Android dominates smartphone market, study says

True, the iPhone can do a lot of good things, and I'm not trying to change your mind, but Android can do all of that and more, has been doing it for longer then the iPhone has with some things. Many of the $199 Android phones have an 8 megapixel rear camera just like the iPhone 4S, but those same Android phones have a 2 megapixel front facing camera as compared to the iPhone's front facing camera, which is 1/3 (one third) of a megapixel, LOL!! As far as dropped calls, that's more of a carrier thing. Verizon will be more reliable than that than AT&T in most places.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19047/iphone_4s_vs_android

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you work for Verizon or Android.:swink:

I'm simple and old-fashioned. I use my phone to talk and text; I still use a camera to take pictures ( I know....I need to catch up :lol:).

My cousins up in Milwaukee and Kenosha came down to Arkansas for a reunion we had last year. They have Sprint and a few had Verizon. My sister, mother, daughters, and I all have AT&T. My cousins and aunts couldn't make calls and used mine and my daughters phones. I guess that did have to do with carriers and the location of their towers.

Thank you for the information on Android. A few of my co-workers have the Android and they are quite happy with it!:nod::nod:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you work for Verizon or Android.:swink:

I'm simple and old-fashioned. I use my phone to talk and text; I still use a camera to take pictures ( I know....I need to catch up :lol:).

My cousins up in Milwaukee and Kenosha came down to Arkansas for a reunion we had last year. They have Sprint and a few had Verizon. My sister, mother, daughters, and I all have AT&T. My cousins and aunts couldn't make calls and used mine and my daughters phones. I guess that did have to do with carriers and the location of their towers.

Thank you for the information on Android. A few of my co-workers have the Android and they are quite happy with it!:nod::nod:

LOL, no I don't work for Verizon. My personal cell phone is on AT&T actually. From a personal standpoint, I prefer AT&T because of the rollover minutes, and the free mobile to ANY mobile. I don't think Verizon has that. Most people that I talk to use their cell phones more than their home phone, so the 450 minutes (AT&T's cheapest plan) that I pay for barely get used. I have thousands of rollover minutes. With Verizon, if you call anyone outside of Verizon during the day, you're dipping into your monthly minutes. I must admit though that from coast to coast, Verizon does offer better overall coverage, and have true 4G in many more markets than any other carrier. AT&T converage for me though is just fine where I live.

Both phones are pretty easy to use, but if I had to pick the easiest, I'd give the iPhone a slight edge in ease of use, but Android phones are more advanced and capable in features. If simplicity and ease of use is your main factor, you'd probably be happy with either one.

Last edited:

I have a 4GS and an HTC for personal use both on AT&T and a 4S on Verizon for work. Used to have a Blackberry on Sprint for work. The true test to me of a network is tethering when I am on the road. They are all about the same, with variance between cities. Iphones were like useless bricks in D.C. The network was way too full up there, but since they switched on the new network, I can get 5 gigs on a speed test.

I rarely use my Android. While it is a more powerful tool, it takes more tinkering to set up and get it to do what I want it to do and display how I like. The iphone is more of a ready to use, out of the box experience. And having had a jailbroken 3GS, I would say much of the innovation at Apple comes from the jailbreak community, not Android.

Here's a question for the Android fan's... which manufacture do you like the best??? LG, HTC, Samsung, etc.
(Coincidentally I'm hoping that Verizon does get a Samsung Note [the Galaxy Journal] equivalent this year, I've seen the rumors and the phone isn't as big as it seems on TV, but then again, I do have large hands)

Apple is iPhone and RIM is Blackberry, but there are different phone's that carry the Android OS, which is why the whole argument gets confusing and kind of crazy after a while.

Here's a question for the Android fan's... which manufacture do you like the best??? LG, HTC, Samsung, etc.
(Coincidentally I'm hoping that Verizon does get a Samsung Note [the Galaxy Journal] equivalent this year, I've seen the rumors and the phone isn't as big as it seems on TV, but then again, I do have large hands)

Apple is iPhone and RIM is Blackberry, but there are different phone's that carry the Android OS, which is why the whole argument gets confusing and kind of crazy after a while.

I wish an Android user would answer this one…

If nobody does, then this proves the point…no brand loyalty. One year the Android fateful were all into HTC, this year it’s Samsung, and who knows for next year. One of the reasons Android has such a big market share is because when a new phone comes out or a new version of Android, the average Android user will upgrade. Even though the phone they presently have maybe only a few months old. The increasing market share doesn’t necessarily mean new users, they count activations. As was said earlier, the average iPhone user keeps their phone for a long time before upgrading. I know more people with iPhone 4, 3Gs and 3G then I do with iPhone 4s. I’m not trying to hate on Android, but I can’t see how this business model can be sustained for a long time.

