber, the newspaper is hearsay. They cannot reveal their sources. If they did then those sources would have to step forward. If you evaluate what you are saying about the situation it amounts to hearsay.

I agree. This is hearsay. But that article might be accurate in detailing the facts.

Mike if you read the article again which is hearsay, you will see that the money will be paid out of the ROTC account. How can money be taken when it is present in the ROTC account?

Must I tell you how flawed this logic is. OK, Mighty Dog. Lets say there was $1M in the ROTC account. Let's say that your Pres's wife is accused of stealing $385M. Let's also say that the current balance is $500K. That means $115K might have been spent on the program. And out of the remaining balance, y'all gonna pay the money stolen back. So, y'all obviously have enough money in the account, but it don't mean that money wasn't stolen.

MB, school pride has nothing to do with it. The Attorney General has investigated this matter. It appears to me that he knows this situation better than anyone else.

Yes, he should know more than us.

I guess you missed the point that the U.S. Attorney General reached an agreement with AAMU. Do you understand that the U.S. Attorney General is the Federal Government.

You are right again. The U.S. Attorney reached an agreement with AAMU. But he didn't make a deal with Gibson or his wife. So don't try to paint the picture that that agreement absolves your pres or his wife.

robber, what appear to be a crime may not be a crime.

[And I honestly hope that there is no crime here.

robber, if the U.S. Attorney General and the State Attorney General looked at the facts don't you think being lawyers they would understand the nature of this case?

How is a newspaper going to convict anyone on hearsay?

AAMU is being tried in the Newspaper and it is not going to stop and it doesn't matter who the President is. We are happy to have this behind us. The ethic commissioners got upset because their scare tactics did not work. They all voted guilty.

robber, read the article real careful. Based on what you read in the article, as a lawyer you made several assumptions. Now if you were hired as our defense lawyer you would pick the article apart.

With the interest, the settlement could cost A&M as much

If the Gann and an Army Attorney signed an agreement with the President of AAMU what is left to be done? Either I don't understand or somebody is lying.

I am trying to be logical like the #3 Smacker.

I don't see that article as trying to convict the president. Is the paper lying??? Seems as if they are reporting facts. If it happened, it happened. And that article won't be presented as evidence by nobody in a courtroom. It'll be irrelevant, unless A&M claims that it can't get a fair trial for jury bias or something. Won't be necessary to pick it apart.

What will get picked apart at trial would be your pres and his wife about where that money went. You keep pointing out that deal with A&M, make sure it said that they won't prosecute your pres and his wife.

Re: AAMU made more than just one headline that day.

Originally posted by Mr. SWAC
AMCOM helps new A&M school get off ground

Donated helicopter will be used in mechanical engineering program

07/20/01

By ERIKA COTTON
Times Staff Writer htimes@htimes.com

Kendrick Pryor watched Thursday as an Army general passed the keys of a Huey helicopter to the president of Alabama A&M University and couldn't wait to start tinkering with it in his mechanical engineering class.

"We deal with a lot of forces and motion. This is one of the first tools we've gotten," said Pryor, an Alabama A&M junior.

Maj. Gen. Al Sullivan, commander of the Aviation and Missile Command at Redstone Arsenal, turned over the UH-1 Huey to A&M President John Gibson during a ceremony at the school. The university's new School of Engineering and Technology will use the aircraft to help get its mechanical engineering program off the ground.

AMCOM helped the university navigate government red tape to find the helicopter, which was donated by the U.S. General Services Administration and formerly owned by the Arkansas National Guard.

"We want to teach students how to operate the machine, watch how it performs and show them the structure and aerodynamics of the helicopter," said Dr. Ruben Rojas-Oviedo, chairman of the department of mechanical engineering. The helicopter is worth an estimated $250,000, but the UH-1 series is going to be retired by fiscal 2004, said Bob Hunt, AMCOM spokesman.

Rojas-Oviedo said he plans to use donated tools like the helicopter, along with advice from local aerospace companies and the government, to learn how the university can better teach and prepare students for professional engineering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats Great News!!!!!!:D

AFRAID????????????

The Fear Factor!!!!!

Some SWAC members are afraid of THE AAMU Athletic Program.....

Some are afraid of ALABAMA A&M UNIVERSITY.................

Some are afraid of COACH COOPER..........................................

Still others are afraid of ALL of our other COACHES..................

Now the fear is showing regarding PRESIDENT GIBSON and His wife??????????

