Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

**no comment** :D

If I told you more, I'd have to kill you. :saw: :saw: :goof: :goof: :lmao:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Taylor-Made'90 said:
I can answer that one....easily......

Two words, eight syllables, 21 letters......

<marquee>---------->Interpersonal Politics<----------</marquee>

:whatever: Shiiiid, Taylor even moved outta Woodhaven after Liddell came.... :D:D

LOL@T-Made. You speaketh the truth homeboy. I need to give ole Dowell a call.

vertojsu said:
Blake Gaines, musician extraordinaire...

~~~~running in, instigating~~~~

Chan Leggette could whupp Blake Gaines with one hand tied behind his back.......

~~~runs out fast~~~

:D:D:D

Taylor-Made'90 said:

Chan Leggette could whupp Blake Gaines with one hand tied behind his back.......

~~~runs out fast~~~

Where are Chan Leggette and Blake Gaines now? I know Blake Gaines used to arrange for Morris Brown. Ed Hudson was also an excellent arranger.

Hey, I'd forgotten about Ol Ed Hudson...... He was a good arranger, although I can't remember any of the tunes he wrote. I know we played several of his tunes though....

I remember when we went to Hollywood in '90, he wrote-out the complete score to WT's Series.... He wrote-out every part, including cymbals and quads... Even the dual tenor and bassdrum parts......

I wonder where Ol Ed is now.... Anybody know?

:smh:

Taylor-Made'90 said:

~~~runs out fast~~~

You better run...I'll just chalk up that little remark to ignunce, son. :lol: Since you didn't march with the Boom during the time that Blake was writing, how would you know who was the better writer???? Inquiring minds (in other words, people who did march with the Boom when he was there) would love to know.

BLUEBENGAL said:
Where are Chan Leggette and Blake Gaines now? I know Blake Gaines used to arrange for Morris Brown. Ed Hudson was also an excellent arranger.

Blake is in Atlanta doing the high school band director thing...

JR said:
Help me out old Boom members. I think Holden who went with Haughton to Va State was there. Alot of the Boom members were also arranging back then. I don't know when Chan Leggette started arranging but I remember seeing some of his arrangements. Also I can't remember if Blake Gaines was around then or not. Heck in Fall 82 I was just a 11th grader at Callaway then. LOL. I know the Boom played alot of Prof Davis stuff. I still got some of those arrangements that we got from JSU in HS. SIVAD was how
he signed his arrangements.

That 82 Boom was a monster. I still remember hearing Knights by Night by Cameo from them. Kevin Handy who was a crab Fall 82 arranged it for us in HS based on JSU's version. Talking about some screaming trumpets. Kenny Archer,Kenneth Dupplessis, Jesse Hall to name a few. SMH at the talent over there then. The SWAC was real in 82. Still remember when the Ocean came to Jackson with the "Drop the Bomb" show. :nod:

You have a very good memory...as a Fall 1979 Boom Crab, I can attest to the greatness of the Boom during those years. Mr. Holden (Fish) was writing for us as well as James Bonner (Starchild), and Blake. You have really done your homework. This is the most accurate post about 1982 I have seen in a long time. Not very many people remember Prof Davis and his legacy. I remember Kevin Handy - cool guy. Hall and the crew were on point back in the day.

jstate83 said:
Blake Gaines was THE MAN then. Holden and Chan Leggette were doing good work, but if you wanted a song written like it should be for a band ............... IT WAS BLAKE. :flamethro

This dude could get a song, break down each section in his head and have it transposed on paper, passing it out at the next pratice. NOBODY COULD WRITE LIKE BLAKE. :nod:

Speak, brother, speak!!!! :bowdown:

Taylor-Made'90 said:
Hey, I'd forgotten about Ol Ed Hudson...... He was a good arranger, although I can't remember any of the tunes he wrote. I know we played several of his tunes though....

I remember when we went to Hollywood in '90, he wrote-out the complete score to WT's Series.... He wrote-out every part, including cymbals and quads... Even the dual tenor and bassdrum parts......

I wonder where Ol Ed is now.... Anybody know?

:smh:

Ed Hudson is in the Army. Last I heard he was in South Carolina. I know Ed Hudson arranged "I Go to Work" by Kool Moe Dee in 1989.

vertojsu said:
You have a very good memory...as a Fall 1979 Boom Crab, I can attest to the greatness of the Boom during those years. Mr. Holden (Fish) was writing for us as well as James Bonner (Starchild), and Blake. You have really done your homework. This is the most accurate post about 1982 I have seen in a long time. Not very many people remember Prof Davis and his legacy. I remember Kevin Handy - cool guy. Hall and the crew were on point back in the day.

