Apple’s Next Event to Be Held on October 4, Starring Its New CEO

bigmanofds

SEPTEMBER 21, 2011 AT 3:03 AM PT

Tuesday, Oct. 4.

That’s the day Apple is currently expected to hold its next big media event, according to sources close to the situation, where the tech giant will unveil the next iteration of its popular iPhone.
While there have been a lot of conflicting reports about the exact timing of the event, including some that pegged it as taking place this month, AllThingsD had previously posted that the rollout of the iPhone 5 would be in October.
While Apple could certainly change its plans anytime, sources said that the Oct. 4 date has been selected by the company to showcase the iPhone 5. Sources added that the plan is now to make the new device available for purchase within a few weeks after the announcement.
And while the iPhone 5 is a much-anticipated handset, the event itself has a lot more importance for Apple than many previous ones.
That’s because it will be newly installed CEO Tim Cook’s first big product introduction, and the place where the public will get a first lengthy impression of him that may well set the tone for Cook’s new role.

http://allthingsd.com/20110921/apple-to-hold-special-event-on-october-4/

Been waiting on that iPhone 5. Think I may wait until Nov/Dec to get it though.

November/December may not be a choice. If Apple actually releases the iPhone 5 by mid October as some reports say, with all this media build-up it’s going to be some people standing in line for this thing for about 4 or 5 days before the actual release date. I want an iPhone 5 but I don’t like or have the time to be standing in a line and I’ll be contract free in November. So, later this year or early 2012 might be a good time for me

Yeah, that's why I'm going to wait. I hate standing in those long lines and really don't have that kinda of time to spend in a store. I'd rather wait a month or two and be in and out of the store in 15 minutes.

If they were smart, they'd do what Verizon did back in Feb and do \have a limited quantity up for pre-sale.

If they were smart, they'd do what Verizon did back in Feb and do \have a limited quantity up for pre-sale.

I am not sure of this but I think they always have a pre-sale or pre-order system for the iPhone…if we are talking about the same thing. But I do wonder if Apple knows demand will be strong so they limit the inventory in the beginning to cause a stir among the masses which makes them get free press coverage and more sells later.

I am not sure of this but I think they always have a pre-sale or pre-order system for the iPhone…if we are talking about the same thing. But I do wonder if Apple knows demand will be strong so they limit the inventory in the beginning to cause a stir among the masses which makes them get free press coverage and more sells later.

na that was a Verizon thing... we do it for all major phones... customers pay in full and they get the phone a day before it actually sells. Weve only done it for about 4 phones. Promising customers they will get it a day before REALLY boost pre sales.

I know d@m well that they did not make iphone 4s a 3g phone. What kind of BULLSH@T is that. They on some BULLSH@T!!!!!!!

I know d@m well that they did not make iphone 4s a 3g phone. What kind of BULLSH@T is that. They on some BULLSH@T!!!!!!!

The company unveils a faster, smarter phone -- and brings Sprint into the fold

Everyone expected the company to announce a new iPhone 5. It was practically a given. But, as the stock's 4% afternoon price drop might indicate, that was not the case.

Instead, Apple announced a souped-up iPhone 4S.

A new battery offers eight hours of 3G talk time and six hours of 3G web browsing.

http://money.msn.com/ways-to-invest/article.aspx?post=29fdf8b5-8266-4908-9018-08584b36c4e3&gt1=33044

Apple just made Samsung a whole lot of money. This has to be a big dissapointment to the Apple crowd.

I’m not going to act like I am not shocked. With all this media attention and I heard the rumors about the 4s being the only phone released about a month ago, but I said to myself after 16 months they are not going to do it…but they did. I really can’t see iPhone 4 owners standing in long lines to get an iPhone 4s. Not even the diehards who will buy just about anything with that Apple logo on it. I want to see iOS 5 before I start calling this a bad move. Apple has never knocked you off your feet with just hardware. But the combination of hardware and software working together in a simplistic form has been their bread and butter. But I wonder if you need the A5 chip that is in the iPhone 4s and the iPad 2 to make iOS 5 run properly. For me personally, right now I have no need for an iPhone 4s. I can do just fine with a free 3Gs and my iPad 1 if iOS 5 runs the same across the board on all compatible iOS devices.

