Alumni Chapters

SimplyRedd

Southernite
Who's active in their Alumni Chapters?

I am active with the Bastrop-Morehouse Chapter of the Southern University Alumni Federation

No, not that active in the AAMU Alumni chapter.

I dont have the time to be active in everything.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Why did I just get an email regarding a meeting on the Alumni chapter just now.

That is so weird.

:xeye:

I'm financial with National Alumni Association and the Maroon and Gray chapter. As far as being able to be active, I haven't had the opportunity to go to any events or meetings because of my work schedule...I will always be financial and if my work schedule permits, I will ALWAYS be active...

JUST FROM MY OBSERVATION! WHY IS IT THAT AN INDIVIDUAL WILL SUPPORT THEIR SORORITY OR FRATERNITY CHAPTERS BEFORE THEY SUPPORT THEIR ALMAMATER?:smh::smh:

JUST FROM MY OBSERVATION! WHY IS IT THAT AN INDIVIDUAL WILL SUPPORT THEIR SORORITY OR FRATERNITY CHAPTERS BEFORE THEY SUPPORT THEIR ALMAMATER?:smh::smh:

:noidea:
The way I see it; if it weren't for my education at GSU; I wouldn't have been able to pledge, so therefore I'm involved in both and GSU definitely has a priority in the Fall (football season). Never know a person situation though.
I know many that are financial, but we NEVER see them at meetings. Some want to come to meetings and be involved, but can't afford it. Bottom line, people will spend their money/time on what they want to. I know many who will buy a $500 handbag or spend $500 on alcohol a month, but won't get active in their alma mater. :retard: It's whatever they choose as their priority.

I'm active in AKA and the the GSU alum chapter in my area.

I will readily admit I am not active in the local DFW JSU Alumni Chapter...

I pay dues to the JSUNAA but not the local chapter....

I am VERY active in the Chicago Alumni ChapterS of both Jackson State University and North Carolina A&T State University.

I'm also active in the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Joliet Area/South Suburban Alumnae Chapter.
I hesitate to say I'm VERY active in my Delta Chapter b/c them Sorors be giving it ALL!! I do a lot, but daymn....them older Sorors aint no joke!!

LOL

But yeah, I have no life. I kick it...don't get me wrong. But I was raised to always incorporate "giving back" into my schedule.

I'm more active with my school chapters than with Delta, mostly b/c I know Delta business will get handled.

My goals for 2008 are:
Jackson State University- get at least 20 new, preferably YOUNG, grads involved. Financial is always great but sometimes people can't afford it. So just to get them to come out and support is great.

North Carolina A&T State Universtiy- get our chapter back to where it was 3 years ago. Have at least 20 people ACTIVELY involved in the chapter.

So far, so good!!

I am not about CLICKS so it is very hardddd for me to get involved... Now I will give a donation to help out or even support.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm active in the Huntsville Chapter (Past Officer) & JSUNAA . (Life Member)

Also, active with Psi Kappa Kappa Chapter (Officer) & Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. (Life Member)

I was active with the UAPB Alumni Chapter, but I can to the conclusion that there are some UAPB alumni who are going to have to DIE in order for things to change.

At one point about 4 years ago, I joined the chapter and was instrumental in getting several young alumni involved. There were many young bright minds in there with some explosive ideas. We even started having monthly mixers at a local evening spot on Friday nights. But, when it came down to CHANGE that would affect the chapter and school, the old heads simply were not feeling it.

We wanted to get chartered buses from Dallas to all UAPB games in the area. We wanted each member to buy season football tickets and when you couldn't go, then it could be given to a high school student in Dallas and they could ride the bus to the game. We started a eNewsLetter, and got rid of paper mail.

What took the cake was when the university needed money and asked the alumni chapters to come to her aid, the older members got upset when we asked "WHY, WHAT, WHEN, & WHERE"?

Their response is "Mother needs us, we don't need to know WHY"!

F-THAT!

I am VERY active in the Chicago Alumni ChapterS of both Jackson State University and North Carolina A&T State University.

I'm also active in the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Joliet Area/South Suburban Alumnae Chapter.
I hesitate to say I'm VERY active in my Delta Chapter b/c them Sorors be giving it ALL!! I do a lot, but daymn....them older Sorors aint no joke!!