With one correction to JR's post....Knights by Knights was a 1981 selection. Although there is a possiblility we played it in 1982 also. :D

:smh: I remember the drop the bomb show too.

Drop the bomb on JSU..drop the bomb..drop the bomb!!

Drop the bomb on the Sonic Boom too. :uzi: Oh, how the JSU fans booed them for that!!!!!! :smash:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Chan Leggette silences Pride of Provine

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/p...0924/NEWS01/409240365&SearchID=73184923066521

'Fiasco' silences Pride of Provine

Without director, marching band disbands

By Billy Watkins
bwatkins@clarionledger.com

Greg Jenson/The Clarion-Ledger

Their T-shirts read: Pain is temporary, pride is forever. A little reminder that preseason practice in the hot August sun will pay off on Friday nights in the fall.

And, usually, the practicing doesn't ease up much at Jackson's Provine High School once football season begins. Last year, willing parents illuminated the practice field with their vehicle lights on numerous occasions when workouts outlasted the sun.

Oh, the football team worked hard, too, making it once again to the Class 4A playoffs.
But this is about the band ? The Pride of Provine. The band that has routinely won superior ratings at state competition for more than two decades. The band that has produced about 20 current members of Jackson State University's Sonic Boom.

The band, for the time being at least, has disbanded after losing a director candidate over the summer to Jackson State and after the interim director demanded changes in the band's style and song choices.

James McCloud left Provine after one year as band director, but Provine Principal Tex Red felt confident he had filled the position when he went on vacation in June.

"When I returned, I noticed there was no activity, no band rehearsals going on. They were supposed to begin July 12," Red says.
But the person he thought he had hired, Renardo Murray, never signed a contract with Jackson Public Schools and accepted the position as assistant band director at Jackson State instead. Murray did not return phone calls.

"That left me in a position to find a band director two or three weeks before school started," Red says. "I couldn't find one."

The school year began Aug. 9.

So he assigned the extra duty ? which usually brings with it additional pay of $1,000 or more per year ? to music teacher Chan Leggette, a newcomer from Rowan Middle School.

Leggette would not agree to be interviewed for this story and referred all questions to Red.

The problems began when Leggette told students and boosters he planned to make major changes in Provine's show and music selection, which for years had followed the funk-is-good style of JSU.

By the fourth week of school, all but a handful of the 70 members had quit. Band rehearsals were soon suspended. Leggette went back to solely teaching classes. And Provine began an immediate search for a new band director.

Red calls Leggette's situation "a personnel matter that I can't talk about."

Says Younger: "(Leggette) wants us to play songs from the '70s and '80s, which is fine.

"I understand he's the band leader, and we're not trying to tell him all the songs we're going to play. But there's a tradition here. We don't want to give that up completely."

One point of contention was what the band would say when called to attention. In the past, the band yelled in unison "pride!" Leggette had changed it to "yes!"

"That may seem like a small thing," Debra Sims says, "but it's a tradition these kids have grown up hearing and doing. It's a big deal to them."

But JSU band Director Lewis Liddell, who headed the program at Provine from 1976 through 1984, says the students and parents have a legitimate gripe.

"You just can't go into a place and change the whole program overnight," Liddell says. "What you do is learn what has made the program great in the past and build on it. Make changes, but make them gradually. You can kill a program if you go in there and say, 'We're going to do things my way.'

"I'll tell you this: Provine was the most disciplined band I've ever had at any level. They were focused, dedicated. They did their schoolwork. And when they came to practice, they treated it almost like a military operation. It really meant something to them."

Many received college scholarships ? another issue current band members are having to face.

"Everybody in our band has the potential to get a scholarship," Keith Sims says. "But if we're not playing and getting that exposure, it's not going to happen."

I wonder if Provine's band director, Chan Leggette, the guy Taylor-Made'90 is talking about?

Re: Chan Leggette silences Pride of Provine

BLUEBENGAL said:
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/p...0924/NEWS01/409240365&SearchID=73184923066521

'Fiasco' silences Pride of Provine

Without director, marching band disbands

By Billy Watkins
bwatkins@clarionledger.com

Greg Jenson/The Clarion-Ledger

Their T-shirts read: Pain is temporary, pride is forever. A little reminder that preseason practice in the hot August sun will pay off on Friday nights in the fall.

And, usually, the practicing doesn't ease up much at Jackson's Provine High School once football season begins. Last year, willing parents illuminated the practice field with their vehicle lights on numerous occasions when workouts outlasted the sun.