I’m not going to act like I am not shocked. With all this media attention and I heard the rumors about the 4s being the only phone released about a month ago, but I said to myself after 16 months they are not going to do it…but they did. I really can’t see iPhone 4 owners standing in long lines to get an iPhone 4s. Not even the diehards who will buy just about anything with that Apple logo on it. I want to see iOS 5 before I start calling this a bad move. Apple has never knocked you off your feet with just hardware. But the combination of hardware and software working together in a simplistic form has been their bread and butter. But I wonder if you need the A5 chip that is in the iPhone 4s and the iPad 2 to make iOS 5 run properly. For me personally, right now I have no need for an iPhone 4s. I can do just fine with a free 3Gs and my iPad 1 if iOS 5 runs the same across the board on all compatible iOS devices.

Since they are keeping the 3GS in their product line, I guess that's their way of saying that iOS 5 will run fine on an 3GS, albeit slower than on the 4 and the 4s. With them still offering the 3GS, I take it as they think that the 3GS will last some people until at least late 2013 when their 2 year contract is up. By 2013, iOS 6 and iOS7 should be out.

A comparison of the I4 vs I4S

319754-iphone-specs-compared.jpg

More data

Talk Time
Up to 8 hours talk time on 3G

Up to 14 hours talk time on 2G

Up to 6 hours data on 3G

Up to 9 hours data on WiFi

Up to 40 hours audio

Up to 10 hours video

Up to 200 hours on standby

Up to 7 hours talk time on 3G

Up to 14 hours talk time on 2G

Up to 6 hours data on 3G

Up to 10 hours data on WiFi

Up to 40 hours audio

Up to 10 hours video

Up to 300 hours on standby

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
that $99 8 gig Iphone4 for $99....... is about to sell like crazy..... its going to do bring customers who would normally have a feature phone into the smartphone game. GREAT business decision.

I'm going to be one of the one's to go ahead and upgrade.

One of the key reasons is I wanted the improved camera. I use it a lot in my work and this phone has that improvement, so why not make the change? If I can sell my current iPhone 4 for $75, then a new phone for $125 is not a big deal. Suri and all of that other stuff is just icing on the cake for me.

I think I'm still going to get the phone next month.

One of the key reasons is I wanted the improved camera. I use it a lot in my work and this phone has that improvement, so why not make the change? If I can sell my current iPhone 4 for $75, then a new phone for $125 is not a big deal. Suri and all of that other stuff is just icing on the cake for me.

I think its a waisted upgrade....I would save it if I were you.... Honestly I think an Iphone 5 isnt too far behind.

I think its a waisted upgrade....I would save it if I were you.... Honestly I think an Iphone 5 isnt too far behind.

I agree with DAHILL. Unless you like upgrading every year, I'd wait. The 4S is an incremental upgrade at best. Would you have to pay an early upgrade fee or do you get yearly upgrades on your carrier?

I agree with DAHILL. Unless you like upgrading every year, I'd wait. The 4S is an incremental upgrade at best. Would you have to pay an early upgrade fee or do you get yearly upgrades on your carrier?

Some are saying there won't be an iPhone 5 until 2013.

http://techland.time.com/2011/10/05/no-iphone-5-until-2013-cue-the-newest-round-of-rumors/

Like I said, I use it in my work. The convenience of being able to take higher quality pictures with my phone rather than having to carry another camera around is worth it to me. All of the other upgrades are gravy, even if they are incremental.

If the net difference is $125 or so, then I'll just write it off on my taxes and will have made that money back by the time the iPhone 5 rolls around.

I don't think my carrier charges a fee as long as I pay full price for the phone. So, it's sort of a practical decision for me.

http://techland.time.com/2011/10/05/no-iphone-5-until-2013-cue-the-newest-round-of-rumors/

Like I said, I use it in my work. The convenience of being able to take higher quality pictures with my phone rather than having to carry another camera around is worth it to me. All of the other upgrades are gravy, even if they are incremental.

If the net difference is $125 or so, then I'll just write it off on my taxes and will have made that money back by the time the iPhone 5 rolls around.

I don't think my carrier charges a fee as long as I pay full price for the phone. So, it's sort of a practical decision for me.

rule number one of apple.... DONT BELIEVE NO RUMOR YOU HEAR..... there are a thousand Iphone rumors on youtube alone.... all of them are wrong.... People had fake Iphone 5 pics and everything. 2013..... hell na.

The pictures won't be that much higher quality, if at all, if all they changed was the number of megapixels.

Full price for that phone will be like $500-$700 depending on which one you get. You only get the subsidized price($199-$399) when you're up for an upgrade and sign a 2 year contract.

Back