ABC apologizes for intro to 'Monday Night Football'

PV-PRIDE

ABC apologizes for intro to 'Monday Night Football'

By Rudy Martzke, USA TODAY
ABC Sports apologized Tuesday for an "inappropriate" opening of the Philadelphia Eagles-Dallas Cowboys Monday Night Football telecast involving a sexually suggestive locker room meeting between Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens and ABC's Desperate Housewives' star Nicollette Sheridan.

Monday Night Football's racy opening segment with the Eagles' Terrell Owens and actress Nicollette Sheridan.
ABC TV

The bit involved Nicollette Sheridan, a star of ABC hit Desperate Housewives, and Eagles standout Terrell Owens. (Related story: Martzke: ABC's skit over the top)

Sheridan, playing her character from the show, wore only a towel as she tried to seduce Owens in the team locker room. Initially unable to entice him to skip the game for her, she dropped her towel. Owens then said, "Aw, hell, the team's going to have to win without me," and she jumped into his arms.

"We have heard from many of our viewers about last night's MNF opening segment, and we agree that the placement was inappropriate," ABC Sports Vice President Mark Mandel said in a statement. "We apologize."

ABC chose the opening despite a crackdown on suggestive TV acts by NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue after the Federal Communications Commission fined CBS-owned and -operated stations $550,000 after the baring of Janet Jackson's breast during the Super Bowl halftime show in February.

The FCC got complaints from viewers about Monday's piece and is reviewing the matter, said an FCC spokeswoman who declined to be identified.

NFL Vice President Greg Aiello said in a statement: "ABC's opening was inappropriate and unsuitable for our Monday Night Football audience. While ABC may have gained attention for one of its other shows, the NFL and its fans lost."

The piece was taped last week in the Eagles locker room, according to Mandel. The club said in a statement, "We appreciate that ABC has taken responsibility and has apologized. ... It is normal for teams to cooperate with ABC in the development of an opening for its broadcast. After seeing the final piece, we wish it hadn't aired."

Desperate Housewives, ranked No. 2 among prime-time shows, is the hottest new program this year. MNF ranks 10th among prime-time shows.

If an "apparent violation" of the rules is determined, the FCC would issue a "letter of inquiry" to ABC asking for more information about the incident. If a violation is ultimately determined, penalties that could include fines could ensue.

Didn't see anything to apologize about.....just a bunch of mad "WP" and "BW". I've seen a lot worse in prime time.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JagsPride said:
Can we ban prudes from watching football? This is stupid.
Co-sign! I thought it was a funny skit and quite appropriate going with the Desparate Housewives theme. Some people need to get a life. :mad:

I did not appreciate the opening because I was watching the opening of MNF, as I alway do, with my boys age 6 and 3. It was inappropriate for little kids.

How do you other parents answer the question, daddy, why did she take her clothes off?

Maybe its me, but I don't care for them to see that much skin.

All I want to know is have any of these people watched daytime Soaps, I've much worse between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on any given Monday - Friday. And I quite sure the younger audience when they are on their school breaks watch those soaps too. So I saw nothing wrong with the commercial, as a matter of fact I thought it was appropriate. What was seen, nothing but a bare back, have you seen that Lever 2000 commercial, you see just as much skin or more. Some people really do need to get a life.

cat daddy said:
I did not appreciate the opening because I was watching the opening of MNF, as I alway do, with my boys age 6 and 3. It was inappropriate for little kids.

How do you other parents answer the question, daddy, why did she take her clothes off?

The same way you answer the question "Daddy, what is erectile dysfunction?"

cat daddy said:

Cat Daddy, they just don't get it. It was totally inappropriate for what MNF has made its target audience for its openings over the last 3-4 years: younger kids age 8-10. It was not so much the towel-clad actress as it was the innuendo. I haven't watched a soap opera in 21 years and my teenagers (18 & 15) have never seen one. Yes, they have seen PG-13 movies, and that is how I would rate the opening based on what I see in theaters today.

No, I will never watch Desperate Housewives either. I would rather spend that time paying attention to my own wife :D

dacontinent said:
Cat Daddy, they just don't get it. It was totally inappropriate for what MNF has made its target audience for its openings over the last 3-4 years: younger kids age 8-10. It was not so much the towel-clad actress as it was the innuendo. I haven't watched a soap opera in 21 years and my teenagers (18 & 15) have never seen one. Yes, they have seen PG-13 movies, and that is how I would rate the opening based on what I see in theaters today.

