1982 Sonic Boom of the South

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosko

I don't know how many of you are aware of the 1982 Edition of the Sonic Boom of the South. For those of you that have the 2000 JSU Comp. tape, you have seen them. Alot of us (Boom Members) talk about the 1990 Edition but I think the 82' Edition got them hands down. You talking about Balance, Drilling (8-5, Formations, Tempo) etc this is the band! That concert tune titled Never Goona Say Goodbye was KILLING and words just can't express the Drill. I have seen other shows from this band and I just want to say that I was very impressed! What do you all think?

Luv Da Boom

T.O.P Krab 1997

Hump N 2 Please

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Shake_em_Off
I don't know how many of you are aware of the 1982 Edition of the Sonic Boom of the South. For those of you that have the 2000 JSU Comp. tape, you have seen them. Alot of us (Boom Members) talk about the 1990 Edition but I think the 82' Edition got them hands down. You talking about Balance, Drilling (8-5, Formations, Tempo) etc this is the band! That concert tune titled Never Goona Say Goodbye was KILLING and words just can't express the Drill. I have seen other shows from this band and I just want to say that I was very impressed! What do you all think?

Luv Da Boom

T.O.P Krab 1997

Hump N 2 Please

Thanks. Finally there is some appreciation for the Haughton-Davis era. There were several killer editions of The Boom in those days.

I've decided to stay out of the Taylor-Liddell debate and just enjoy my own memories.

Originally posted by Shake_em_Off

Luv Da Boom

T.O.P Krab 1997

Hump N 2 Please

They must have been an improvement on the previous year and better than the following year because I saw a tape of either the 81 pr 83 BOOM, and I was not as impressed with it as I usually am with older BOOMs

Thank you, thank you very much. As a member (crab) of the '82 band thank you for taking the time to acknowledge some of what we try to tell the BOOM members of today. Again I thank you.

Yes, 83 sucked. Even IMO I believe that could have possibly been the worst BOOM ever. Especially at a time when the SWAC had some of it's best bands ever (SU, TSU's, Valley etc.)

Re: Re: 1982 Sonic Boom of the South

Originally posted by FunkyTone_98_2

They must have been an improvement on the previous year and better than the following year because I saw a tape of either the 81 pr 83 BOOM, and I was not as impressed with it as I usually am with older BOOMs

I agree with Bengal E on this one. 83' Boom was not impressive at all, but as a crab of 81', I must say 1982 was a very good year!

;)

Originally posted by Bengal E
Thank you, thank you very much. As a member (crab) of the '82 band thank you for taking the time to acknowledge some of what we try to tell the BOOM members of today. Again I thank you.

Yes, 83 sucked. Even IMO I believe that could have possibly been the worst BOOM ever. Especially at a time when the SWAC had some of it's best bands ever (SU, TSU's, Valley etc.)

What my frat said. 82 was a great Boom year. SU and JSU had a battle royal in BR at the Baton Rouge Memorial Stadium. I was a HS Jr that Fall growing up in Jackson. Pretty much JSU was really great from 78-82, then Fall 83 was the drop off year.(One of the reasons that I went to SU to next year after HS). Taylor replaced Haughton in 84, my Fr year at SU and quickly returned JSU back to power. I remember the"L" we took on our HC in 84 from the Boom. LOL. Bands during that late 70's thru the mid to late 80s were on another level. It aint even a debate in my mind. You couldn't sleep on any band back then.

There were some sno-nuff 'hosses' on the Jaycette line in '82. 'Cause one of them was a student worker in the Office of Development, of which I had a vested interest...:D

Can anybody name any Jaycettes from then?

:dude:

:tup: Boom'82

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
Who can name some of the Prancing 'hosses' that year, '82?

Paula Haynes :bowdown: , Sonya Ellis, Audrey Terry, Adrienne Armstrong, Jerinda Lewis, Rochelle Smith, Alica Smith, Carman Bradford, Sophia Washington, Anita Stasher, Angela Stevens.

There were some sno-nuff 'hosses' on the Jaycette line in '82. 'Cause one of them was a student worker in the Office of Development, of which I had a vested interest...:D

Yeah, but you were just a wet behind the ears near middle schooler at the time.

:p :p :p

Can anybody name any Jaycettes from then?

:tup: Boom'82

The 1982 Prancing J-Settes were the last of the Hosses (Stallions)!

Man but did yall check out that twirler back then.......he had those head moves and facial expressions going on....lol! The outfits were commical as well.

Originally posted by JSU
The 1982 Prancing J-Settes were the last of the Hosses (Stallions)!

The Head J-Sette that year was a brick house (Paula Hayes). Thick in the thighs and hips and small in the waist, they don't make them like that anymore. :blush:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I know this is coming outta left field with this:

Does anybody know where Philip Brewer and Walter Bishop are?

They were Boom DMs back in 77-79 I think? Walter was a student worker in my dad's office.....

:confused: :confused:

Naw I don't know them T Made, but one of the DM's from the 80 era was directing an ensemble here in ATL at the Alumni Conference. I'll have to get the name and get back to you....

Originally posted by ms.sonic96
Naw I don't know them T Made, but one of the DM's from the 80 era was directing an ensemble here in ATL at the Alumni Conference. I'll have to get the name and get back to you....

James Berry :D

He Turnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn it out...

:jump:

What people have to realize when judging a band from different years is that there were different rules. From 96 on back bands didn't even have a time limit and could play in the stands all they wanted. So on the field the dancing and drilling could go for ever. People say "The Boom aint what it use to be." But in actuality, There isn't much difference. I mean, how much can you do in 5 to 7 min on the field. People who don't understand true musicianship would say that the old boom was better because they had longer dances. That to me was the only difference. If you ask me, the musician ship stayed the same, or got better. The point is that power never left the band. The band has actually gotten more powerful in the late 90's up until now. I grew up on JSU so I know. The only thing that the band had from about 95 on back was louder tubas and more time on the field.

Sonic Boom from 1990 back - balanced sound
Sonic Boom 1991 - 1999 - needed more sound
Sonic Boom 2000 - 2002 - LOUD

I agree with you JSU almost. 1997 and 1999 was loud also. 1996 was a transition year. 98 was a small band because of alot of the 1994 crabs had left. 1999 was rebuilding and thanks to the crabs of 98 and 99 2000 through 2002 were great bands.

I just want you young guys and gals to realize how honest the ole heads are about their craft. A JSU alum being real about '83 and a SU alum being real about getting caught by the Boom. We were like that. If you were better that night, you were better. I remember the time it was close. Even then, we came back the next week all in each others butts to push us to another level. It was bad enough it was close or that you got caught off guard, there was no way you could allow another band to find the rumor to be true when they faced you. :)

I've been on my Cameo flashbacks for about a week. JSU use to really rock some Cameo in the late 70's and early 80's. When I got to SU and "Funky J" was one of our directors, we rocked a many a stadiums with Cameo. But, yes, JSU use to really tight and they had their own style. It was like that back then. All the better bands had their own style (SU, JSU, TxSU, TnSU, FAMU, etc..).

If you can see old clips (late 70's and 80's) of these bands, you will see some serious energy, pride, and a song list that would scare you.

Peace!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back