Last edited:

If nobody does, then this proves the point…no brand loyalty. One year the Android fateful were all into HTC, this year it’s Samsung, and who knows for next year. One of the reasons Android has such a big market share is because when a new phone comes out or a new version of Android, the average Android user will upgrade. Even though the phone they presently have maybe only a few months old. The increasing market share doesn’t necessarily mean new users, they count activations. As was said earlier, the average iPhone user keeps their phone for a long time before upgrading. I know more people with iPhone 4, 3Gs and 3G then I do with iPhone 4s. I’m not trying to hate on Android, but I can’t see how this business model can be sustained for a long time.

I've owned one iPhone and one Android phone. I think it's quite the opposite as far as upgrading. I know many people that get a new iPhone each year, hence all the lines outside of the Apple stores on launch day. My current Android phone is made by Samsung because I felt that it was the best phone available at the time of purchase. I have no brand loyalty. Whoever I think is the best in my price range, that's what I'm gonna get. Brand loyalty can lead people to stick with a particular brand, even when they have an inferior product. As far as keeping phones for a long time, I know many people that keep their Android phone for a long time because it's simple to pop in a new battery when the old battery stops taking a charge. With an iPhone, once the battery is dead, the device is useless as a phone. Some Android phones like the Droid Razor and Razor Maxx make it hard to replace the battery, and I don't like those either. HTC, Samsung, and Motorola all make good phones, some models better than other ones.

Well keep your Android and be happy and stop putting these post up every week...it's like you are trying to sell us an android. iDontcare!

Dude, go sit down somewhere. You don't have to click on any of the threads I start. I don't see you posting this shit when people start threads about Apple stuff. And you are the last one to talk when you go on your rants about how good Verizon is. Let anyone say anything negative about Verizon, and you're right there like captain save a ho.

Last edited:
Dude, go sit down somewhere. You don't have to click on any of the threads I start. I don't see you posting this shit when people start threads about Apple stuff.

Come on, man. You have to admit you Android folks get extra happy at the littlest hint that your phone is "winning".

It's kinda sad. It's like your feelings are hurt that iPhone people are happy with their phones. Like you all need the self-esteem boost or something. What is that all about? :noidea:

Dude, go sit down somewhere. You don't have to click on any of the threads I start. I don't see you posting this shit when people start threads about Apple stuff. And you are the last one to talk when you go on your rants about how good Verizon is. Let anyone say anything negative about Verizon, and you're right there like captain save a ho.

I work for Verizon Wireless...Im paid to be a promotor.

Everybody has an opinion, I prefer the Iphone over the many droids out there. I know plenty of people who feel the same way, but every droid phone is not tight as some of yall are making it out to be and thats a fact...

Everybody has an opinion, I prefer the Iphone over the many droids out there. I know plenty of people who feel the same way, but every droid phone is not tight as some of yall are making it out to be and thats a fact...

:tup:Bingo, also I can’t say every version of the iPhone is superior to all Androids either. .. I just prefer iPhones myself.

A lot of my co-workers have the iPhone 4 and a couple are still using their 3G and are very happy with their phones. I was actually talking with one last week who has a 3G and he said the reason he didn't upgrade to 4S was because he phone had almost all the same features as the 4S with a few exceptions. He said that as long as he's had his 3G he hasn't had any trouble with it either. He also said if the iPhone5 is similar to the 4S he would keep his 3G because there would be no need to upgrade because he's happy with the technology on his phone.

Last edited:
I've owned one iPhone and one Android phone. I think it's quite the opposite as far as upgrading. I know many people that get a new iPhone each year, hence all the lines outside of the Apple stores on launch day. My current Android phone is made by Samsung because I felt that it was the best phone available at the time of purchase. I have no brand loyalty. Whoever I think is the best in my price range, that's what I'm gonna get. Brand loyalty can lead people to stick with a particular brand, even when they have an inferior product. As far as keeping phones for a long time, I know many people that keep their Android phone for a long time because it's simple to pop in a new battery when the old battery stops taking a charge. With an iPhone, once the battery is dead, the device is useless as a phone. Some Android phones like the Droid Razor and Razor Maxx make it hard to replace the battery, and I don't like those either. HTC, Samsung, and Motorola all make good phones, some models better than other ones.

Really?

That's interesting, since the iPhone costs so much (4S 16GB = $199, 32GB= $299, 64GB = $399), that doesn't make sense for an iPhone owner, especially a 4S owner to get a new phone every year. And also even with a contract and with the insurance copay being costly, it doesn't make sense for an iPhone owner to get a new phone every year.

I have a friend who works at an AT&T outlet and he said the reason why AT&T has so many people trying to get phones is because Apple provides them with only so many. While Little Rock finally did get an Apple outlet and they have much more in stock, Apple does not give any discount on the phone like AT&T does, so the AT&T is usually full of customers who are trying to get a discount on the iPhone or whatever else smartphone AT&T is offering.

Last edited:
Really?

That's interesting, since the iPhone costs so much (4S 16GB = $199, 32GB= $299, 64GB = $399), that doesn't make sense for an iPhone owner, especially a 4S owner to get a new phone every year. And also even with a contract and with the insurance copay being costly, it doesn't make sense for an iPhone owner to get a new phone every year.

