Alumni Chapters

I have a family with 3 kids to raise. I don't have the time to waste licking 200 envelopes, writing addresses on envelops, calling alumni, etc. If you can't get with the program of e-mail, then do it your way. Secondly, I believe in accountability. If someone at the university jacked up some money, I'm not the one to donate my money to cover up the jack up. If I do, then I want someone held accountable. If not, I'll hold them accountable by keeping my money in my pocket. Our Alumni believe that people are allowed to mess up and the alumni comes to the rescue. I'm not for that.

I tried, but I decided it was nothing but a waste of my time dealing with the chapter, as did many graduates in my era.

Bruh you do what is BEST for you.... If they wanna join, stay in, etcccc then so be it... Why do folks think other need to stick it out because they have..... Hell I can donate and pay dues but not be active in going to the meetings of the MINDS... FOLKS LET'S BE REAL SOMETIMES WE GOTTA DO WHAT IS BEST FOR US..... Hell the Houston Chapter has asked me to join when I see them but GUD has not made his way over there.... I don't like clicks and if I am not involved and hear things from a VERY VERY RELIABLE SOURCE then why go and be a part of that NONSENSE....

Take care of the family bruh...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I see your arse over here reading.... Comment bruh you should have the best insight on this topic.... Do you ever run into any issues??? I hear that most LOVE you so not sure if you have many issues or not... NOT full details just some....

I see your arse over here reading.... Comment bruh you should have the best insight on this topic.... Do you ever run into any issues??? I hear that most LOVE you so not sure if you have many issues or not... NOT full details just some....

I'll hold my comments for a few more posts. I truly hope a particular TSPN Poster is reading this thread.

I have a family with 3 kids to raise. I don't have the time to waste licking 200 envelopes, writing addresses on envelops, calling alumni, etc. If you can't get with the program of e-mail, then do it your way. Secondly, I believe in accountability. If someone at the university jacked up some money, I'm not the one to donate my money to cover up the jack up. If I do, then I want someone held accountable. If not, I'll hold them accountable by keeping my money in my pocket. Our Alumni believe that people are allowed to mess up and the alumni comes to the rescue. I'm not for that.

I tried, but I decided it was nothing but a waste of my time dealing with the chapter, as did many graduates in my era.

It's just called common ground man. In Kappa, my chapter complains about the way we do things but change does not happen overnight. I believe that had ya'll hung in there, things would be getting better. Those alums seem to be hurting UAPB and in a way, you all let them.

It's just called common ground man. In Kappa, my chapter complains about the way we do things but change does not happen overnight. I believe that had ya'll hung in there, things would be getting better. Those alums seem to be hurting UAPB and in a way, you all let them.

I agree, when I 1st started with my alumni. We use to have a scholarship banquet to award the scholarship. Well the banquet cost(we sold tickets to try and cover the cost) more than the scholarships we were giving. I had to fight with them to see that this was just @ss backwards. How you going to spend all that money at a hotel with catered food and only give $2000 in scholarship money. But that was the way they had always done things.

I support my alumni chapter more then paid members :lmao:<!-- END TEMPLATE: navbar_link -->

I agree, when I 1st started with my alumni. We use to have a scholarship banquet to award the scholarship. Well the banquet cost(we sold tickets to try and cover the cost) more than the scholarships we were giving. I had to fight with them to see that this was just @ss backwards. How you going to spend all that money at a hotel with catered food and only give $2000 in scholarship money. But that was the way they had always done things.

Man, we have a GALA every December and spend at least 10x the cost for the Gala than the scholarship. I thought it was something to keep up with the Jones. I couldn't believe it. Renting a banquet room and spending the night in a hotel that is only minutes away from my house. HUH?

I'm very action oriented. I would rather donate money directly to a scholarship fund and let the alumni chapter have the GALAs, golf tourney, etc.

Your money is all they want anyway...if you're not able to donate the way you'd like, they talk about your ass anyway. :emlaugh: I do what I can, when I can.

...I went to JSU!

TP,

I think we had the good case of having a GREAT chapter in ATL that had a great mix of young and old. Everyone was willing to listen to each other and respect everyone's views.

Now I have not been active in the DC chapter due to my schduedle and traveling but I do give my loot.

....schools will keep on moving if you active or not active; giving money or not giving money.

Folks do what they "want" to do.

Do you.

"Snake"

....schools will keep on moving if you active or not active; giving money or not giving money.

Folks do what they "want" to do.

