Alumni Chapters

Example:
If 20 people can give only $20 a month, dont' you think by them working together, collectively, is better than you working by yourself?
$400 vs. $20.

Yes, sometimes you can do things on your own...but that doesn't make it right or the better choice. Bottom line, purpose of local Alumni chapters is to support the National Alumni Association and the university through financial support and getting information about the university out to the community. Now, if an individual has that much money to drop ($400/month) then by all means do it. But remember, it shouldnt' and doesn't stop with money. what about the local college fairs? One person can't do all that. Why should he/she want to?

"Dog and Pony Show"!? smh

To each his/her own...
Exactly, to each his/her own...you do you and let me do me. Everyone has choices and a right to spend their money how they see fit.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Kneegress you are right down the street. I have to take two expressways in the middle of rush hour traffic. Even when you lived in Harvey you were closer than me.

LOL, alright I can get with that!! LMAO

I just can't see JSU folks acting like SU and UAPB grads.

From what I heard...and I wasn't in the chapter then but NT was...there was one Jacksonian that acted a FOOL with the Chicago Alumni Chapter. However, the chapter quickly got rid of that person. LOL

Every now and then heads bump between older and younger members with just the way stuff should be done. But that's slowly changing too...it's all about learning to work together.

Younger/newer members can't expect to just come right in and change stuff when they haven't proven themselves. If a person doesn't like how the fundraiser is being done...it's not going to change in one year. Why? B/c people that have been in the chapter don't know you well enough to trust you to change what they have been doing for years...shucks DECADES!! lol

I had to learn that.

From what I heard...and I wasn't in the chapter then but NT was...there was one Jacksonian that acted a FOOL with the Chicago Alumni Chapter. However, the chapter quickly got rid of that person. LOL

Every now and then heads bump between older and younger members with just the way stuff should be done. But that's slowly changing too...it's all about learning to work together.

Younger/newer members can't expect to just come right in and change stuff when they haven't proven themselves. If a person doesn't like how the fundraiser is being done...it's not going to change in one year. Why? B/c people that have been in the chapter don't know you well enough to trust you to change what they have been doing for years...shucks DECADES!! lol

I had to learn that.

I am happy for you that you choose to be active, but already I put in my work literally (going to a college fair on a weeknight to Homewood-Flossmoor and I live 5200 west) and I'm content with that. I won't put the chapter's business out there that I don't agree with or attitudes I choose not to deal with. I'll just go to a fundraisers every once and a while and call it a day.

Exactly, to each his/her own...you do you and let me do me. Everyone has choices and a right to spend their money how they see fit.

Ditto!!!!!

What the fugg I look like letting a outsider tell me how to spend my money.... Hell the first thing some people ask is "CAN YOU WRITE ME A CHECK" (TURN OFF)........ This has happened on many occasions and Loyal Tigress could vouch for me on that..... Don't ask me for my money when i'm trying to get a seat to a game on a bus.... I just don't do CLICKS!!!!!

Hell I can give money to students on my own. I plan on purchasing one or two students books in the fall( Taking Oprah BIG GIVE LEAD) and walk on campus and talk with a few folks and determine after that who i'll suprise with textbooks.... I DON'T NEED NO ALUMNI CHAPTER TO DO THAT.....I am not knocking them but they just seems to be a hassle sometimes and that is from the outside looking in.... Hell the older Houston Grambling Alumni Chapter President asked me to join at Exxon station... I went and sat with them for one meeting and told myself NOPE.............I can give back without being a part of the alumni chapter. I've tried but when hearing about problems from people already on the inside why would I JOIN...... Hell it's like another job offering you a position and you know already from others that you may CATCH HELL WHEN YOU START..... Now why would I leave somewhere were I am at least comfortable to go into CHAOS......... NOT

Braveman said it best they seem like COUNRTY CLUBS for the EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!

I'm not in an alumni chapter now, but you would think I was. I'm a die hard Alcornite and I give a lot of time and effort to make sure that Alcorn is represented in this area. I give money back to the University and although I may prefer my money to be used to help the althetic department, I have to be honest with myself. Will my $100.00 actually make a difference in the Athtletic budget?? That's why I prefer to give to the Foundation. They'll determine where it goes. Whatever way they deem fit to use it doesn't concern to me. The line item on my tax deductions will be the same. As long as the money is utilized correctly. :tup:

I'm moving, so I'll join the NE Mississippi Chapter :tup:

I had to learn that.

I think that is most people's problems. I keep hearing about THEM and what THEY do but they don't see the big picture. You have to know the root function of an alumni chapter. What these people are saying is the equivalent of people saying, I give money to the needy, do volunteer work but don't go to church. If everyone thought like some of these people, there would be no alumni chapters and our schools would fall. I don't think they see the real damage they are doing. LOL Why put money in one childs hand intead of 10? :confused: We don't even have dues in the GaTech Alumni Association, every graduate is a member and gets ALL materials, can vote, etc.... that is because we give and KNOW how to give to the right place (the school). We don't have people walking around with every excuse in the book. We make yearly pledges and they even call us, if our donations are late BUT I was the donations chair two years ago for this whole area from Delaware to middle New Jersey and it was the easiest JOB I ever had. Send out letters, one e-mail and the goal was met!! Seriously...you don't have to beg them for money. A lot of HBCUs don't even have fully staffed alumni offices, yet alums want to complain when they don't get the help they need or certain materials. sheesh! Tech has a lady who flies around to country to alumni events. Everytime we go to see Thadeous Young play, her azz is up here but she is the glue that holds our associations together. We just focus on fun and we end up giving money before we know it.

