1982 Sonic Boom of the South

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger
I was at JSU from 1981 to 1984. Since there were no TBS, I probably didn't hang out being that the band was all male at the time. I do remember the bruhs from KKY hanging with ya'll....:) We had alot of members from Louisiana in JSU's band that knew SU members from their high school.

At halftime it was on...but after the game it was straight up folks just hanging out having a good time. :cool:

There were Sorors (ZZ), they just weren't in the Marching Band. You are correct, the bros (ZN) usually had very good relationships with both the Bros and Sorors since we hung out with them on road trips and entertained them when they came to Baton Rouge.

I was a Crab in '84 with JR. So, it doesn't look like we would have met, especially since JSU came to Baton Rouge in '84.

Will you be at the SU vs JSU game in Jackson this year?

Peace!

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger
Okay, here is ya hint....I'm your LS and I was the last forward, and the first backward.

Can ya hear me now?? :cool:

:shame: :)

JR,
I don't feel as bad as I was starting to feel. AS we grow older, we don't stay in touch as much as we use to and I was starting to be a little shameful on how little me and my LSs and LBs stay in touch.

Now to see ShyLadyTiger and Bengal E are on the SWACPage and wasn't aware who each other were... OK, I'm alright now.

That was cute.

ShyLadyTiger sounds like the type of Soror we use to love to hang with. "Don't make me come to Georgia and cut cha'..." :)

Aaaahh yeah! Love those bros! Love the sistas!!!

PEACE!!!

The 1981 & 1982 Sonic Boom really had a good sound. Who was their chief arranger back then? They really don't sound the same today.

JAGCAT said:
The 1981 & 1982 Sonic Boom really had a good sound. Who was their chief arranger back then? They really don't sound the same today.

Help me out old Boom members. I think Holden who went with Haughton to Va State was there. Alot of the Boom members were also arranging back then. I don't know when Chan Leggette started arranging but I remember seeing some of his arrangements. Also I can't remember if Blake Gaines was around then or not. Heck in Fall 82 I was just a 11th grader at Callaway then. LOL. I know the Boom played alot of Prof Davis stuff. I still got some of those arrangements that we got from JSU in HS. SIVAD was how
he signed his arrangements.

That 82 Boom was a monster. I still remember hearing Knights by Night by Cameo from them. Kevin Handy who was a crab Fall 82 arranged it for us in HS based on JSU's version. Talking about some screaming trumpets. Kenny Archer,Kenneth Dupplessis, Jesse Hall to name a few. SMH at the talent over there then. The SWAC was real in 82. Still remember when the Ocean came to Jackson with the "Drop the Bomb" show. :nod:

First off, I would like to humbly greet the BOOM as a whole, but moreso the BOOM of '82. I have seen various tapes and I must say that the sound was there, as well as the blend and balance as a whole. Of course, as with anything in life, things change, but the essences of it never really fades away. The Sonic Boom of the South, is well diverse when it comes to musicianship and that is why I feel in love with the BOOM. Although the dances aren't too hot the sound is nice, and as with any and program there are "internal" things that each program could work on. No doubt that "99" was hot too, but everyone will forever say ain't nothing like old' skool, and I am sure 22 years later, I will be shouting the same tune as you all, but for now I will remain silent, '82 yall got it. :tup:

JR said:
Help me out old Boom members. I think Holden who went with Haughton to Va State was there. Alot of the Boom members were also arranging back then. I don't know when Chan Leggette started arranging but I remember seeing some of his arrangements. Also I can't remember if Blake Gaines was around then or not. Heck in Fall 82 I was just a 11th grader at Callaway then. LOL. I know the Boom played alot of Prof Davis stuff. I still got some of those arrangements that we got from JSU in HS. SIVAD was how
he signed his arrangements.

Blake Gaines was THE MAN then. Holden and Chan Leggette were doing good work, but if you wanted a song written like it should be for a band ............... IT WAS BLAKE. :flamethro

This dude could get a song, break down each section in his head and have it transposed on paper, passing it out at the next pratice. NOBODY COULD WRITE LIKE BLAKE. :nod:

JAGCAT said:

The "Big Band Sound" is the thing I miss the most when I hear a Dr. Liddell directed "Sonic Boom". The sound is so trumpet heavy now; it's not a full balanced sound. We used to watch Jackson State's band on BET in the late eighties, my mother would hear Jackson State?s band playing in another room, she would say "that's Jackson State."

TBone2 said:
The "Big Band Sound" is the thing I miss the most when I hear a Dr. Liddell directed "Sonic Boom". The sound is so trumpet heavy now; it's not a full balanced sound. We used to watch Jackson State's band on BET in the late eighties, my mother would hear Jackson State?s band playing in another room, she would say "that's Jackson State."

Ain't it the truth. :rolleyes:

jstate83 said:
Blake Gaines was THE MAN then. Holden and Chan Leggette were doing good work, but if you wanted a song written like it should be for a band ............... IT WAS BLAKE. :flamethro

This dude could get a song, break down each section in his head and have it transposed on paper, passing it out at the next pratice. NOBODY COULD WRITE LIKE BLAKE. :nod:
Did you know Blake Gaines march in the JUKEBOX also? He did a great job for JSU.:lol:

TBone2 said:

It's the song's they pick to play now. :argue: (I know it's comming.) :ebrow:

You won't get that full sound playing a "1 line hook" song from the Ying Yang Twins like you would playing Cameo's "Night's By Night's" or Earth, Wind, & Fire's "Get Away." :eek:

You can't "FAKE" your way through songs like those. If you can't play, YO ARSE WILL BE EXPOSED.