Do you.

"Snake"

I either don't get your point or don't agree with you. Alcorn's new AD is asking for 1000 people to give 250 dollars. At a PWC, the money he is looking for would be collected in a week. We keep doing a lot with a little but why should we have to keep doing that? Everyone giving a little money and a little effort equals a lot of money and lot of effort.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Your money is all they want anyway...if you're not able to donate the way you'd like, they talk about your ass anyway. :emlaugh: I do what I can, when I can.

Exactly! They want your money, but not to help potential students. We have several students enrolled from the DFW area and not one alumni could tell you if there is a DFW club at UAPB and could give a ratz azz because all they want to do is brag on that they organized a golf charity event that 5 people came to. Now, if the idea of sending a care package to every DFW student during finals came up, they would look at you like a dog s h ! t t e d on you.

My view is being a member of the alumni association is like having a country club membership. It is just for show.

Exactly! They want your money, but not to help potential students. We have several students enrolled from the DFW area and not one alumni could tell you if there is a DFW club at UAPB and could give a ratz azz because all they want to do is brag on that they organized a golf charity event that 5 people came to. Now, if the idea of sending a care package to every DFW student during finals came up, they would look at you like a dog s h ! t t e d on you.

My view is being a member of the alumni association is like having a country club membership. It is just for show.

Well,I will say that I have not had that experience with the three JSU alumni groups that I have been associated. EVERY one had young and old and I only saw ONE major clash and that was because the biggest fundraiser was on a Sunday and the older ladies did not like that, so they held back all the money they raised but they finally gave in because their blue blood would not let them do JSU like that...(because at the end of the day, it's about JSU, not the people in the alumni association). But to hold the event was cost effective. They barely spent any money and the goal was to raise money for scholarships, which they did. Here in Philly, most of us are young. We only have about 20 members but we range from 2007 to about 1970 grads. The bulk of us are 90's graduates tho.

Some alumni organizations are better than others...that I do know, but we can all stand to get better in certain areas.

My issue has mainly been financial, so that's why I say I give what I can when I can. I have assisted the alumni chapter w/events in the past, as well. But I don't knock folks who can't give on a regular basis because I don't know that person's situation. Hell, some folks are struggling trying to make ends meet, so they can't always give back to their schools, as they'd like. For those who can...to GOD be the glory and may He continue to bless you. :tup:

I'm all for helping any student I can, in whatever way I can and that's not always done through an alumni chapter. Sometimes, you can do things on your own, and folks never know of it. I know several folks like this, including myself.

Some alumni organizations are better than others...that I do know, but we can all stand to get better in certain areas.

My issue has mainly been financial, so that's why I say I give what I can when I can. I have assisted the alumni chapter w/events in the past, as well. But I don't knock folks who can't give on a regular basis because I don't know that person's situation. Hell, some folks are struggling trying to make ends meet, so they can't always give back to their schools, as they'd like. For those who can...to GOD be the glory and may He continue to bless you. :tup:

I'm all for helping any student I can, in whatever way I can and that's not always done through an alumni chapter. Sometimes, you can do things on your own, and folks never know of it. I know several folks like this, including myself.
You said a mouthful. I'll pass on the dog and pony show. I don't do bourgie ninjas. I'll pass. If you got to brag on it then it's not from your heart.

You said a mouthful. I'll pass on the dog and pony show. I don't do bourgie ninjas. I'll pass. If you got to brag on it then it's not from your heart.

As soon as I get my receipt from WINN DIXIE for those porkchops, then Ill give them some money.

:upset:

Ya'll trippin. The ones I have been in have helped JSU and that has been our goal. Even the GaTech alumni is welcoming. I don't have the money of half of Tech alums. I am not in the upper tier of donors nor am I in the T club (for athletics) but they accept my yearly donation and I don't miss "nan" Tech activity here...and I go to Tech stuff in ATL.

Example:
If 20 people can give only $20 a month, dont' you think by them working together, collectively, is better than you working by yourself?
$400 vs. $20.

Yes, sometimes you can do things on your own...but that doesn't make it right or the better choice. Bottom line, purpose of local Alumni chapters is to support the National Alumni Association and the university through financial support and getting information about the university out to the community. Now, if an individual has that much money to drop ($400/month) then by all means do it. But remember, it shouldnt' and doesn't stop with money. what about the local college fairs? One person can't do all that. Why should he/she want to?

"Dog and Pony Show"!? smh

To each his/her own...

Back