Android dominates smartphone market, study says

ToPdOg

If you are one of the 104 million people in the US who own a smartphone, chances are it's running Google Android, ComScore said in a report released Tuesday.

ComScore's report focused on mobile use for the three months ending in February.

After surveying more than 30,000 mobile phone subscribers, the company found that Google has continued to grow its share in the US market with 50.1 per cent of all smartphone subscribers using an Android-based phone. In November, Android had 46.9 per cent of the market share.

Apple came in a distant second with 30.2 per cent of the smartphone market, followed by Research in Motion - makers of the once ubiquitous Blackberry phone - which dropped to 13.4 per cent.

ComScore's report also looked at the top manufacturers of mobile devices, including smartphones and non-smart phones.

Samsung captured 25.6 per cent of the market, with LG coming in second with 20.5 per cent. Apple has 13.5 per cent of the market, but that number rose from 11.2 per cent in November.

Source

Of course Android will dominate, they have about 800 different phones(sarcasm) with prices ranging depending on which phone you have. There are a shit load of weak droid phones with companies like Boost Mobile, T-Mobile and C-Spire IJS...

most people do.... I dropped my Iphone in water... had a 4g Android ..... a week later I went back to Iphone.

Looks like you guys ran AT&T away from Android and iOS…with them putting up $150 million to exclusively promote the Windows base Nokia Lumia 900. They did not spend that much on the iPhone. I don’t think Apple sees Android as much of a threat anymore, 80% of Google mobile ad revenue comes from iOS. Android has not made a dime for Google, it’s just a matter of time. What’s going on in Redmen Washington is what Apple needs to worry about.

Looks like you guys ran AT&T away from Android and iOS…with them putting up $150 million to exclusively promote the Windows base Nokia Lumia 900. They did not spend that much on the iPhone. I don’t think Apple sees Android as much of a threat anymore, 80% of Google mobile ad revenue comes from iOS. Android has not made a dime for Google, it’s just a matter of time. What’s going on in Redmen Washington is what Apple needs to worry about.

Apple definitely sees Google as a threat, which is why it was Steve Jobs mission to try to destroy Android with all those stupid patent lawsuits. With over Android having over 50% of the smartphone market, you best believe Apple sees Android as a threat, LOL!!

Apple definitely sees Google as a threat, which is why it was Steve Jobs mission to try to destroy Android with all those stupid patent lawsuits. With over Android having over 50% of the smartphone market, you best believe Apple sees Android as a threat, LOL!!

I'm not sure that's the case.

Apple has always been a niche market provider. They have focused on serving their customers very well throughout their history. They've only had broad market appeal recently with the iPod and iPad. But, Apple has never really cared about dominating the whole market. Just dominating their niche. Which they do very well. And their customers are very loyal.

I seriously doubt anybody at Apple really expect the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to outsell the many Android phones. And it's kind of silly for Android to brag about it.

I'm not sure that's the case.

Apple has always been a niche market provider. They have focused on serving their customers very well throughout their history. They've only had broad market appeal recently with the iPod and iPad. But, Apple has never really cared about dominating the whole market. Just dominating their niche. Which they do very well. And their customers are very loyal.

I seriously doubt anybody at Apple really expect the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to outsell the many Android phones. And it's kind of silly for Android to brag about it.

If you've ever watched any of Apple's keynote speeches, you'd know that typically they spend the first 20-30 minutes bragging about how they dominate a particular market, and put up slides containing all kinds of sales figures related to that. If you read Steve Jobs autobiography, you'd know he had a personal vendetta against Google over Android and was determined to destroy Android. Apple probably doesn't view Android as a threat in the tablet market, but they definitely see Android as a threat in the smartphone market.

Last edited:
90% of the people that buy iphones don't do so for functionality reasons, they do so just to be able to say they have an iphone. Most of them are the corniest people I know.. prime example the whole instagram thing. You got iphone folks crying on twitter for 4 days because they no longer have an "exclusive" app. Quite pathetic to tell you the truth.

If you've ever watched any of Apple's keynote speeches, you'd know that typically they spend the first 20-30 minutes bragging about how they dominate a particular market, and put up slides containing all kinds of sales figures related to that. If you read Steve Jobs autobiography, you'd know he had a personal vendetta against Google over Android and was determined to destroy Android. Apple probably doesn't view Android as a threat in the tablet market, but they definitely see Android as a threat in the smartphone market.