I have a friend who works at an AT&T outlet and he said the reason why AT&T has so many people trying to get phones is because Apple provides them with only so many. While Little Rock finally did get an Apple outlet and they have much more in stock, Apple does not give any discount on the phone like AT&T does, so the AT&T is usually full of customers who are trying to get a discount on the iPhone or whatever else smartphone AT&T is offering.

Check the secondary market for iPhones. (Ebay)

Oftentimes, you can sell your old phone for just as much or more than the new phone would cost. If AT&T will let you upgrade and simply extend your contract, then the actual cost is negligible.

Get what you want but say the iphone doesn't drop calls etc is bogus...I had the iphone 3g, I purchased the 4G for the wife and I have an HTC inspire. Hands down I like the android better. I have a ASUS EE Pad transformer android tablet. I'm good with Android. Apple phones are dated. small screens nothing new.. What apple does well is make the phone easy to use out the box. Its really for non tech folks in my opinion. I listen to all kinds of free music never bought and itunes in my life even with the 3g for 2 years. I phone simply forces to you buy their apps, music etc with little custimization..But it's a pretty little device.

Oftentimes, you can sell your old phone for just as much or more than the new phone would cost. If AT&T will let you upgrade and simply extend your contract, then the actual cost is negligible.

Never thought of Ebay. But the reason I prefer to get my phones at the AT&T outlet is because I've been given a discount for the past 3 phones I've purchased. My current phone now is a Nokia E71x and I bought it back in 2009. The price of the phone was $109.99. The phone came with a $50 rebate and AT&T gave me a $50 discount for being a loyal customer. So, after taxes and the rebate, I paid the sales tax of the phone, which was about $10 or $11.

Its really for non tech folks in my opinion.

Most of the people I know that own an Apple wireless product are some of the techiest people I know. I know of at least two guys I work with who have mini server rooms in their homes. Set up for blu-ray, DVD, and gaming, on almost any TV.

Come on, man. You have to admit you Android folks get extra happy at the littlest hint that your phone is "winning".

It's kinda sad. It's like your feelings are hurt that iPhone people are happy with their phones. Like you all need the self-esteem boost or something. What is that all about? :noidea:

Dude, please. My feelings are not hurt in the least. I had an iPhone for over 2 years and was very happy with it, and I still use it as an iPod touch for the car since the battery doesn't last too long anymore. I have an iPad and I'm happy with it as well. A coworker of mine asked me what I thought about the iPhone 4S because she was due for an upgrade from her iPhone 3GS, and I told her that she should get the iPhone 4S. Nothing wrong with someone stating their opinion, but don't act like nobody on here posts multiple pro-Apple/iPhone/iPad threads quite a bit. Where's your criticism of that? It goes both ways my friend. Don't act like it's a one sided thing lol.

Really?

That's true. Apple does limit it's supply to the carriers to try to get more people into their stores. I got my iPhone 3GS in 2009, the iPhone 4 came out in 2010, and I wasn't due for an upgrade until 2011. All of a sudden, I got a message from AT&T telling me that they bumped up my upgrade eligibility so I could get an iPhone 4, but I passed on it and kept my 3GS. I know people that have owned every single iPhone that's come out, and they pay the early upgrade fees to do so, LOL!!

:tup:Bingo, also I can’t say every version of the iPhone is superior to all Androids either. .. I just prefer iPhones myself.

I agree with that. Some of the cheaper Android phones are total crap. Some of the best and worst phones are Android phones.

That's true. Apple does limit it's supply to the carriers to try to get more people into their stores. I got my iPhone 3GS in 2009, the iPhone 4 came out in 2010, and I wasn't due for an upgrade until 2011. All of a sudden, I got a message from AT&T telling me that they bumped up my upgrade eligibility so I could get an iPhone 4, but I passed on it and kept my 3GS. I know people that have owned every single iPhone that's come out, and they pay the early upgrade fees to do so, LOL!!

Not true.

You can ask that your upgrade eligibility be moved up and the upgrade fees be waived. I know for a fact they do that for some long-standing customers. Every year. :)

That's true. Now that AT&T is voluntarily unlocking iPhones, many of them will end up on eBay or be sold on sites like gazelle.com.

That's true. Now that AT&T is voluntarily unlocking iPhones, many of them will end up on eBay or be sold on sites like gazelle.com.

You can sell the unlocked phone on eBay. Many times for more money that the new phone costs.

Not true.

You can ask that your upgrade eligibility be moved up and the upgrade fees be waived. I know for a fact they do that for some long-standing customers. Every year. :)

The thing is, when I got that notice about being eligible for an early upgrade, I didn't ask for it. It appeared as a text message, and I wasn't a long standing AT&T customer. I was a Sprint customer until I got my iPhone. I think they were trying to get people locked in to a 2 year contract before Verizon started carrying the iPhone.

Back