LOL

But yeah, I have no life. I kick it...don't get me wrong. But I was raised to always incorporate "giving back" into my schedule.

I'm more active with my school chapters than with Delta, mostly b/c I know Delta business will get handled.

My goals for 2008 are:
Jackson State University- get at least 20 new, preferably YOUNG, grads involved. Financial is always great but sometimes people can't afford it. So just to get them to come out and support is great.

North Carolina A&T State Universtiy- get our chapter back to where it was 3 years ago. Have at least 20 people ACTIVELY involved in the chapter.

So far, so good!!

AG-GIE Pride! I'm in Peoria and there are plenty of both A&T and JSU grads down here who could join those chapters. I was going to joing Alcorn and A&T's Chicago Alumni Chapters, but I'm moving..... (dang....)

I may be politically incorrect in saying this, but from my experience with a lot of HBCU alumni chapters, they are our "Country Clubs." We treat these organizations like they are the "exclusive". They are "exclusive" but not for the sake of being high-society. Usually, events are not heavily publicized and the same ole folks lead them. We have to be humble and about our University's business and propelling them for greater things. I think that we'll get there, especially with the Round-up sites. Ideas are flying all over the place!

EXCUSES-EXCUSES!!!!!

Make a difference in the life of a child and your school, stopping making excuses. Start your own scholarship, start with a $500 book scholly. No one can stop you from helping, not the old heads, not your location, not the country club whatever, ONLY YOU can stop YOU.

I was active with the UAPB Alumni Chapter, but I can to the conclusion that there are some UAPB alumni who are going to have to DIE in order for things to change.

At one point about 4 years ago, I joined the chapter and was instrumental in getting several young alumni involved. There were many young bright minds in there with some explosive ideas. We even started having monthly mixers at a local evening spot on Friday nights. But, when it came down to CHANGE that would affect the chapter and school, the old heads simply were not feeling it.

We wanted to get chartered buses from Dallas to all UAPB games in the area. We wanted each member to buy season football tickets and when you couldn't go, then it could be given to a high school student in Dallas and they could ride the bus to the game. We started a eNewsLetter, and got rid of paper mail.

What took the cake was when the university needed money and asked the alumni chapters to come to her aid, the older members got upset when we asked "WHY, WHAT, WHEN, & WHERE"?

Their response is "Mother needs us, we don't need to know WHY"!

F-THAT!

...and ya'll left because of that? Change will never come until people decide to stick it out. Fortunately, I have never encountered that with a chapter. In the Hattiesburg, MS chapter you sorta had a young vs. old battle but the youngins hung in there. You all should not have stopped becasue of that. Just cast your vote and move on to the next item.

I'm active with local, we have about 20 members with 10 who are active. I tell you what it's like pulling teeth getting people to donate money. I told them something is wrong when it takes our group a whole year to raise $2000 for a scholarship. :smh: Between 10 people that's $200 for the year, hell we throw away more money on BS than that.

I may be politically incorrect in saying this, but from my experience with a lot of HBCU alumni chapters, they are our "Country Clubs." We treat these organizations like they are the "exclusive". They are "exclusive" but not for the sake of being high-society. Usually, events are not heavily publicized and the same ole folks lead them. We have to be humble and about our University's business and propelling them for greater things. I think that we'll get there, especially with the Round-up sites. Ideas are flying all over the place!

...and ya'll left because of that? Change will never come until people decide to stick it out. Fortunately, I have never encountered that with a chapter. In the Hattiesburg, MS chapter you sorta had a young vs. old battle but the youngins hung in there. You all should not have stopped becasue of that. Just cast your vote and move on to the next item.

We had those issues with the Chicago Alumni Chapter here. THe older members not wanting to let go of the "power" and try different ideas. I understood their point b/c the younger members weren't active, weren't coming to meetings, and weren't supporting events. However, I continued to tell them that the things being planned are BORING and too expensive. Especially for someone that is on a tight budget and/or aren't interested in the event. Hell, I was an officer and didn't want to spend money on the boring events we were hosting. Finally, through voting, the prices for events were lowered. A small victory. LOL

Now, as I stated above, I"m more invovled with getting younger people involved and doing more "fun" events that will also raise money.