It's obvious. And if you look at their updates from the last 2 years they have basically been carbon copies of Android. The drop down menu, the hold to display "multi-task", voice command aka siri... I could go on all day. They copy and make their fanboys believe they innovate and call it new. When the Evo came out Steve Jobs got on tv and said large screens on smartphones were a waste. Now you have phones with large screens having some of the best sales in the country ala HTC, Motorola and Samsung. Watch how long it'll be before the next iphone version pops up with a bigger screen. And they called 3D a gimmick, yet just pushed through a patent for 3D on the iphone lol. I had a 3G and a 3GS and personally I just didnt and still don't see the appeal. The screen is too small and it's too limited.

You need an app for EVERYTHING. And half the apps we get free they have to pay for. They over charge you and rape the carriers with the subsidies to the point that the carriers make little to nothing on selling iphones, mostly off the contracts. But then again they over price all of their products which is why their profit margins are so high. $799 retail for a phone they paid $150 to produce, and people pay it just to say they have an iphone lol. And it's so funny seeing them on twitter with the Android hate.. they honestly don't even know they don't have 4G yet. They really think the 4GS is a 4G phone. These are the folk that buy iphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's obvious. And if you look at their updates from the last 2 years they have basically been carbon copies of Android. The drop down menu, the hold to display "multi-task", voice command aka siri... I could go on all day. They copy and make their fanboys believe they innovate and call it new. When the Evo came out Steve Jobs got on tv and said large screens on smartphones were a waste. Now you have phones with large screens having some of the best sales in the country ala HTC, Motorola and Samsung. Watch how long it'll be before the next iphone version pops up with a bigger screen. And they called 3D a gimmick, yet just pushed through a patent for 3D on the iphone lol. I had a 3G and a 3GS and personally I just didnt and still don't see the appeal. The screen is too small and it's too limited.

You need an app for EVERYTHING. And half the apps we get free they have to pay for. They over charge you and rape the carriers with the subsidies to the point that the carriers make little to nothing on selling iphones, mostly off the contracts. But then again they over price all of their products which is why their profit margins are so high. $799 retail for a phone they paid $150 to produce, and people pay it just to say they have an iphone lol. And it's so funny seeing them on twitter with the Android hate.. they honestly don't even know they don't have 4G yet. They really think the 4GS is a 4G phone. These are the folk that buy iphones.

bruh... NO cell phone company makes ANY money off of selling phones... NONE... The Iphone is $199... has always been since it came out for 16g. People kill me talking about price... MOST new Androids coming out now are $299.... All the new Androids coming out are more expensive than the Iphone. People like Iphones because simply put THEY WORK. An Iphone will last longer than ANY Android device out there. No force close... no battery pulls.... and you dont have to carry a charger with you everywhere you go. I have an Iphone and an HTC Rezound. If my Rezound is on 4g... I cant get 4 hours in PERIOD.... that defeats the entire porpose. I used that phone for 2 weeks. (anybody want a Rezound with Dre beats holla at me, Ill sell it) I promise if you had my job for ONE DAY.... you would see where Im coming from.

For the record, I think these patent wars are silly also. But I understand the rationale behind them. Back in the 80’s during the Mac-PC wars and Apple was on top then, Apple was demolished by Microsoft. Even though Apple was the first to bring the graphical user interface (GUI) to market, Microsoft copied it and almost ran them out of business. Most people would say the iPod saved Apple from bankruptcy but it was a $150 million investment made by Microsoft in 1997 that saved Apple. Also, Microsoft gave Apple the assurance that they would support Office for the Mac for five years and Apple agreed to drop a long-running lawsuit against Microsoft for copying. Jobs did not want history to repeat itself with the iPhone and Android. Android at first was a Blackberry knock-off but they changed it to resemble the iPhone.

