"Ain't No Santa!"

ATLJag

My wife and I have opposite views on whether or not we should tell our future children about Santa Claus. My wife wants to tell them about Santa while they are young and then reveal the truth later. Personally, I would rather tell them up front that there is no Santa and that what they receive from us is a result of our hard work and sacrifice as well as their obedience. I also want to instill in them that nothing is guaranteed and there are children and families out there that may not have good Christmas seasons for various reasons. I feel that children need to learn about the real world and what to expect early on so that it is they aren't running around thinking about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, or any other foolishness like that. What do you all think?

I agree with you, but I understand how your wife feels, and probably don't want them to become ostracized by their peers in school. However, I see no need for such fables.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Wow.

We as adults are spoiling/ruining a lot of isht for kids. I think adults makes isht so not serious. I mean why not let it be and allow that child (your future child) to experience christmas the "childly" way. Everything that you said about teaching your kids about needy families, your hard work paid for the toys, etc., they will learn all that isht eventually as they get older; so why rush and put all that on them so soon. They aint grown enough for that.

Didn't you enjoy your Christmas as a child? If not I did; and my parents didnt really have to tell me the truth; it happened kind of naturally; i.e. peers, observation, common sense, etc. lol.

Man...let kids be kids.

"Snake"

My wife and I have opposite views on whether or not we should tell our future children about Santa Claus. My wife wants to tell them about Santa while they are young and then reveal the truth later. Personally, I would rather tell them up front that there is no Santa and that what they receive from us is a result of our hard work and sacrifice as well as their obedience. I also want to instill in them that nothing is guaranteed and there are children and families out there that may not have good Christmas seasons for various reasons. I feel that children need to learn about the real world and what to expect early on so that it is they aren't running around thinking about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, or any other foolishness like that. What do you all think?

Bilbrew,

I know it's hard to not tell the truth, but I understand. I chose not to tell my son the truth about Santa. He will figure it out as he get's older. Why make the kid feel bad when all he see's and hears during Christmas is images of Santa.

I enjoyed Christmas as a child, but I wouldn't say that it was because of Santa. I just don't see the need to insult a child's intelligence with fantasies and bs. Hell, these days a child could probably just go on Google and find out that there isn't a Santa, so you may not have to wait until they are 6 or 7 to tell them the truth :lol:

Wow.

We as adults are spoiling/ruining a lot of isht for kids. I think adults makes isht so not serious. I mean why not let it be and allow that child (your future child) to experience christmas the "childly" way. Everything that you said about teaching your kids about needy families, your hard work paid for the toys, etc., they will learn all that isht eventually as they get older; so why rush and put all that on them so soon. They aint grown enough for that.

Didn't you enjoy your Christmas as a child? If not I did; and my parents didnt really have to tell me the truth; it happened kind of naturally; i.e. peers, observation, common sense, etc. lol.

Man...let kids be kids.

"Snake"

THANK YOU! Gotdayum! They'll be grown soon enough and figure it out. Why our chaps got to be "adults" at 5? :lol: Then we talking about how "grown" they are. I let my kid think there was Santa until somebody else told him. Hell, he still acting like he thinks there is. You have to admit, there IS something magical about Christmas. Let them enjoy the magic...cause there is plenty of ugly to see later on. :tup:

I enjoyed Christmas as a child, but I wouldn't say that it was because of Santa. I just don't see the need to insult a child's intelligence with fantasies and bs. Hell, these days a child could probably just go on Google and find out that there isn't a Santa, so you may not have to wait until they are 6 or 7 to tell them the truth :lol:

...but that's the thang.

When they are that age, fantasies are in their little heads; so it all goes hand-in-hand. Now, I do see where you are coming from; but I think its a time for everything. As long as you do the right things with raising your child, that Santa Claus myth should be the last of your worries.

"Snake"

I tell my young relatives all the time that there is no Santa, Easter bunny or Tooth Fairy.

I was just having this conversation with my little cousin today. She said she believed in the Tooth Fairy until her dad took her loose tooth from under her pillow and waited until she woke up the next morning.

She said, "Where's my tooth?" Her dad held it his hand and said, "There is no Tooth Fairy." Then gave her a dollar. Her mom said since then she has been telling all the kids in her neighborhood that there isn't a Santa or Tooth Fairy.

I think it's great. All ya'll lying to ya'll kids on a holiday that is supposed to be about celebrating Jesus' birth. LOL

Did you know that there are very few AA Sci-Fi writers? Or paranomal writers? I always thought it was because we can't FATHOM a Star Trek existence. We can only "imagine" what we see everyday and add a twist here and there, hoping someone will think it "fresh". But guess where the money is and we aren't even looking at it?

I tell my young relatives all the time that there is no Santa, Easter bunny or Tooth Fairy.

I was just having this conversation with my little cousin today. She said she believed in the Tooth Fairy until her dad took her loose tooth from under her pillow and waited until she woke up the next morning.

She said, "Where's my tooth?" Her dad held it his hand and said, "There is no Tooth Fairy." Then gave her a dollar. Her mom said since then she has been telling all the kids in her neighborhood that there isn't a Santa or Tooth Fairy.