No, I will never watch Desperate Housewives either. I would rather spend that time paying attention to my own wife :D

I knew I would be the odd man out on this one. As you stated, it should not be on TV. I don't watch Desperate Housewives and I also hate their commercials.

My thoughts:

I personally enjoyed the opening skit. Having said that, I can see how parents with young kids would have a problem with it. I also can understand how it would upset a large faction of our society with conservative values.

If it was my decision, I could not have pull the trigger and allow this to happen. Further, with the FCC levying hefty fines nowadays, it would have just made my decision that much easier.

I'm assuming the chick was white?

I'm sure this ain't really about parents being concerned.....

I saw it and I didn't get it. I was wondering what does this ugly white woman undressing in front of TO have to do with MNF. I have never watch Desparate Housewives, that's probably why I didn't get the skit.

i saw it! it was funny seeing country T.O. trying to act!

as far as being appropriate!

most of the people complaining be the same ones tryin to grab up binoculars at the football game to see the "dance girls" almost half there age!.... in front of the kids!!!...lets be real people

turn the channel!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Da_Sperm said:
I saw it and I didn't get it. I was wondering what does this ugly white woman undressing in front of TO have to do with MNF. I have never watch Desparate Housewives, that's probably why I didn't get the skit.

I didn't see the skit, but it sounds like something that shouldn't be on during the family hour (esp. with all the bruhaha surrounding Janet and her exposed breast at this year's Super Bowl.) But like someone said, it would be alot easier to turn the channel, than to squawk.

Sperm,

One thing I can say. If Nicolette Sheridan was the woman in the skit, the only thing I'll agree with you about is that she's white, cause she shole ain't ugly, bruh!! :cool:

alot of this uproar has to do with T.O. acting with a white woman! im sure it wouldnt have been deemed inappropriate if Brett Favre was doin the skit!

you would have heard things like ...."ohhh look at Brett and the actor from DH..they were great together! Brett should really take up acting you think dear"

and I know for sure black folks wouldnt complain...just take it from da man like we take everything else! ''hell they own the station..they can do what they want"..or some other stupid statement like that

...all while the kids are sittin there!

TRU3000 said:
alot of this uproar has to do with T.O. acting with a white woman! im sure it wouldnt have been deemed inappropriate if Brett Favre was doin the skit!

you would have heard things like ...."ohhh look at Brett and the actor from DH..they were great together! Brett should really take up acting you think dear"

and I know for sure black folks wouldnt complain...just take it from da man like we take everything else! ''hell they own the station..they can do what they want"..or some other stupid statement like that

...all while the kids are sittin there!

co sign....with extra point...
now, as a guy in my mid-20s...i grew up on mortal kombat, Grand Theft Auto, MTV, BET, HBO's Real Sex series and countless other things that make T.O. and Nicollette Sheridan look like Angela Landsbury in Murder She Wrote....folk are really po'ed cuz the blonde white woman jumped buck nekkit into the arms of the big strong young buck (ironically, heard what he allegedly did at the vibe awards????) named T.O...it's basically the plot to "Mandingo" ...except the main character likes to celebrate touchdowns...

hell, i thought it was funny how she was callin out Terrell's name... shid on Monday night, she was the only person able to stop him because the cowboy secondary shole didn't...

So, let me get this right. A white woman with nothing but a towel wrapped around her nekkid body tried to seduce T.O. into an empty locker room? He declined. Then she dropped her towel and jumped into his arms and they went for what they knew.

Sounds like something from the 1950's or 60's.

AAMU Alum said:
One thing I can say. If Nicolette Sheridan was the woman in the skit, the only thing I'll agree with you about is that she's white, cause she shole ain't ugly, bruh!! :cool:

Bruh, I don't know how she used to look, but this heffa is ugly.
new_nicolette2.jpg

TRU3000 said:

Basically.

Blacknbengal said:
So, let me get this right. A white woman with nothing but a towel wrapped around her nekkid body tried to seduce T.O. into an empty locker room? He declined. Then she dropped her towel and jumped into his arms and they went for what they knew.
Basically.

Black man + white woman = ALARM

Had it been Peyton Manning and some white chick...people would have thought that it was cute. It's the Justin/Janet thing all over again. Had it been Brittany and Justin...people would still be ranting and raving over it.

If people were so offended, simply change the damn channel.

Back