Now it’s a new time, a new user, and a new man in charge which makes a new Apple. All that kill Android talk went in the ground with Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is running Apple. Cook is calling off the dogs and trying to settle with Samsung and the others to end all this madness. Apple is making 75% of the profits in the mobile phone space. Apple doesn’t need to do anything to kill Android. With the fragmentation, low profit margins and the most important of all almost no handset brand loyalty to speak of, Android may just die on its own or will be relegated to the feature phone status or the phone they give to people on welfare. Mr. Softy is the sleeping giant that may be a threat in the future. The Lumia 900 is not much now but I like the direction they are going with it.

Last edited:

For the record, I think these patent wars are silly also. But I understand the rationale behind them. Back in the 80’s during the Mac-PC wars and Apple was on top then, Apple was demolished by Microsoft. Even though Apple was the first to bring the graphical user interface (GUI) to market, Microsoft copied it and almost ran them out of business. Most people would say the iPod saved Apple from bankruptcy but it was a $150 million investment made by Microsoft in 1997 that saved Apple. Also, Microsoft gave Apple the assurance that they would support Office for the Mac for five years and Apple agreed to drop a long-running lawsuit against Microsoft for copying. Jobs did not want history to repeat itself with the iPhone and Android. Android at first was a Blackberry knock-off but they changed it to resemble the iPhone.

Now it’s a new time, a new user, and a new man in charge which makes a new Apple. All that kill Android talk went in the ground with Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is running Apple. Cook is calling off the dogs and trying to settle with Samsung and the others to end all this madness. Apple is making 75% of the profits in the mobile phone space. Apple doesn’t need to do anything to kill Android. With the fragmentation, low profit margins and the most important of all almost no handset brand loyalty to speak of, Android may just die on its own or will be relegated to the feature phone status or the phone they give to people on welfare. Mr. Softy is the sleeping giant that may be a threat in the future. The Lumia 900 is not much now but I like the direction they are going with it.

I agree with most of what you said in the first paragraph. Disagree on some of the second paragraph. Android is not gonna die on it's own, LOL!! Android market share is increasing month by month. Just a few months ago, Android was in the mid-40s in terms of percentage of the smartphone market. Now Android has over 50% market share.

bruh... NO cell phone company makes ANY money off of selling phones... NONE... The Iphone is $199... has always been since it came out for 16g. People kill me talking about price... MOST new Androids coming out now are $299.... All the new Androids coming out are more expensive than the Iphone. People like Iphones because simply put THEY WORK. An Iphone will last longer than ANY Android device out there. No force close... no battery pulls.... and you dont have to carry a charger with you everywhere you go. I have an Iphone and an HTC Rezound. If my Rezound is on 4g... I cant get 4 hours in PERIOD.... that defeats the entire porpose. I used that phone for 2 weeks. (anybody want a Rezound with Dre beats holla at me, Ill sell it) I promise if you had my job for ONE DAY.... you would see where Im coming from.

Dude, where in the world did you come up with the BS that MOST Android phones coming out are $299, LOL!! Give me a list of these phones. The Galaxy Note is $299 which has the biggest screen of any phone on the market, but I challenge to you prove your claim that MOST Android phones coming out are $299, LOL!! Also, it's true, carriers typically don't make money off the phones, but unknown does have a point about Apple. Not only does Apple profit off the sale of the phone to the carrier, the deal with AT&T is that AT&T pay Apple $18 per month per iPhone. That's ridiculous.

The only $199 iPhone 4S is the cheapest one, the 16 gig one. The 32 gig one is $299, and the 64 gig one is $399. How many Android phones are $399? LOL!! The thing is with Android phones is that you can add another 32 gigs for about $25, which gives you a 48 gig phone for about $75 less than a 32 gig iPhone.

Last edited:
90% of the people that buy iphones don't do so for functionality reasons, they do so just to be able to say they have an iphone. Most of them are the corniest people I know.. prime example the whole instagram thing. You got iphone folks crying on twitter for 4 days because they no longer have an "exclusive" app. Quite pathetic to tell you the truth.

Really? Most of the people that I know who buy iPhones do so because of the functionality of the phone; most are in business and say that they can do everything, get so much done with in a touch. Teenagers, yeah, they're hung up on apps, instagrams, but working adults, especially those in business, law, real estate DEPEND on the "functionality" of their iPhones.