I think it's great. All ya'll lying to ya'll kids on a holiday that is supposed to be about celebrating Jesus' birth. LOL

I think that's taking it a bit far. Santa is a FAIRY TALE, just like The Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Lady Luck, Leprechauns, etc. Y'all reading a bit much into it. I let my kid think there was a Santa, just like he thought all the rest. He seems to be just fine :tup: HOWEVER if little "adults" is your forte...go with it. :lol:

Let the kids enjoy life is my view. My parents did it. Now, that I see how cruel and ugly the world really is, I sometimes wish I could go back to being a child.

So no cartoons or Sesame Street either huh? :lol:

You don't have to PUSH Santa on him... I didn't do it with mine, but man let them use their imaginations. "Dad I know Santa is a real man... in a suit at the mall." :lol:

335b0b94-90af-4c1c-af57-f8aa0f0e6115.gif

I think that's taking it a bit far. Santa is a FAIRY TALE, just like The Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Lady Luck, Leprechauns, etc. Y'all reading a bit much into it. I let my kid think there was a Santa, just like he thought all the rest. He seems to be just fine :tup: HOWEVER if little "adults" is your forte...go with it. :lol:

You don't tell your kids they came into this world via a stork do you? LOL

Man, I was in the mall last week and I saw an Hispanic Santa. I guess even that is an EOE as well.

Last edited:
You don't tell your kids they came into this world via a stork do you? LOL

Yeah...:xeye: doesn't everybody? :lmao: Now, I ain't gonna have the birds and bees discussion at 3. But honestly, we lived on a farm so he's aware of how that happens...:nod:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
:smh: Mine is seven and still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy. He asked me was Santa real and I asked him if he wanted the truth. He said yes and I told him. He still went back to believing that he was real. :lmao: :lmao: Oh well, I'm not going to ruin it for him. Maybe next year will be the year that it sinks in.

Yeah...:xeye: doesn't everybody? :lmao: Now, I ain't gonna have the birds and bees discussion at 3. But honestly, we lived on a farm so he's aware of how that happens...:nod:

My mom told me the real deal about everything when I was young. Oh, and I kinda figured there was no Santa when I found most of my Christmas gifts in various spots around the crib in the days leading up to the big event.

:smh: Mine is seven and still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy. He asked me was Santa real and I asked him if he wanted the truth. He said yes and I told him. He still went back to believing that he was real. :lmao: :lmao: Oh well, I'm not going to ruin it for him. Maybe next year will be the year that it sinks in.

In Trey's mind: Uh uh. Ain't no WAY Moma can get ALL those gifts together by herself and I don't hear nothing? Uh uh. :lol:

My mom told me the real deal about everything when I was young. Oh, and I kinda figured there was no Santa when I found most of my Christmas gifts in various spots around the crib in the days leading up to the big event.

That's called too nosey for your own good. As my uncle used to say: "Sounds like you needed you jacket tightened up, son!"

That's called too nosey for your own good. As my uncle used to say: "Sounds like you needed you jacket tightened up, son!"

It's called being a nosey only child with nothing to do during Christmas break. I made finding gifts an art when I was a kid. Oh, and it helped that my parents hid the gifts in the same places every year. Then one year my mom change it up on me and hid stuff in the trunk of her car.

It's called being a nosey only child with nothing to do during Christmas break. I made finding gifts an art when I was a kid. Oh, and it helped that my parents hid the gifts in the same places every year. Then one year my mom change it up on me and hid stuff in the trunk of her car.

Dang...and you didn't even have Santa Claus to fantasize about and spend up some of your "nothing to do" time. :( I understand you better now...:tup:

Dang...and you didn't even have Santa Claus to fantasize about and spend up some of your "nothing to do" time. :( I understand you better now...:tup:

You can only play so many video games, watch so much TV and eat like a pot bellied pig before you get bored. Ah, good times, though. Finding Christmas gifts kept me out of trouble, and away from the mean streets of Chicago. I was the Michael Vick of finding gifts...except without the dogfighting of course. I could tear open the wrapping, look at what I got and wrap the thing back up before anyone found out about it.

**fell out** :dead: :lmao:

y'all are something else on this board...nothing wrong with these kids believing in SC. Hell, we all did at one point in our childhoods. I thought it was fun as hell, to leave cookies and milk out for SC, then go to bed early just to be awakened after midnight (when SC left, of course) and open all my gifts.

Then, as we got older we knew better...we started pretending to be asleep while mama & daddy nem brought eveything in from outside in the trunk of the car...:emlaugh:

Let the kids be kids...hell, they too damn grown now as it is. Let them enjoy their youth...we adults are the ones too uptight all the time. :smh:

This is unrelated, but it does speak to how some children are raised these days.

When we visited the in-laws at Thanksgiving, I found out that my 4-year-old nephew cannot tell you his full given name, address, or phone number on command. I feel that a child at that age should be able to give those items on command in case he or she gets lost or is snatched up just as my mother made sure that I knew mine at that age. However, some people were telling me that it wasn't a big deal and that he would learn it eventually.

Let the kids be kids...hell, they too damn grown now as it is. Let them enjoy their youth...we adults are the ones too uptight all the time. :smh:

I wish you were my mom when I was kid. My mom was super serious all the time. She still is to a degree. "Life ain't always about having fun!" she would say.

Back