("L" we all know how honorable the media is. WE all know they never print anything but the truth :confused: and that politicians never LIE???? HBCU presidents have always been under attack by various media sources since forever. This not only true for HBCU Presidents but instead includes BLACK Councilmen, Mayors, Legislative Reps, etc. )

BLACK Athletes (high school, college, professional) are not immune to this same "media Manipulation". I would suggest to those who wish to see ALABAMA A&M UNIVERSITY hurt, harmed, or embarrassed in any way possible, "if you live in a glass house on or near an HBCU Campus, it is best you not throw stones". Weather you know it or not, there is a bulleye on all of our backs???

Adding to MD's comments....

This investigation has gone on for over 5 years. It was started by some lazy arse teachers and faculty members that got dealt with accordingly when Gibson came on board. They were pissed because the man wanted to get rid of the people that were just sitting on the ARSES and not getting their jobs done. Mainly the Financial Aid department, a few in the registrars office, and a butt load of instructors that wouldn't have full classes (No interest in that paticular field) or even find internships for students.

These same people that have created this crap had students believing in it for only 3 months. Then students started realizing that they were being called to defend the problem (Disgruntle Faculty and staff).

If you are paid to do a job, you do that job when you are supposed to. Not when you get ready. This was apart of the major problems at AAMU. We had people sitting around waiting until the last minute to do their jobs. With that happening, students sat in lines for two or three days just to get a signature. Then they had to sit in another line to get paperwork put into the system. That doesn't sound like a place where students will won't to attend. But, things aren't like that anymore. Registration and Financial Aid are faster than it was when I was there. So the problem people are gone.

Robber,

Have you ever seen a leader of a protest come to protest and no one shows up to protest? Well this poor man showed up at the '98 graduation with two coolers of sodas, about 13 picket signs, a few lawn chairs, and two relatives. Needless to say, the same media that was on his side made him the laughing stock of Huntsville. In the same Newspaper, there was an article stating that the Alumni supported the President. As SOG said, "Anything to make Headlines". That's what some people do to sell a paper.

If that paper is printing an outright lie, SUE THEM!!!! If money wasn't taken, then why is A&M repaying it???

I want a consensus from the Pound. Is the paper lying???? post answer here ---------->

Originally posted by Robber
If that paper is printing an outright lie, SUE THEM!!!! If money wasn't taken, then why is A&M repaying it???

I want a consensus from the Pound. Is the paper lying???? post answer here ---------->

As MD stated earlier, things are not what they seem to be. That's all.

BTW, the main media person that started this Media Buzz (Rudy Koski) no longer works in Huntsville, Alabama. Something about pending lawsuits woke his employers up.

robber, I have a letter from the FCC, that states the TV Media cannot be held accountable for what they report. In other words folks can print anything and report anything they want to. My next question was why do we need the FCC?

We know that the next time the TV license is up for approval, we are going to file a protest. When you have only one station reporting and the other three will touch it, we believe something is wrong.

Reporters have to make things interesting.

Mike gave you a outstanding explanation of what took place.

The sad thing is that our folks are submitting all this stuff to the news.

Our Alumni Association lawyers cannot understand why these folks are doing this because it only gives politicians reasons for not providing adequate funding and some other things. That was the short version.

Now all you wanna be smackers this may help you all to understand we are very vocal on this board. We not only as some say the the most vocal group on the board who has not won any major championships, but we take care of business on the hill.

Did we not tell you we are going to take over the SWAC?
Did we not tell you we are going to save the SWAC?

Did we not tell you that SU, JSU and GSU have seen their best days?

Did we not tell you that we will have chicken at the tailgate? opps Spam.

Did we not tell you that the Bayou Classic will be moved to B'ham?

Did we not tell you that the Soul Bowl will be moved to B'ham?

:D

Originally posted by MightyDog
robber, I have a letter from the FCC, that states the TV Media cannot be held accountable for what they report. In other words folks can print anything and report anything they want to. My next question was why do we need the FCC?

Tell that to the good samaritan that did all he could to help out during the '96 Olympic bombing in Atlanta, only to find himself being wrongly accused. Tell that to NBC, CNN and Tom Brokaw who he is getting a crapload of money from for making him look like something that he wasn't.

Are you sure the FCC wrote you that letter.

Thurgood Marshall send help.

robber the DP has answered the mail. JST asked a question and you can see we are on top of it. Just as we will be on Sep 29, 01.

When the tiny tiggers get to Normal by way of Huntsville, we are going to ambush them.

What part of "is the paper lying" do y'all not understand???? Oh, well.

Mighty Dog,

I would advise you not to attend that game on 9/29. It won't be pretty for you puppies.

*in regard to the Gibson issue*

"Aye, I may not like my cousin...but I ONLY talk bad about his azz when around my FAMILY!" ;)
<font size=1> Lil Leroy - 1984</font>

robby:

speaking of 9/29, how many of you clowns from jacktown are planning on coming to Da Hill to witness vindication??? :D

Back