Cosign!! I was one of them, LOL!! When I got my iPhone back in 2009, it was mainly to say that I had an iPhone. Now that I've seen the light, no more iPhone for me.

Really? Most of the people that I know who buy iPhones do so because of the functionality of the phone; most are in business and say that they can do everything, get so much done with in a touch. Teenagers, yeah, they're hung up on apps, instagrams, but working adults, especially those in business, law, real estate DEPEND on the "functionality" of their iPhones.

The iPhone is functional, but having owned an iPhone for over 2 years, and now owning an Android phone, Android can do so much more.

I've never owned an iPhone, but I've talked to a lot of owners of iPhones. Some have the iPhone 4S and some are still going on with their iPhone 3G and iphone 4. I even ask folks I see in the stores, some of my church members, alumni members, etc if they like their iPhones and what they like about them. I hear "less dropped calls", "able to get business done from my phone" "has good features that allow you to do more" "games and apps" "I can schedule and plan things from my phone with out having to write them down" "easy to use"......

.....it's time for me to upgrade and I'm strongly leaning toward the iPhone 4S.....that is if the AT&T stores have any. Everytime I go in one, they don't have any of the iPhone 4S.

TRUTH!!

Well keep your Android and be happy and stop putting these post up every week...it's like you are trying to sell us an android. iDontcare!

Asking questions when purchasing anything is a must with me, and yes, when I inquired about the iPhone 4S I was told that no, it did not have 4G at the time I inquired (back in December 2011). I don't know if it has 4G yet because I haven't been in an AT&T store for about 3 weeks. I'm sure many others have asked the same question or viewed the features of the iPhone 4S. Ironically, the phone does not have 4G and still they sold in great numbers.

I supposed there will always be some kind of "hate" going on between these cell phone manufacturers, but all I know is that Apple must be doing something good because so many people buy their iPhones for many reasons. I'm sure Android users are on Twitter harboring as much "hate" as iPhone users. I really don't know......I don't have a Twitter account.:noidea:

People buy what they like and what they want. There are many that chose the Android over the iPhone because they liked certain features. I really see no difference in them from an iPhone customer.

I've never owned an iPhone, but I've talked to a lot of owners of iPhones. Some have the iPhone 4S and some are still going on with their iPhone 3G and iphone 4. I even ask folks I see in the stores, some of my church members, alumni members, etc if they like their iPhones and what they like about them. I hear "less dropped calls", "able to get business done from my phone" "has good features that allow you to do more" "games and apps" "I can schedule and plan things from my phone with out having to write them down" "easy to use"......

.....it's time for me to upgrade and I'm strongly leaning toward the iPhone 4S.....that is if the AT&T stores have any. Everytime I go in one, they don't have any of the iPhone 4S.

True, the iPhone can do a lot of good things, and I'm not trying to change your mind, but Android can do all of that and more, has been doing it for longer then the iPhone has with some things. Many of the $199 Android phones have an 8 megapixel rear camera just like the iPhone 4S, but those same Android phones have a 2 megapixel front facing camera as compared to the iPhone's front facing camera, which is 1/3 (one third) of a megapixel, LOL!! As far as dropped calls, that's more of a carrier thing. Verizon will be more reliable than that than AT&T in most places.

Most of Apple's new iPhone features feel like the company playing catch-up. Once again, the new iPhone is a step forward within Apple's world -- but outside of that walled garden, it's worlds behind.

Don't forget: Apple's iPhone still lacks many features Android handsets provide. It has no support for external storage, no real file access, and a very limited, locked-down approach to customization. You're still stuck with those sleepy old static rows of icons on your home screens as opposed to dynamic, interactive widgets and a practically limitless choice of personalized launcher utilities. You can't use useful keyboard replacements like Swype, because Apple doesn't allow them. There's no integrated turn-by-turn GPS navigation. And I won't even get into the whole Flash debacle.

Most of all, Apple's iPhone continues to lack the variety, choice, and customization other platforms provide. With an iPhone, you get that arguably dated 3.5-inch-sized display -- and that's that. More so than ever, Apple's restrictive, we-know-what's-best-for-you approach is feeling tired and stale, and the ongoing trends in smartphone market share -- both within the U.S. and globally -- seem to reflect that.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19047/iphone_4s_vs_android

Back