Oh, the football team worked hard, too, making it once again to the Class 4A playoffs.
But this is about the band ? The Pride of Provine. The band that has routinely won superior ratings at state competition for more than two decades. The band that has produced about 20 current members of Jackson State University's Sonic Boom.

The band, for the time being at least, has disbanded after losing a director candidate over the summer to Jackson State and after the interim director demanded changes in the band's style and song choices.

James McCloud left Provine after one year as band director, but Provine Principal Tex Red felt confident he had filled the position when he went on vacation in June.

"When I returned, I noticed there was no activity, no band rehearsals going on. They were supposed to begin July 12," Red says.
But the person he thought he had hired, Renardo Murray, never signed a contract with Jackson Public Schools and accepted the position as assistant band director at Jackson State instead. Murray did not return phone calls.

"That left me in a position to find a band director two or three weeks before school started," Red says. "I couldn't find one."

The school year began Aug. 9.

So he assigned the extra duty ? which usually brings with it additional pay of $1,000 or more per year ? to music teacher Chan Leggette, a newcomer from Rowan Middle School.

Leggette would not agree to be interviewed for this story and referred all questions to Red.

The problems began when Leggette told students and boosters he planned to make major changes in Provine's show and music selection, which for years had followed the funk-is-good style of JSU.

By the fourth week of school, all but a handful of the 70 members had quit. Band rehearsals were soon suspended. Leggette went back to solely teaching classes. And Provine began an immediate search for a new band director.

Red calls Leggette's situation "a personnel matter that I can't talk about."

Says Younger: "(Leggette) wants us to play songs from the '70s and '80s, which is fine.

"I understand he's the band leader, and we're not trying to tell him all the songs we're going to play. But there's a tradition here. We don't want to give that up completely."

One point of contention was what the band would say when called to attention. In the past, the band yelled in unison "pride!" Leggette had changed it to "yes!"

"That may seem like a small thing," Debra Sims says, "but it's a tradition these kids have grown up hearing and doing. It's a big deal to them."

But JSU band Director Lewis Liddell, who headed the program at Provine from 1976 through 1984, says the students and parents have a legitimate gripe.

"You just can't go into a place and change the whole program overnight," Liddell says. "What you do is learn what has made the program great in the past and build on it. Make changes, but make them gradually. You can kill a program if you go in there and say, 'We're going to do things my way.'

"I'll tell you this: Provine was the most disciplined band I've ever had at any level. They were focused, dedicated. They did their schoolwork. And when they came to practice, they treated it almost like a military operation. It really meant something to them."

Many received college scholarships ? another issue current band members are having to face.

"Everybody in our band has the potential to get a scholarship," Keith Sims says. "But if we're not playing and getting that exposure, it's not going to happen."

I wonder if Provine's band director, Chan Leggette, the guy Taylor-Made'90 is talking about?

Yep it is the one and only Chan Leggette. LOL@Liddell talking about changing things. Sad state of affairs at Provine. When I was at Callaway, we used to battle with Provine band all the time. Even at All-City time. Too bad the program went down. 70 members is smaller than my old Jr. High Band. I guess Callaway with its big azz band is just ruling Jackson these days. :winkgrin:

They had the best arrangement of "LET IT WHIP" I've ever heard. I have that on tape and the Prancing J-Settes were in a league of their own even back then. They could use that arrangement of let it whip now, cause the new arrangement is boo-boo

The 1983 Sonic Boom was a great band . I believe it was one of Haughtons best if not the best . I agree with Dewayne to a certain degree. The BOOM has so many stipulations and time cuts to follow now . Other bands have this problem with time on the field also. i believe that makes a world of difference and also the fact that the late 70's through early 80's were the Funk music years. Bands today always go back to sample that music because it was great band music. Most music today is not very marching band sensitive.

I'm glad you changed that from 83 to 82. :lol:

Cause 83 was :vomit:

Now, 1978 and 1981 were just plain old nasty!

Nasty meaning DA BOMB!! :smug2:

BLUEBENGAL said:
Mane, I would pay good money to hear that "Big Band Sound" sound again. I can't understand why Dowell Taylor isn't the chief arranger for JSU's band. William Davis was an arranger for Haughton after he stepped down as head band director. I guess Dowell Taylor wants no part of a Liddell band. Oh well, no use in beating a dead horse. :bawling:

HELL NAW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why !!!! Liddell is suppose to be the big man on campus...

I mean...Dowell Taylor...was the COMPLETE PACKAGE..wrote music...charted shows....helped on the dance committee.......Let the Boom play what they want...............Was not a control FREAK :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

DT..could write for Canton High School "The Baby Boom" and they would have the Power, Balance, and Big Band Sound that you want !!!!!!!!!!!!
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back