I think that is most people's problems. I keep hearing about THEM and what THEY do but they don't see the big picture. You have to know the root function of an alumni chapter. What these people are saying is the equivalent of people saying, I give money to the needy, do volunteer work but don't go to church. If everyone thought like some of these people, there would be no alumni chapters and our schools would fall. I don't think they see the real damage they are doing. LOL Why put money in one childs hand intead of 10? :confused: We don't even have dues in the GaTech Alumni Association, every graduate is a member and gets ALL materials, can vote, etc.... that is because we give and KNOW how to give to the right place (the school). We don't have people walking around with every excuse in the book. We make yearly pledges and they even call us, if our donations are late BUT I was the donations chair two years ago for this whole area from Delaware to middle New Jersey and it was the easiest JOB I ever had. Send out letters, one e-mail and the goal was met!! Seriously...you don't have to beg them for money. A lot of HBCUs don't even have fully staffed alumni offices, yet alums want to complain when they don't get the help they need or certain materials. sheesh! Tech has a lady who flies around to country to alumni events. Everytime we go to see Thadeous Young play, her azz is up here but she is the glue that holds our associations together. We just focus on fun and we end up giving money before we know it.

Sounds like she makes the association fun.. and that's what I've always thought an Association was supposed to be. If HBCUs would drop the fake "country club routine" and get serious, we'll be okay. Most of our old Alumni want to talk about "Well, when so-and-so was chair out there, things were good". University business may have been much better, but so was the level of inflation. 10 dollars in the day can't buy two meals now, let alone any books. Schools like Georgia Tech, Illinois, and many others talk in milliions, while we're justifying where a few thousand may go.

I'm so glad to see HBCUs with capital campaigns and getting Alumni "pumped" about giving. It's a win win!

:nod: What I do, collaboratively, with my chapter and, personally, for my school speaks for itself. It's not an option for ME.

Ditto!!!!!

What the fugg I look like letting a outsider tell me how to spend my money.... Hell the first thing some people ask is "CAN YOU WRITE ME A CHECK" (TURN OFF)........ This has happened on many occasions and Loyal Tigress could vouch for me on that..... Don't ask me for my money when i'm trying to get a seat to a game on a bus.... I just don't do CLICKS!!!!!

Hell I can give money to students on my own. I plan on purchasing one or two students books in the fall( Taking Oprah BIG GIVE LEAD) and walk on campus and talk with a few folks and determine after that who i'll suprise with textbooks.... I DON'T NEED NO ALUMNI CHAPTER TO DO THAT.....I am not knocking them but they just seems to be a hassle sometimes and that is from the outside looking in.... Hell the older Houston Grambling Alumni Chapter President asked me to join at Exxon station... I went and sat with them for one meeting and told myself NOPE.............I can give back without being a part of the alumni chapter. I've tried but when hearing about problems from people already on the inside why would I JOIN...... Hell it's like another job offering you a position and you know already from others that you may CATCH HELL WHEN YOU START..... Now why would I leave somewhere were I am at least comfortable to go into CHAOS......... NOT

Braveman said it best they seem like COUNRTY CLUBS for the EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!
That's true, but like I also said before...some alumni chapters are better than others. I'm not one to tell folks what they should and should not do b/c I don't know folks' financial situations. I do what I can and that's really all I'm responsible for. What everyone else does is their business. There are lots of alumnus that give back heavily & freely. Some do it on a consistent basis and others do it when they can. Both are good enough for me. If everyone at least did something, sometimes...it helps the schools and the kids. Folks need to also realize it's not just about your money, but your time and efforts are needed as well.

Once again, my motto is do what you can, when you can.

Maybe it depends on the area, but in the Ville you get a hell of a show.

Dude, that's because everything about you guys are division-division-division! Two of every freaking thing. Two Alumni Chapters, Two Athletic Clubs, Two Dang Mascots! Pull the resources together and get something done.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was active with the Southern Alumni Chapter here in Atlanta a few years back. It wasn't a bad experience overall, but I can't honestly say that I got anything out of it either. Mainly, I ended up dealing with a lot of older alums who either probed too much into my business or were out of touch with what was happening on campus at the time. I was only about 3 years out of undergrad at the time and the majority of the chapter graduated in the 70s and 80s. I still get emails and invites, but since they have changed times their meetings now conflict with my fraternity meetings.

On another note, I notice that a lot of people are quick to compare our alumni chapters with PWCs when you are often dealing with a completely different mindset altogether. Taking the money/giving back aspect out of the equation, PWCs tend to have more of alumni networks in place. In short, while PWCs alums are quick to let recent grads or fellow alums know about job opportunities or help in other ways, we tend to be more on the "I got mine, you just have to get yours" tip. This may sound selfish, but it is essentially foolish to expect folks who are 0-10 years out of undergrad to freely join and/or give money to chapters without getting some sort of return on the investment of their time and money.

Back