Android dominates smartphone market, study says

You can sell the unlocked phone on eBay. Many times for more money that the new phone costs.

Yep. That same $199 iPhone (with 2 year contract) will cost you $600+ if you bought it from Apple outright with no contract attached, so people up them up for sale for a little less than it costs brand new without a contract.

The thing is, when I got that notice about being eligible for an early upgrade, I didn't ask for it. It appeared as a text message, and I wasn't a long standing AT&T customer. I was a Sprint customer until I got my iPhone. I think they were trying to get people locked in to a 2 year contract before Verizon started carrying the iPhone.

Of course.

If they didn't, people would just switch to another carrier and still get the phone they want.

These carriers make their money from the that monthly $100+ phone bill, not these phones. If you ask, AT&T will work with you on a new phone just to keep you paying that monthly phone bill.

Get what you want but say the iphone doesn't drop calls etc is bogus...I had the iphone 3g, I purchased the 4G for the wife and I have an HTC inspire. Hands down I like the android better. I have a ASUS EE Pad transformer android tablet. I'm good with Android. Apple phones are dated. small screens nothing new.. What apple does well is make the phone easy to use out the box. Its really for non tech folks in my opinion. I listen to all kinds of free music never bought and itunes in my life even with the 3g for 2 years. I phone simply forces to you buy their apps, music etc with little custimization..But it's a pretty little device.

I agree, but like someone else said, techy people buy Apple product too, but they generally cater to non-techy people.

Yep. That same $199 iPhone (with 2 year contract) will cost you $600+ if you bought it from Apple outright with no contract attached, so people up them up for sale for a little less than it costs brand new without a contract.

Right. I was shocked when I found that out. It can actually cost you money to keep the old phone.

You could sell your iPhone 4 on eBay to somebody who didn't qualify for an upgrade for $300 or $400. That would save them $200 to $300. You could get the iPhone 4S for $200 and pocket the difference. AT&T gets to keep me as a customer and everybody is happy. :)

The key is making sure that AT&T would let you upgrade and get the new phone first. I've been a customer for 8 or 9 years and my bill is always paid on time because it is drafted from my account. The person in the AT&T store told me that they would allow me to switch if I asked and the rest was easy.

Right. I was shocked when I found that out. It can actually cost you money to keep the old phone.

You could sell your iPhone 4 on eBay to somebody who didn't qualify for an upgrade for $300 or $400. That would save them $200 to $300. You could get the iPhone 4S for $200 and pocket the difference. AT&T gets to keep me as a customer and everybody is happy. :)

The key is making sure that AT&T would let you upgrade and get the new phone first. I've been a customer for 8 or 9 years and my bill is always paid on time because it is drafted from my account. The person in the AT&T store told me that they would allow me to switch if I asked and the rest was easy.

The thing that trips me out is the unsubsidized price of the iPhone as compared to the price of other iDevices. For example, a 32 gig iPod touch is $299, a 32 gig iPad 3 (wifi only) with a retina display is $599, while the price of an unsubsidized iPhone 4S 32 gig is $749. Is the price of the actual phone hardware in the iPhone THAT expensive to make it cost so much more than other iDevices?

#teamblackberry is here!

BB10.. nuff said! :lol:
:tdown::tdown:

last man standing? LOL

What's the purpose of standing in a sinking ship?? You're still gonna get wet, it's just delaying the inevitable.

Yes I have a BB and although their phones look decent, they cant hold candle to the Droids and iPhones. Not to mention the fact that SW developers dont do anything with RIM in mind and their apps are usually more expensive.

:tdown::tdown:

What's the purpose of standing in a sinking ship?? You're still gonna get wet, it's just delaying the inevitable.

Yes I have a BB and although their phones look decent, they cant hold candle to the Droids and iPhones. Not to mention the fact that SW developers dont do anything with RIM in mind and their apps are usually more expensive.

Blackberry just road the push email and instant messaging horse too long, smartphones are no longer geek gadgets or for the highly technical…they are now consumer electronics. I think the term “smartphone†needs to be drop and we just call them all PCD’s (Personal Communications Devices). Therefore, the big winner in this race will be the company that can deliver a product with a cloud-centricity, media content, and product integration with a tight ecosystem for the masses. Also as I mention earlier brand loyalty, Apple has a fan base that will buy horse shyt as long as that logo is on it. I say this because I don’t get why Apple is considering making a full-blown TV set when margins are so low and people don’t buy TV’s like they buy phones and computers every 2 or 3 years. Also, you already have that hockey puck thing (Apple TV) that can be put on any TV you can buy out of any pawn shop. But if history repeats itself, people will buy it just like they did with the iPad. Many people thought the iPad was not going to work but now it is one of the most must have products in history. I will eventually end up with a 1st or 2nd gen Apple TV set for less money after the 3rd or the 4th is out because it will integrate so well with my other Apple gear. I mostly use my iPhone as an input device to my Mac. I’m not good at typing so it is easier for me to thumb-type on a mobile device which I do mostly anyway.

Back