There were 2 meetings where, after I went PLUMB DUMB OFF on a graduate from the class of '56 (she irks my fugging nerves), that I almost quit. But never did. To her, no matter how much I did with student recruitment, going to college fairs, working with different committees, etc.
If I wasn't selling a great number of tickets then I wasn't doing enough.
I told her, "I resent the fact that you are implying that I"m not doing enough. I'm going to tell you ONE TIME only stay out of my pockets. I will not tell you again. I don't see you offering to refund me for gas money spent when I'm travelling all over Chicago doing these college fairs". Yeah, she and I only smile at each other. She can Kick Rocks.
Now that we are doing "different" things that attract younger Alums they pretty much told us, don't be offended if we aren't there, it's just not our thing. I said...ditto for your events. LOL

Anther older member, he's probably a class of 60+(something) he always says, "selling should be easy just simply tell them it's to help a young black child go to college". Well, this other member, class of '94 (very active) and I try to tell him....in the past, that was enough. But there are so many ways for people to give back to black kids, ie fraternities, sororities, other universities, other organizations. It's not that easy to always sell tickets.

We're working on it though. We just tried a different angle.
Basically now we let them have their events and we do ours.

We had those issues with the Chicago Alumni Chapter here. THe older members not wanting to let go of the "power" and try different ideas. I understood their point b/c the younger members weren't active, weren't coming to meetings, and weren't supporting events. However, I continued to tell them that the things being planned are BORING and too expensive. Especially for someone that is on a tight budget and/or aren't interested in the event. Hell, I was an officer and didn't want to spend money on the boring events we were hosting. Finally, through voting, the prices for events were lowered. A small victory. LOL

Now, as I stated above, I"m more invovled with getting younger people involved and doing more "fun" events that will also raise money.

There were 2 meetings where, after I went PLUMB DUMB OFF on a graduate from the class of '56 (she irks my fugging nerves), that I almost quit. But never did. To her, no matter how much I did with student recruitment, going to college fairs, working with different committees, etc.
If I wasn't selling a great number of tickets then I wasn't doing enough.
I told her, "I resent the fact that you are implying that I"m not doing enough. I'm going to tell you ONE TIME only stay out of my pockets. I will not tell you again. I don't see you offering to refund me for gas money spent when I'm travelling all over Chicago doing these college fairs". Yeah, she and I only smile at each other. She can Kick Rocks.
Now that we are doing "different" things that attract younger Alums they pretty much told us, don't be offended if we aren't there, it's just not our thing. I said...ditto for your events. LOL

Anther older member, he's probably a class of 60+(something) he always says, "selling should be easy just simply tell them it's to help a young black child go to college". Well, this other member, class of '94 (very active) and I try to tell him....in the past, that was enough. But there are so many ways for people to give back to black kids, ie fraternities, sororities, other universities, other organizations. It's not that easy to always sell tickets.

We're working on it though. We just tried a different angle.
Basically now we let them have their events and we do ours.

AS YOUNGER ALUMNS, WE NEED TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE NOW...I AM CURRENTLY CHAPTER PRESIDENT OF THE ALCORN'S ALUMNI CHAPTER IN ATL AND MAN I TELL YOU....IT'S LIKE PULLING TEETH TO GET THE YOUNGER ONES INVOLVED....BUT JUST LIKE ANY OTHER HBCU WE DONT GIVE WHEN WE SHOULD.....HECK IT'S NOTHING FOR THE "WHITE" YOUNGER ALUMNS TO GIVE TO THEIR ALMA MATER....WHEN WILL WE WAKE AND SEE THAT WE CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE BY JOINING THE ALUMNI CHAPTERS....BUT WE WONDER AND POUT WHEN WERE NOT DOING GOOD WHEN WE SHOULD.....JUST ASK YOURSELF..."WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MAKE THE DIFFERENCE"

I have a family with 3 kids to raise. I don't have the time to waste licking 200 envelopes, writing addresses on envelops, calling alumni, etc. If you can't get with the program of e-mail, then do it your way. Secondly, I believe in accountability. If someone at the university jacked up some money, I'm not the one to donate my money to cover up the jack up. If I do, then I want someone held accountable. If not, I'll hold them accountable by keeping my money in my pocket. Our Alumni believe that people are allowed to mess up and the alumni comes to the rescue. I'm not for that.

I tried, but I decided it was nothing but a waste of my time dealing with the chapter, as did many graduates in my era.

Back