On rap songs, (I don't have anything against them being played -- PARTY ON DUDES :) ), everybody plays the same hook, loud as possiable, then dance in the stands to the beat for the next 5 minutes.

On songs like the one's I mentioned by Cameo, EW & F, and others on this line, each SECTION from woodwind's to brass, to precussion, has SPECIFIC PARTS THAT MUST BE PLAYED from 1st to 3rd chair. That's where the full sound comes from. I MISS IT> :bawling: :bawling: :goof: :goof: :D

OnlySU said:
Did you know Blake Gaines march in the JUKEBOX also? He did a great job for JSU.:lol:

YEP .................... We use to give him "Greif and Pain" about that every day. It was all in fun though. :D

jstate83 said:
It's the song's they pick to play now. :argue: (I know it's comming.) :ebrow:

You won't get that full sound playing a "1 line hook" song from the Ying Yang Twins like you would playing Cameo's "Night's By Night's" or Earth, Wind, & Fire's "Get Away." :eek:

You can't "FAKE" your way through songs like those. If you can't play, YO ARSE WILL BE EXPOSED.

On rap songs, (I don't have anything against them being played -- PARTY ON DUDES :) ), everybody playes the same hook, loud as possiable, then dance in the stands to the beat for the next 5 minutes.

On songs like the one's I mentioned by Cameo, EW & F, and others on this line, each SECTION from woodwind's to brass, to precussion, has SPECIFIC PARTS THAT MUST BE PLAYED from 1st to 3rd chair. That's where the full sound comes from. I MISS IT> :bawling: :bawling: :goof: :goof: :D
YOU ARE SO RIGHT.........AMEN

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
dacontinent said:
Steve Griffin was another arranger in that bunch. Anyone know what became of him?

Steve from Tallulah? :lol:

Naw, haven't heard much on him since.

jstate83 said:

Hey LB...don't forget Kerry Jackson! :D

But Blake was the TRUTH! :nod2:

SB99 said:
Although the dances aren't too hot the sound is nice, and as with any and program there are "internal" things that each program could work on.

Dude, that could have been because back then we didn't put our horns down when we danced.

We played and danced the entire dance routine, so it would have been kind of hard doing the cabbage patch or the running man while playing. :lol: ;)

It would have been broke teeth and bleeding lips everywhere! :lol:

SLT said:
Dude, that could have been because back then we didn't put our horns down when we danced.

We played and danced the entire dance routine, so it would have been kind of hard doing the cabbage patch or the running man while playing. :lol: ;)

It would have been broke teeth and bleeding lips everywhere! :lol:

'82, I am all for dancing and playing, but I am from the ATL; therefore, I am for a crunk dance routine. And I can't recall a time when I put my horn down on the ground. But ay, I feel you though when you say it would have been broke teeth and so forth. But you gotta admit now, the dances weren't the best now, but then again you could be from MS and use to not poppin' and so forth.

Okay my Boom Brothers and Sister's what's happening? Please do not forget about the arrangers Joe "Applejack" Goree, James "Starchild" Bonner in your "Old" Memories. I have been reading posts for a while but like DACONTINENTsaid, i reserve to comment on Liddell days because i only know what i see. Now the Haughton Era is what gets me fired up! I marched in War-N-Thunder/ Funky 4 from Fall 1980 - Fall 1983. We really had it going on then but i agree. There was something about the "83" year that just wasn't quite there. Maybe it was because Harold Haughton was preparing to leave after the season was over, i am not sure, but anywhoo, You guys bring back so many memories for me. :love:

with Boom Luv,

Pat Gray-Williams
1st Female ORIGINAL FUNKY4------4 life

TBone2 said:

Mane, I would pay good money to hear that "Big Band Sound" sound again. I can't understand why Dowell Taylor isn't the chief arranger for JSU's band. William Davis was an arranger for Haughton after he stepped down as head band director. I guess Dowell Taylor wants no part of a Liddell band. Oh well, no use in beating a dead horse. :bawling:

BLUEBENGAL said:
I can't understand why Dowell Taylor isn't the chief arranger for JSU's band. William Davis was an arranger for Haughton after he stepped down as head band director. I guess Dowell Taylor wants no part of a Liddell band. Oh well, no use in beating a dead horse. :bawling:

I can answer that one....easily......

Two words, eight syllables, 21 letters......

<marquee>---------->Interpersonal Politics<----------</marquee>

:whatever: Shiiiid, Taylor even moved outta Woodhaven after Liddell came.... :D:D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :smash: :smash: :smash:
Didn't want to say anything. :goof: :goof:

He also took the music he wrote AND ALL THE OLD SHOW CHARTS from the Haughton --Papa Duke era. :)

That's why you don't see different drills much anymore. :nod:

jstate83 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :smash: :smash: :smash:
Didn't want to say anything. :goof: :goof:

He also took the music he wrote AND ALL THE OLD SHOW CHARTS from the Haughton --Papa Duke era. :)

That's why you don't see different drills much anymore. :nod:

So that's the reason for the floating JSU drill year after year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back